PDA

View Full Version : 1995 California driver test

Jérôme Frenchise
02-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Here's a test... :D
Tomorrow afternoon I'll have 15 of my 17-year-old students take that exam on line, so I wanted to check out my own score before they would do it.
As I've passed my own French driving exam for...17 years now (:eek:...), I expected to score about 15 correct answers, so that I could they would have been spurred by the possibility of beating me. :cool:
But I made NO mistake at all: 20/20! I'll pretend I made 3 or 4 tomorrow, anyway. ;)

Check your own score there if you dare! :p

http://anglaisfacile.com/exercises/drivetst/jv_drvt.html

The questions...

California Driver's Exam
This is a true driving test taken by young Californians in 1995. Would you have passed or failed it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question #1: When a school bus with flashing red lights has stopped on the road ahead of you, you must:
A). Slow to 10 m.p.h
B). Stop until the lights stop flashing
C). Change lanes and pass cautiously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question #2: When you hear the siren or see the red emergency light of a closely approaching ambulance, police vehicle, or fire truck, you must:
A).Drive to the right edge of the road and stop.
B).Move into the right lane and drive slowly until it has passed.
C).Speed up to clear traffic.

Question #3: If you are arrested for drunk driving and refuse to submit to a chemical test of the alcohol content of your blood:
A).Your driving previlege will be withdrawn.
B).You will receive an additional fine.
C).You will not be allowed to post bail.

Question #4: What is a general rule for passenger vehicles regarding blind spots for large trucks and buses?
A).If you can't see the vehicle's mirrors, you can be sure that the truck or bus driver can't see you.
B).If the vehicle has eight mirrors, then there is no blind spot.
C).If you follow no closer than six feet, you are not in a blind spot.

Question #5: Orange colored signs and flags can mean be alert for:
A).Changed road conditions.
B).Speed zones.
C).Carpool lanes.

Question #6: You may not "double park":
A).At any time.
B).Except when making a delivery.
C).Except while waiting in the vehicle.

Question #7: If a traffic light is red, but a police officer or firefighter on duty tells you to go ahead, you should:
A).Wait for the green light.
B).Do as he or she tells you.
C).Report him or her to the Chief of Police.

Question #8: When stopping for any reason along a highway, other than as required by traffic, you should stop:
A).In the right-hand lane.
B).Near the center divider.
C).Off the pavement.

Question #9: If you are involved in a collision:
A).Notify the local law enforcement agency or CHP if anyone is injured or killed.
B).Show evidence that you have insurance only to a peace officer.
C).Stop and identify yourself only if someone is injured.

Question #10: You have a restriction on your license that states "must wear corrective lenses." You lost your glasses the day before. What should you do?
A).Limit your driving to familiar routes until you replace your glasses.
B).Do not drive until your glasses are replaced.
C).Drive only in an emergency.

Question #11: Looking ahead while driving means that you should:
A). Look as far ahead as you can see.
B). Look at the car immediately ahead of you.
C). Scan (keep your eyes moving).

Question #12: Should you signal when you don't see any vehicles around?
A).Yes, a vehicle you don't see might hit you.
B).No, there isn't any need to signal if you don't see anyone else on the road.
C).Yes, to maintain good signalling habits.

Question #13: Blocking an intersection during "rush hour" traffic is:
A).Permitted if you have already waited through two red lights.
B).Permitted as long as some of the cross traffic can get around you.
C).Never permitted.

Question #14: The maximum legal blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level for persons age 18 or older is:
A).Eight tenths (.80) of one percent.
B).One tenth (0.10) of one percent.
C).Eight hundredths (0.08) of one percent.

Question #15: When you come to a corner where there is a flashing yellow light, you must:
A).Stop before crossing.
B).Wait for the green light.
C).Slow down and cross carefully.

Question #16: When you follow too closely and another driver cuts suddenly in front of you, what is the best thing to do?
A).Slam on the brakes.
B).Swerve into the lane next to you.
C).Take your foot off the gas pedal.

Question #17: Which of the following could best contribute to impoved traffic flow?
A).Raising the speed limit.
B).Public transportation.
C).Eliminating the space cushion.

