PDA

View Full Version : Jim Morrison: Life, Death, Legend

Terry
02-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Picked up this book at a discount dealer today. Was aware it had came out a year or so ago, but couldn't be bothered with it, since I had read so much about Jimbo anyway, and really haven't been interested in much of the non-musical side of the Doors in a number of years.

Anyway, was written by Stephen Davis, who wrote Hammer of the Gods all those years ago, and I remembered enjoying that book quite a bit back in the day, so gave it a shot.

Turns out Davis believes Jimbo overdosed on Pam's heroin, and she scored it from the Count, who was also supposedly the same guy who sold Janis Joplin her last batch of smack that ended up killing her. Davis also floats some rumors that Morrison had a penchant for gay sex and payed his lawyer to hire legbreakers to suppress attempts by his male friends to blackmail him.

The book also casts doubts on a lot of Patricia Kinnealy's claims about the intensity of her involvement with Morrison (she was the woman who claimed she was married to Jim in a Wiccan ceremony and aborted a child she claimed was Jim's).

Did a pretty good job of humanizing Morrison, and does a better service to him than stuff like No One Here Gets Out Alive and Stone's The Doors movie, IMO, which just make him come off like an obnoxious, drunken asshole overall. No doubt he had those traits, but I never thought that was the sum total of his makeup.

Always enjoyed about 50% of what Morrison wrote in the Lords and the New Creatures (the other 50% I consider sophmoric gibberish...but that's always been part of the appeal of Morrison to me; his erratic nature. Sometimes it's just pure garbage then phrases of pure, inventive genius knock you over). Not so much the Wilderness and American Night poetry books, though. Particularly American Night, which has some of his Paris writings in it and are just very depressing (I Wish Clean Death Would Come To Me).

Anyway, if you dig the Doors or Morrison, and think you've read it all, check out what Davis has written. Think it's definitely worth a look.

POJO_Risin
02-12-2006, 08:22 PM
I actually haven't picked this up. I've been around the block with Morrison...been to his grave...his hometown...harassed his sister when she lived in Pittsburgh (she may still)...

I've always looked at every biography with slanted eyes...knowing that the writers were just trying to jump on him for a few more bucks...

I've heard rumblings about this book, and Morrison being bi...but it's nothing I haven't heard before...especially when the Rimbaud stuff came out...

What do I think of Morrison after all these years?

I wish the fuck I could have seen him once...

and I wish the fuck I could have partied with him once...

I'll pick it up...haven't read a Morrison bio in awhile...may pick a few other up again as well...

Terry
02-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah, saw the grave about twenty years ago when I was in France as well. And would've liked to have seen him live as well.

Really wasn't all that bad a read, Poj. I think the spate of books that followed in the half-decade after Stone's movie came out are definitely guilty of flogging a dead horse, but so much time has passed since then that it's hard to say Davis was only looking to make money off of it. If anything, he was attempting to puncture some of the myths surrounding Morrison...as to if what he wrote was true or not one can never say with certainty, but he gets points for not simply rehashing everything that came before it.

I think this along with the Doors Illustrated biography are probably two of the finer attempts at just laying out what was there and letting the reader judge.

Terry
02-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Well, no, scratch that.

Best things for just laying out what Morrison did "as is" will be the music and the poetry, period. All the books have some axe to grind...

...Actually, one of the books about Jim I enjoyed the most was John Densmore's Riders On The Storm.

The Davis book was interesting, but isn't like THE definitive last word on Mojo or anything.

BITEYOASS
02-13-2006, 01:12 AM
Sounds like another bullshit rumor book to me. If you want some real truth to the matter, then read the poetic works of Jim Morrison that were co-authored by Frank Lusciandro and figure it out on your own.

Shaun Ponsonby
02-13-2006, 01:14 PM
I've actually read this book twice, its a very interesting and entertaining read (and caught the eyes of my VI Form history teacher). He doesn't say he overdosed on Pam's like it is fact, he says it more in the way of an opinion.

Hardrock69
02-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Dead Doors vocalist by the side of the road......

http://www.findagrave.com/photos/2001/222/morrisonj.jpg

Terry
02-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Yeah, having read it a little more carefully, it does kinda ape No One Here Gets Out Alive quite a bit.

Probably not as essential as I thought after skimming. It does flesh out what Morrison was up to in Paris a bit more, but Davis could've done better. Outside of the bi allegations, there's really little in the book that's new.

Still, not bad for a discount book.

Loons The Great
02-14-2006, 07:15 PM
I dug a couple of things from this a here book nah:

Davis claimed that:

Elvis's combat spandex from the '68 Comeback Special were inspired by Jim Morrison.

Jim was a big fan of Pink Floyd and also the tune,"Mr. Soul."

Jim had an affair with one of Meyer Lansky's mistresses during the Miami trial.

Jim gave John Kay the idea to name his band,"Steppenwolf."

Sometime around the Miami trial, the band went to see Elvis live and it was like a papal visit.

Sinatra thought Morrison stole alot from him on the tune,"Light My Fire," and said that maybe,"that kid should have an accident."

PHOENIX
02-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Very cool tidbits in this thread.

That fucking marker graffiti though i see on his grave is just plain direspectful.