PDA

View Full Version : Tocchet in deep shit, gambling ring busted

Mr. Vengeance
02-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Not that this is the worst thing on earth, but interesting. Gambling chicks are hot. She was smoking in Flamingo Kid!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060207/ap_on_sp_ho_ne/hkn_tocchet_gambling_bust

Va Beach VH Fan
02-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Edited the title bro, hope you don't mind....

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=local&id=3883497

That link also involves Mark Recchi as being mentioned as well as one of those who may have been participated....

There are also links stating that there is also AN NHL TEAM OWNER being involved...

Uh oh...

That could mean either Gretz, obviously Janet's husband, or Mario, Recchi's very good friend....

What a black eye for the NHL when they didn't need it....

Nickdfresh
02-07-2006, 09:35 PM
I just heard about this on the radio. This is going to be big unfortunately...

Romeo Delight
02-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Yes, the tabloid media loves this shit.

Fortunately, there is no smoking gun in the form of a video played at 1/10th the speed to dramatize it.

Who knows, maybe they'll play some choice audio clips. Nick, make sure they are preserved in lossless.;)

diamondsgirl
02-07-2006, 10:53 PM
I heard that she was the HFT teacher.

True or False?

diamondsgirl
02-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
I heard that she was the HFT teacher.

True or False?

Romeo Delight
02-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Very true!

redblkwht
02-08-2006, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl

I think not, they interviewed the chic from the video
a few years back on i think
VHND in 2000..

as for the story, c'mon shes not
doing waynes bets? who they
crapping?? thats bull, thier
covering up for him IMO-

Va Beach VH Fan
02-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Also hearing that Roenick and Travis Green being involved....

Romeo Delight
02-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Roenick...what a shocker!

Still BS. Gambling is illegal unless the government gets its take?

I love how it's called "Operation Slapshot"

From the info I have, investigation involved those unrelated to hockey initially.

So what, it was renamed for maximum publicity to authorities involved for their future book tours and appearances on the tabloid circuit?

Still stupid for these guys to taint sport, even though by all accounts betting on hockey definitely hasn't occured. let the circus begin

Va Beach VH Fan
02-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Recchi on FSN 'Burgh denies knowing anything about it, or anything about Tocchet's gambling....

redblkwht
02-09-2006, 02:09 AM
I still think wayne will be tossed into the fire..ala pete rose
i smell the worst part coming ahead. NHL is gonna get shafted worse from the
strike to this,
this may be the knockout..

Romeo Delight
02-09-2006, 02:54 AM
Wayne will not be implicated, he has not bet, I guarantee you.

Vinnie Velvet
02-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
Wayne will not be implicated, he has not bet, I guarantee you.

No, not Wayne.

But Janet, I think so.

Here is a Californian gal, married a famous Canadian hockey star and pretty much became a stay-at-home mom and wife (I mean, being loaded with millions, she doesn't have to work).

She must've gotten bored and decided to get involved in some gambling along with some other hockey people.

Who knows.

Gretz says that she will be speaking to this very soon.

redblkwht
02-09-2006, 10:45 AM
yet the plot thikens today..

courtesy espn
--------------------------------

Phoenix Coyotes coach Wayne Gretzky knew about a gambling ring involving his wife and assistant coach Rick Tocchet, law enforcement sources who cited state wiretaps told the Newark Star-Ledger.

The Star-Ledger reported in Thursday's editions that there is no evidence that Gretzky placed bets, but investigators are looking into whether his wife, Janet Jones, placed them for him.

Gretzky has said that he had no knowledge of the gambling ring.

"The reality is, I'm not involved, I wasn't involved and I'm not going to be involved," Gretzky said Tuesday. "Am I concerned for both of them? Sure, there's concern from me. I'm more worried about them than me."

Law enforcement officials told the New Jersey newspaper that Jones bet $500,000 in recent weeks, including $75,000 in Super Bowl wagers.

Tocchet, Gretzky's friend and assistant with the Coyotes, was granted an indefinite leave of absence Wednesday night by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, a day after New Jersey police accused him of financing a nationwide gambling operation that took bets from about a half-dozen current players, among other bettors.

