PDA

View Full Version : Olympics in your town.......

RuzDNailz
02-23-2006, 12:10 AM
The Olympics in Torino got me really thinking about what could have
been in 2008 for us here in Toronto and the GTA. We had a very good chance of having the honour of hosting the 2008 Olympics around
2000/2001. When you really think about it, there are some great ups
and some downs for having the Olympics in your own backyard.

Ups: Increased tourism in your city, more people spending money and supporting your economy, your city is put on the map in Olympic history, better recognition.

Downs: Increased traffic because you do gotta get to work or leisure activities, higher volume in the subways, all round busier roads depending on how tolerable you are behind the wheel.

If you have any ideas about those feel free to add.

Water down the hatch! :gulp:

BITEYOASS
02-23-2006, 12:26 AM
Can't wait to go to Whistler and watch the Snowboarding events! :D

jslav06
02-23-2006, 01:13 PM
First of all. In the small town in which I live, you would need to first get every body out of their homes and bulldoze all of the buildings. You'd also have to cut down a bunch of trees. But once the stadium (which will take up the entire town) is built, bob howdy will everybody forget that they just got evicted for this, as they watch the pole vaulting event. :D

thome
02-23-2006, 01:20 PM
I never understood what they do with all the buildings that are built
for the occasion .You have 5 million people in your city for two months
then they are gone, seems like a lot of vacant building left over.??

RuzDNailz
02-23-2006, 11:57 PM
That's the other thing. With all these extra facilities at your cities disposal, they can maybe use them for concerts and public use.

Angel
02-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Vancouver 2010: Come Play With Us! :D

Angel
02-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by RuzDNailz
That's the other thing. With all these extra facilities at your cities disposal, they can maybe use them for concerts and public use.

That's the reason why we did so well. The facilities built for Calgary are the reason why we had medals in more sports than any other country (10). Vancouver DESPERATELY needs winter sports sites, it will be great for the country!

Romeo Delight
02-27-2006, 12:38 PM
For Vancouver, they are finally building bridges that were 15 years overdue.

The Sea to Sky death highway to Whistler is getting some improvements.

Real estate is going through the stratosphere, good for those who own already, shitty for those trying to get into market.

If it wasn't for hockey being played here, I would rather it stayed away, all things considered

Angel
02-27-2006, 03:02 PM
I was on the Island for Expo 86 Flamma, so tell me, where the hell are you going to hide the junkies during this one? ;)

Romeo Delight
02-27-2006, 09:04 PM
The geniuses un charge of the games are going to take one of these three lanes going into downtown core from Whistler, and make it into a Olympic lane only.

Fucking great!! Worse gridlock than ever before!

A 3-lane bridge into Vancouver's downtown! To be a 2-laner! Shit!

Angel
02-28-2006, 03:08 PM
So, they're going to hide the junkies under the bridge then?

For those of you who aren't aware, you see a lot of this on Vancouver's streets:

BITEYOASS
02-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Just drop em off in Detroit, they can pad the census numbers.

Romeo Delight
02-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Angel
So, they're going to hide the junkies under the bridge then?

For those of you who aren't aware, you see a lot of this on Vancouver's streets:

I know for a fact that our downtown is safer than almost every US city of comparable size, so this is an exagerration.

A problem everywhere I am sure.

They are building housing in the old Woodward's building Angel.

A start anyway

Nitro Express
02-28-2006, 08:21 PM
I was living in Salt Lake City during the Olympics there. The Olympics become a huge excuse for spending and the politicians go ape shit. I hated every minute of it and I like winter sports and even skied competatively in my younger years.

The International Olympic Commitee is fully corrupt and the amount of bribery to bring the olympics to your community it obscene.

Unless, you get some needed infastructure that makes sense in the long run, the Olympics enrich a few and screw the rest. Look at Greece, the Olympics actually enlarged the national deficite. It's a lot of money to spend on bringing people to town for two weeks and the whole hype of being an Olympic city is short-lived.

I could care less if they just nixed the whole olympics. Nobody cares about it anymore anyways. It's become too corrupt. I would rather watch the X Games anyways.

Angel
03-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
I know for a fact that our downtown is safer than almost every US city of comparable size, so this is an exagerration.

A problem everywhere I am sure.

They are building housing in the old Woodward's building Angel.

A start anyway

Just as long as they don't do what they did during Expo. A lot of people ended up homeless because of them closing down rooming houses.

I'm sure you can go to every city in North America and find the "druggie" area. You can't deny that Vancouver has a bigger problem than most cities. The good thing about Vancouver's downtown is that you can pretty much avoid the entire area, and Campbell did a hell of a lot of good bringing in the safe-injection sites, along with Health Canada's pilot heroin project. (They provide clinical heroin in a clinical setting so that addicts who have been unsuccessful in traditional rehab can be safely maintained.)

I would consider Vancouver much safer than Toronto, for example. The junkies don't drive around in cars shooting at people. ;)

RuzDNailz
03-10-2006, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Angel

I would consider Vancouver much safer than Toronto, for example. The junkies don't drive around in cars shooting at people. ;)

What are cops doing about it? Big fat NOTHING!!! We have some really shitty areas here, I must admit. At least in Vancouver, there's actually palm trees there! In Canada! Who would have ever thought?