PDA

View Full Version : Now I know why some people hate The Darkness

Golden AWe
02-07-2006, 12:43 AM
It's all clear to me now!

The same people who have cried about "grunge killing the metal music", even though metal never died, are now jealous because of all the fame and attention The Darkness is getting - they're pissed off because their fav hair metal bands Poison, Winger etc. lost the attention, for having some of the same elements that the hair metal bands tried to use in their "music", failing and sucking arse: the guitar solos, the high vocals, catchy verses, loads of groupie birds, the looks

So now the tables have turned, and the hair metal and their fans here and everywhere look like The Darkness-wannabes!!!

HILL ARIOUS!!!

Let's drink to that, all thou fans of THE MIGHTY DAAARKNESSS!!!

"I really looove whatcha done with your haaair..."

BITEYOASS
02-07-2006, 09:05 AM
BLOODY ROIGHT!!!

bueno bob
02-07-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm not really preferential to them...don't EXACTLY hate them, either...I just can't really think of it as much more than novelty music, personally...of course, the only exposure I've ever had to them is what I've heard on the radio and the videos (which are pretty...well, pretty damn funny), so I could be missing out on a world of stuff...don't know...

m_dixon1984
02-07-2006, 10:28 AM
I kinda dig their rock sound I'm just a little skeptical of the singer. BB's right about the novelty aspect, myself I blame the singer/singing/lyrics (whatever, although he seems like a pretty good guitar player - but I'm no expert).

Still rather listen to them over any rap, punk wannabes, new-age electronica crap, idol winners - I'll watch Clarkson in a video however, pop, boy-band, girl-band, etc, etc (insert current MTV lineup here).

M

Golden AWe
02-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
I'm not really preferential to them...don't EXACTLY hate them, either...I just can't really think of it as much more than novelty music, personally...of course, the only exposure I've ever had to them is what I've heard on the radio and the videos (which are pretty...well, pretty damn funny), so I could be missing out on a world of stuff...don't know...

PM me your e-mail that fits whole songs, I'll e-mail you some more.

So that you can try some more and delete them if you want. There's plenty of classic humor if nothing else.

Mr. Vengeance
02-07-2006, 12:15 PM
I thought the Permission to Land album was okay. I don't hear the Darkness taking over the radio, frankly, so I don't really know what to make of them. They seem to be much more popular in England than over here.

Mr Badguy
02-07-2006, 03:09 PM
I don`t like them but I`m not obsessed by it.

It`s just like rap, pop or anything else I don`t like, I just don`t listen to it.

I gave them a fair listen and didn`t hear anything great about it.

Their first album wasn`t that great and their new album is just really bland rock-by-numbers with that geezers silly voice singing it.

The humour thing isn`t something that appeals to me either, if I want to laugh I watch a comedy show.

I prefer the unintentional funny side of rock music, the Spinal Tap style stuff, I don`t find some guy jumping around in a leotard singing falsetto that funny.

What does annoy me is when people see me with my "old school" long hair and tattoos and assume that I must be a fan and that because they sound like AC/DC lite that I should be right into it.

I don`t want a second generation of hair bands neither do I want a rehash of supposed AC/DC mixed with Queen.

That`s why the metal scene is dead, too many bands either doing the AC/DC thing, the Eurometal thing or the Death Metal thing.

The Darkness is not the future of Metal for me, I would rather hear something a lot more original like The Mars Volta.

Both me and The Darkness will continue to co-exist, but we won`t pay much attention to each other.

Matt White
02-07-2006, 09:46 PM

CLASSIC

jslav06
02-07-2006, 10:09 PM
I appreciate a very modern mainstream band attempting to bring back the flair and guitar solos of classic rock/metal, but Permission to Land was nothing special.

Apollo
02-08-2006, 08:27 AM
I think the Darkness is unfairly considered a joke band.

Ok the singer sounds a bit different than most (although there were several high pitched screamers about in the 80s) and the videos are playful.

But all in all they are writing some pretty tight music.

Roy Munson
02-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Golden AWe

The same people who have cried about "grunge killing the metal music", even though metal never died, are now jealous because of all the fame and attention The Darkness is getting - they're pissed off because their fav hair metal bands Poison, Winger etc. lost the attention, for having some of the same elements that the hair metal bands tried to use in their "music", failing and sucking arse: the guitar solos, the high vocals, catchy verses, loads of groupie birds, the looks

So now the tables have turned, and the hair metal and their fans here and everywhere look like The Darkness-wannabes!!!

