View Full Version : Guns & Butter, well, Mostly Guns

Nickdfresh
02-05-2006, 10:44 AM
2007 Budget Favors Defense
Medicare Takes Biggest Hit in $2.7 Trillion Plan

By Amy Goldstein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, February 5, 2006; A01

President Bush plans to propose a $2.7 trillion budget tomorrow that would shrink most parts of the government unrelated to the nation's security while slowing spending on Medicare by $36 billion during the next five years, according to White House documents.

The spending plan Bush is to recommend to Congress will call for the elimination or reduction of 141 programs -- for a savings of $14.5 billion -- across a broad swath of federal agencies, according to administration and congressional officials who have had access to budget documents in advance. Wide-ranging as they are, those cuts pale in comparison with the White House's attempt to carve money from Medicare -- the first tangible result from a vow the president made in his State of the Union address last week to constrain the massive entitlement programs for the elderly and the poor.

Overall, the budget for the 2007 fiscal year would further reshape the government in the way the administration has been striving to during the past half-decade: building up military capacity and defenses against terrorist threats on U.S. soil, while restraining expenditures on many domestic areas, from education programs to train service.

For the second consecutive year, the White House will ask for an outright reduction in the "discretionary" part of the budget -- the portion that is determined year to year -- apart from the Pentagon and homeland security. According to one congressional source, White House officials plan to emphasize their frugality in discretionary spending, as they propose to cut it more deeply than Congress just did in the budget for the current fiscal year that was approved last week.

Bush foreshadowed his intentions in the State of the Union speech, saying, "Every year of my presidency, we've reduced the growth of nonsecurity discretionary spending. . . . This year, my budget will cut it again."

Spending for the departments of Commerce, Education, Energy and Interior, in particular, will be flat or decreased.

In contrast, the president plans to recommend for the Department of Homeland Security an increase of at least 5 percent from this year's funding of $30.8 billion, not counting emergency spending to recover from last year's hurricanes in the Gulf Coast region, congressional aides said. The White House also has decided to try again to increase passengers' security fees for air travel from $2.50 per flight for nonstop travelers to $5 -- a proposal that Congress swiftly rejected last year.

Similarly, the budget will contain an increase of nearly 5 percent in the Pentagon's funding for next year, defense officials said. The $439.3 billion includes $84.2 billion for weapons systems, an 8 percent increase in weapons spending. The military budget reflects a subtle shift in Pentagon spending priorities from existing weapons toward research and development.

In addition, the White House is continuing a pattern of leaving substantial military expenditures out of the budget; last week, the Pentagon announced it intends to ask Congress for an additional $120 billion -- not contained in the new spending plan -- to help pay for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq this year and next.

In another area of emphasis, Bush will include $5.9 billion in the budget for what he is calling an "American Competitiveness Initiative," unveiled in the State of the Union speech. The bulk of the money, $4.6 billion, would be used to resurrect a research and development tax credit for industry that expired last year. The rest would go for such initiatives as increasing research in physical sciences, and training more teachers in math and science.

As the White House lavishes attention on those aspects of science, the budget at the same time will bring tough new fiscal realities to the National Institutes of Health, where spending overall essentially would be frozen at the current level next year after a 50 percent increase during the last few years. Some parts of the Bethesda-based biomedical research complex actually would lose money, because the administration is placing priority on research into infectious diseases at a time of fear about bioterrorism and a possible bird flu pandemic.

In total, the administration plans to assert that the new budget would keep the government on a path to reduce the federal deficit by half between 2005 and 2009. In part, the spending plan tries to achieve that goal by renewing efforts to persuade Congress to trim or abolish programs that lawmakers have refused to touch in the past. In last year's budget, Bush took aim at 154 such programs worth a total of $15.8 billion in savings; Congress agreed to about $6.5 billion of those cuts.

Yesterday, a spokesman for the Office of Management and Budget would not comment on the 2007 budget before its release by the White House tomorrow morning.

The effort to curb Medicare spending by $36 billion by 2011 -- and by $105 billion a decade from now -- represents a sharp turnabout for the administration. Just last year, Bush said that the health insurance program that covers 41 million elderly and disabled people should be spared any cuts, saying that it would be wrong to change the program at a time when the administration was preparing to implement a new prescription drug benefit, the largest expansion in Medicare's four-decade history. The drug coverage began last month, amid widespread complaints that elderly patients -- especially the poor -- are having difficulty getting medicine.