Question #18: You must always look carefully for motorcycles before you change lanes or make a left turn because they:
A).Have the right-of-way.
B).Are hard to see.
C).Are driven too fast.

Question #19: Carpool lanes are marked with a diamond symbol. To use these lanes during the special hours shown on the signs, you must:
A).Be driving a van or bus.
B).Drive at the speed limit or have your lights on.
C).Have the minimum number of passengers shown on the signs.

Question #20: A flashing red traffic light at an intersection means that you must:
A).Slow down before entering.
B).Stop before entering.
C).Wait for the green light.

Sarge's Little Helper
02-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Here's a test... :D
Tomorrow afternoon I'll have 15 of my 17-year-old students take that exam on line, so I wanted to check out my own score before they would do it.
As I've passed my own French driving exam for...17 years now (:eek:...), I expected to score about 15 correct answers, so that I could they would have been spurred by the possibility of beating me. :cool:
But I made NO mistake at all: 20/20! I'll pretend I made 3 or 4 tomorrow, anyway. ;)

Check your own score there if you dare! :p

http://anglaisfacile.com/exercises/drivetst/jv_drvt.html

The questions...

California Driver's Exam
This is a true driving test taken by young Californians in 1995. Would you have passed or failed it?

Question #1: When a school bus with flashing red lights has stopped on the road ahead of you, you must:
A). Slow to 10 m.p.h
B). Stop until the lights stop flashing
C). Change lanes and pass cautiously.

Question #2: When you hear the siren or see the red emergency light of a closely approaching ambulance, police vehicle, or fire truck, you must:
A).Drive to the right edge of the road and stop.
B).Move into the right lane and drive slowly until it has passed.
C).Speed up to clear traffic.

Question #3: If you are arrested for drunk driving and refuse to submit to a chemical test of the alcohol content of your blood:
A).Your driving previlege will be withdrawn.
B).You will receive an additional fine.
C).You will not be allowed to post bail.

Question #4: What is a general rule for passenger vehicles regarding blind spots for large trucks and buses?
A).If you can't see the vehicle's mirrors, you can be sure that the truck or bus driver can't see you.
B).If the vehicle has eight mirrors, then there is no blind spot.
C).If you follow no closer than six feet, you are not in a blind spot.

Question #5: Orange colored signs and flags can mean be alert for:
A).Changed road conditions.
B).Speed zones.
C).Carpool lanes.

Question #6: You may not "double park":
A).At any time.
B).Except when making a delivery.
C).Except while waiting in the vehicle.

Question #7: If a traffic light is red, but a police officer or firefighter on duty tells you to go ahead, you should:
A).Wait for the green light.
B).Do as he or she tells you.
C).Report him or her to the Chief of Police.

Question #8: When stopping for any reason along a highway, other than as required by traffic, you should stop:
A).In the right-hand lane.
B).Near the center divider.
C).Off the pavement.

Question #9: If you are involved in a collision:
A).Notify the local law enforcement agency or CHP if anyone is injured or killed.
B).Show evidence that you have insurance only to a peace officer.
C).Stop and identify yourself only if someone is injured.

Question #10: You have a restriction on your license that states "must wear corrective lenses." You lost your glasses the day before. What should you do?
A).Limit your driving to familiar routes until you replace your glasses.
B).Do not drive until your glasses are replaced.
C).Drive only in an emergency.

Question #11: Looking ahead while driving means that you should:
A). Look as far ahead as you can see.
B). Look at the car immediately ahead of you.
C). Scan (keep your eyes moving).

Question #12: Should you signal when you don't see any vehicles around?
A).Yes, a vehicle you don't see might hit you.
B).No, there isn't any need to signal if you don't see anyone else on the road.
C).Yes, to maintain good signalling habits.

Question #13: Blocking an intersection during "rush hour" traffic is:
A).Permitted if you have already waited through two red lights.
B).Permitted as long as some of the cross traffic can get around you.
C).Never permitted.

