View Full Version : Cindy Sheehan: "I Have Decided Not to Run"

DLR'sCock
02-09-2006, 04:35 PM
"It's Not Enough to Criticize the President's Policies"
By Cindy Sheehan
t r u t h o u t | Statement

Thursday 09 February 2006

Remarks as prepared for delivery.
First of all, I would like to thank everyone for coming today, and send out to my daughter, Carly, a big Happy Birthday. She is 25 today. She is now older than Casey was when he was killed in Iraq on April 4, 2004.

I would also like to thank everyone from all over the world who has sent me emails of support and encouragement to consider a challenge to Dianne Feinstein's Senate seat. I literally got hundreds of emails. I am overwhelmed with gratitude and love.

During the Vietnam War, Senator George McGovern stated the following on the Senate floor in September of 1970:

"Every senator in this chamber is partly responsible for sending 50,000 young Americans to an early grave. This chamber reeks of blood ... It does not take any courage at all for a congressman, or a senator, or a president to wrap himself in the flag and say we are staying in Vietnam, because it is not our blood that is being shed. But we are responsible for those young men and their lives and their hopes."

The lack of courage of America's present Senate is partially responsible for my son's death and the deaths of tens of thousands of innocent people. Dianne Feinstein is one of the senators who expediently gave her Constitutional obligation to George Bush to invade an innocent country. Dianne Feinstein continues to vote to give George Bush more money to fund what she calls a "mistake." George Bush has been proven to be irresponsible with our young people's lives and with our tax dollars, but the senator keeps giving him more money and more power to prolong the murder and mayhem in Iraq.

I am standing here today to say "enough." It is not enough to "criticize" the President's policies while you are handing him more money to fund his policies. It is like giving an addict more money to purchase drugs when you would like him or her to quit.

It is not enough to criticize the President's policies when more and more flag-draped coffins are coming home each day and more families are being devastated by these policies while other people are putting food on their tables and becoming fabulously wealthy off of Casey's flesh and blood and the sorrow of scores of others.

I am here today to call on not only Senator Feinstein, but our other senator, Senator Boxer, who heroically did not abrogate her responsibility to declare war to the President, to quit "figuring out" ways to bring our troops home and start sponsoring legislation. The last Senate vote for increased funding for the killing was 99-0. How about cutting off the President's means for killing? It is not that difficult. There is not one piece of legislation in the Senate currently in opposition to Iraq.

It is not "enough" to say that one is critical of the war in Iraq. I and The Nation magazine have called on every Democrat of good conscience in America to oppose "pro-war" Democrats in the upcoming elections. If an elected official voted for the war, votes for the funding of the war, and doesn't call for an immediate withdrawal of the troops, then that official is "pro-war," no matter what he or she says. We in America are fed up with rhetoric, and if the actions don't match the rhetoric, then we are not buying what they are selling anymore.

I have been weighing my decision to run for Senate here in California carefully, even before Camp Casey. My entire being since Casey was killed has been immersed in trying to end the occupation of Iraq before any other mothers have to fall on the floor screaming for their child who should not have been in harm's way in the first place. In making my decision whether to run or not, I had to decide which course of action would bring the troops home sooner. Is my being on the outside, putting pressure on the inside more effective, or would a Senate campaign help bring our kids home sooner? If I thought that running for Senate would bring our young people home more quickly, I would do it in a minute, but I am not convinced that that would be so.

I have decided not to run, but I am calling on all Californians and Americans to support all anti-war candidates to promote a paradigm of peace in the world, and I will be supporting and working for dozens of anti-war candidates all over the country. Our emphasis will be holding all of the pro-war candidates accountable for their tragic mistakes, and voting in representatives who will hold George Bush and his administration accountable for all of their mistakes in Iraq and here in America.

We Americans are looking for ways to become involved in our political process. We are tired of being complacent and we are so tired of business as usual.

Gold Star Families for Peace and Code Pink are sponsoring an International Women's Day for Peace on March 8 th. We are holding rallies and events all over the world that day. Specifically, we are trying to bring two Iraqi mothers whose children have been killed over from Iraq to speak at our event in Washington, DC, and they are being denied visas from the State Department. My freedom of speech and my civil rights were violated last week for wearing a t-shirt; now these Iraqi women who have paid the ultimate price for our leaders' stupidity and greed are being denied the right to come to America and tell their stories. We are urging America to call the State Department and demand that these two women be given visas.