The budget for the 2007 fiscal year does not touch the drug benefit, nor does it recommend cuts in payments to doctors, who have just won from Congress a one-year reprieve from Medicare rate reductions that were to have taken effect last month.

Instead, about $20 billion of the $36 billion would come from reducing automatic payment increases to hospitals and other institutional providers, such as ambulance services and skilled-nursing facilities, while the rest would be spread among other forms of care. The reductions are in sync with ones that have been recommended recently by a federal Medicare commission that advises Congress.

The spending slowdown Bush envisions is far larger than the $6.4 billion in Medicare reductions over the next five years that Congress approved, after intense political fighting, in the current year's budget.

Congress also agreed to $4.7 billion in cuts for Medicaid, another entitlement program that provides insurance to the poor. Those cuts were less than half what the White House requested last year. Legislative sources said that, this time, Bush will not ask for any significant reductions in Medicaid.

Yesterday, several Democrats and Republicans on and off Capitol Hill predicted that the Medicare changes Bush is seeking would face stiff hurdles in Congress.

One key senator, Budget Committee Chairman Judd Gregg (R-N.H.) has said lately he favors tightening spending on Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, echoing Bush's warnings that costs for the programs will swell dramatically once the baby-boom generation begins to retire in a few years. Still, one GOP aide said, "To think that we are going to get $36 billion out of Medicare in an election year, it's going to be a challenge."

Senate Minority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) immediately denounced the Medicare proposal. "The president's priority is to protect HMO and drug company profits while shifting costs to beneficiaries and providers," Reid said yesterday. "Cutting funding for hospitals and other providers won't solve the health care crisis."

Hospital industry lobbyists, who enjoy strong support on Capitol Hill, also made clear that they were prepared to fight such cuts. Charles N. Kahn III, president of the Federation of American Hospitals, a trade group for for-profit hospitals, said that many hospitals already are losing money on Medicare's reimbursement rates and are facing rising costs, including for better information technology. Bush's proposal, Kahn said, "is the wrong policy at the wrong time."

Staff writers Peter Baker in Waco, Tex., and Spencer S. Hsu and Ann Scott Tyson in Washington contributed to this report.
© 2006 The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/04/AR2006020401179.html) Company

Cathedral
02-05-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't care what he calls himself, George W. Bush is neither a Conservative or a Christian.

Betaseron, a drug used to slow the progression of Multiple Sclerosis costs $1,200.00 per month, per box of 16 injections.
Of that, Insurance paid 80% while Medicare picked up 20%.
Since Medicare has been changed, medicaide is now designated for the disabled only, and those the changes cut Betaseron from it's coverage because Medicaide was to pick it up.....I recieved a nice little letter from Medicaide informing me that they will NOT be picking up Betaseron btu rather another drug called Avonex, and that changes to that medication need to be made.

Here's the problem, Avonex is a bee pollen based medication that will kill anyone who is allergic to bee venom, as my wife absolutely is.
So, this change puts that uncovered 20% in my lap to pay each month.
Her switching is not an option.
Oh, and get this, Avonex is $600 per injection but only requires one injection per week as opposed to one every other day with Betaseron.

And it isn't going to stop there, folks, other cuts will result from this.
So tell me, why is this jerk-off screwing with plans that help people who can do nothing for themselves?

The Seniors who are having trouble getting meds are having this trouble because there are only certain medications that are approved to be covered by Medicare, Betaseron being one of them that is not.

The man pretty much just gave a whole lot of people a death sentence...I can't afford this, and there is no way i can pay for these shots for very long without liquidating every asset we have, and then what?
What do i do next year, or the year after that?

This is crazy, and i just can't take another financial hit, especially not where my wifes care is concerned.

Cathedral
02-05-2006, 06:21 PM
You know what, that son of a bitch should be made to close the borders before he gets another fucking penny to spend on defence.

He doesn't give a rats ass where he gets the funds from as long as he can fund the war machine.

I'm going to have a freakin heart attack before all is said and done.
I can't even see straight or concentrate i'm so pissed off.

bueno bob
02-07-2006, 09:18 AM
This is grate news!