Tocchet is expected to be arraigned in the next two weeks, and Gretzky could be subpoenaed to testify before a New Jersey grand jury, the Star-Ledger reported.

Vinnie Velvet
02-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by redblkwht
yet the plot thikens today..

courtesy espn
--------------------------------

Phoenix Coyotes coach Wayne Gretzky knew about a gambling ring involving his wife and assistant coach Rick Tocchet, law enforcement sources who cited state wiretaps told the Newark Star-Ledger.

The Star-Ledger reported in Thursday's editions that there is no evidence that Gretzky placed bets, but investigators are looking into whether his wife, Janet Jones, placed them for him.

Gretzky has said that he had no knowledge of the gambling ring.

"The reality is, I'm not involved, I wasn't involved and I'm not going to be involved," Gretzky said Tuesday. "Am I concerned for both of them? Sure, there's concern from me. I'm more worried about them than me."

Law enforcement officials told the New Jersey newspaper that Jones bet $500,000 in recent weeks, including $75,000 in Super Bowl wagers.

Tocchet, Gretzky's friend and assistant with the Coyotes, was granted an indefinite leave of absence Wednesday night by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, a day after New Jersey police accused him of financing a nationwide gambling operation that took bets from about a half-dozen current players, among other bettors.

Tocchet is expected to be arraigned in the next two weeks, and Gretzky could be subpoenaed to testify before a New Jersey grand jury, the Star-Ledger reported.

Whoa.

The thing I can't understand that with all the money Janet and Wayne have, why get involved in gambling??

I still think Wayne is innocent but Janet is definitely involved.

Romeo Delight
02-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I love these"anonymous law enforcement officials" or whatever.

So Wayne talked to Tocchet when Tocchet knew shit was going down.

For all we know, Tocchet is innocent and he was telling Wayne that bad shit was coming.

A joke

Parasites everywhere, looking for their 5 minutes.

Nickdfresh
02-09-2006, 10:51 PM
TOCCHET is not so innocent, he's reportedly involved with mob figures in New Jersey...

Romeo Delight
02-10-2006, 12:24 AM
I think, Tocchet's lawyers will say that he had a relationship with the cop at the Holiday Inn, nothing more.

This would be a sweet victory if they can carry this through.

Cops breaking big case, only to have their guy as the biggest fish

Romeo Delight
02-10-2006, 12:27 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2325295

That's right fuck off:

Updated: Feb. 9, 2006, 11:55 PM ET
Gretzky, wife address gambling ring allegationsESPN.com news services

Wayne Gretzky and his wife addressed allegations about their involvement with a nationwide gambling ring Thursday.

"I've done nothing wrong, nothing that has to do with anything along the lines of betting ... that just has never happened," Gretzky said after the Coyotes' 5-1 loss to the Stars on Thursday. "... I'll say it one more time: I didn't bet, didn't happen, not going to happen, hasn't happened, not something I've done.

"In saying all that, I appreciate everyone's support ... I have great friends who have said a lot of nice things. I felt like I've defended myself over something that unequivocally never happened. These three days have been horrible and I'm too tired mentally and physically to talk anymore about it. There's nothing for me to talk about," he said.

He confirmed that he has no plans to resign as executive director of Hockey Canada and will travel to Torino on Sunday for the Olympics.

The Newark Star-Ledger reported in Thursday's editions that there is no evidence that Gretzky placed bets, but investigators are looking into whether his wife, Janet Jones Gretzky, placed them for him.

"At no time did I ever place a wager on my husband's behalf," Jones Gretzky said in a statement Thursday. "Other than the occasional horse race, my husband does not bet on any sports."

{Gretzky can be heard on wiretaps made within the past month discussing with Tocchet how his wife could avoid being implicated, a source told The Associated Press, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing.} BULLSHIT PARAGRAPH...just not true

fryingdutchman
02-10-2006, 04:43 AM
The dragnet continues to widen....

Looks like The Great One has some shit to answer for.

Bummer.

