PDA

View Full Version : U2 Wins Five Grammys

Nickdfresh
02-09-2006, 09:23 AM
U2 Upstages Carey With Five Grammy Awards
AP - Thu Feb 9, 5:38 AM ET

LOS ANGELES - The Grammys finally showed Mariah Carey a little love — with an emphasis on "little." Though Carey, 2005's biggest pop success, had a leading eight nominations and the chance to make history with the most Grammys won by a woman in a single night, she went home with just three trophies Wednesday. She lost in all of the major categories she was nominated for, including record, song and album of the year. Instead, U2 got all the Grammy glory, as the perennial favorites captured five Grammy awards for their album "How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb," including album of the year.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/entertainment/grammy_awards

m_dixon1984
02-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Proof positive that the 4 horsemen have saddled up and are riding forth.
Makes me want to puke!
Although, their competition for Rock album was weak (Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Rolling Stones, Neil Young) I probably would have voted for Foo Fighters just avoid a U2 or Coldplay posibility.
M

FORD
02-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Stones should have won the rock album simply because it IS their most rockin album in 25 years. But U2's record was damn good too.

As for Neil Young, I haven't heard the whole album, but if the songs he played on SNL a few months ago were representative of it, then it isn't a rock album by any means.

As for Coldplay, if those fucking wanna-be's ever win in a category over U2, I will personally kill them. That would be like Great White taking an award from Zeppelin.

Jérôme Frenchise
02-09-2006, 01:56 PM
U2's own shadows beat the Stones's second (third?) own shadows (sorry FORD, my friend, you know I'm a Stones fan though, but in retrospect, "A Bigger Bang" sounds like a wet firecracker...) and who? Coldplay? They're so dull! Neil Young? I dunno.

Well. Here in France, it's no secret, rock music is more than neglectible, as it's more or less always been. But there are quite a few underground bands that REALLY rock, who are 1,000 times as kickass and as worthy as those that are SOLD everywhere. In a way, it doesn't matter, for they find their audiences. But they aren't rewarded for their value, because many cannot really make ends meet as the bull the music market will sell: I know so bands that are so good that, IMO, they are kept away from big stages WILLINGLY, so that they won't overshadow the silly bands that sell loads and loads of the crappy records that are advertised over and over.

Music, as well as movies, literature, information or politics, have been levelled so lower and lower that critical judgement is becoming a luxury product. I'm sure that there are dozens of real great bands in the US, Britain, Australia and a little everywhere, which are kept in the shadow for the same reasons.
Hey, is it normal to get three old glories competing together with such a joke as Coldplay?? :rolleyes: :mad: :cool:

Jérôme Frenchise
02-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by FORD
As for Coldplay, if those fucking wanna-be's ever win in a category over U2, I will personally kill them.

It's producers and their accomplices, the media, who have been nullifying music for years who should be beheaded IMO. :cool:

That would be like Great White taking an award from Zeppelin.

But U2 is to Led Zep what Coldplay is to U2... They definitely don't belong to the same categories. :cool:

jslav06
02-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Honestly, I never could stand U2. I'd probably vote Foo Fighters if anything.

flappo
02-09-2006, 02:56 PM
u2 are so lame they make the darkness look kewl

fucking shit band

Jimmy Jingles
02-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by jslav06
Honestly, I never could stand U2.

Amen to that!

I have never understood the appeal. U2, in my opinion, = liquid shit.

Vinnie Velvet
02-09-2006, 03:09 PM
For a minute there it seemed like Bono was going to go into some 'politicial' speech or something.

Take the fucking award and just shut the fuck up.

Golden AWe
02-09-2006, 03:18 PM
U2 hasn't made anything interesting during the last 10-15 years

They do have some hope on the horizon, maybe someone kills Bono next year

Mr Grimsdale
02-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by flappo

fucking shit band

ditto

and if i hear bono spouting off about the world i'll be forced to evacuate my bowels over you all

DavidLeeNatra
02-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by flappo

fucking shit band

amen...but awards seem to be for gay projects this year anyway...

Mr. Vengeance
02-09-2006, 05:16 PM
More fucking proof that music sucks dick more than Jm J Bullock at Clay Aiken's homo bath house....

