PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys actually like Dave minus VH?

UGS
02-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Seriously, do you think Dave's albums were good after he left VH, or was it just the next best thing to CVH?

Obvioulsy it was better than Van Hagar, but I really don't care for Dave's solo stuff. There's a few good tracks on EEAS, but over all it's total crap compared to CVH. It's like CVH with the feel and swing sucked right out of it.

Fair Warning pisses circles around EEAS.

I'd go so far to say Dave sucks w/o Van Halen, but Van Halen sucks more w/o Dave. Keep in mind, sucking is sucking.

Jahuli
02-10-2006, 10:05 PM
FUCK OFF!

UGS
02-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Dude, Classic Van Halen is untouchable, I love it more than anything, always will. . . but no band at any point in its career can come close to it.

Dave and Eddie's chemistry can't be replaced, or equalled in terms of greatness.

Julius
02-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by UGS
Dude, Classic Van Halen is untouchable, I love it more than anything, always will. . . but no band at any point in its career can come close to it.

True.

Originally posted by UGS
Dave and Eddie's chemistry can't be replaced, or equalled in terms of greatness.

Also true.

But remember, this is a ROTH site, not a VH site. Any criticism of Roth will likely be swiftly met with some unpleasant feedback.

Dave's solo stuff had it's highs and lows, in my opinion it wasn't all gold...

But Dave on his worst day is 10000 times better than Sammy on his best day.

Matt White
02-10-2006, 10:32 PM
DAVID LEE ROTH solo had it's outstanding tracks......

He has always needed a BAND behind him.....

The Lesser the musicians behind him the more the music suffered...as for ANY solo Singer.......

Look at ROBERT PLANTS career......

And yeah...ANY DAVE solo material SHITS ALL OVER van hagar.......

cuz DAVID LEE ROTH IS VAN HALEN.......

UGS
02-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Matt White

The Lesser the musicians behind him the more the music suffered...as for ANY solo Singer.......

All true. All I'm saying is that CVH gives me goosebumps, and Dave solo does nothing for me. I'm asking if anyone else feels that way.

I realize this is a Dave site, but that doesn't mean you have to call everything he's ever done golden.

This site "celebrates DLR and CVH" . . . I just choose to celebrate one a lot harder than the other.

Matt White
02-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Grate...and most of us celebrate ALL of DAVE's career....

Whatever floats yer boat........

DavidLeeNatra
02-11-2006, 04:31 AM
the question is...can dave solo stand the test of time...some does, some doesn't...true dat...but - to use your image - dave solo pisses circles around any van hagar and some of his solo tunes were better than some CVH...but the CVH catalogue is better than the dave solo catalogue over all....

jslav06
02-11-2006, 10:29 AM
I love Dave solo stuff, not all of it, but a lot of it. And of course I love CVH stuff, thats without a doubt.

UGS
02-11-2006, 12:46 PM

UGS
02-11-2006, 12:48 PM
some of his solo tunes were better than some CVH

To each his own I guess. . .to me, there's something missing in the solo stuff that every CVH song has. The magic is gone or something.

To me, the CVH line-up is one of those things that happens once in eternity. All the planets were aligned or some shit like that. What are the odds that the perfect singer for a certain guitarist who was the perfect guitarist for that same singer would meet and start a band together? It defies logic. No one is better for Dave than Eddie, and no one is better than Eddie for Dave. It's tragic almost, the way things are.

Rebel
02-11-2006, 04:08 PM
whatever. ALAE, EEAS and DLR Band are awesome fuckin albums. I spin those more than I do Diver Down or 1984.

Was Dave solo as good as CVH? No. But is it good? Hell yea!!!

Rebel
02-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Jahuli
FUCK OFF!

Dude is just giving his opinion. Some may agree with it, most not, but he's got the right.

DavidLeeNatra
02-12-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Rebel
Dude is just giving his opinion. Some may agree with it, most not, but he's got the right.

and everyone has the right to flame his ass for it, army-style... :D

Jérôme Frenchise
02-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by UGS
I realize this is a Dave site, but that doesn't mean you have to call everything he's ever done golden.