BITEYOASS
02-10-2006, 01:06 PM
I'll wait and see what Don Cherry has to say about this situation before I jump to conclusions! :D

Vinnie Velvet
02-10-2006, 02:15 PM
HA!

Janet has a new name now.

When Gretz was traded to the Kings by the Oilers in 1988, Canadians said it was all Janet's fault and started calling her "Jezebel and Yoko Ono".

Now, she has a new name: Janet BETzky.

LOL.

Romeo Delight
02-10-2006, 03:03 PM
"Gretzky can be heard on wiretaps made within the past month discussing with Tocchet how his wife could avoid being implicated, a source told The Associated Press, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing"

Oh, you mean in the last few days when Tocchet knew he was going to be charged?

So what?!!!

What kind of a man wouldn't ask about his wife. Gretzky has nothing to hide.

The order for wiretaps aren't more than a week old for Tocchet, so Gretzky didn't know anything other than Tocchet was betting with the Cop.

When this all comes out, Tocchet will only be guilty of minor charge, and cop will take the hit. Operation Slapshot!!!!

That's so sexy....did you see the graphs and display material in the press conference. Another reason people in law enforcement shouldn't be elected.

BITEYOASS
02-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Moving to the LA Kings, WTF was he thinking?!?! Should have joined the Toronto Maple Leafs and married the bar brawling Miss Newfoundland 10 years ago!

Va Beach VH Fan
02-10-2006, 05:06 PM
It 'tis interesting seeing how the Canucks are protecting their golden boy....

Romeo Delight
02-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
It 'tis interesting seeing how the Canucks are protecting their golden boy....

It's not that so much...we just know he never bet...we just know.

I know and will bet anyone right now, that nothing will come of this for Wayne.

No way he bet, not a chance.

"Sources" Ha. Tabloid journalism, nothing more. Stupid cops are just going to hang their own.

Attorney general must be up for election in New Jersey

Va Beach VH Fan
02-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Yeah, but you have to admit, the Canadian press was sure treating this with kid gloves....

They're starting to lighten up themselves though....

POJO_Risin
02-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Who fucking cares...

I'm a Gretzky fan...

but could care a less if he was involved or not...

rumor has it that a player or former player aside from Roenick is involved...and that it's a HUGE name...bigger than Roenick...

the guy said it was a name that would rock the hockey world...

two guys immediately popped into my head...

Lemieux or Jagr...

if it's Lemieux...and Lemieux and Gretzky are both implicated in this...

Perhaps the 2 biggest names in NHL history...

wow...

Romeo Delight
02-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah, but you have to admit, the Canadian press was sure treating this with kid gloves....

They're starting to lighten up themselves though....

I dunno, talk radio here in Vancouver is pretty volatile and they weren't all giving Gretz the benefit of the doubt.

How can you critisize a guy who has done nothing but good in his career and no wrongdoing of any kind was committed in this case.

Rest assured they will find nothing.

Why would you want to be one of the tabloid journalists and ruin your own reputation?

Maybe our journalists are less sensationalist?

Romeo Delight
02-11-2006, 11:51 PM
How is it I am smarter than an entire continent of media?

I fucking told you...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=154510&hubname=

As Wayne Gretzky was putting the Phoenix Coyotes through a 40 minute session on Saturday, TSN was informed by a source close to the Coyotes organization that last Monday afternoon Gretzky was contacted by New Jersey Police and informed about the charges against Rick Tocchet and the fact that his wife Janet would be questioned as part of the investigation.

Shortly after that, Gretzky was said to have phoned Tochett to find out what was going on and according to the source that was the conversation between Tocchet and Gretzky that was recorded on Police wiretap. This contradicts earlier reports that suggested Gretzky may have had prior knowledge of the alleged gambling ring.

{Just like I said}

Following Saturday's practice, Gretzky reiterated his stance.

''Well, um, obviously it has been a difficult few days but as I said the other night I talked about it, it's a dead issue now. I remain supportive for my friend and obviously my wife. In saying that I'm just going to get ready for the game tomorrow night and get ready to go over and win a gold medal Sunday night. Other than that, as I said the other night, I have no involvement. I'm not in it and it's unfortunate that it had to transpire. I appreciate everyone's help and kindness and life goes forward.''