U2 is my most hated band. They stink.

Mr Grimsdale
02-09-2006, 05:20 PM
fire up those furnaces!

Dirty Duck
02-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Five grammys for U2?

Please. I didnt even watch that worthless circus.

U2 Wins 5 grammys...Coldplay sounds just like U2

The only reason I wish I watched the grammys was so

I could see the tribute to Wilson Pickett...a real fucking talent.

U2 is known as the worlds greatest rock band? Is this really

what the public thinks? Sorry...count me the fuck out...

DavidLeeNatra
02-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Stones should have won the rock album simply because it IS their most rockin album in 25 years. But U2's record was damn good too.

Stones should have won the rock album simply because they were nominated...

Wawazat
02-10-2006, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Well. Here in France, it's no secret, rock music is more than neglectible, as it's more or less always been. But there are quite a few underground bands that REALLY rock, who are 1,000 times as kickass and as worthy as those that are SOLD everywhere.

I know so bands that are so good that, IMO, they are kept away from big stages WILLINGLY, so that they won't overshadow the silly bands that sell loads and loads of the crappy records that are advertised over and over.

Could you name some of those bands ?

Jérôme Frenchise
02-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Wawazat
Could you name some of those bands ?

Sure! But remember that I said they were excellent as compared to the lame French bands or artists that are advertised like mad and trust radio programmes... :cool:

So, I'll mention groups whose sites you'll find on the net, like the Wampas (rock steady, subversive band that was condemned after calling "Chirac in jail" - our psdt seeems to have been a long-time crook before (or even after too) his first election), Marcel et son Orchestre (from Northern France, like me :)), a crazy rock fusion group with kickass lyrics, who are the two best underground but successful bands. They manage to be huge here without being broadcast either on air or on TV.
There are very good regional or local bands, like, in my own town, the Tweeters (the guitarist singer is a pal of mine; about 15 years ago, he gave up his job at the UNO to fly to Nashville to make his first record. There he found professional musicians, like the Flamin' Groovies drummer, recorded his stuff and came back to Geneva in the UNO offices to show his brand new vinyle to the folks who wouldn't take him seriously before his departure). The Tweeters play rockab' tunes.
We've also got an awesome 10-member group, l'Orchestre Anonyme, who play more or less all-sorts rock, with 2 guitarists, a bass/double bass player, a clarinet player, a trombone player, drums, a keyboardist/accordeonist and a female singer. We rehearse in the same place with my band. They're really awesome, recently played in Yemen at the French embassy, a very uncommon destination...

That's it for my faves.
Here's a link to Marcel et son Orchestre's site. Select "Baisse la tête - Olympia 2003" in the video section (the 6th or 7th title):

http://www.marceletsonorchestre.com/index.php?top=coincado&main=goodies%2Findex.php

Here's a link to my buddies' site, l'Orchestre Anonyme". Click on "Extraits", and tell me about it. They're just great IMO. The singer is, er... exquisite! :)

http://orchestreanonyme.free.fr/index2.html

Jérôme Frenchise
02-10-2006, 02:52 PM
BTW, one of my best pals here plays bass (but he's a really, really awesome guitarist too) in a "grind metal" band called STUMP FUCKING (:D). They're based in Geneva. It's not my thing, but I have to admit that they fuckin' grind it! :)
One of the guitars is held by a chick. :cool:

http://www.stumpfucking.ch/english/index.html

"Stump Fucking", ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! :D

pete
02-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Stones should have won the rock album simply because it IS their most rockin album in 25 years.

you need to revisit the Voodoo Lounge my friend. It kills this album.

singerman
02-12-2006, 02:44 PM
if U2 arnt the greatest band in world at the moment who is?

Jérôme Frenchise
02-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by singerman
if U2 arnt the greatest band in world at the moment who is?

The Black Crowes!

U2 are just way too poppy IMO. :cool:

singerman
02-12-2006, 03:54 PM
The Black Crowes!

