PDA

View Full Version : Hackett Ohio fiasco rocks Dems

Warham
02-17-2006, 01:18 PM
WASHINGTON, DC, United States (UPI) -- Paul Hackett`s angry decision to withdraw from the Senate race in Ohio is a devastating blow for the Democratic Party and may even have profound long-term repercussions on American politics.

It opens the door to the very real possibility that opposition to the war, and to any possible conflict with Iran, will focus on a new Third Party populist movement that could reach the scale of the H. Ross Perot movement in the 1990s but be far more passionate. And that could cripple the Democrats` hopes, and even expectations of regaining the White House in 2008.

It must have seemed like business as usual for the liberal national political establishment of the Democratic Party when they relentlessly built up the pressure for Hackett to withdraw from the race to clear the way for their own favorite, Rep. Sherrold Brown of Ohio in the contest to choose a candidate to run against incumbent Sen. Mike DeWine, R-Ohio.

Brown has been the subject of an increasing number of fawning profiles in the national U.S. press penned by liberal democratic loyalists. And party heavyweights like Sen. Charles Schumer of New York, a close ally of his fellow New York Democratic senator Hillary Clinton, and Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Ill., chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, on Sunday turned on the direct pressure urging Hackett, a political neophyte and a lieutenant colonel in the Marine Reserves, to withdraw for the supposedly 'stronger' candidate.

And in the time-honored tradition of politics as usual Hackett was offered all the usual carrots and sweeteners for falling on his sword. Emmanuel urged him to run again for Schmidt`s House seat in the Second District instead.

But Hackett was no politics as usual kind of guy. He pulled out of the race all right -- but in an angry statement -- that blasted his many opponents within the Democratic national establishment for undermining his candidacy. 'At the end of the day, my word is my bond and I will take it to my grave,' he said.

The impact of Hackett`s withdrawal is obvious. He may have been a newcomer to the political scene, but he had enormous popularity and potential: He came from nowhere to run Republican Rep. Jean Schmidt a very close second entirely unexpectedly in the race for her House seat. His strong showing confirmed the strength and potential in Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean`s strategy of trying to harness popular anger and frustration about the continuing war in Iraq for the Democratic Party by running Iraq War vets like Hackett in House races around the country.

But far beyond that, Hackett`s remarkable strong showing against Schmidt and his evident charisma and popularity in the campaign trail gave the Democratic Party the prospect of getting back on the political map in Ohio, the crucial swing state in the most crucial swing political region in the nation.

Hackett was clearly the most popular and strongest candidate the Dems had for taking the open Ohio Senate seat in the November 2006 midterm election. Ohio was the vital swing state that decided the 2004 presidential election and remains essential win territory for a Democratic Party now almost totally shut out of the Republican Solid South.

But Hackett was too successful in breaking the traditional mold of Democratic campaign politics. Despite two humiliating defeats in national presidential elections they had every opportunity to win, and despite six sweeping national defeats in contests for the House of Representatives, the old Democratic liberal establishment showed in its treatment of Hackett that, like the Bourbon kings of France 200 years ago, it had learned nothing and forgotten nothing.

It appears also that the party`s ruling elders once again completely failed to appreciate the strength of popular feeling in Ohio and around the country about the Iraq war and the hunger for them to run fresh blood with new things to say and do.

Political blogs across the nation are red hot with debate over Hackett`s withdrawal.

'Democrats are shooting their own,' Dave Lindorff wrote in International Labor Communications Association Online Tuesday. '... The Democratic Party`s killing off of progressive congressional candidate sis something worse than treacherous: suicide.'

Lindorff also noted, 'Party leaders, including Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., recently pressured Cindy Sheehan (the anti Iraq War activist whose son was killed serving in the conflict) not to mount a primary campaign against California Sen. Diane Feinstein.'

Lindorff alleged, 'For months, the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee chair Sen. Schumer, have been working behind the scenes to undermine Hackett`s campaign in favor of Rep. ... Brown.'

And Phil Ewing wrote in the Post Online student newspaper in Athens, Ohio Wednesday, 'Not only have Democrats guaranteed another term for incumbent Sen. ... De Wine ... they`ve extinguished one of the brightest new stars in their party`s constellation.'

Hackett came from the traditionally Republican southwest region of Ohio and Ewing concluded that his departure from the race in such contentious circumstances 'probably will mean a fatally poor showing in the powerful new suburban metroplex along I-75 between Cincinnati and Dayton '

The Hackett fiasco may well doom the Democrats to losing the Senate race in Ohio this November. But it also highlights the broader pattern of the party`s liberal Old Guard refusing to open its doors to the new generation of angry patriots like Hackett and Sheehan who had offered their services to it. Far from benefiting from anger against the Iraq war and other policies of the Bush administration, the national Democrats may be fated to become targets for it. If that happens, their many critics will certainly say they have no one to blame but themselves.