Should I just cut a check for the whole amount myself, or are Nick and I splitting this 50/50?

:rolleyes:

BigBadBrian
02-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I don't care what he calls himself, George W. Bush is neither a Conservative or a Christian.

Betaseron, a drug used to slow the progression of Multiple Sclerosis costs $1,200.00 per month, per box of 16 injections.
Of that, Insurance paid 80% while Medicare picked up 20%.
Since Medicare has been changed, medicaide is now designated for the disabled only, and those the changes cut Betaseron from it's coverage because Medicaide was to pick it up.....I recieved a nice little letter from Medicaide informing me that they will NOT be picking up Betaseron btu rather another drug called Avonex, and that changes to that medication need to be made.

Here's the problem, Avonex is a bee pollen based medication that will kill anyone who is allergic to bee venom, as my wife absolutely is.
So, this change puts that uncovered 20% in my lap to pay each month.
Her switching is not an option.
Oh, and get this, Avonex is $600 per injection but only requires one injection per week as opposed to one every other day with Betaseron.

And it isn't going to stop there, folks, other cuts will result from this.
So tell me, why is this jerk-off screwing with plans that help people who can do nothing for themselves?

The Seniors who are having trouble getting meds are having this trouble because there are only certain medications that are approved to be covered by Medicare, Betaseron being one of them that is not.

The man pretty much just gave a whole lot of people a death sentence...I can't afford this, and there is no way i can pay for these shots for very long without liquidating every asset we have, and then what?
What do i do next year, or the year after that?

This is crazy, and i just can't take another financial hit, especially not where my wifes care is concerned.

Cat, I don't know all the ins and outs of your situation.

The National Health Policy, with the drug policy in particular, is one area the Bush Administration needs to straighten out PRONTO. It's an area that hits close to home with me as well and one I'm very familiar with.

See if this helps http://www.pparx.org

Cathedral
02-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks Brian, but we have too much money in assets and savings to qualify for that, but i certainly tried.

After we've been sqeezed dry and my daughters inheritence has been completely consumed it won't be a problem.
Basically, 10 years of sacrificing and careful financial planning went right out the door with these changes.

And this is just the beginning, more medicare cuts are on the way.

My Mother and her hubby had zero liability for their secondary insurance until these changes were passed. now they'll have to pay $68 per month each out of their retirement on top of the co-pay and anything else medicare doesn't cover.
Neither of them are in very good health, so it may end up being a death sentence for her husband who has a few meds that aren't exactly cheap.

I honestly don't know what Bush and his assholes are thinking, but they're hurting a hell of a lot of people that don't have the means to adapt to these cuts.

The stress alone for the seniors is uncalled for, and i know my mother is stressed when she swallows her pride enough to actually ask me for financial help, and what sucks is i wouldn't be able to provide it if not for the blessing of my new job.
And still, I have my own problems to deal with that i haven't even told her about, and i won't.

This sure doesn't help my anxiety any, lol, but it's all in God's hands.

Nitro Express
02-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Everytime I buy a computer I get more for less money. When I buy perscription drugs or go see a doctor, I get less for way more. The excuse is all the same,"We have to pay for our R&D and our overhead has gone up." My answer is "Fuck You!" I worked for major high tech companies and all of them have substantial R&D costs and their overhead goes up as well. Why can Intel sell us a faster better chip for less money but the pharmacutical companies can't give the world much needed drugs without price gouging us to death?

The healthcare costs have spun out of control due to frivilouse lawsuits and price gouging. Like the border and illegal allien situation, the politicians do nothing.

Nickdfresh
02-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Everytime I buy a computer I get more for less money. When I buy perscription drugs or go see a doctor, I get less for way more. The excuse is all the same,"We have to pay for our R&D and our overhead has gone up." My answer is "Fuck You!" I worked for major high tech companies and all of them have substantial R&D costs and their overhead goes up as well. Why can Intel sell us a faster better chip for less money but the pharmacutical companies can't give the world much needed drugs without price gouging us to death?

The healthcare costs have spun out of control due to frivilouse lawsuits and price gouging. Like the border and illegal allien situation, the politicians do nothing.

