PDA

View Full Version : Hot for Teacher

jslav06
02-04-2006, 05:46 PM
I heard this kinda stupid theory that the intro to Hot for Teacher was done with a motorcyle revving up and processed through synthesizers. PLease tell me this is wrong.

jslav06
02-04-2006, 05:50 PM
And I'll have you know that this came up in an arguement. So dammit, please tell me this is false. It has to be.

spmusicplyr
02-04-2006, 05:54 PM
yea it is..its just drums man .....but i remember the first time i heard it i thought it was a bike too

jslav06
02-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Thank you. I am very happy.

Douglas T.
02-04-2006, 07:32 PM
The tweeters go rat a tat tat the bass goes boom boom boom as I turn the key to my transport home. It must be right 'cuz tunes on que! It's CFTH threef'r on 101.1FM ... soundtrack for the ride! As I put 'er in drive "What's the teacher ganna look like this year!? FUCK'd man!" The most highly played F~Bomb on radio today!

Big Fat Sammy
02-04-2006, 07:39 PM
I thought he said "My BUTT" :)

Where did ya get that avatar DT? :D

Douglas T.
02-04-2006, 07:44 PM
HHmmm I'll never tell ... :cool:

DavidLeeNatra
02-07-2006, 08:51 AM
it's done with synthi-drums...

katie
02-07-2006, 07:36 PM
He press rolls with his rght hand, which has a great effect on those hard plastic synth drums.
Great intro
great guitar
great song
great album
great ideas......

Then Dave left and VH had no idea at all period.

Nickdfresh
02-07-2006, 08:02 PM
ALEX claimed he did it on two takes (getting it right the second time I think) and six beers...

Bob_R
02-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
ALEX claimed he did it on two takes (getting it right the second time I think) and six beers...

I thought it was 6 takes and 2 beers? ;)

jslav06
02-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
I thought it was 6 takes and 2 beers? ;)

Oh Alex, always the lightweight.

Cathedral
02-08-2006, 02:02 AM
LMMFAO, an engine revving?
Well, that may have been the goal, but how can anyone confuse toms and bass drums for a non-existant engine sound?

Vrrrrooooommm Vrrrrrooooommm!

No, that wasn't an engine, I just typed, Vrrrrooooommm Vrrrrrooooommm!

jslav06, buy your friend a glass of shut the hell up, and then sell him a clue. :)

Big Troubles
02-08-2006, 08:39 AM
apparently Dave ad-libbed most of the song as well. It popped up in an Ed interview that he was amazed at how easily Roth came up with lyrics to the songs. Im pretty sure HFT was one of them.

jslav06
02-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
LMMFAO, an engine revving?
Well, that may have been the goal, but how can anyone confuse toms and bass drums for a non-existant engine sound?

Vrrrrooooommm Vrrrrrooooommm!

No, that wasn't an engine, I just typed, Vrrrrooooommm Vrrrrrooooommm!

jslav06, buy your friend a glass of shut the hell up, and then sell him a clue. :)

Oh I did. Then I kicked him in the balls.

Dirty Duck
02-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by jslav06
I heard this kinda stupid theory that the intro to Hot for Teacher was done with a motorcyle revving up and processed through synthesizers. PLease tell me this is wrong.

Nah man....that was PANAMA...

Dirty Duck
02-08-2006, 05:01 PM
...only it was a lambourgini.

Dirty Duck
02-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by jslav06

..and it was eddies lambourgini....

eiether way it was panama they used the special effect on..

Dirty Duck
02-08-2006, 05:03 PM
I cant spell for shit today

jslav06
02-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Dirty Duck
I cant spell for shit today

You're forgiven.

Douglas T.
02-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Spelling is impertant if you wunt to be HFT!

UGS
02-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
apparently Dave ad-libbed most of the song as well. It popped up in an Ed interview that he was amazed at how easily Roth came up with lyrics to the songs. Im pretty sure HFT was one of them.

Originally there was supposed to be actual sung verses, but Dave thought it would be cooler to just use dialogue. Awesome. This song is just legendary.

Terry
03-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Was actually a pretty good performance by AVH...thought he had overdubbed or multi-tracked his drums in layers when I heard the album, but he pulled it off just fine live on the 1984 tour.

Nickdfresh
03-05-2006, 09:54 PM
As much as I think ALEX is a cunt, it's great drumming...

katie
03-06-2006, 08:04 PM
As much as I think ALEX is a cunt, it's great drumming...

It was probably his finest moment.
Can't think of any he had after 84...................

Loons The Great
03-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Are y'all talkin' 'bout the...yeah, we runnin' a lil' bit hot tonight...vroooooooom...part??

Loons The Great
03-18-2006, 11:12 AM

Haven't Eddie and Alex always claimed that EVERYTHING they've ever recorded only took one or two takes?? I don't believe 'em.

DavidLeeNatra
03-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
Haven't Eddie and Alex always claimed that EVERYTHING they've ever recorded only took one or two takes?? I don't believe 'em.

I'd just bring it to...I don't believe 'em

Terry
03-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Loons The Great

I'd say maybe on the first two albums they did a lot of that stuff in not many takes. Wouldn't be too hard to imagine, since they had been playing that stuff for years already by the time they recorded it.

Stuff on the 1984 album I'd have to imagine took much longer, since the album itself took a while to record...

I'm not really impressed with the amount of takes, anyway. Shit, I remember Ed saying something about how Alex played along to Love Comes Walking In without a click track...pretty much like, well, it's a shit song, so who cares?

Loons The Great
03-25-2006, 12:14 AM
Great post, Terry! I guess what I was sayin' is...that I'm so sick and tired of all of Eddie and Alex's bullshit, lies, and spin doctoring. And buzzkilling the whole classic Van Halen legend. I don't believe their nonsense anymo'.

Roth is the soul of Van Halen. The soul of Rock N Roll. The baddest mammajamma on de planet God damn it!! The Superfly of ol' school rnb crunchfunk.

bueno bob
03-25-2006, 02:54 AM
I had a drummer years back that used it for his warm up practices...to say he was the best element of the band would be an understatement...if only he had written lyrics as well, I could have just focused on my shit and been happy...

Loons The Great
03-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
I had a drummer years back that used it for his warm up practices...to say he was the best element of the band would be an understatement...if only he had written lyrics as well, I could have just focused on my shit and been happy...

The kind of drummah...that once ya heard him down to the beat...you never feared a NATO air raid again??...like Lightnin' Ray Luzier??

Wuz his name Little Raymond?

DeadOrAlive
04-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Drums sounds like a fuckin' old ass car sputterin'. IT'S BRILLIANT. Good way to open up a song like that