U2 are just way too poppy IMO. :cool:

you gotta be joking, at the moment theres nobody to touch U2 for popularity.They have been together with the same line-up for about 19years and still able to pull out great songs in recent years like Beautiful Day and Vertigo from the bag which were huge hits world wide, and win countless awards,and have the guts to experiment and take risks with different styles of music on their albums and not plod on sticking to the same format.Im sorry but even if you arnt a U2 fan there really is no arguement that have achieved many times over what most 'top' bands would only dream of.

Jérôme Frenchise
02-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Sorry, I can't think of a band without putting "rock" or "metal" before the word "band"...
Well, U2 may still sell millions, but I think they aren't half as good as they were until "Rattle & Hum". They've been a dead band ever since as far as I'm concerned.
I don't give a fuck about record sales, that's no argument at all. It will never be one to me.
How many cunts bought their "Zooropa" bullshit, for instance, and how many bought Dave's "A little ain't enough"?
Are record sales a relevant argument when it comes to stating how good an album is?
How long have most people been music experts??

So, I persist: the Black Crowes have been the greatest band for fifteen years. And don't make me laugh with U2 anymore. PERIOD

DavidLeeNatra
02-12-2006, 05:26 PM
U2 is a kind of band (for me) that does everything totally right...but I can't stand them anyway...no offense...

singerman
02-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Sorry, I can't think of a band without putting "rock" or "metal" before the word "band"...
Well, U2 may still sell millions, but I think they aren't half as good as they were until "Rattle & Hum". They've been a dead band ever since as far as I'm concerned.
I don't give a fuck about record sales, that's no argument at all. It will never be one to me.
How many cunts bought their "Zooropa" bullshit, for instance, and how many bought Dave's "A little ain't enough"?
Are record sales a relevant argument when it comes to stating how good an album is?
How long have most people been music experts??

So, I persist: the Black Crowes have been the greatest band for fifteen years. And don't make me laugh with U2 anymore. PERIOD

I'm sorry you cant think of a 'band' without using the term 'rock' or 'metal', but i'm sure you must be aware that 'rock' is a very broad term when talking about music,and yeah i feel U2 does slot into that broad term pretty well...as for record sales, If a band consistantly sells millions of albums for nearly twenty years, then yes I would say that was a sign of a great band, and yes every band has a few low points but U2 have been incredibly consistant over that long period, not just with record sales, but with their live performances too,and yes us 'cunts' still love to hear tracks from Zooropa as U2 perform tracks from that album to this day,how many tracks from 'Little aint enough' does DLR play these days? i think that answers the question on what makes a great album doesnt it?...bands dont stop playing great songs!.Its at this moment I'd like to point out youve mentioned the black crowes in both of youre posts but failed to give any reasons as to why you feel they are the 'greatest band in the last fifteen years' if youre going to make a statement like that please dont shoot my post down before backing youre own up!.As for being 'music experts'.....we're all music experts arnt we? LOL, after all said and done, we, the general public are the ones that decide whos great and who is'nt

singerman
02-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
U2 is a kind of band (for me) that does everything totally right...but I can't stand them anyway...no offense...

No offense taken!....its nice that someone can have a decent opinion on a band even if you dont like them!

Jérôme Frenchise
02-12-2006, 07:50 PM
I'd like to point out youve mentioned the black crowes in both of youre posts but failed to give any reasons as to why you feel they are the 'greatest band in the last fifteen years' if youre going to make a statement like that please dont shoot my post down before backing youre own up!.As for being 'music experts'.....we're all music experts arnt we? LOL, after all said and done, we, the general public are the ones that decide whos great and who is'nt

The Crowes's music and stage performances are convincing enough in themselves. You could type as many arguments in favor of U2 as you want, I won't change my mind: I never could stand anything they did after "Rattle & Hum", that's all.
I'm not shooting you but your argument... :cool: Record sales will never be any proof of greatness to me.
Because then you would claim that R. Sambora is a greater musician than Jeff Beck, or that R. Williams is a greater act than Iggy Pop...

Well, anyway, better than dozens of lines, here's a link to a Black Crowes vid shot in 2001:

http://www.youtube.com/w/Black-Crowes---Midnight-From-The-Inside-Out-%28Live%29?v=PKIYkiKIMMU&search=Black%20Crowes

Click on pause and let it upload before playing it, so that it doesn't stop and go.
Enjoy! ;)

doctor roth
02-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Grammy awards = sleep. Utter wank

BITEYOASS
02-13-2006, 12:49 AM
U2 and Bob Geldof are the biggest Irish cunts in music history!!! And if they don't like it, then they can kiss my part Ulster-American Ass!!!