Nobody here would say that all of Dave's solo is top shit. Just have a read through this section of the site...
Yet, nobody will question his solo work here, safe Hagar idolators... :cool:

UGS
02-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
and everyone has the right to flame his ass for it, army-style... :D

Uh-oh, don't "flame my ass army-style". How will I ever go on? :rolleyes: :D

No, but seriously, does anyone else agree that something crucial is missing in Dave's solo stuff? I realize that Dave has always fronted bands of absolute top-notch musicianship, and the results have been better than most other bands of the late 80s (especially Van Hagar). But upon listening to it, there's inevitable comparissons to CVH that come up, and he can't help but fall short.

I'm just trying to start some decent discussion about the man who inspired this website. Some people here take criticizm of Dave wayyyy too personally.

thome
02-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by UGS
Uh-oh, don't "flame my ass army-style". How will I ever go on? :rolleyes: :D

I'm just trying to start some decent discussion about the man who inspired this website. Some people here take criticizm of Dave wayyyy too personally.

Re-Read your post from I'm.. to ....website.

Then from Some.... to.... personally.

Think about it...?.......?..... is it coming to you........?

Me, on a personal level, like the sound of Daves voice, he is capable
of singing all "STYLES" of music...Yes/No..?

If you want to hear Dave sing w/VH listen to VH w/ Dave.

I like Daves solo, because allot of it is stuff VH wouldn't touch,
being as they are wrapped in VH style, that is great (love it, just love it, you gotta love it,jus gotta,),.but
-Dave Style- Rules over most other bands.

As in Dave is a style, in ,on, an about, his own style, also...Yes/No..?

Here is the tricky part ....?-

Name me -One- other lead singer from a -rock band- that has had a huge post- that band- career....

Rod Stewart from ....faces..? who else...?

Then you will realize Dave is Van Halen...Yes/No..?

UGS
02-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Rod Stewart, or any other singer, that sucks after leaving a band has nothing to do with this. Yes, Dave might be better than all of them, but it doesn't change the fact that he needs Van Halen almost as much as Van Halen needs him.

That doesn't mean Dave is as bad as Van Hagar, b/c that clearly is not the case. Van Hagar is utter crap, and Dave solo is mediocre/good, depending on the song. But Van Halen w/ Dave is the best thing in the history of sound itself. So who wants to be merely good/mediocre when you could be (were) the best thing in the history of sound itself? That's why they need each other. That's also why I don't listen to Dave minus VH anymore. If you do, good for you, seriously, whatever floats your boat. I'm just making a valid point.

thome
02-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by UGS
Rod Stewart, or any other singer, that sucks after leaving a band has nothing to do with this. Yes, Dave might be better than all of them, but it doesn't change the fact that he needs Van Halen almost as much as Van Halen needs him.

-Need -is a bit harsh, all in VH, are good enough to Be in other bands..Yes/No..?

When the -FOUR- come together in the studio, it is majic..Yes/No..?

Do --YOU NEED--- Dave to be in VH for- YOU- to appreciate his -Talent-
evidently so.Yes/No..?

If the band is anything more than a acoustic band, orchestra etc..

Then the vocals become the -LEAD- in the Band, so the lead singer
is the -FRONT MAN-.Maybe the most integral part ,,,

You may not be a singer, you may find vocals not that important..Yes/No..?

I do find the vocals -Mondo Importante'-So Dave is not in -NEED- of
VH...I am not Dave, so i don't like putting words in his mouth.

Dave NEEDS what he NEEDS Visa/Versa w/VH.

If they choose to play together again, it's their choice..Yes/No..?

