PDA

View Full Version : Cheney Now Claims Authority to Declassify Information

LoungeMachine
02-16-2006, 02:04 AM
Associated Press
Update 1: Cheney Says He Has OK to Declassify Info
By PETE YOST , 02.15.2006, 09:16 PM

Vice President Dick Cheney disclosed Wednesday that he has the power to declassify sensitive government information, authority that could set up a criminal defense for his former chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby.

Cheney's disclosure comes a week after reports that Libby testified under oath he was authorized by superiors in 2003 to disclose highly sensitive prewar information to reporters. The information, about Iraq and alleged weapons of mass destruction, was used by the Bush administration to bolster its case for invading Iraq.

At the time of Libby's contacts with reporters in June and July 2003, the administration including Cheney, who was among the war's most ardent proponents, faced growing criticism. No weapons of mass destruction had been found in Iraq, and Bush supporters were anxious to show that the White House had relied on prewar intelligence projecting a strong threat from such weapons.

When Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald revealed Libby's assertions to a grand jury that he had been authorized by his superiors to spread sensitive information, the prosecutor did not specify which superiors.

But in an interview on Fox News Channel, Cheney said there is an executive order that gives the vice president, along with the president, the authority to declassify information.

"I have certainly advocated declassification. I have participated in declassification decisions," Cheney said, while refusing to elaborate.

A legal expert said Cheney's TV appearance could foreshadow a Libby defense.

Former Whitewater independent counsel Robert Ray said Cheney's ex-chief of staff could point to authorization from his superiors as part of his strategy at trial.

"If it turns out that Cheney was actively involved in decisions related to the disclosure of a CIA officer's identity and if the truth of it is that he was orchestrating the disclosure of information to the media, it seems to me that's a fundamentally different case than one centered around the activities of Libby," said Ray.

On Oct. 28 of last year, Libby was indicted on five counts of perjury, obstruction and lying to the FBI about how he learned of the identity of undercover CIA officer Valerie Plame's identity and what he told reporters about it.

In July 2003, Plame's CIA identity was published by columnist Robert Novak eight days after Plame's husband, former U.S. Ambassador Joseph Wilson, accused the administration of twisting intelligence about whether Iraq sought to buy uranium in Niger.

A defense that Libby was authorized by superiors to leak sensitive data about Iraq would not appear to provide any help to the former Cheney aide for making false statements.

But some lawyers point out that setting up defenses before a jury involves more than simply constructing legal arguments.

"You're trying to present a persuasive case that your client should not be found guilty," said Ray, the former Whitewater prosecutor. "You're saying that even if my client did it, this is not a case that warrants conviction."

An authorization defense in the CIA leak case would mean that "much of what Libby was trying to do was aid and protect his boss Cheney," Ray suggested. The downside to employing such a approach is that it "almost comes with a defense that I did it."

FORD
02-16-2006, 02:31 AM
Hey, the guy just got away with shooting a man in the face. Now he thinks he's untouchable

bueno bob
02-16-2006, 06:41 AM
Well, this is spectacular news. When do we elect him and Bush King and Queen?

Dr. Love
02-16-2006, 09:09 AM
I need to try this whole 'making shit up' thing.

Nickdfresh
02-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Pete YOST is a repected reporter, I highly doubt he "made this up."

Hardrock69
02-16-2006, 09:55 AM
No...Cheney is making shit up.

SO if you can make up enough shit, you can get elected president? Sounds about right....

Warham
02-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Does he work for the NY Times?

Nickdfresh
02-16-2006, 03:55 PM
No...

Warham
02-16-2006, 04:13 PM
LA Times?

Hardrock69
02-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Why do you waste your crude intellect asking such dumb fucking questions?

Just do a Google if you are so hellbent on discovering where he works.

Warham
02-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Washington Times?

LoungeMachine
02-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Hey, Warpig, you fat dumbass....

The quotes actually come from FAUX KNEWS AND BRIT HUME DIRECTLY

Fucking moron

Get your news anywhere other than Rash Limbaugh, the drug addict??

LoungeMachine
02-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

"I have certainly advocated declassification. I have participated in declassification decisions," Cheney said, while refusing to elaborate.

A legal expert said Cheney's TV appearance could foreshadow a Libby defense.

TV APPEARANCE WARPIG.....

DID YOU BOTHER TO READ?

DID CHENEY HAVE THE BALLS TO SPEAK ON TV TO ANYONE OTHER THAN BRIT HUME?

:rolleyes:

Fucking idiot

blueturk
02-16-2006, 06:57 PM
TV APPEARANCE WARPIG.....

DID YOU BOTHER TO READ?

DID CHENEY HAVE THE BALLS TO SPEAK ON TV TO ANYONE OTHER THAN BRIT HUME?

:rolleyes:

Fucking idiot

Don't bother Warham. He's in denial.

Warham
02-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Hey, Warpig, you fat dumbass....

The quotes actually come from FAUX KNEWS AND BRIT HUME DIRECTLY

Fucking moron

Get your news anywhere other than Rash Limbaugh, the drug addict??

I don't watch much FOX news.

I watch CNN so I can get a handle on what liberals think on a daily basis.

ODShowtime
02-16-2006, 07:43 PM
But in an interview on Fox News Channel, Cheney said there is an executive order that gives the vice president, along with the president, the authority to declassify information.

Oh yeah, Cheney's all about declassifying information. That's his gig man!

Dr. Love
02-16-2006, 07:46 PM

I meant Cheney.

FORD
02-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I don't watch much FOX news.

I watch CNN so I can get a handle on what liberals think on a daily basis.

Then you're wasting your time. There hasn't been a liberal on CNN in years.

LoungeMachine
02-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Not get back on topic or anything but.............

THE VEEP NOW CLAIMS AUTHORITY TO DECLASSIFY INFORMATION???

HELLO???

LIBBY DEFENSE?????

boy, u stupid
02-16-2006, 08:35 PM
I was a fucking accident, let it the fuck go already assholes. Fucking whiners!

LoungeMachine
02-16-2006, 08:37 PM
No one gives a shit what you say, joey you boyfucking piece of shit.

Wrong thread too, asshole.

Can't joey read?

4moreyears
02-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by boy, u stupid
I was a fucking accident, let it the fuck go already assholes. Fucking whiners!

Good to see Ford in edit mode again. It would have been nice to read what this originally said.

Nickdfresh
02-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by 4moreyears
Good to see Ford in edit mode again. It would have been nice to read what this originally said.

Oh the humanity! I missed the actual contents of a Joe Thunder post!

bueno bob
02-19-2006, 03:30 AM
Oh the humanity! I missed the actual contents of a Joe Thunder post!

What will this world come to?...