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/northamerica/article_1130385.php/Hackett_Ohio_fiasco_rocks_Dems?page=1

Nickdfresh
02-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Dupe thread...

Been covered... (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33155)

You even posted in it...:rolleyes:

Warham
02-17-2006, 01:23 PM
It needs to be discussed some more.

It's a developing story.

I'm tired of reading ten threads about Cheney's accidental shooting.

And every Iraq story you post could go in one thread as well.

Nickdfresh
02-17-2006, 01:25 PM
So post in the other thread...

Are you gonna' cry if FORD closes it?

Warham
02-17-2006, 01:28 PM
How about I post in both threads?

EAT MY ASSHOLE
02-17-2006, 03:50 PM
This guy is a loose cannon. No, I'm not talking about NIKKI girl here, I'm talking about Hackett.

He made his platform by being outspoken against the "abuses" of Bush and the war. Now he can't shut up about what a bunch of dicks the Democrats are.

This guy makes Howard Dean look like the Prozac Poster Boy, and Zell Miller like the even-tempered rational national salesman of Chamomille Tea. The Dems are well to be rid of him.

I bet he could give NIKKI a run for his money in the ass-eating stakes, though....

Nickdfresh
02-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
This guy is a loose cannon.

Sounds like you're gay for him too...

Warham
02-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Dingy Harry betrayed Paul Hackett.

How are these guys ever going to win a national election when they are stabbing each other in the back?

Nickdfresh
02-17-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Warham

How are these guys ever going to win a national election when they are stabbing each other in the back?

Oh, yeah, REPUBLICANS never back-stab each other...

I guess your forgetting the ROVian hatchet job on McCAIN in 2000?

EAT MY ASSHOLE
02-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Sounds like you're gay for him too...

Soooooomebody sounds jealous...

you are sooo precious, Nikki darlin'....

Originally posted by Warham

But, humor aside, you're right. This is proof that the dems are even bigger backstabers than the right. At least the right adopt a party line and stick to it. Sure, the whole NSA thing and Plame-Gate are fucked up, but ALL the republicans are right in line and have got each others backs. Dems? They're all a bunch of backstabbers, Hillary being the worst of them.

It's not easy being me. I hate liberals, but they are undoubtedly the most enthusiastic, experienced ass-eaters out there.

Right, Nikki?

Then again, I've heard things about Karl Rove....

EAT MY ASSHOLE
02-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Oh, yeah, REPUBLICANS never back-stab each other...

I guess your forgetting the ROVian hatchet job on McCAIN in 2000?

Oh, please, McCain is a Republican like you're heterosexual.

As in....NOT.

Nickdfresh
02-17-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm all for getting my ass licked, anytime, anywhere. i don't discrimate. If I did, would never let you get near my prized cheeks, right, you toothless, scraggly bearded homeless liberal fag, you...

So go rape your little bother again cousin-fucker...

But, humor aside, you're right. This is proof that the dems are even bigger backstabers than the right. At least the right adopt a party line and stick to it. Sure, the whole NSA thing and Plame-Gate are fucked up, but ALL the republicans are right in line and have got each others backs. Dems? They're all a bunch of backstabbers, Hillary being the worst of them.

Actually, you haven't a fucking clue as too which you speak...

You mean that the religious right isn't attacking moderate Republicans and vice-versa...

But I sure that plenty of guys have your backside though...:)

It's not easy being me. I hate liberals, but they are undoubtedly the most enthusiastic, experienced ass-eaters out there.

Right, Nikki?

Then again, I've heard things about Karl Rove....

Still fixated on "ass-eating," huh fag-poker?

Yeah, everyone else is gay.;)

EAT MY ASSHOLE
02-17-2006, 04:15 PM

But I sure that plenty of guys have your backside though...:)

Well said.

How's that grad school diploma working out for you?

BTW, there's no such thing as moderate republicans. Those are just democrats in disguise who want to be on the winning team...

Nickdfresh
02-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Well said.

How's that grad school diploma working out for you?

I don't have one, so I guess it's not.:)

How's that middle age thing working out for you?

I have taken a few psyche courses though, and dude, you're a mess.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
02-17-2006, 04:20 PM
I don't have one, so I guess it's not.:)

How's that middle age thing working out for you?

I have taken a few psyche courses though, and dude, you're a mess.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...just keep licking, Nikki girl. It's the only reaosn I put up with your incessant whining.

Nickdfresh
02-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...I just keep licking Nikk Carters balls. It's the only reaosn I put up with his incessant whining is he gives me a reach around.

FORD
02-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Since this is a dupe thread AND troll infested, I'm closing it.

And Chuck Schumer is a fucking DLC dickweed