DavidLeeNatra
02-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by thome
I like Daves solo, because allot of it is stuff VH wouldn't touch,
being as they are wrapped in VH style, that is great (love it, just love it, you gotta love it,jus gotta,),.but
-Dave Style- Rules over most other bands.

that's the point...what I always liked most about dave is his ability to take any song and make it his own and his variety...there is so much music in him that he could have never done with the sisters...

dave and ed are magic, I give you that...and there will always be something "special" in what they did (and maybe will do) but I don't want to miss any dave solo and would never call it mediocre...

thome
02-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
that's the point...what I always liked most about dave is his ability to take any song and make it his own and his variety...there is so much music in him that he could have never done with the sisters...

dave and ed are magic, I give you that...and there will always be something "special" in what they did (and maybe will do) but I don't want to miss any dave solo and would never call it mediocre...

I agree I was re-listening to archived Roth Radio and Dave
is talkin about the stones and -Dissin- them a little.

Then stops mid sentence and towards the others in the studio
an sais,-would Van Halen be good with me -,(something close to that)
a honest sincere tone on his voice..

Kinda like what do you guys think..? they were all -yeah shure-It would be great
then dave starts in about the Music they cut back in 02 ,-Dave called
it The Second Failin of Van Halen-,lol

I'd pay -Real Money- to hear some of those tracks, he also mentioned
can i play those on the air ....?

I was like do-it ...cool we will probably hear them some day..
hope springs eternal..
:D

diamondsgirl
02-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by UGS
Seriously, do you think Dave's albums were good after he left VH, or was it just the next best thing to CVH?

Yes to both.

Terry
02-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by UGS

Obvioulsy it was better than Van Hagar, but I really don't care for Dave's solo stuff. There's a few good tracks on EEAS, but over all it's total crap compared to CVH. It's like CVH with the feel and swing sucked right out of it.

I'd go so far to say Dave sucks w/o Van Halen, but Van Halen sucks more w/o Dave. Keep in mind, sucking is sucking.

Gotta disagree with you there.

In fact, I give EEAS more spin-time than I do 1984.

Wasn't a case of just buying whatever Dave put out just because I was missing CVH, either. If that were true, stands to reason that I would have dug the Van Hagar stuff, too (which I didn't).

Pretty much give the Crazy From The Heat EP a skip.

EEAS is fan-fucking-tastic.

Skyscraper is kinda like EEAS Pt. 2 for me. Couple of tracks I give a miss to nowadays.

A Little Ain't Enough was a great effort. Becker was smokin'. In fact, I enjoyed what Becker was doing way more than I enjoyed Vai's stuff on Skyscraper. Enjoyed the songs a bit more as well.

Your Filthy Little Mouth is pretty much where one can make the distinction between hard-core Roth fans and casual fans. Dave threw a lot of curves on that one, with sometimes less-than-stellar results ('No Big 'Ting', anyone?). I enjoy it for its sheer diversity, but I have to be in the right mood to listen to it.

DLR Band is about as close as he's gotten since EEAS to just straight-up going out and trying to duplicate the CVH style. If you dug CVH, there's a lot on this disc that will appeal to you.

The 'Diamond Dave' cd is a misfire, IMO. Too many covers with nothing that great on any of them that warranted them being redone. Roth would have served us better by just putting out the soundtrack to No-Holds-BBQ than this stuff.

Don't think Roth's stuff really deserves to be compared to CVH in some ways, because he was only 1/4 of CVH, and he (unlike some of his former bandmates) didn't put his solo stuff out under the Van Halen name. I listen to Roth solo and CVH for different things...but I will say the style of EEAS might have been a logical progression for CVH had Dave stayed and Ed not decided to dedicate his talents to writing pop-40 synth ballads.

thome
02-24-2006, 05:41 PM
The real question is do you have a problem with the success Dave
has had without Van Halen.I Don't.

I would much rather see Dave
solo( his radio show is a glimpse of his talent,yet not enough for me
but a week of his show is almost like one note of his music so a year
of Daves show is like a whole album just not as much FUN...LOL)than Van Halen
in any incarnation other than CVH.

