PDA

View Full Version : Why couldn't WB make a DECENT "Best of" Van Halen collection?

FORD
02-18-2006, 03:48 AM
Here's the Best of Van Halen: FORD Country edition - the way it should have been done

Volume 1

1) House of Pain
2) Runnin With The Devil
(from the Zero Demos)
3) Eruption
4) I'm The One
5) Ice Cream Man
(from Van Halen 1)
6) Dance The Night Away
7) DOA
(from Van Halen II)
8) And The Cradle Will Rock
9) Romeo Delight
10) Take Your Whiskey Home
(from WACF)
11) Hear About It Later
12) Unchained
13) So This Is Love
(from Fair Warning
13) Cathedral
14) Secrets
15) Intruder/Pretty Woman
16) Little Guitars
(from Diver Down)
17) Panama
18) Drop Dead Legs
19) Hot For Teacher
(from 1984)
20 Me Wise Magic
(from 1996)

Now tell me that doesn't absolutely destroy both of those shitty Warner compilations.

FORD
02-18-2006, 04:07 AM
And now for Volume II

1) On Fire
2) Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love
3) Jamie's Cryin'
4) Little Dreamer
(from Van Halen I)
5) Somebody Get Me A Doctor
6) Bottom's Up
7) Beautiful Girls
(from Van Halen II)
8) Everybody Wants Some
9) Could This Be Magic
10) In A Simple Rhyme
(from WACF)
11) Mean Street
12) Sinner's Swing
13) Push Comes To Shove
(from Fair Warning)
14) Where Have All The Good Times Gone?
15) Hang Em High
16) Full Bug
(from Diver Down)
17) 1984/Jump
18) Top Jimmy
19) Girl Gone Bad
(from 1984)
20) Can't Get This Stuff No More
(from 1996)

Geezus, Warner Brothers probably paid someone millions of dollars to come up with their shitty compilations. I did mine just for the Hell of it - and because it's easier than packing 7 CD's for a road trip.

I also "remastered" these tracks even before WB did, so there.

Too bad you can't buy these compilations anywhere. But if you own all the originals, I allow fair use licensing of my format, so burn your own. And fuck the RIAA!

bueno bob
02-18-2006, 04:43 AM
AMEN!

Actually, I've made my own "Greatest Hits" selections from the CVH era, also...

CD #1:

01. Eruption
02. On Fire
03. Dance the Night Away
04. Everybody Wants Some
05. Runnin with the Devil
06. Somebody Get Me a Doctor
07. Unchained
08. Hot for Teacher
09. Light Up the Sky
10. Can't Get This Stuff No More
11. You Really Got Me
12. Little Guitars
13. Romeo Delight
14. Hang 'em High
15. Mean Street
16. Girl Gone Bad
17. Jamie's Cryin
18. You're No Good
19. In a Simple Rhyme

CD #2:

01. Cathedral
02. Hear About it Later
03. Me Wise Magic
04. Take Your Whiskey Home
05. So This is Love?
06. Intruder/Pretty Woman
07. Panama
08. Ain't Talkin Bout Love
09. And the Cradle Will Rock
10. Dancing in the Street
11. Drop Dead Legs
12. I'm the One
13. Beautiful Girls
14. Let's Get Rockin' (not official WB, of course, but I love it...)
15. House of Pain
16. Ice Cream Man
17. Jump
18. Sunday Afternoon/One Foot Out the Door

.......thing is, I always keep burning new ones in different orders...this is what I've got right now...

RuzDNailz
02-18-2006, 05:32 AM
Not to mention some good CD covers featuring some great moments on the road or studio with the CVH line-up. If a reunion were to happen, it would be perfect. In my MP3 player, I always keep a healthy supply of CVH with some DLR songs thrown in for good measure. I own all the originals and keep them in best condition I can.

vheddyrmv8
02-18-2006, 04:42 PM
I just decided to make a best of as well it goes like this...

VH1-1984 plus bonus unreleased tracks.

Unchainme
02-18-2006, 07:31 PM
If Van Halen were to do it right they should've done it thte style U2 did it. They had Two Seperate Discs, One For The 1980-1990 era, The other 1990-2000 era, Both had about 30 songs seperated onto two discs for two eras, So you have about 60 songs total, Including remixes and rarities. Plus 2 Exclusive DVD's of their Music Videos from those Eras.

Below are the CD's and links to the playlists.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00000DFVF.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000DFVF/sr=8-2/qid=1140308459/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-6008554-0183806?%5Fencoding=UTF8

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00006LU5V.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006LU5V/qid=1140308786/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/103-6008554-0183806?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

now can you imagine had Van Halen done something along those lines. Release a 1978-1984 Greatest Hits CD 30 tracks with a Special Edition DVD. And then Release a 1986-1998 CD, with 30 tracks (Including MWM, and CGTSNM because No One would buy it if not for those tracks.). And there ya go Van Halen How its supposed to be enjoyed.

FORD
02-19-2006, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme

now can you imagine had Van Halen done something along those lines. Release a 1978-1984 Greatest Hits CD 30 tracks with a Special Edition DVD. And then Release a 1986-1998 CD, with 30 tracks (Including MWM, and CGTSNM because No One would buy it if not for those tracks.). And there ya go Van Halen How its supposed to be enjoyed.