BITEYOASS
02-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Break out the Drums! It's time for and Orange march!!!

singerman
02-13-2006, 08:17 PM
The Crowes's music and stage performances are convincing enough in themselves. You could type as many arguments in favor of U2 as you want, I won't change my mind: I never could stand anything they did after "Rattle & Hum", that's all.
I'm not shooting you but your argument... :cool: Record sales will never be any proof of greatness to me.
Because then you would claim that R. Sambora is a greater musician than Jeff Beck, or that R. Williams is a greater act than Iggy Pop...

Well, anyway, better than dozens of lines, here's a link to a Black Crowes vid shot in 2001:

http://www.youtube.com/w/Black-Crowes---Midnight-From-The-Inside-Out-%28Live%29?v=PKIYkiKIMMU&search=Black%20Crowes

Click on pause and let it upload before playing it, so that it doesn't stop and go.
Enjoy! ;)

The black crowes are a great band,ive been singing in a band for about ten years and weve covered a couple of their songs in our early days, but i just dont think they have been able to touch as wide audience as a band like U2,my band plays quite a wide range of bars and clubs and somtimes we change our set list slightly to suit a particular venue and the songs that are never ever dropped are the U2 ones,be it a heavy rock venue or night club.People just love them,and that hasnt got anything to do with album sales?
And i would never claim that any musician is better than another when they play completely different styles of music!, but just to make a point,are you suggesting that jeff beck writes and plays better, cheesy American cock rock than sambora?..... or are you saying sambora writes and plays better blues,rock songs than jeff beck?...see my point?...you cant compare them....anyway back to the original disscussion!....any band that can have a consistant broad fan base,spreading across the entire world selling out large arenas everywhere,selling shit loads of records year after year after year is in a different league to most other bands,love or hate them you cant argue with the statistics!...they are one only a few bands that can claim those stats

Nickdfresh
02-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
Break out the Drums! It's time for and Orange march!!!

I guess you're not aware that U2 is three-fourths Protestant (Anglican) by birth. Larry Mullen Jr. was the only member born Catholic. And the IRA once threatened BONO when he shredded an Irish flag onstage in Germany during the ZooTV tour...

Mr Grimsdale
02-14-2006, 04:00 PM
nothing like a bit of good old fashioned irish sectarianism!

quick, you hold him down while i blow his knee caps off

and they seemed like such nice boys

BITEYOASS
02-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I guess you're not aware that U2 is three-fourths Protestant (Anglican) by birth. Larry Mullen Jr. was the only member born Catholic. And the IRA once threatened BONO when he shredded an Irish flag onstage in Germany during the ZooTV tour...

Well that fucks up my insults toward them. But you have to admit that U2 and Geldof are 100% cunts! :D They should have had Sam Kinison run Live Aid:

http://www.kinison.com/video/latenight_1985-11-14_250k.wmv

Jérôme Frenchise
02-15-2006, 07:53 AM
People just love them [U2's songs],and that hasnt got anything to do with album sales?

[...]any band that can have a consistant broad fan base,spreading across the entire world selling out large arenas everywhere,selling shit loads of records year after year after year is in a different league to most other bands,love or hate them you cant argue with the statistics!...they are one only a few bands that can claim those stats

Bon Jovi can be said to be a great band, then, after your criterion: record sales.
Sorry, that's still no definite sign of quality.

All that you can honestly conclude about the fact MOST people dig them is U2 are mainstream... Round angles, smooth, catch-all melodies... overmediatized.
Nothing they've been playing for more than 15 years (but there already were a few pretty empty tracks in "The Unforgettable Fire" and "The Joshua Tree IMO) contains the least risk.
I saw a DVD of one of their last two tours... What a bore. :rolleyes: And how many people to see such an average music act. :eek:
Most people, yeah, most people...:cool:

Mr Grimsdale
02-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
But you have to admit that U2 and Geldof are 100% cunts!

HA!