I wish someone would start this thread.here how it go...ta da...!
-----------------------------
With the Talent that lies in the soul of David Lee Roth given time,
if he chooses, this -Radio Dave-, show could adjust and with Time
and the ability that is Daves creativity, he could create a really
-Impressive Style/ Type of Radio- show never before seen in the
history of the medium.

The live Music, The singer in the studio the guest musicians that could perform with him Live at the Box..!Some really creative juices could flow.
I am into the Idea of Live Music fleshed out daily with music and topical politics guests of the reality of Live Radio from a REAL MUSICIAN his take on Todays and Yesterdays music comes from Years of tramping the Bar to Stadium to seeing other musicians

Dave is a lil bit of a National Treasure he jus a man but the fun times
if he chooses could be unbelievable..!

Terry
02-27-2006, 09:10 PM
I have no problem with Dave having success in his solo career.

Really, I would have had no problem with Ed having success with someone other than Dave fronting the band, if he had changed the name from Van Halen to something else.

I don't think everything Dave did post-1984 was brilliant, but then I never thought every single CVH track was great, either.

But Dave since about 1999 has been kinda looking backwards too much with respect to what he did in CVH. His live shows turned into the CVH Experience, he totally neglected his solo catalog, and the Diamond Dave CD clearly wasn't Dave giving his best effort.

PumpedUpMidget
02-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Terry
I have no problem with Dave having success in his solo career.

Really, I would have had no problem with Ed having success with someone other than Dave fronting the band, if he had changed the name from Van Halen to something else.

I don't think everything Dave did post-1984 was brilliant, but then I never thought every single CVH track was great, either.

But Dave since about 1999 has been kinda looking backwards too much with respect to what he did in CVH. His live shows turned into the CVH Experience, he totally neglected his solo catalog, and the Diamond Dave CD clearly wasn't Dave giving his best effort.

Could not have worded it any better.

Thorman
02-28-2006, 12:29 AM
NO!!! He sucks solo and with anyone else...Put it this way..he sucksQQ

BAM

RuzDNailz
02-28-2006, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Thorman
Right now....Sammy is licking tequila off my little wiener!

BAM

Maybe that's the secret ingredient. :uck: :uck: :uck:

Terry
02-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Thorman
NO!!! He sucks solo and with anyone else...Put it this way..he sucksQQ

BAM

Thorman:monekyr:

bru87tr
03-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Dave has had a better solo career than most!

Skyscraper is my fav. EEAS is also good. along with ALAE and DLR.

those 4 alone prove daves solo work. he had a better solo career than sammy no doubt. 3 platinum records, a platinum Video, a gold record and ALAE I am sure 15 years after going gold would be close to platinum by now also.

DrMaddVibe
03-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Dave was finally able to do what Dave wanted to do and I have and always will support his work.

Loons The Great
03-18-2006, 11:13 AM

'Nuff said.

trueblue
04-09-2006, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by UGS

Hi UGS,

First up, a clear-cut answer to your simple question: I absolutely seriously feel that Dave's solo career after exiting VH, was overall a hugely impressive one for mulitiple reasons....He showed guts in taking artistic risks, stretched out musically--which is plainly down to Dave's diverse musical passions and influences and while he clearly didn't always deliver a knockout punch going solo, all his solo efforts were good-to-great for an overwhelming majority of his fans(myself included)....

You make the obvious comparison to CVH..I reckon CVH was in a far-out league of its own, just peerless in my book...No other rock group, let alone solo superstars, came remotely close to matching the unrivalled brilliance of CVH..And we are on identical chords in that most of DLR solo wasn't nearly on par with pure CVH or what that platinum music will forever mean to most of us..But hey, DLR solo wasn't "the next best thing to CVH"...I never felt that Dave was ever desperately trying to recreate some CVH clone band during his solo years..so the 'next best thing' is a totally false argument ..DLR solo has to be judged on its own merits..I feel the solo albums were of varying quality and it felt like a bumpy ride for me...You are onto something when u compare what is widely regarded as CVH's best--FW with DLR solo's best---EEAS...I like FW a whole lot better, but your "pisses circles around EEAS" is stretching critical comment to breaking point...If that's how you would have it mate, then i'd argue, DLR Band album does the same pissing around Diver Down...and 1984 was an over-rated last hurrah for CVH...I revere the first four of the CVH so-called 6-pack..but DLR Band and EEAS edge out Diver Down and 1984 in my book...I have torn confused feelings about YFLM, Diamond Dave and SS...ALAE was a hit for me....so yea, CVH is overall 'untouchable', but DLR solo is differently fantastic...

