PDA

View Full Version : Was Damn Good About Dave's Times With Eddie?



Unchainme
02-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Time rools on
n' that's as it should be
Here and gone
Seems to move so quickly

Man, we was happy
In our restless hearts
It was heaven Right here on earth
Yeah, we were lauthin'
As we reached for the stars
And we had some
For what it was worth

Those were good times
Damn good times
Those were good times
Damn good times

Hey, take a look at this picture,
Can you beliee that was you?
And who's that standin' there in the corner?
Not me!!!
Ahh, the crazy things we used to do
Sure, we was acting like a couple of kids
Good to remember
You know that it is
I still feel it
Like the sun on my skin
Maybe that's better

Cause these are good times
Damn good tiemes
Talkin' about good times
Damn good times

So it's one for the money
But that don't make the show
Count to three and I'll be ready
To follow that road (yes I will)

I see it comin'
Yeah, and this one is outs
We got heaven right here on Earth
Ain't nothin' like it
When you're reachin' for stars
And you grab one
For what it is worth

You can tell 'em
We'll be having good times
Damn good times
I'm talkin' good times (yessir)
Damn good times

I'm really starting to like this song. Do you think it really was about the split up of Van Halen?

Big Troubles
02-22-2006, 09:22 PM
said it before, and I'll say it again. I dont like this song. I think it's one of the weakest efforts by Dave. Sounds hokey and simple and that doesn't gel with Dave for me. (IMO) It's the abc's of poetry and the guitar sounds really "off beat". again just my opinion. But yeah I always looked for hidden meanings in Daves solo work as it pertains to VH. CGTSNM is another example of writing about his time with the band. For "ballads" Id take Angel Eyes or BlackSand.

Big Troubles
02-22-2006, 09:24 PM
so how many times does he say "Good" Damn" Or Times"? anyone?


"Cause these are good times
Damn good times-
Talkin' about good times
Damn good times"...........and so fourth.

PumpedUpMidget
02-22-2006, 09:29 PM
it was the obligatory 'ballad', Dave should not be doing slow songs, his voice suited for 'big' rock

Big Troubles
02-22-2006, 09:39 PM
you realised we will be shot and pissed on by at least 90% of the Roth Community, right? ;)

Big Troubles
02-22-2006, 09:40 PM
but I agree. It's comparable to Jim Carrey doing a serious movie. Sure you're still a JC fan, but you cringe when he cries instead of making stupid silly faces.

jslav06
02-23-2006, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
but I agree. It's comparable to Jim Carrey doing a serious movie. Sure you're still a JC fan, but you cringe when he cries instead of making stupid silly faces.

You are like a wise man. I always cringe when I see Jim Carrey do a serious movie. So I agree.

Redballjets88
02-23-2006, 12:46 AM
i love damn good times its one of my personal favorites and you cant say he isnt good at slower songs look at in a simple rhyme great song

Matt White
02-23-2006, 12:50 AM
I've have been much happier if he'd included the line...

"FUCK YOU EVH"

would have decreased the airplay...but it would have been a SMASH hit......

jslav06
02-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
I've have been much happier if he'd included the line...

"FUCK YOU EVH"

would have decreased the airplay...but it would have been a SMASH hit......

Encore.

Loons The Great
02-23-2006, 09:27 AM
For what is wuz worth...

Shaun Ponsonby
02-23-2006, 10:32 AM
I quite like Damn Good-its different.

You could be right, though. It certainly looks that way.

"So it's one for the money
But that don't make the show
Count to three and I'll be ready
To follow that road (yes I will)"

Big Troubles
02-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
you cant say he isnt good at slower songs look at in a simple rhyme great song


? The best part to that song is when it speeds up. so yes I can. Dave isnt all that good with slow songs. Fuck he'll even tell ya that.

Not only that but that was first recorded in the late 70's then early 1980. Well gee, Dave was good at singing slow stuff 25 years ago, with a group of talent that would make the new pope poop in public.

There are a list of great singers that can sing slow songs and make them sound meaningful. Fred Mercury.Bruce Dickinson. Bono. Even Hagar sings the faggy songs good. (prob because he's a fag)

But Dave's forte is speed. Showtime. Hot Dog and a Shake. 40 below. Big Train. Slam Dunk. ShyBoy. Bottom Line. Baby's on Fire.

Well you get the picture.

Big Troubles
02-23-2006, 08:09 PM
and if you dont get the picture, here it is:

Big Troubles
02-23-2006, 08:09 PM
:D

Big Troubles
02-23-2006, 08:09 PM
and if you dont get the picture. here it is:

jslav06
02-23-2006, 11:51 PM
^^^^^^^^
Awww. They're so cute.

DavidLeeNatra
02-24-2006, 12:24 PM
BT, you fuckhead...I sit in a hotel lobby on a public computer... :D

and damn good is not a slow song...it's bluesy...and dave does the blues great...ask mr. loons...

Big Troubles
02-24-2006, 07:57 PM
LOL I was wondering when I was gonna get in shat for that pic. sorry Natra... you know me. Cant resist. I'll behave.

Loons doesn't know slow from fast anymore. :D

Dave is Dave. Granted anything he does I usualy like. (minus I'll Wait, Blacksand, Damn Good and few others) The guitar work in Damn Good is awful man. The soloing is quite unique, but the strumming is fucked.

Big Troubles
02-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Hey, wait a minute! Natra your avatar has nipples for fuck sakes! LMAO!

(o) (o)

DavidLeeNatra
02-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Hey, wait a minute! Natra your avatar has nipples for fuck sakes! LMAO!

(o) (o)

indeed!!! :D

Loons The Great
02-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
LOL I was wondering when I was gonna get in shat.

Loons doesn't know slow from fast anymore. :D

Dave is Dave. Granted anything he does I usualy like. (minus I'll Wait, Blacksand, Damn Good and few others) The guitar work in Damn Good is awful man. The soloing is quite unique, but the strumming is fucked.

"After I'm dead, I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."--Cato The Elder (234-149 B.C.)

J-Axe
02-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Dave could write a song containing the words, "Roth rules, Roth rules" throughout and still make it great.

BTW, if Dave had of done Damn Good Times with VH playing the instruments it would have been much better.

Big Troubles
02-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
"After I'm dead, I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."--Cato The Elder (234-149 B.C.)

Tisk tisk* The quote you refer to was taken from a DLR interview at MuchMusic debuting his video A Lil' Aint Enough' in wha? 1991/92? Anyways, the interview ended with him saying that quote, then the VJ said "thanks for being here and being a great guest" Dave said "Hey man, here's my hat, what's my hurry, Im checking out the buffet table".... ;)


see, you are slowing down. :D

Thorman
02-28-2006, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Time rools on
n' that's as it should be
Here and gone
Seems to move so quickly

Man, we was happy
In our restless hearts
It was heaven Right here on earth
Yeah, we were lauthin'
As we reached for the stars
And we had some
For what it was worth

Those were good times
Damn good times
Those were good times
Damn good times

Hey, take a look at this picture,
Can you beliee that was you?
And who's that standin' there in the corner?
Not me!!!
Ahh, the crazy things we used to do
Sure, we was acting like a couple of kids
Good to remember
You know that it is
I still feel it
Like the sun on my skin
Maybe that's better

Cause these are good times
Damn good tiemes
Talkin' about good times
Damn good times

So it's one for the money
But that don't make the show
Count to three and I'll be ready
To follow that road (yes I will)

I see it comin'
Yeah, and this one is outs
We got heaven right here on Earth
Ain't nothin' like it
When you're reachin' for stars
And you grab one
For what it is worth

You can tell 'em
We'll be having good times
Damn good times
I'm talkin' good times (yessir)
Damn good times

I'm really starting to like this song. Do you think it really was about the split up of Van Halen?


Seriously...you are a loser
BAM

Loons The Great
02-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Tisk tisk* The quote you refer to was taken from a DLR interview at MuchMusic debuting his video A Lil' Aint Enough' in wha? 1991/92? Anyways, the interview ended with him saying that quote, then the VJ said "thanks for being here and being a great guest" Dave said "Hey man, here's my hat, what's my hurry, Im checking out the buffet table".... ;)


see, you are slowing down. :D

"Slow Down," is a great tune by Larry Williams. You're a quick one, though, since you still haven't figured out the quote is over 2000 years old.:D

Big Troubles
02-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
"Slow Down," is a great tune by Larry Williams. You're a quick one, though, since you still haven't figured out the quote is over 2000 years old.:D

:D I figured into the factor that most of dave's quotes are plagiarised... Or better yet "reproduced" for our listening pleasure. But 2000 years old? Hmm... I like classic rock, but I try not to play anything older than the 50's.

tru dat.

Loons The Great
02-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
:D I figured into the factor that most of dave's quotes are plagiarised... Or better yet "reproduced" for our listening pleasure. But 2000 years old? Hmm... I like classic rock, but I try not to play anything older than the 50's.

tru dat.

May you live all the days of your life!!

Big Troubles
02-28-2006, 08:11 PM
at least the next 4. Payday is coming up. And Im going to party like it's 1999.

bru87tr
03-06-2006, 09:01 PM
for those slamming steve vai's guitar work in Damn Good.....

when you come up with something better and get it played on the radio come and say I told ya so. till then STFU!

I personally love this song and think the lyrics and guitar are great. its a look back, its blues! its dave , pure dave!

kinda fuunny such a terrible song struck so many people as good. def one of my fav DLR songs.


again......when you guys make a million come talk....lol.


ya, I guess your right. damn good sucks! lol

Big Troubles
03-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by bru87tr
for those slamming steve vai's guitar work in Damn Good.....

when you come up with something better and get it played on the radio come and say I told ya so. till then STFU!

I personally love this song and think the lyrics and guitar are great. its a look back, its blues! its dave , pure dave!

kinda fuunny such a terrible song struck so many people as good. def one of my fav DLR songs.


again......when you guys make a million come talk....lol.


ya, I guess your right. damn good sucks! lol

its not so much that it "sucks", as is the case with most of Dave's 'ballads', they dont live up to the hype I come to expect from him. I love Dave. But somehow I think even Dave himself would tell you, it's not one of his fav's. In fact was this song EVER played on his tour? It would be an easy one to remember and sing. I wonder why he has never played it live? ;)

anyways, it's not fair to compare Steve Vai and Dave's millions to what anyone here can do.

"Every rose has it's Thorn" by Poison. Like it? It was a great ballad. But to tell you the truth I fuckin' hate it. It's 4 mins too long. The solo kicks ass, in a grade 4 kind of a way. The melody, the message in the song...everything says it's a good song. But in the world of personal taste I rank it near the bottom of my list.

audiospectrum
03-08-2006, 09:28 PM
I like it!! Comes after Skyscraper, which I distinctly remember having a major yoga/cannabis trip to one night. Dave was speaking to me in ways I just can't describe. So after touching on the essence of what this song (and the album) is about, I just can't say a bad word about it. Love it!

Thorman
03-14-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Time rools on
n' that's as it should be
Here and gone
Seems to move so quickly

Man, we was happy
In our restless hearts
It was heaven Right here on earth
Yeah, we were lauthin'
As we reached for the stars
And we had some
For what it was worth

Those were good times
Damn good times
Those were good times
Damn good times

Hey, take a look at this picture,
Can you beliee that was you?
And who's that standin' there in the corner?
Not me!!!
Ahh, the crazy things we used to do
Sure, we was acting like a couple of kids
Good to remember
You know that it is
I still feel it
Like the sun on my skin
Maybe that's better

Cause these are good times
Damn good tiemes
Talkin' about good times
Damn good times

So it's one for the money
But that don't make the show
Count to three and I'll be ready
To follow that road (yes I will)

I see it comin'
Yeah, and this one is outs
We got heaven right here on Earth
Ain't nothin' like it
When you're reachin' for stars
And you grab one
For what it is worth

You can tell 'em
We'll be having good times
Damn good times
I'm talkin' good times (yessir)
Damn good times

I'm really starting to like this song. Do you think it really was about the split up of Van Halen?


Just like the RothRetard to write a song about the past..since he has no future....It sounds like a note a 8th grader would write to a chick he went to a movie with...hilarious brother

Hey, check out the CVH 5150 to rock your frigging socks off brotha

BAM

Loons The Great
03-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Thorman
Just like the RothRetard to write a song about the past..since he has no future....It sounds like a note a 8th grader would write to a chick he went to a movie with...hilarious brother

Hey, check out the CVH 5150 to rock your frigging socks off brotha

BAM

Tell the truth, snaggletooth. You are real serious about being stupid.

RuzDNailz
03-15-2006, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Thorman


Hey, check out the CVH 5150 to rock your frigging socks off brotha!
It's what I jack off to! Tonight I'm using shoe polish.

BAM

What you do in your spare time is none of our business! Thank you.

DeadOrAlive
04-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Damn good times.

DeadOrAlive
04-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Never really realized how often I listen to this tune, I just dig the cheesy ass guitar work here. Gotta love the vocals too man, reminds me of Tahoe for some reason.