Question #14: The maximum legal blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level for persons age 18 or older is:
A).Eight tenths (.80) of one percent.
B).One tenth (0.10) of one percent.
C).Eight hundredths (0.08) of one percent.

Question #15: When you come to a corner where there is a flashing yellow light, you must:
A).Stop before crossing.
B).Wait for the green light.
C).Slow down and cross carefully.

Question #16: When you follow too closely and another driver cuts suddenly in front of you, what is the best thing to do?
A).Slam on the brakes.
B).Swerve into the lane next to you.
C).Take your foot off the gas pedal.

Question #17: Which of the following could best contribute to impoved traffic flow?
A).Raising the speed limit.
B).Public transportation.
C).Eliminating the space cushion.

Question #18: You must always look carefully for motorcycles before you change lanes or make a left turn because they:
A).Have the right-of-way.
B).Are hard to see.
C).Are driven too fast.

Question #19: Carpool lanes are marked with a diamond symbol. To use these lanes during the special hours shown on the signs, you must:
A).Be driving a van or bus.
B).Drive at the speed limit or have your lights on.
C).Have the minimum number of passengers shown on the signs.

Question #20: A flashing red traffic light at an intersection means that you must:
A).Slow down before entering.
B).Stop before entering.
C).Wait for the green light.

Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.

Jérôme Frenchise
02-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Sarge's Little Helper
Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.

Oh, just a driving test. How're you doing, my dear? :cool:

blonddgirl777
02-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Jérôme,
I am not shitting you...

I passed the California driving test in1995!
It was a different one (they had about 10)...

It was full of tricky questions... the one that I will always remember (I got it wrong) is;

What would be the best way to avoid an accident on the freeway?
A) Avoiding useless changes of lane
B) Keep a good distance between cars
C) Use public transportation

The answer was... "C"!!!

Of course... if I stay home or take the bus, I won't have any car accident!
So what am I doing here, trying to get a DRIVER's license???

Dddhhha!!!

Cathedral
02-10-2006, 12:22 AM
20/20 and that's using Ohio's laws, lol.

Though i may have answered the questions right, the reality of what i do is quite different.

Like when someone pulls out in front of you and your following too close, letting off the gas is what they want you to do but hitting the brakes is what we always do, lol.

hey, if your following too close and get cut off hitting the brakes is all that will keep you from hitting the car, lol. well, in some cases and depending on your speed.

If nothing else these questions are all common sense questions.
nobody drives according to the letter of the law, nobody.

Jérôme Frenchise
02-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777
Of course... if I stay home or take the bus, I won't have any car accident!
So what am I doing here, trying to get a DRIVER's license???

Dddhhha!!!

:D Those who got 20/20 must be a little weird...

Jérôme Frenchise
02-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Though i may have answered the questions right, the reality of what i do is quite different.

Like when someone pulls out in front of you and your following too close, letting off the gas is what they want you to do but hitting the brakes is what we always do, lol.

hey, if your following too close and get cut off hitting the brakes is all that will keep you from hitting the car, lol. well, in some cases and depending on your speed.

If nothing else these questions are all common sense questions.
nobody drives according to the letter of the law, nobody.

Right on! I told my students yesterday that whenever they didn't know what option to choose, they should select the most "logical" solution, or the one that would mean more security than the other two.

I did 3 mistakes myself - one girl made only 2, and the rest of the class had between 4 and 10 errors. I helped them as far as vocab, syntax turns of phrases and specific aspects of the American highway code.
Most of them often found the questions and their solutions surprising, if not, in a couple of cases, absurd.
Some of them have already passed their own driving licenses, so the highway code is still a fresh memory for them (unlike me, I've had my license for 17 years now).
Here you have 40 different situations, and you have to choose between 4 options each time. You fail if you make more than 5 mistakes.
I remember being asked to stay in the end by the examinator. At that time, you had to bore a hole in front of the answer you chose, and at one point in my cards there was a doubt. He asked me the question again (if I was wrong, I failed, because I got 34 points...). I gave the right answer.
I realise that I haven't been paying much attention to road signs ever since; if I had to take the exam again, I would surely not be successful... :o