And hey, since u bring up Van Hagar, need i say that it's beyond doubt who needs who more...Dave at least had the services of some hugely talented guitarists that helped him make some great records on his own...And Eddie flushed his guitar heroism down the neighbourhood drains, by spending the next dozen years after the demise of CVH, churning out unforgivable drivel with that fat pig-poodle Sammy and an embarrassing, one-off ranter G.Cherone...Dave was at his primal peak with CVH, no doubt, but his solo career deserves far more credit than you are willing to give it right now...I am making a silent bet that you are gonna change your mind someday
soon...thanks for starting a great thread..

trueblue
04-09-2006, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by UGS

You sound like my soulmate now UGS...I agree with you totally about the Dave-Eddie chemistry...This stupendous chemistry is something i could really feel creep under my skin and send chills down my spine, each and every time i ever listened to a CVH album...And you are spot-on about how it can't be equalled, let alone surpassed in terms of sheer in-your-face greatness..

trueblue
04-09-2006, 07:55 AM

Every great solo singer needs and absolutely deserves a Band that could do him justice on record...You make a great, yet obvious point about how "The Lesser the musicians behind him the more the music suffered...as for ANY solo Singer......." Fans only need to go back and analyze how YFLM panned out to realize how a lame, lousy band was one factor behind that album's dud results...Dave was always smart and lucky enough to surround himself with hot , commited musicians around him, especially the guitarists that served him so great and made most of his solo albums so brilliant overall...

Funny you mention Robert Plant....I felt Robbie constanty hooked up with mediocre roadies, and star-struck tyros lacking real talent or ambition who just followed what the boss, i.e. Plant fancied....Besides, Plant's solo career was in my opinion, almost purely driven by his own often ridiculously tacky and weird tastes and the muscial direction he was headed....So I am mostly turned off by his crappy solo career...Here, the blame for the "music suffering as a result" is as much on Plant himself as on his many backup bands...wat's your take on the "Mighty Rearranger" mate???

trueblue
04-09-2006, 07:59 AM

Every great solo singer needs and absolutely deserves a Band that could do him justice on record...You make a great, yet obvious point about how "The Lesser the musicians behind him the more the music suffered...as for ANY solo Singer......." Fans only need to go back and analyze how YFLM panned out to realize how a lame, lousy band was one factor behind that album's dud results...Dave was always smart and lucky enough to surround himself with hot , commited musicians around him, especially the guitarists that served him so great and made most of his solo albums so brilliant overall...

Funny you mention Robert Plant....I felt Robbie constanty hooked up with mediocre roadies, and star-struck tyros lacking real talent or ambition who just followed what the boss, i.e. Plant fancied....Besides, Plant's solo career was in my opinion, almost purely driven by his own often ridiculously tacky and weird tastes and the muscial direction he was headed....So I am mostly turned off by his crappy solo career...Here, the blame for the "music suffering as a result" is as much on Plant himself as on his many backup bands...wat's your take on the "Mighty Rearranger" mate???

trueblue
04-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Dave was finally able to do what Dave wanted to do and I have and always will support his work.

Your comment makes me think up one of the many heavy ironies surrounding CVH and the follow-up years...So much has been written and said after Dave walked away in 1985. All the bloody-minded critics and scroungers hanging on any little crumb coming their way, constantly made it appear as if Dave was the arrogant stuck-up spoiler...I still remember reading quotes about how Dave 'was holding back Eddie', 'refusing to expand the band's horizons', and how Eddie was finally able to "do his own thing" and "what was best for the band" after Dave quit and Sammy came on board.....Sure Eddie could now freely make candy-floss pop rock with Sammy if that's what he always really aspired to do..But Dave's solo career proved that he was the one who was more liberated by exiting after those bad-blood latter years with VH....So cheers for your comment...I agree with you the whole street....

