PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Hot Rails install

Take 'Em
02-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Thinking of retrofitting an older japanese strat, with a Duncan Hot Rails Humbucker to replace the single coil bridge PU.

Anybody have any good or bad experiences with the Duncan Hot Rails?

jhale667
02-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I've installed a few for people...very high output. Very close to a full-size humbucker sound.....

jackassrock
02-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Nuttin' but LUV for the Hot Rails. I don't only use them, I suggest you use them as well.

That is, if you're going for the overdriven sound.

Take 'Em
02-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
I've installed a few for people...very high output. Very close to a full-size humbucker sound.....

Set anybody up with a Bridge Hot Rail while keeping the stock single coils on the middle/neck positions?

jhale667
02-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Takeem5
Set anybody up with a Bridge Hot Rail while keeping the stock single coils on the middle/neck positions?

That was usually the case...

The Lil'59 and JB Jr. are cool, too.

Take 'Em
02-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Cool. Thanks for the input guys. Hate to go there, but Guitar Center has a special on Hot Rails for $29 each. Probably going today and operate tonight.

Don Corleone
02-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Hot Rails are a good pick ups. I used to use them in one of my strats. Dave Murray from Maiden uses them in all of his Strats these days.

doctor roth
02-05-2006, 10:01 PM
yeah i've got a jap strat with hotrails in the bridge, sounds great

sagebrush
02-15-2006, 03:02 AM
That was usually the case...

The Lil'59 and JB Jr. are cool, too.

The lil'59 is a good pickup but have you used the evolution ? I got a stevie ray vaughan strat and it came with '' texas special pickups '' and i replaced them with hot rails about 3 years ago , just did the evolution upgrade 3 weeks ago it made it so thick , fat and super hot . Just wanted to know if you like the evolution single-coils over the hot rails ?

jhale667
02-15-2006, 03:31 AM
I haven't heard the evolutions in anything other than a stock Ibanez, so can't really comment on them versus the hot rails. In both cases liked them, but didn't want to rush out and buy some. My favorite single coils are still the Dimarzio virtual vintage. But if you're looking for a quasi-humbucker tone and don't want to carve a full-size hole in a Strat, the single-coil sized humbuckers are the way to go....

ELVIS
02-15-2006, 06:35 AM
I think the Hot rails look terrable in a Stratocaster...

My favorite is a HS-3 stacked humbucker and it looks exactly like a stock vintage single coil...

The Virtual Vintage is nice as well...

:elvis:

sagebrush
02-15-2006, 07:10 PM
I haven't heard the evolutions in anything other than a stock Ibanez, so can't really comment on them versus the hot rails. In both cases liked them, but didn't want to rush out and buy some. My favorite single coils are still the Dimarzio virtual vintage. But if you're looking for a quasi-humbucker tone and don't want to carve a full-size hole in a Strat, the single-coil sized humbuckers are the way to go....

If you like the evolution hum the single will not disappoint ! I think there as hot as the hum just in the single form . The evolution looks like the stock pickups ( black , white , green ,ect ) .

Diamondjimi
02-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I think the Hot rails look terrable in a Stratocaster...

My favorite is a HS-3 stacked humbucker and it looks exactly like a stock vintage single coil...

The Virtual Vintage is nice as well...

I have a Joe Barden dual railed single in my Strat (bridge) . Sounds great . Not fussy about looks as long as the tone is there.

I use an HS-3 in the neck position. Great response and tone !

jhale667
02-15-2006, 09:50 PM
I used to use the HS-3s until Steve Blucher of Dimarzio turned me on to the Virtual Vintages. Plus there's no many variations almost anyone could figure out their own dream set...I'm using the Solo, '54, and Blues models, and I love them. Plus they are DEAD QUIET.
Case in point: One of my oldest friends just picked up a vintage Marshall Plexi on Ebay and rented a rehearsal studio so we could take it in and turn it up to '10' to see if it would do the 'Brown' sound (it did). I also brought along one of my Virtual Vintage-equipped Strats because he wanted to check them out. Just to fuck with him I plugged in and left my guitar's volume on 10...mind you, this is THROUGH A VINTAGE MARSHALL CRANKED. I said "Quiet, huh?" He looks at me confused, says "Dunno, let's hear 'em?" So I just grinned at him and struck a big power chord....you should have SEEN his jaw drop. He was like "HOLY SHIT!!!"--he thought my guitar volume was all the way off!

ELVIS
02-15-2006, 10:18 PM
I have HS-3's in the bridge in almost all of my Strats and they all sound totally different...

They don't artificially color the sound...

In the neck position I use HS-2's or just a stock Fender pickup...

I don't mind a little hum on the neck position, but for recording I use the HS-2...

To me the HS-2 sounds like a stock single coil with no hum, and the HS-3 is warmer and sounds nice with a loud overdrive...

I constantly switch from neck to bridge and back...

jhale667
02-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Yeah, they're cool...you should try the Virtuals. The cool thing about them is: Like the 'Texas Specials', but hate the noise? Virtual Vintage Blues or Heavy Blues. More of a complete vintage freak? Try the '54s. Want one that'll do traditional Strat AND approach a P-90 vibe? The Solo. Not to mention the 2.1, 2.2s....tons of choices.

ELVIS
02-15-2006, 10:29 PM
I did try one once, but don't remember what it was and my setup was not nearly as nice as it is today...

Actually, I was planning on the '54's when I finish my '55...

scottd1984
02-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
Hot Rails are a good pick ups. I used to use them in one of my strats. Dave Murray from Maiden uses them in all of his Strats these days.

Don,correct me if i'm wrong,but doesn't Janick Gers use Hot Rails in his Strats too?

sammysucks65
02-22-2006, 07:20 PM
i love maidens guitars murrays got the coolest strat next to srv and clapton