PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Shane Mosely vs. Fernando Vargas

POJO_Risin
02-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Feb 25th...

Weird fight...

Mosely beat De La Hoya twice...Vargas got his ass handed to him by De La Hoya...

Vargas beat Winky Wright...who beat Mosely twice...

interesting...

I think Vargas is probably going to win...but he's dropping a lot of weight...I heard about 40 pounds to get ready for the fight...

we'll see...a fight with some interest...

Dave's Bitch
02-23-2006, 09:09 AM
i hope vargas beats mosely's ass.im not impressed by him.i dont think he has earned the title "sugar".i havnt seen him fight for a while so i dunno he might have improved but i dunno i just dont think he is anything special in the ring.i think Vargas will win probably on points

ALinChainz
02-23-2006, 12:16 PM
If it goes to points, I think Mosely wins.

He will have to use his speed to box and stay away.

Both are washed up and this fight was only important the first time around.

bastardog
02-23-2006, 02:55 PM
I think Mosley could knock Vargas if fight with intelligence.
Vargas is a bubble head boxer since Tito Trinidad knock down him like 5 times in their figth.

and yes.....both are washout boxers trying to survive

ALinChainz
02-26-2006, 01:42 AM
Mosley stops Vargas in 10th round

By KEN PETERS, AP Sports Writer
February 26, 2006

AP - Feb 26, 12:45 am EST
More Photos

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Shane Mosley saw Fernando Vargas' left eye swelling more with each round, so he kept peppering the injury with jabs and combinations.

"As the rounds went on, it got bigger and bigger, and I went, `Wow, look what we have here,"' Mosley said of the knot just above Vargas' eye.

By the end of the seventh round, Vargas' eye was swollen shut. Referee Joe Cortez finally stopped it and declared Mosley the winner in the 10th round after he landed several hard shots to Vargas' head.

"He tried to push me and shove me, and I was trying to keep myself away because he was so heavy. That fight showed that I'm a very strong welterweight," said Mosley, a natural welterweight meeting Vargas as a junior middleweight.

Mosley puffed up Vargas' eye below the brow with a hard right in the opening round, then kept punching to the left side of Vargas' face as the fight went on.

By the end of the seventh round, Vargas could not see out of the eye, although he kept gamely coming at Mosley.

There were no knockdowns in the bout at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

Mosley was ahead by one point on two judges' cards, and behind by a point on the other when the fight ended 1:22 into the 10th.

Vargas claimed the swelling came from a head butt, and said he thought he controlled the fight.

"I was wondering why they stopped the fight," Vargas said. "I was the one pushing the action, backing him into the ropes. I definitely want a rematch. Let's see what he says."

The 34-year-old Mosley, who had won just four of his last eight fights, used his quicker hands to effectively counter-punch Vargas, who did land several hard rights, but never any telling blows.

Mosley, from Pomona, Calif., improved to 42-4 with his 36th knockout. The 28-year-old Vargas, from Oxnard, Calif., is 26-3, with 22 knockouts.

Mosley weighed 152 and Vargas 153 1/2 , a half-pound below the 154-pound limit.

On the undercard, Jhonny Gonzalez stopped Mark Johnson in the eighth round of their scheduled 12-round bout, and unbeaten heavyweight Calvin Brock stopped journeyman Zuri Lawrence in the fifth round of their 10-round match.

The Gonzalez-Johnson fight was scheduled to be for Gonzalez's WBO bantamweight title, but the 34-year-old Johnson didn't make the 118-pound limit, weighing in at 119 1/2 . Gonzalez, 117, from Mexico City, is 32-4 with 28 knockouts. Johnson, from Washington, is 44-5 with 28 knockouts.

Brock, a 2000 Olympian from Charlotte, N.C., ran his record to 28-0 with his 22nd knockout, stopping Lawrence, from Poughkeepsie, N.Y., 2:58 into the fifth round with a powerful left hook. Brock weighed in at 231 pounds. Lawrence (20-11-4) weighed 232.

BITEYOASS
02-26-2006, 02:06 AM
Of course this decision lies in the hands of Don King.

Dave's Bitch
02-26-2006, 04:03 AM
that ballsed up my prediction...

DlocRoth
02-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Maybe they both can go ahead and call it a day now......

Unfortunately, now Mosley will say he's back and will proceed to take a few more beatings from real fighters.

POJO_Risin
02-26-2006, 01:03 PM
This fight had no interest to me...hell...even 4 years ago...

Mosely probably bought himself another big payday...where you'll see someone mop his ass up...maybe DeLaHoya...who is fighting in May for the first time in 10 years...lmfao...

It's this Brock that has caught my attention...

He's pounded the shit out of some people...not any real names...but he's hammered a lot of guys that had never been knocked down before...someone to keep an eye on...they call him "The Boxing Banker" because he worked for Bank of America...

pretty gay...

ALinChainz
02-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Maybe with De La Hoya .. as he has signed to fight Ricardo Mayorga ... and may agree to a big payday with Mayweather JR, which would be a mistake.