We are also encouraging grass roots Americans to demand that the Senate start doing something to end the travesty in Iraq. We believe that it will be the women who lead our nation to peace and we are especially calling on America to put pressure on Hillary Clinton, Dianne Feinstein, and Barbara Boxer to be the leaders that our nation so desperately needs. It is time.

It is too late for me. My life and the lives of nearly 2300 American families have been tragically altered by the ennui of the Senate and the callousness and incompetence of this administration. I will never get to see my son or hear his voice again. His future was robbed needlessly from him. The complicity of the Senate has guaranteed that my future is one of pain and longing for my son's presence. It is not too late for the millions of people still in harm's way.

I, as an American, and as the mother of a hero, pledge to do what I can as a citizen to end the occupation of Iraq. I am not running against Feinstein, but I will continue to be a thorn in the side of the senator and anyone who is not stridently working for peace. That is my promise.

To get information to pressure the State Department and our senators and for information on the International Women's Day for Peace, go to: WomenSayNoToWar.org.

Thank you and God Bless America ... Please!!!

FORD
02-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Too bad.... I was considering a move to Northern California if they actually were able to get two actual Democrats in the Senate.

Feinstein is about as useless as tits on a rooster.

Warham
02-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Too bad.... I was considering a move to Northern California if they actually were able to get two actual Democrats in the Senate.

Glad to hear you say that, FORD. She's at least as inept as the rest of the Democrats on the Judiciary Committee: Feingold, Kennedy, Leahy, Turbin, that old dude from Wisconsin Herbie Kohl, and let's not forget my favorite, Chuckie.

BigBadBrian
02-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Glad to hear you say that, FORD. She's at least as inept as the rest of the Democrats on the Judiciary Committee: Feingold, Kennedy, Leahy, Turbin, that old dude from Wisconsin Herbie Kohl, and let's not forget my favorite, Chuckie.

She may be inept, but it was probably hers and Boxer's people that persuaded that woman not to run.

Warham
02-09-2006, 05:06 PM
I thought Sheehan was their poster child?

It only reinforces what I've always believed. Cindy Sheehan is just a tool for the left. Once she made herself out to be a loon, she turned into a liability.

Nickdfresh
02-09-2006, 10:36 PM
I thought Sheehan was their poster child?

It only reinforces what I've always believed. Cindy Sheehan is just a tool for the left. Once she made herself out to be a loon, she turned into a liability.

You forgot to mention all of the tools on the right...

Warham
02-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Rush Limbaugh? He's been a really good tool for the last fifteen years.

I'm still waiting on a tool from the left that'll have those kinds of ratings on national airwaves.

Cathedral
02-10-2006, 09:33 AM

Oh, you mean those people that can actually WIN elections?

It's like when a kid is playing a video game and doing poorly, he blames the controller for not working right yet the next player finds no problem with it, lol.

Grey skies are gonna clear up, put on a happy face!

Nickdfresh
02-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Rush Limbaugh? He's been a really good tool for the last fifteen years.

I'm still waiting on a tool from the left that'll have those kinds of ratings on national airwaves.

I guess you could consider Oprah to be "to the left." Personally I think she's a big phony baloney, but her empire makes Douche Limpbog look like a tiny tot of the kilowatt...

FORD
02-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral

It's like when a kid is playing a video game and doing poorly, he blames the controller for not working right yet the next player finds no problem with it, lol.

The tool that Republicans "win" elections with looks like this.....

http://josephhall.org/nqb2/media/squelch_diebold.jpg

Not to say that Oxycontin Boy and other right wing propagandists haven't been somewhat effective. Look at 4moronicyears. That stupid troll will believe every word they say and every chain letter they send him.

And there are other problems within the political system, such as corporatist Republican moles choosing the Democratic candidate in 2004. But the #1 problem remains electro-fraud voting. Because if you can't even know for a fact that your vote was counted as you intended, what fucking good is the rest of it anyway?

4moreyears
02-10-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm a fucking bored troll with really low self esteem.

Nickdfresh
02-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral

Well, that depends on "winning." No matter how hapless the Democrats can appear, they're going to reap numerous rewards from Republican'ts incompetence and corruption scandals...

It's tough to remain the dominant party when you can win elections (with the smallest percentage of votes ever by an incumbant President), yet continually show you cannot govern effectively and ignore serious problems...

diamondD
02-10-2006, 01:14 PM
It's not that tough when apparantly the other side doesn't offer anything better. The incumbants have a much better chance of retaining then.

FORD
02-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
It's not that tough when apparantly the other side doesn't offer anything better. The incumbants have a much better chance of retaining then.