HILL ARIOUS!!!

Post of the CENTURY.

I'm not really into the Darkness that much but I do like them. I just think you are right on with your assessment.

I'm sending you a blue ribbon.

Casemeister
02-08-2006, 10:52 AM
I haven't heard that much of their music, but from what I've heard, the way Justin sings in falsetto is just annoying. Metal's high vocals sound best in chest -- NOT in falsetto. When I first heard him, I thought he sounded pathetic. Really. I can understand using falsetto at the right time; that right time is usually when a soft, falsetto sound would sound better than a strong chest voice. Regularly using falsetto because you simply can't hit notes that would sound BETTER in chest is just lame, IMO.

Good on them for playing '70s and '80s style rock, I guess, but they are a parody of that type of music. Unless it's in a Spinal Tap kind of way, that's not very cool. A British friend of mine said they were just a standard pub band until they thought they could make a few bucks doing what they're now doing. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what he said.

Shaun Ponsonby
02-08-2006, 12:17 PM
I love The Darkness-great live band too. The new album is better than I thought it would be, its obvious they didn't rush it out to cash in. Favourite track-English Country Garden

"It was a cigarette break, an' I was despearte
I saw her pushing that wheelbarrow
She said 'Have you got a match?'
I said 'Yes, my cock and Farmer Giles' prizewinning marrow'"

Great stuff!!

m_dixon1984
02-08-2006, 12:41 PM
I give these guys the same respect I gave Andrew W.K. (very little) Amusing and entertaining in small doses but there just isn't enough there for longterm interest. Oh, and haven't they both been touted as being the saviour's of Rock N' Roll?? Fat chance, I say.
M

Terry
02-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Don't hate 'em, don't really like 'em much, either.

They haven't really broken at all in the States, agreed. Doubt they will, either. Had that one song that got a modest amount of airplay, and that's it. The people that I've talked to about them think it's like Spinal Tap or something.

doctor roth
02-12-2006, 09:06 PM
I LOVE THE DARKNESS !!!!!!!
Great songs and a GIANT EGO (in a tounge in cheek way)!!!! God bless em !!

Nitro Express
02-13-2006, 02:42 AM
The Darkness to me is a bad immitation of a late 70's rock band. I mean those guys are like Spinal Tap or something. A parody. The singer sounds like Tiny Tim having his balls tickled. I couldn't believe they were a real band.

Shaun Ponsonby
02-13-2006, 01:33 PM
If that was the case, why would they bother spending months and months and years and years in tough rock clubs?

Exactly.

Mr Grimsdale
02-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
The singer sounds like Tiny Tim having his balls tickled.

Anybody else here familiar with the sound Tiny Tim makes when he's having his balls tickled?

I'm waiting...

Er...

Guess that makes just the one.

Mr Badguy
02-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
If that was the case, why would they bother spending months and months and years and years in tough rock clubs?

Exactly.

That`s not enough to guarantee respect.

Some bands spend their whole career playing tough rock clubs with very little respect or success.

Sometimes I think that rock fans who are into The Darkness are more uptight about them than the ones that don`t.

It`s as if they themselves are unsure whether they should and need to start threads like this to reassure themselves.

For me it`s all about the music, forget the image and the humour.

I just don`t think they`re anything special.

If they`re so "classic 70`s rock" then do any of their albums stand up to "Van Halen", "Highway to Hell" or any of the usual named classic albums?

Hell no.

Is Justin Hawkins the natural successor to Bon Scott, Freddie Mercury and David Lee Roth?

Don`t make me laugh.

Mr Badguy
02-13-2006, 03:51 PM

Exactly.

You surprise me the most, Shaun.

For a guy that can`t wait to put the boot into Kiss at every opportunity, you have a big hard on for The Darkness, who are probably more guilty of the kind of "stunts" that you hate Kiss for.

Mr Grimsdale
02-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
the kind of "stunts" that you hate Kiss for.

rhyming slang?

doctor roth
02-14-2006, 12:06 AM
If you listen to the song 'growing on me' and keep in mind its written about STD's it all makes sence

Nitro Express
02-14-2006, 03:11 AM
Hey, if the dudes payed their dues and can sell CD's and tickets, all the power to them but when I first heard them or saw a video of theirs, I rang the Gong fast. They would be starving if I was the target audience.

Vinnie Velvet
02-14-2006, 11:49 AM

Some bands spend their whole career playing tough rock clubs with very little respect or success.