ALinChainz
02-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Not sure what's next for Mosely, but De La Hoya may want revenge ... so that fight could happen no doubt.

POJO_Risin
02-26-2006, 01:19 PM
If I were De La Hoya...I think he COULD...build up 4 or 5 fights...and if he fought SMART...could beat Mayweather Jr.

I've never seen a fighter like De La Hoya...who could have won so many fights...lose because he played it safe...

I think if he fought smart...he could be Mayweather...but he would have to...HAVE TO...take it to him...

POJO_Risin
02-26-2006, 01:20 PM
and I can't stand DeLaHoya...

but I think he wants to find the ONE fight that will legitimize his career...because right now...he's one of the most overrated fighters of all time...

ALinChainz
02-26-2006, 01:29 PM
I can't stand Oscar either ... just never could ... and in no way shape or form does he have a shot against Floyd now ... I think he would have to be the Oscar of about 5 years ago ...

Floyd's only real problem is he is an asshole out of the ring ... never out of shape and about the fastest guy in the business, at any weight.

I'm not sure Oscar is doing himself any favors with so much time in between fights, if he still considers himself active at all.

boy, u stupid
02-26-2006, 01:39 PM
I've always wanted a shot at mosley, but the guy I'm really targeting if and when I return to the ring is roy jones jr. He's a fucking racist.

POJO_Risin
02-26-2006, 01:41 PM
I don't know that you can say much about De La Hoya at this point...what's it been...2 years since he faught?

I've never seen a fight that DeLaHoya COULDN'T win...he just has shit game plans...

and I know how fast Merryweather is...but I could certainly see a heavier handed De La Hoya...with 4 or 5 fights under his belt...beat him...

Like I said before...if De La Hoya would actually LISTEN to his corner...instead of going on these breaks where he'd try NOT to lose fights...I can only think of a couple of fights that he really didn't have a shot to win...

DlocRoth
02-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Pojo......

Dude, you know I respect you and all..... LOL

But you are out of your fucking mind. Nobody will ever beat little Floyd. Ever.

He is the baddest man on the planet. He puts the shoeshine on dudes and they don't even see it. He would simply destroy De La.

DlocRoth
02-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Past or present.

ALinChainz
02-26-2006, 01:45 PM
No doubt about it, I agree ... De La Hoya could very well be undefeated at this point ... no question ...

Mayweather is a young guy still and still improving ... he's destroying guys ... Gatti was supposively heavy handed also ... and he got shut out first, then knocked out ...

Be interesting if it ever went down ... I'd predict Floyd in easy fashion.

Unchainme
02-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by boy, u stupid
I've always wanted a shot at mosley, but the guy I'm really targeting if and when I return to the ring is roy jones jr. He's a fucking racist.

Joe what are you then if he's a racist?

POJO_Risin
02-26-2006, 02:14 PM
DLoc...you need to be on the guy's promoting team...as if his mouth wasn't big enough...

C'mon...everyone knows Mayweather Jr. hasn't fought anyone worth a damn...

Gatti's best days are LONG gone...after some of the wars he's been in...

a bunch of duffs...

I think Mayweather is a great...great fighter...quick...harder punch than he's given credit for...

but I can't believe that people are talking about Gatti as a great opponent at this stage of his career...

De La Hoya...by the way...knocked him out quicker than Mayweather...and before Gatti punched himself out against Ward...

If De La Hoya got some fights under his belt...this would be a fight...

DlocRoth
02-26-2006, 02:32 PM
De La Hoya was a great fighter who lacks a killer instinct.

I'm not saying Floyd would knock him out, but he'd hit him in the eye all night.

De La Hoya could, COULD have been one of the greats, no doubt. But it's over....

Let him fight Mickey Ward or something. Floyd would make him look like an old man.

Here's my boy Animal promoting the next lil Floyd fight.

ONLY IN AMERICA!!

POJO_Risin
02-26-2006, 02:32 PM
It would seem to me though....that with De La Hoya going after a piece of the Light Middy title...

that he's wanting the winner of last night's fight as a step...

I know Junior wants to move up to Middles...so we'll see...what happens after BigMouth's next fight against Zab Judah...another overrated fighter...who lost his last fight...

POJO_Risin
02-26-2006, 02:34 PM
I agree he lacked killer instinct...but I think he would frustrate the shit out of Mayweather...

DlocRoth
02-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Well, when the day comes, we can put 2 mythical bits on it.

DlocRoth
02-26-2006, 02:40 PM
The winner of last night's fight as a step? To what?

Both Vargasand Mosely are washed up has beens. And it hurts me to say that. I was full on Sugar Shane's band wagon a few years back. I thought he was the best out there, including Jones Jr.

Those 2 are like Tyson now.

All name, no game.

POJO_Risin
02-26-2006, 02:51 PM
exactly...a step for De La Hoya to get a name fight...for cash...and to get his name back out there...

I agree both are done...

probably all 3...