While the Canadian Olympic Association says Gretzky won't be a distraction for Team Canada at the Olympics, International Ice Hockey Federation President Rene Fasel says he hopes 'The Great One' will address the media in Torino and answer questions on the alleged gambling ring.

Angel
02-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
Maybe our journalists are less sensationalist?

Understatement of the fucking century! ;)

Romeo Delight
02-17-2006, 11:32 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=155014&hubname=nhl

According to Rick Tocchet's lawyer, New Jersey law enforcement agencies could face criminal charges for the way he believes they've handled aspects of this case.

"They have, in violation of criminal statues, leaked what they say are wire tapped conversations, some of which involve Mr. Gretzky," said Kevin Marino, who is representing Tocchet in the case.

"Oh, I would be absolutely shocked if there were not lawsuits brought as a result of the manner in which the investigation has been handled and the manner in which it has been misrepresented."

When contacted by TSN, the New Jersey Division of Criminal Justice confirmed this type of leak can lead to criminal charges. A police spokesman said the New Jersey law enforcement agency is taking the wire tap leak seriously and is conducting an internal investigation into the matter.

"In New Jersey, there are not only statutes making it a crime for law enforcement to leak wire tapped information, but there is also a statute that entitles a person who is damaged by such leaks to recover punitive damages," said Marino.

Related Info
Leak Investigated
Marino said leaking news of the recorded conversation can lead to the wire tap evidence being suppressed and potentially damaging the prosecution's case. New Jersey prosecutors would not comment on the matter.

Marino believes the leaks were no accident.

"It's obviously an attempt by law enforcement authorities in New Jersey to deflect attention from their own problem, an internal problem at the state police involving a police official, and try to turn it into a hockey scandal," Marino said.

[ exactly what I said!]

"What the allegation here is that, when you strip it all away, is that hockey players are supposed to have bet on football games. That's not the 1919 Black Sox scandal, that's not the Boston College point shaving scandal, it's not a sports scandal at all. It's a real bait and switch, if you want to put a fine point on it."

Va Beach VH Fan
02-18-2006, 11:26 AM
OK, let me say this as delicately as possible....

I have a very hard time believing that Gretsky did not have at least "some" knowledge of Tocchet's involvement, nor his wife's involvement for that matter, in this operation....

Now, I do NOT think he was involved at all, in reference to any betting, or any opinions for any bets....

I DO however believe that his wife's involvement is where the naivety is really apparent...

How would she know that Tocchet had this type of gambling operation going to lay the bets ??

Osmosis ??

Google search ??

So are we to believe that she found out ON HER OWN that Tocchet has this ring set up, and that she made all of these bets ON HER OWN, and that Wayne previously knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about neither these bets nor Tocchet's ring ??

Wayne shouldn't be prosecuted, I agree with that, there are bigger fish to fry....

But I for one am not going to be so naive to believe that he didn't know anything about this....

Romeo Delight
02-18-2006, 11:35 AM
I honestly don't think that Wayne knew that Tocchet was involved in anything illegal.

Wayne has basically put it upon himself to make hockey work in the US, and has made sacrifices to do this.

One of these sacrifices is to keep the Phoneix organization intact.

I imagine he has seen little of his wife since taking over full-time coaching duties for the team, going on the road, etc, as well as his duties as Team Canada President.

The only improper activity in relation to Gretzky is on the part of the New Jersey law enforcement people. who should be sued and would likely lose in such a case. Wayne won't bother.

Wayne shouldn't be prosecuted???? Uhhhhh, yeah! For what??

There was never a question he was guilty of anything illegal. immoral, or otherwise. Dude probably hasn't even had late fees at Blockbuster in his life. Motherfucker..."Wayne has bet large sums in Vegas"
OOOOOOhhhhh! The horror!

Operation slapshot! More like Operation oh shit we have a dirty cop, better blame hockey

Va Beach VH Fan
02-18-2006, 11:46 AM
That's all fine, and the leaks in the case suck, agreed, but completely step around the questions I was raising...

