PDA

View Full Version : Pennies For Scooter

LoungeMachine
02-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Rumsfeld Changes His Story on Planting Reports

Friends of Scooter Libby Launch Web Site, Want Your Money

By E&P Staff

Published: February 21, 2006 12:40 PM ET

NEW YORK Scooter has come to Web, with the launch of a new site, the Libby Legal Defense Trust.

Dedicated to defending the recently-indicted former top aide to Vice President Dick Cheney, I. Lewis Libby, the site features testimonials and fundraising appeals. Using a credit card, you can quickly contribute anywhere from $50 to $10,000 (or more)--or enroll in a monthly payment plan.

The chairman of the Committee, Ambassador Mel Sembler, writes on the home page that “Scooter's great service to our country has now been cut short, and his good name attacked. A distinguished group of friends, business leaders and former government officials have joined The Libby Legal Defense Trust to help Scooter defray his legal costs from the recent charges. We hope you will join us in supporting this effort.”

Others on the committee include former Rep. Jack Kemp, ex-Senator (now actor) Fred Thompson, former CIA chief James Woolsey, current Cheney spokeswoman Mary Matalin, and Steve Forbes, among others.

Perhaps the highlight of the site (www.scooterlibby.org) is a section that, implicitly blasts the media, called “What You Aren’t Hearing About Scooter Libby.”

Here are a few comments, although some media figures may not be so happy to see reminders that they may have already made up their minds on this case nine months before it goes to trial.

President Bush: “Scooter has worked tirelessly on behalf of the American people and sacrificed much in the service to this country. He served the Vice President and me through extraordinary times in our nation’s history.” (“President’s Remarks on the Resignation of Scooter Libby, Washington, D.C., 10/28/05)

Columnist Cal Thomas: "A jury will be asked to make an interesting choice: Who has more credibility - a top government official, or members of the news media to whom Libby spoke about CIA operative Valerie Plame? Libby is not being tried for 'outing' Plame, but for his statements about her to three journalists, what he said and when he said it. They have one recollection and he has another. For that he faces up to 30 years in prison? Try remembering what you told someone last week. Should you be indicted if your recollection turns out to be different from theirs?" ("Repeal the Independent Counsel Law," by Cal Thomas, 10/31/05)

MSNBC's Tucker Carlson: "Fitzgerald’s original job description was simple: Find out who leaked Valerie Plame’s name, and determine whether that leak was a crime. After two years, he seems to have concluded what was obvious right away: No, the leak was not a crime. Yet he has kept his investigation alive, as independent counsels always do. Meanwhile, people’s lives are being disrupted and in some cases destroyed. What is the justification for this? What else doesn't Pat Fitzgerald know? After two years of investigating the case, he had no idea Woodward was a recipient of the Plame leak...Yet Fitzgerald's ignorance didn't prevent him from accusing Libby - falsely and in public - of undermining this country's security." ("With Newest Revelations, More Questions, 11/17/05)

New York Sun Editorial: “With the end of the tax year approaching, this is the season for many of our readers to write checks to worthy causes, whether they are organizations devoted to policy, education, culture, or religion - or other good works. This year readers of these columns may wish to include the Libby Legal Defense Trust.” (New York Sun, “A Season for Giving,” 12/8/05)

Former Counselor To The Vice President, Mary Matalin: "I defy you or anybody to find anybody in this town who would say that Scooter is anything but impeccably honest and a dedicated public servant who doesn’t need to be in government, yet he’s dedicated many years of his life, despite having a prosperous law practice, to public service, in bio-defense, Homeland Security, State Department, Defense Department, the Vice President... [H]e's scrupulously honest and meticulous." (Fox News' "Hannity and Colmes," 10/28/05)

Fox News Washington Bureau Chief Brit Hume: "I predict that Lewis Scooter Libby, the vice president's former chief of staff, will not be convicted of the charges against him. How that will play out, I don't know. But I don't think the case will turn out to be particularly strong, and I think it will be a further embarrassment to the independent counsel or the special prosecutor. ("Fox News Sunday," December 25, 2005)

White House Correspondent [for Fox News] Carl Cameron: "...The idea that Mr. Libby lied to prosecutors, lied to investigators and lied to the grand jury essentially hinges on the testimony and accounts of a bunch of reporters. And there has been an awful lot of contradictory information about that... Whether reporters are recollecting things legitimately and whether or not that will hold up in court beyond a reasonable doubt of Mr. Libby's guilt is an open one. This is going to be a long, long trial....it's steeped in partisanship." (Fox News, 2/10/06)