Sometimes I think that rock fans who are into The Darkness are more uptight about them than the ones that don`t.

It`s as if they themselves are unsure whether they should and need to start threads like this to reassure themselves.

For me it`s all about the music, forget the image and the humour.

I just don`t think they`re anything special.

If they`re so "classic 70`s rock" then do any of their albums stand up to "Van Halen", "Highway to Hell" or any of the usual named classic albums?

Hell no.

Is Justin Hawkins the natural successor to Bon Scott, Freddie Mercury and David Lee Roth?

Don`t make me laugh.

Can't argue with ya there.

Shaun Ponsonby
02-14-2006, 11:56 AM

Indeed, the guy in my sig is "guilty" of just that.

My point was to Nitro Express calling them a joke band and a Spinal Tap for the new millenium, and the fact that they've spent years in rock clubs, lets face it, struggling, then that point doesn't make sense.

Shaun Ponsonby
02-14-2006, 11:58 AM
You surprise me the most, Shaun.

For a guy that can`t wait to put the boot into Kiss at every opportunity, you have a big hard on for The Darkness, who are probably more guilty of the kind of "stunts" that you hate Kiss for.

I just don't like Kiss.

I don't like Kiss, you don't like The Darkness. Lets just agree to disagree on both matters.

Mr Badguy
02-14-2006, 02:36 PM
I just don't like Kiss.

I don't like Kiss, you don't like The Darkness. Lets just agree to disagree on both matters.

The point I`m making is that you hate Kiss because "it`s all about the image before the music", publicity stunts, hype etc., all of which The Darkness are equally, if not more so, guilty of.

Vinnie Velvet
02-15-2006, 12:04 PM
The point I`m making is that you hate Kiss because "it`s all about the image before the music", publicity stunts, hype etc., all of which The Darkness are equally, if not more so, guilty of.

But KISS had better songs (as far as the 70s are concerned -- also 1982 and 1992, specifically).

:)

Mr Badguy
02-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
But KISS had better songs (as far as the 70s are concerned -- also 1982 and 1992, specifically).

That is the truest thing anyone has ever said.

Goddammit!

:wow2:

Shaun Ponsonby
02-16-2006, 06:58 AM

Let me tell you something about myself...

When I don't like somebody, I pick at everything I possibly can to put them down, whether its something I like about another band or not. Its just my hypocritical ways.

Anyways, I never sais I hated Kiss, just that I don't particulary like them-they have done a handful of good songs.

Vinnie Velvet
02-16-2006, 12:41 PM
MORE than a handful:

Strutter
Deuce
Cold Gin
Firehouse
100,000 Years
Black Diamond
Hotter than Hell
Parasite
Let Me Go Rock n Roll
Goin Blind
Strange Ways
Ladies in Waiting
Room Service
Getaway
Rock Bottom
C'mon and Love Me
She
Love Her All I Can
Detroit Rock City
God of Thunder
Sweet Pain
Flaming Youth
Do you Love Me
I Want You
Calling Dr. Love
Ladies Room
Love Em and Leave Em
Makin' Love
Hard Luck Woman
I Stole Your Love
Love Gun
Got Love for Sale
Christine Sixteen
Shock Me
Plaster Caster
Rip it Out
Speedin Back to My Baby
Ozone
Snowblind
I'm in Need of Love
Fractured Mirror
Charisma
Hard Times
Sure Know Something
2000 Man
Dirty Livin'
Shandi
Talk to Me
She's So European
You're All That I Want
Dark Light
Only You
The Oath
I
Creatures of the Night
Saint and Sinner
I Still Love You
War Machine
Young and Wasted
Unholy
Take it Off
Spit
Into the Void
Journey of 1,000 Years

Mr Badguy
02-17-2006, 07:24 AM
MORE than a handful:

Strutter
Deuce
Cold Gin
Firehouse
100,000 Years
Black Diamond
Hotter than Hell
Parasite
Let Me Go Rock n Roll
Goin Blind
Strange Ways
Ladies in Waiting
Room Service
Getaway
Rock Bottom
C'mon and Love Me
She
Love Her All I Can
Detroit Rock City
God of Thunder
Sweet Pain
Flaming Youth
Do you Love Me
I Want You
Calling Dr. Love
Ladies Room
Love Em and Leave Em
Makin' Love
Hard Luck Woman
I Stole Your Love
Love Gun
Got Love for Sale
Christine Sixteen
Shock Me
Plaster Caster
Rip it Out
Speedin Back to My Baby
Ozone
Snowblind
I'm in Need of Love
Fractured Mirror
Charisma
Hard Times
Sure Know Something
2000 Man
Dirty Livin'
Shandi
Talk to Me
She's So European
You're All That I Want
Dark Light
Only You
The Oath
I
Creatures of the Night
Saint and Sinner
I Still Love You
War Machine
Young and Wasted
Unholy
Take it Off
Spit
Into the Void
Journey of 1,000 Years

Don`t forget Peter Criss`s 1978 solo masterpiece.