Democratic Priorities
"One, American jobs that will stay in America using energy independence to generate those jobs. Two, a strong national defense based on telling the truth to our citizens, our soldiers and our allies. Three, honesty and integrity to be restored to government. Four, a health care system that works for everybody just like they have 36 in other countries. And five, a strong public education system so we can have optimism and opportunity back in America."

Now are you going to tell me that isn't better than lies, corruption, and fascist imperialism??

Warham
02-10-2006, 01:33 PM
I guess you could consider Oprah to be "to the left." Personally I think she's a big phony baloney, but her empire makes Douche Limpbog look like a tiny tot of the kilowatt...

Rush isn't into getting a 'Phoney Baloney Memoirs of the Month Club' going.

Warham
02-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Well, that depends on "winning." No matter how hapless the Democrats can appear, they're going to reap numerous rewards from Republican'ts incompetence and corruption scandals...

It's tough to remain the dominant party when you can win elections (with the smallest percentage of votes ever by an incumbant President), yet continually show you cannot govern effectively and ignore serious problems...

We'll see how they 'reap' awards come this November and 2008.

Would you like to put a wager down that the Democrats won't win either house back?

Warham
02-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Democratic Priorities
"One, American jobs that will stay in America using energy independence to generate those jobs. Two, a strong national defense based on telling the truth to our citizens, our soldiers and our allies. Three, honesty and integrity to be restored to government. Four, a health care system that works for everybody just like they have 36 in other countries. And five, a strong public education system so we can have optimism and opportunity back in America."

Telling the truth to our citizens, like Howard Dean puts it...

"the idea that we're going to win the war in Iraq is an idea which is just plain wrong"

The health care system in 36 other countries, huh? Like France, Germany and Russia? Our country has THE best health care in the world, period.

diamondD
02-10-2006, 01:42 PM
I'll answer your question even tho you won't answer mine in the other thread.

Talking about it doesn't get it. You have to offer solutions, not dreams. And you have to make it affordable. Otherwise, you'll still be at home crying in your milk about how Diebold kept the will of the people down again.

Now back up your statement in the other thread.

diamondD
02-10-2006, 01:54 PM
And before you claim ignorance again, here's the thread.

Psych Ops (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32974)

FORD
02-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Telling the truth to our citizens, like Howard Dean puts it...

"the idea that we're going to win the war in Iraq is an idea which is just plain wrong"

Yes, that was the truth. Do you need another black wall with 58,000 names on it to realize that reality?

The health care system in 36 other countries, huh? Like France, Germany and Russia? Our country has THE best health care in the world, period.

Maybe for the "haves" and "have mores" in Chimpy's base. Certainly not for the people that have no coverage at all. And not for anyone who has to go to a Frist-fucking HCA hospital either.

Warham
02-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Yeah, they should offer better options to people who can't get health care for various reasons, but we still have better health care than any of those countries. Why? Because the government doesn't run it!

4moreyears
02-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Maybe for the "haves" and "have mores" in Chimpy's base. Certainly not for the people that have no coverage at all. And not for anyone who has to go to a Frist-fucking HCA hospital either.

We should become a communist country then the government can give us everything.

FORD
02-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Beats a fascist empire with the corporations raping and pillaging everyone.

4moreyears
02-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Beats a fascist empire with the corporations raping and pillaging everyone.

I guess you should move to Cuba then. Let me know I will help you pack.

Big Train
02-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Ford will be on the only raft trying to get IN to Cuba..

bobgnote
02-15-2006, 06:22 PM

She owns about as much energy as Ken Lay used to, according to legend. Her little hooker Ashley likes to hang up on me, so we look at TV and there's shiny-Feiny up there geeking, with NO notice that the power deals are inflationary, NO contempt of Congress for Alito, but lots of good old jingoism and aid to Israel, for several shiny flaws.

Nickdfresh
02-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by bobgnote
She owns about as much energy as Ken Lay used to, according to legend. Her little hooker Ashley likes to hang up on me, so we look at TV and there's shiny-Feiny up there geeking, with NO notice that the power deals are inflationary, NO contempt of Congress for Alito, but lots of good old jingoism and aid to Israel, for several shiny flaws.

Seriously, is some word scrambling program used by this lame troll?

Warham
02-15-2006, 07:07 PM
lol. :)

4moreyears
02-15-2006, 08:31 PM

Anyone who is not a kiss ass liberal is a troll eh Nick? Give it up sheep.

PS: Cindy Sheehan is a cunt.

FORD
02-15-2006, 10:53 PM

Actually, I almost understood that one. Bob must have remembered his meds today.