DeadOrAlive
04-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Do i like it? I LOVE IT DUDE. It's pure and raw Dave, the man we all love. Plus the music kicks ass too

jacksmar
04-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Dave is the best frontman with or without Eddie.
Dave's music still plays better than anything on the radio or digital music.

SNIPER
04-14-2006, 05:22 PM
I thought ALAE, YFLM, & DLR Band albums were his best work by far. I love the first two ofcourse but to me Dave was just starting to get it down at the end. Why did he stop putting out these killer albums? They were just getting better....I think its quality shit and Dave has a few huge albums in him still. And I do believe we will get a product from Dave long before Van Pussys put anything out. I also think Dave will go double platnum again.

DavidLeeNatra
04-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by SNIPER
I thought ALAE, YFLM, & DLR Band albums were his best work by far. I love the first two ofcourse but to me Dave was just starting to get it down at the end. Why did he stop putting out these killer albums? They were just getting better....I think its quality shit and Dave has a few huge albums in him still. And I do believe we will get a product from Dave long before Van Pussys put anything out. I also think Dave will go double platnum again.

dave was getting tired of putting together a supergroup after the "jason becker"-tragedy. maybe that was the biggest mistake in his career...dave needs great company, somebody to fight with in a creative way...the fire is there...it's fantastic to hear him talk about music on the radio...

I also think dave could be a killer producer for young bands. but for many reasons dave will never go platinum again...it's like a curse, that's how I see it...he had it ALL but he won't get it BACK....

fe_lung
04-14-2006, 07:15 PM
I think that as a solo artist Dave has been free to experiment a hell of a lot more than he could with VH. Just look at the range of sounds he has put out - rock, blues, big band swing, country, pop just to name a few - it's just way more experimental than ANY era of VH. No two albums have been the same.

The moment you stray from the tried and true your work becomes hit and miss with your audience. At any given moment some will get what you're doing - some won't, but that is what makes Dave an artist as opposed to a craftsman. An artist seeks out new ways of expressing himself (trying different mediums, different styles, techniques, etc). A craftsman makes a specialized product (he can make red vases, blue vases, red and blue vases, even brown vases. They all may be fantastic vases but they're still vases).

If you don't like one of Dave's albums chances are what you're responding to is the STYLE of material as opposed to the material itself.

Or I may be full of crap.....

DeadOrAlive
04-15-2006, 03:24 AM
Your Filthy Little Mouth is quite a colletion... And the supergroups always create a recipe for disaster, whether it's physical, emotional, or economical.

DavidLeeNatra
04-15-2006, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
Your Filthy Little Mouth is quite a colletion... And the supergroups always create a recipe for disaster, whether it's physical, emotional, or economical.

eat em and smile band was a "supergroup" without any famous names (except dave) in it just because of the musical power...

DeadOrAlive
04-16-2006, 05:17 AM
Ohhh alright. Because I know Steve Vai is considered a "Guitar Virtuoso" and Billy Sheehan is a superior bassist. My bad man

guwapo_rocker
04-16-2006, 09:00 AM
I really like EEAS, Skyscraper and ALAE.

Like Matt said, even great singers need a great band.
What would Freddie Mercury have sounded like fronting the Cars?

Big Troubles
04-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by jacksmar
Dave is the best frontman with or without Eddie.
Dave's music still plays better than anything on the radio or digital music.

Yeah.... what he said. :)

DeadOrAlive
04-17-2006, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
I really like EEAS, Skyscraper and ALAE.

Like Matt said, even great singers need a great band.
What would Freddie Mercury have sounded like fronting the Cars?

HAHAHA oh wow that'd sound like shit. Now I'm curious to how the band would have turned out...