THAT`S the kind of sugar Papa likes!

Vinnie Velvet
02-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Don`t forget Peter Criss`s 1978 solo masterpiece.

THAT`S the kind of sugar Papa likes!

Don Corleone
02-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe

HILL ARIOUS!!!

Well said.

Vinnie Velvet
02-17-2006, 04:51 PM
I've yet to hear or see the so-called "attention" the Darkness is getting.

There was some for the first album.

Now, I think they've just solidified their SUCK status further with their second CD.

doctor roth
02-20-2006, 10:20 PM
I just don't like Kiss.

Me either, NEVER dug em.
Any band where the BASS PLAYER is the main attraction cant be that good

doctor roth
02-20-2006, 11:22 PM
To clarify there are ofcouse exeptions such as stu ham, billy sheehan and primus, but you get the idea

Shaun Ponsonby
02-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by doctor roth
Me either, NEVER dug em.

*COUGH*MOTORHEAD*COUGH*

Shaun Ponsonby
02-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Actually, I saw The Darkness on Saturday. They were pompus, they were over the top, they were flash...they were fantastic.

A great, solid performance...

Knockers (Justin appears on large pair of breasts and flies around arena on them)
One Way Ticket
Is It Just Me?
Growng On Me
Dinner Lady Arms
Givin Up
Black Shuck
Love On The Rocks (Justin played "Back In Black" during solo, getting a huge cheer)
Love Is Only A Feeling
Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time
Blindman
Hazel Eyes
Get Your Hands Off My Woman
Friday Night
Girlfriend (Justin played "Jump" during the intro, to a huge cheer)
I Believe In A Thing Called Love
----------------------
English Country Garden (Using a large organ at the back of stage)
Bald (Featuring Justin flying around the arena, not on breasts)

singerman
02-21-2006, 06:42 PM
i saw the darkness the other week and didnt think they were that great....changing ALL guitars after every song!?...the gaps between songs just killed the atmosphere,i was really looking forward to the gig but if you stripped away the pyros and the 'breasts' they just came across as pretty amatuer....it really suprised me...justins guitar playing was really rough, hitting bum notes all over the place

Shaun Ponsonby
02-22-2006, 07:08 AM
It wasn't the way when I saw them. Maybe you caught them on a bad night (it happens).

DrMaddVibe
02-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by doctor roth
Me either, NEVER dug em.

COUGH**--RUSH--**COUGH!!!

COUGH**--The Police--**COUGH!!!

Vinnie Velvet
02-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe

COUGH**--The Beatles--**COUGH!!

singerman
02-22-2006, 03:44 PM
It wasn't the way when I saw them. Maybe you caught them on a bad night (it happens).

oh yeah i know bands can have off nights cos my band does!!....but to keep changing guitars after every song is just ridiculous....having roadies on the stage for that amount of time just amazed me,however on a positive note the sound was the best ive ever heard,just perfect

Shaun Ponsonby
02-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Oh, they were just being flash showing how many guitars they have, and why not? (Also Justin doesn't play on every song so roadies have to take his away on songs he doesn't play on etc, they also had to bring on that keyboard a few times)

DaLeeRo
02-23-2006, 03:51 PM
I like The Darkness.... they got a couple of good song, like "One Way Tickey", "I Believe In A Thing Called Love", "Dinner Lady Arms".

Little Texan
02-25-2006, 03:10 AM
Their sound is ok, but the singer's voice is annoying as hell...like nails on a chalkboard. As others have stated in this thread, I think of them as a joke band...I've never taken them seriously. They're like a bad parody of an 80's hair band.

Shaun Ponsonby
02-25-2006, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe

COUGH**--The Beatles--**COUGH!!

*COUGH*MOTORHEAD*COUGH*

We should get something for these coughs

Mr Badguy
02-25-2006, 04:15 PM