Actually, all those commercials for erectile dysfunction & acid reflux drugs are the biggest offenders by far. And we're not even talking about the free perks doctors get from drug reps. (my mother works for one, and it's sickening, even for those that receive all of the free lunches and drug-samples) Advertising ought to be banned...

Cathedral
02-07-2006, 09:51 PM

Bingo, and ya shot the target right through the middle...Nice shooting...

Seshmeister
02-07-2006, 10:17 PM
When I buy perscription drugs or go see a doctor, I get less for way more. The excuse is all the same,"We have to pay for our R&D and our overhead has gone up."

I would call the R&D thing a myth but it's actually more like a lie told by the drugs companies.

Typically they only spend around 15% of their turnover on R&D and over 50% on marketing.

It's costs a hell of a lot of money to get a bunch of doctors to give you a nice study paper and a lot more to get thousands of them to use your drugs.

The whole thing is a massive racket.

Nickdfresh
02-07-2006, 10:31 PM
It is a myth. My mother gets free catered lunches for fuck sake... (Because they want the doctor to suggest their "new" drug to any patient that might conceivably "need" it.)

Nitro Express
02-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Nexium has a bigger advertising budget than Budwiser. Nexium is also expensive but that particular drug formula has been around since the 1960's. We live in a world of acid reflux. Why? People eat too much. Most people with acid reflux would cure it if they cut back on the amounts of food they east and late night binging.

Nexium is highly profitable since the R&D was covered decades ago.

My wife has gotten pregnant everytime she's gone off of birth control. We moved and she started seeing a different gynecologist. On the first visit the Dr. starts to try and get her on fertility drugs. My wife said fertility was no problem but the Doc kept selling. Hmmm, I wonder what his payola was because my wife said he was dead set on writing a perscription. Asshole.

FORD
02-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Why can Intel sell us a faster better chip for less money but the pharmacutical companies can't give the world much needed drugs without price gouging us to death?

A lot of those lawsuits have to with bad drugs that were not properly tested before they were released to the prescription market. And this factor, as well as the price gouging, are due to the fact that the pharamaceutical industry, much like the oil undustry, is tied very closely to the Bush Criminal Empire itself. Nearly every member of Chimpy's original cabinet had ties to the pharmaceutical industry. Donald Rumsfeld, as the CEO of Searle Pharmaceuitcals, signed the patent for aspartame, also known as "Nutra-Sweet". George Bush Sr. was on the board of Eli Lily for decades.

Just as it is with the criminal profits of the oil industry, the drug companies will never be regulated as long as these bastards remain in charge.

FORD
02-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Nexium has a bigger advertising budget than Budwiser. Nexium is also expensive but that particular drug formula has been around since the 1960's. We live in a world of acid reflux. Why? People eat too much. Most people with acid reflux would cure it if they cut back on the amounts of food they east and late night binging.

Nexium is highly profitable since the R&D was covered decades ago.

Nexium is even more profitable since it's the same drug as Zantac. Once Zantac became an over the counter drug, they just reformulated the same ingredient into a "new" pill and cashed in again.

And besides, ALTOIDS work better for acid reflux than any presciption drug, and you can get them for 2 bucks. With no side effects. Well, at least not unpleasant side effects, but that's entirely another subject........

Cathedral
02-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by FORD
A lot of those lawsuits have to with bad drugs that were not properly tested before they were released to the prescription market. And this factor, as well as the price gouging, are due to the fact that the pharamaceutical industry, much like the oil undustry, is tied very closely to the Bush Criminal Empire itself. Nearly every member of Chimpy's original cabinet had ties to the pharmaceutical industry. Donald Rumsfeld, as the CEO of Searle Pharmaceuitcals, signed the patent for aspartame, also known as "Nutra-Sweet". George Bush Sr. was on the board of Eli Lily for decades.

Just as it is with the criminal profits of the oil industry, the drug companies will never be regulated as long as these bastards remain in charge.

They weren't regulated when Clinton was in charge for 8 years, that was just 6 years ago, ya know?

So what is your point again?

(R) or (D) doesn't matter, the corporations own the government as a whole, period.

ODShowtime
02-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I'm going to have a freakin heart attack before all is said and done.
I can't even see straight or concentrate i'm so pissed off.

That's because gw&friends are robbing us blind. Why is all this money being poured into defense spending? Because that's where their friends are.