I was with you until the ending there. I have no problem with the Van Hagar material being released on a seperate disc. But to put MWM and CGTSNM on a Van Hagar album would be blasphemous as Hell.

If I was going to spend 2 minutes effort coming up with a Van Hagar "best of" disc - or at least "not worst of", I could come up with one disc worth of material that's as light on the cheese as humanly possible. But still not worth paying for again.

And U2's complilation kinda pissed me off. I bought it primarily for the B-Sides disc that was included in the first pressing, but some of the rarest singles and or B-sides weren't included. Try finding a copy of "A Celebration" now days.... on vinyl OR on CD.

Unfortunately, it was easier back in the vinyl days. I could find the early U2 singles that were only released in Ireland without much trouble.

bueno bob
02-19-2006, 04:07 AM
I'm continually amazed that Ed went to all the trouble of buying everything that wasn't already nailed down back in...what was it, 2001?...

Otherwise, by now...the Rhino label would have MORE than compensated us, I'm sure...

Unchainme
02-20-2006, 09:41 PM
http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/showthread.php?t=30487

I made a thread about this over at The Linx while the site was down. Posted what I thought It should've look liked.

Terry
02-28-2006, 04:42 PM
BOBW had so many similar tracks to BOV1 that it was pointless putting that shit out.

Have to think the only reason it did come out is so Van Hagar could release the three new Sam Halen tracks and have an excuse to hit the road in 2004.

An ultimate Van Halen box set, to me, is gonna have plenty of previously unreleased studio demos, live tracks and a video companion that hasn't been put out before (sticking shit from LWAN and RHRN isn't gonna cut it).

A decent box set ISN'T going to be just re-releasing previously released studio tracks with one or two token unreleased cuts thrown on at the end to get hardcore fans to buy the rest of the box set they probably already own. THAT is a record company as much as giving the consumer the finger.

Terry
02-28-2006, 04:46 PM
And putting out a Van Halen box set has the burden of trying to please what really are at least two different sets of fans (am not including the contingent that thinks anything put out under the name Van Halen was great).

A way to show respect to fans of all eras is to keep the eras apart on any box set, so that whoever digs CVH doesn't have to shell out money to buy Van Hagar shit.

In fact, just make the Van Halen box set ALL CVH. The sheep would buy it just as quickly as they'd buy anything else...with a CVH box set, you won't lose any money. With a mixed-era set, you're gonna get a certain amount of people who won't buy it because Red Tubs is singing.

fe_lung
02-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by FORD

And U2's complilation kinda pissed me off. I bought it primarily for the B-Sides disc that was included in the first pressing, but some of the rarest singles and or B-sides weren't included. Try finding a copy of "A Celebration" now days.... on vinyl OR on CD.

Unfortunately, it was easier back in the vinyl days. I could find the early U2 singles that were only released in Ireland without much trouble.

Dude, ITunes has them in that box set. You can get those for .99 each.

fe_lung
02-28-2006, 05:15 PM
I think two boxed sets are the way to go. Mindas well suck some green out of the Sam fans -

Anyway, a 4 to 6 disk set for each era weighed heavily on rarities as opposed to (they should include at least one complete show).

The other option would be to give each album the same treatment that the 30th Anniversary Born To Run had with a concert DVD, a documentary DVD, and remastered album. And throw in a disk of rarities while I'm dreaming......

Terry
05-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Here's the Best of Van Halen: FORD Country edition - the way it should have been done

Volume 1

1) House of Pain
2) Runnin With The Devil
(from the Zero Demos)
3) Eruption
4) I'm The One
5) Ice Cream Man
(from Van Halen 1)
6) Dance The Night Away
7) DOA
(from Van Halen II)
8) And The Cradle Will Rock
9) Romeo Delight
10) Take Your Whiskey Home
(from WACF)
11) Hear About It Later
12) Unchained
13) So This Is Love
(from Fair Warning
13) Cathedral
14) Secrets
15) Intruder/Pretty Woman
16) Little Guitars
(from Diver Down)
17) Panama
18) Drop Dead Legs
19) Hot For Teacher
(from 1984)
20 Me Wise Magic
(from 1996)

Now tell me that doesn't absolutely destroy both of those shitty Warner compilations.

Wasn't really impressed with either of the Best Of releases, outside of the two new 1996 tracks.

A proper CVH box set with plenty of goodies (audio and video) is LONG overdue.

Many (IMO) far lesser bands have had their back catalog represented far better, in terms of getting rare videos/live tracks/studio stuff (alternate takes, demos, etc.) out there.

And that's really the whole point, or SHOULD be part of the whole point, of putting out a greatest hits release these days; it's the extras that make it special, as opposed to simply repackaging what has already been put out.

binnie
05-25-2007, 04:55 AM
Out of curiosity, how much work is involved in putting a box set together?

I have no idea, but I imagine it's takes a considerable amount of tie and patience.

I think that's the key problem here - will the Sisters and Dave actually be able to get on for long enough to see it's fruition?