View Full Version : McCain bashes Obama

DR CHIP
02-07-2006, 08:26 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/07/mccain.obama/index.html

BigBadBrian
02-07-2006, 09:37 AM
McCain launches harsh broadside at Obama
Accuses freshman senator of 'disingenuousness'

Tuesday, February 7, 2006; Posted: 1:57 a.m. EST (06:57 GMT)

McCain characterized Obama's "previous assurances" as "typical rhetorical gloss."

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. John McCain unleashed an unusually biting and blunt broadside Monday against one of his Democratic colleagues, Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, accusing the freshman senator of backtracking on a previous commitment to help develop a bipartisan proposal for lobbying and ethics reform.

"I'm embarrassed to admit that after all these years in politics, I failed to interpret your previous assurances as typical rhetorical gloss routinely used in politics to make self-interested partisan posturing appear more noble," the Arizona Republican said in a letter to Obama.

"Please be assured I won't make the same mistake again."

McCain also told Obama that "I understand how important the opportunity to lead your party's efforts to exploit this issue must seem to a freshman senator, and I hold no hard feelings over your earlier disingenuousness."

"I have been around long enough to appreciate that in politics, the public interest isn't always a priority for every one of us," McCain wrote. "Good luck to you, senator."

In response, Obama sent a letter back to McCain, saying he was "puzzled" by McCain's reaction and insisting he still supported a bipartisan approach to ethics reform.

"The fact that you have now questioned my sincerity and my desire to put aside politics for the public interest is regrettable but does not in any way diminish my deep respect for you, nor my willingness to find a bipartisan solution to this problem," Obama wrote.

What set McCain off was a letter Obama sent him late last week, after he and several other Democrats attended a meeting hosted by McCain to discuss a bipartisan approach to lobbying and ethics reform.

In that letter, Obama expressed support for a reform bill being pushed by Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, rather than McCain's proposal for a bipartisan task force to look at legislation.

"I know you have expressed an interest in creating a task force to further study and discuss these matters, but I and others in the Democratic caucus believe the more effective and timely course is to allow the committees of jurisdiction (in the Senate) to roll up their sleeves and get to work on writing ethics and lobbying reform legislation that a majority of the Senate can support," Obama wrote.

In the letter he sent Monday, McCain accused the Democratic leadership of wanting "to use the issue to gain a political advantage in the 2006 elections." And he denied that his task force was designed to short-circuit the Senate committee process.

"The timely findings of a bipartisan working group could be very helpful to the committee in formulating legislation," McCain said. "I have consistently maintained that any lobbying reform proposal be bipartisan."

"As I explained in a recent letter to Senator Reid, and have publicly said many times, the American people do not see this as just a Republican problem or just a Democratic problem."

But in his rebuttal, Obama said he made it clear during last week's meeting that the Democratic caucus would insist that any reform plan go through the normal committee process -- and that he believes Reid's bill "should be the basis for a bipartisan solution."

Hardrock69
02-07-2006, 11:00 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzz............

FORD
02-07-2006, 11:16 AM
McCain doesn't have a leg to stand on after all the Chimp ass kissing he's done the last 5 years.

Warham
02-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Libs don't know who to pull for in this fight. McCain is the media poster boy for Republicans and Obama is an up and coming loser in a national election.

It's a tough one to pick.

BigBadBrian
02-07-2006, 03:55 PM
[Senator Edward] Kennedy also mangled the name of the Democrats' new star, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, calling him "Osama bin … Osama … Obama."

:D :D :D

link (http://www.regrettheerror.com/2005/02/the_obama_error.html)

Warham
02-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Did you ever hear Limbaugh's parody of Kennedy's Obama gaff? It's Kennedy singing about Obama bin Laden against a musical backdrop of La Bamba. lol