Nickdfresh
02-15-2006, 04:00 PM
I've never understood the hate here for U2...LOL:D

Mr Grimsdale
02-15-2006, 04:08 PM
where do i start?

Mr. Vengeance
02-15-2006, 06:15 PM
you gotta be joking, at the moment theres nobody to touch U2 for popularity.

Since when did popularity mean a band was good? The Ramones were NEVER popular. They are the second greatest band of all time (AC/DC first) as far as I'm concerned.

U2 sucks cock. Period.

singerman
02-15-2006, 08:29 PM
ok i give up.... what the hell makes a great band then? cos ive mentioned plenty of facts that add up to a band being cosiderd 'great' but everyone seems to think that apparantly its not about filling arenas with people,selling millions of albums,writing songs that appeal across different musical tastes or winning awards.Ok doing those things ONCE, in a bands lifetime is fantastic, but for a band to do it time and time again for over twenty years and not be cosidered one of the 'greats'!??.....jesus

singerman
02-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Since when did popularity mean a band was good? The Ramones were NEVER popular. They are the second greatest band of all time (AC/DC first) as far as I'm concerned.

U2 sucks cock. Period.

Being popular is one the small things that add up to being a great band i didnt suggest for one minute that U2 were great just because they are popular!....

Mr. Vengeance
02-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Being popular is one the small things that add up to being a great band i didnt suggest for one minute that U2 were great just because they are popular!....

ABBA is popular. Barry Manilow is popular. Mariah Carey is popular. But they are not GREAT. Bands that actually play great music are great. U2 is VERY popular, but they are not great!

jslav06
02-15-2006, 09:02 PM
OK. OK. singerman Stop your babbling...
U2 has accomplished alot. Selling out arenas, selling millions of albums, winning awards, and they have done it for a very long time. BUT, in my opinion and MY opinion only. U2 is a band that they are overrated. The songwriting is decent, but kinda bland. Their live performance (which I saw with my friend for free) was pretty boring and nothing to write home about. What makes a band great is the overall chemistry, performance, and songwriting. They have mediocre songwriting (especially now, uno(1) dos(2) tres(3) catorce(14)? WTF) and their performance was just kinda boring. Thats my OPINION.

By the way this is a hilarious article on The Best Page in the Universe about How to Dismantl an Atomic Bomb.
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst]http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst

singerman
02-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
ABBA is popular. Barry Manilow is popular. Mariah Carey is popular. But they are not GREAT. Bands that actually play great music are great. U2 is VERY popular, but they are not great!

please read my last post as i clearly stated that being popular is just one of the small things that....god can i really be bothered

singerman
02-15-2006, 09:08 PM
and youre wrong....ABBA are great lol

singerman
02-15-2006, 09:17 PM
every weekend when i gig, i do the ultimate music survey on what people want to hear and i say again U2 is wanted where ever we play,AC/DC too!....in the ten years we have been playing, those bands ALWAYS want to be heard by the general public because they consider those bands to play excellent songs....its not difficult to understand that is it guys!?....

singerman
02-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by jslav06
OK. OK. singerman Stop your babbling...
U2 has accomplished alot. Selling out arenas, selling millions of albums, winning awards, and they have done it for a very long time. BUT, in my opinion and MY opinion only. U2 is a band that they are overrated. The songwriting is decent, but kinda bland. Their live performance (which I saw with my friend for free) was pretty boring and nothing to write home about. What makes a band great is the overall chemistry, performance, and songwriting. They have mediocre songwriting (especially now, uno(1) dos(2) tres(3) catorce(14)? WTF) and their performance was just kinda boring. Thats my OPINION.

By the way this is a hilarious article on The Best Page in the Universe about How to Dismantl an Atomic Bomb.
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst]http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst

youre right, overall chemstry,performance and songwriting are all part of the jigsaw in making a band great...it goes with the other stuff already mentioned ;-)

Mr. Vengeance
02-15-2006, 09:47 PM
please read my last post as i clearly stated that being popular is just one of the small things that....god can i really be bothered

It would be easier to read your posts if they made sense...

good bands like AC/C, Alice Cooper, Stones, Beatles,CVH etc..don't need excuses...like U2...