How did Janet know about the gambling ring ??

If what you're saying is accurate, then you're stipulation is that there was ONLY a liaison between Janet and Tocchet in order for her to begin laying down bets in Tocchet's gambling ring....

And that's where I disagree, in my opinion that's where Wayne HAD to have some knowledge of the ring....

Romeo Delight
02-18-2006, 11:46 AM
How would she know that Tocchet had this type of gambling operation going to lay the bets ??

Osmosis ??

Google search ??

So are we to believe that she found out ON HER OWN that Tocchet has this ring set up, and that she made all of these bets ON HER OWN, and that Wayne previously knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about neither these bets nor Tocchet's ring ??

Why are you assuming that if someone lays down a few bets on your behalf (in Vegas) that they know there is a ring?

The Coyotes GM was exonerated immediately because he was probably led to believe that it was just that.

Haven't you ever gave someone going to Vegas a hundred to bet on something?

Quite the leap to say everyone knew about a ring, LMFAO.

Janet is allowed out of the house and is also probably allowed to talk to other adults.

So now we are prosecuting people for working with those who decide to pursue illegal activities?

BTW, that office pool you participated in last week..did you inform the IRS of your winnings?

Can you say tax evasion? I say where there's smoke there's fire.

Va...money launderer and rackateer!

Va Beach VH Fan
02-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Hold on, where is Vegas, or any other "legal gambling" in this equation ??

I admit, I'm not watching this situation nearly as closely as you guys, so maybe I'm missing something, in which case, I could be wrong...

All I'm saying is this...

That Janet laid half a million dollars in bets through Tocchet in an illegal gambling ring...

And Wayne had at least "some" knowledge about it...

That's my point of contention, in my opinion Wayne is not as squeaky clean as he is being portrayed to be...

No more, no less....

Romeo Delight
02-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Hold on, where is Vegas, or any other "legal gambling" in this equation ??

I admit, I'm not watching this situation nearly as closely as you guys,

Coyotes GM was betting with Tocchet, but was immediately exonerated of any wrongdoing.

This is because people do lay bets for others in legal jurisdictions.

For all we know, Tocchet is innocent and the cop is the only one who was involved in a "ring"

It does look like Toccet may be involved, but don't be surprised when he gets a small sentence out of this.

Maybe Tocchet thought these bets were made legally? Sexy names like gambling ring and mob ties are too hard to resist, I guess.

What better villian than hockey...a sport that allows fighting and has so many foreigners playing in the league.

Dirty cop is closest we have here to organized crime...Tochett is but a very small player who may have been duped.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-18-2006, 03:01 PM
You know I'm not bashing hockey, and sure, it would be great if Tocchet and everyone else is exonerated....

But at the same time, I also keep an open mind for the possibilities, in the positive and the negative for all of the parties involved....

Romeo Delight
05-25-2006, 11:35 PM
So the latest news out of this case is just as I called it earlier, if not worse for the New Jersey police and attorney general of New Jersey.

As it turns out, Janet and Tocchet will certainly sue and win as the authorities exercised complete ignorance of the state's own laws regarding wiretaps.

It seems the New Jersey police wanted the publicity and were about to lose jurisdiction in the case, SO they thought it would be a good idea to disregard A NEW JERSEY STATUTE PROHIBITING THE RELEASE OF WIRETAP INFORMATION BEFORE TRIAL!!!:p

I'm not talking about the leaked information here, which can also be proven to be provided by the New Jersey police but the actual press conference itself contravenes the state;s statutes!

Fucking hilarious!

The attorney general obviously signed off on this and had to have known this could be coming.

Tocchet especially will win regardless of the criminal matters because the evidence obtained in a wiretap MUST REMAIIN SEALED UNTIL TRIAL

I cannot believe the stupidity. Tocchet had to leave his job with the Coyotes at least a year early, and regardless of whether or not he is found guilty, he can claim that this damaged his reputation and sue. Janet as well.

"Operation Slapshot' indeed:rolleyes: