PDA

View Full Version : BulletBoys "Kiss the Lizard" sounds VH

Hollywood Jesus
04-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Just got the BulletBoys "Sophie" CD.

First song "Kiss the Lizard" has this kinda "Hot for Teacher" vintage VH vibe goin' on. Very nice! Well, except the guitar solo's kinda weak for the song. Not even sure who plays ax on this disc.

Ultimately, the CD needed better production. The sound is uneven and muddy. Still evaluating the rest of the release.

I love the first two BulletBoys albums with Ted Templeman's production. Very close to capturing the spirit of Classic VH.

DLR_EngineRoom
04-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Marq Torien = DLR Wannabe

But hey, at least he's got the right idea.

Who the hell would want to be a Hagar wannabe? Euucchh..!!

I saw Marq & The Bulletboys LIVE about 15 yrs ago with Poison I believe. Bulletboys kicked some serious ass, but it was only because the crowd was so starved for DLR era Halen that they settled for Marq.

I love the Bulletboys, thought they were an amazing tribute to Classic Van Halen.

Check out 'Smooth Up In Ya', 'Talk To Your Daughter' (sounds like Ice Cream Man), 'Hold On St. Christopher' or my favourite 'THC Groove'.

Seshmeister
04-08-2004, 09:33 PM
All Bulletboys songs sounded like VH but to me it was ruined by the awful guitar solos. I never understood how with a thousand EVH wannabees out there they ended up with that.

CHeers!

:gulp:

alexpgrimes
04-08-2004, 09:42 PM
They have a cd called Zaza that's pretty good too.

ALMOSTsaved
04-09-2004, 06:37 AM
Hang On St Christopher is an amazing tune! Total Dave/VH tribute on that one!

Hollywood Jesus
04-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
All Bulletboys songs sounded like VH but to me it was ruined by the awful guitar solos. I never understood how with a thousand EVH wannabees out there they ended up with that.

See now, I liked BulletBoys even better because the guitarist wasn't an EVH clone. Think it's Mick Sweda. He plays with spirit without copying anyone. His playing fits the music well.

I thought/think Torien is more of a tribute to DLR than a copycat. Feel the same way about the band in relation to classic VH.

For BulletBoys catalog:
1) BulletBoys (self-titled) is excellent. Badlands, Money and Ode to Joe under-rated.
2) FreakShow is another home run. What other 80s metal group other than VH would try something like THC Groove or St. Christopher. Ooozes cool.
3) Zaza was disappointing. Pigs Fly knocks me on my ass then the rest of the disc sounds like some '50s cover band.
4) Acid Mokey is AWOL. Never bought it because the reviews said it was a departure.
5) Sohie is OK. Closer to the original two releases, but bad production. (No money, I'm guessing.)

PHOENIX
04-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Hair bands suck ass.