View Full Version : Don Knotts dead at 81

FORD
02-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Posted on Sat, Feb. 25, 2006

http://www.radioblogger.com/images/barney.JPG

Actor Don Knotts dies at 81; made being a nerd OK

JEREMIAH MARQUEZ
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Don Knotts, the skinny, lovable nerd who kept generations of television audiences laughing as bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show," has died. He was 81.

Knotts died Friday night of pulmonary and respiratory complications at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Beverly Hills, said Paul Ward, a spokesman for the cable network TV Land, which airs "The Andy Griffith Show," and another Knotts hit, "Three's Company."

Unspecified health problems had forced him to cancel an appearance in his native Morgantown in August 2005.

The West Virginia-born actor's half-century career included seven TV series and more than 25 films, but it was the Griffith show that brought him TV immortality and five Emmies.

The show ran from 1960-68, and was in the top 10 of the Nielsen ratings each season, including a No. 1 ranking its final year. It is one of only three series in TV history to bow out at the top: The others are "I Love Lucy" and "Seinfeld." The 249 episodes have appeared frequently in reruns and have spawned a large, active network of fan clubs.

As the bug-eyed deputy to Griffith, Knotts carried in his shirt pocket the one bullet he was allowed after shooting himself in the foot. The constant fumbling, a recurring sight gag, was typical of his self-deprecating humor.

Knotts, whose shy, soft-spoken manner was unlike his high-strung characters, once said he was most proud of the Fife character and doesn't mind being remembered that way.

His favorite episodes, he said, were "The Pickle Story," where Aunt Bea makes pickles no one can eat, and "Barney and the Choir," where no one can stop him from singing.

"I can't sing. It makes me sad that I can't sing or dance well enough to be in a musical, but I'm just not talented in that way," he lamented. "It's one of my weaknesses."

Knotts appeared on six other television shows. In 1979, Knotts replaced Norman Fell on "Three's Company," playing the would-be swinger landlord to John Ritter, Suzanne Somers and Joyce DeWitt.

Early in his TV career, he was one of the original cast members of "The Steve Allen Show," the comedy-variety show that ran from 1956-61. He was one of a group of memorable comics backing Allen that included Louis Nye, Tom Poston and Bill "Jose Jimenez" Dana.

Knotts' G-rated films were family fun, not box-office blockbusters. In most, he ends up the hero and gets the girl - a girl who can see through his nervousness to the heart of gold.

In the part-animated 1964 film "The Incredible Mr. Limpet," Knotts played a meek clerk who turns into a fish after he is rejected by the Navy.

When it was announced in 1998 that Jim Carrey would star in a "Limpet" remake, Knotts responded: "I'm just flattered that someone of Carrey's caliber is remaking something I did. Now, if someone else did Barney Fife, THAT would be different."

In the 1967 film "The Reluctant Astronaut," co-starring Leslie Nielsen, Knotts' father enrolls his wimpy son - operator of a Kiddieland rocket ride - in NASA's space program. Knotts poses as a famous astronaut to the joy of his parents and hometown but is eventually exposed for what he really is, a janitor so terrified of heights he refuses to ride an airplane.

In the 1969 film "The Love God?," he was a geeky bird-watcher who is duped into becoming publisher of a naughty men's magazine and then becomes a national sex symbol. Eventually, he comes to his senses, leaves the big city and marries the sweet girl next door.

He was among an army of comedians from Buster Keaton to Jonathan Winters to liven up the 1963 megacomedy "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." Other films include "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, 1966; "The Shakiest Gun in the West," 1968; and a few Disney films such as "The Apple Dumpling Gang," 1974; "Gus," 1976; and "Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo," 1977.

In 1998, he had a key role in the back-to-the-past movie "Pleasantville," playing a folksy television repairman whose supercharged remote control sends a teen boy and his sister into a TV sitcom past.

Knotts began his show biz career even before he graduated from high school, performing as a ventriloquist at local clubs and churches. He majored in speech at West Virginia University, then took off for the big city.

"I went to New York cold. On a $100 bill. Bummed a ride," he recalled in a visit to his hometown of Morgantown, where city officials renamed a street for him in 1998.

Within six months, Knotts had taken took a job on a radio Western called "Bobby Benson and the B-Bar-B Riders," playing a wisecracking, know-it-all handyman. He stayed with it for five years, then came his series TV debut on "The Steve Allen Show."

He married Kay Metz in 1948, the year he graduated from college. The couple had two children before divorcing in 1969. Knotts later married, then divorced Lara Lee Szuchna.

In recent years, he said he had no plans to retire, traveling with theater productions and appearing in print and TV ads for Kodiak pressure treated wood.

The world laughed at Knotts, but it also laughed with him.

He treasured his comedic roles and could point to only one role that wasn't funny, a brief stint on the daytime drama "Search for Tomorrow."

"That's the only serious thing I've done. I don't miss that," Knotts said.

Diamondjimi
02-25-2006, 05:57 PM
R.I.P. Barney ,I mean Mr.Furley , I mean Don.....

Mr. Vengeance
02-25-2006, 08:24 PM
As Ralph Ferley would say..

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!!!!!!!!!

Loved that guy!

bueno bob
02-25-2006, 08:36 PM
He was a great...

flatbroke
02-25-2006, 08:37 PM
RIP Barney / Don

You gave me huge laughs over many years. Was just laughing over a replay of the phrase you made famous "Nip it in the bud" the other day......

Little Texan
02-25-2006, 08:38 PM
R.I.P. Barney Fife...the Andy Griffith Show is one of my all-time favorite tv shows...Barney Fife made that show the great show that it was.

manwiththedogs
02-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Darren McGavin (Night Stalker, A Christmas Story) passed away today as well...

EAT MY ASSHOLE
02-25-2006, 09:02 PM
Who's gonna body-double for Mick Jagger for the Stones next video now????

manwiththedogs
02-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
Who's gonna body-double for Mick Jagger for the Stones next video now????

Who indeed Asshole, who indeed...

Full Bug
02-25-2006, 09:25 PM
RIP Don.....
He was one of the true greats of comedy, guys like that who make an impression on generations are pretty much a rare breed, think Jim Carey will be entertaining in his 60's? I doubt it......
http://www.smileypad.com/v10/Cache/Funny/Prayer.gif

jhale667
02-25-2006, 09:33 PM
R.I.P. Don...:(

ULTRAMAN VH
02-25-2006, 09:33 PM
The Andy Griffith Show is my favorite tv show. The chemistry between Andy and Don can never be replaced. Don Knotts was one of a kind. He will be missed. RIP Mr. Knotts. RIP Darren McGavin.

BITEYOASS
02-26-2006, 12:08 AM
The entire South is in mourning. First Jim Varney, now Don Knotts!! R.I.P.:(

ALinChainz
02-26-2006, 01:32 AM
One of my fave shows also ...

I TIVO the show show I can rewatch all my fave episodes.

He won numerous Emmy's as Fife I believe ... not even sure if anyone else on the show did.

EbDawson
02-26-2006, 02:08 AM
RIP Don, thanks for all the laughs.

Hardrock69
02-26-2006, 02:35 AM
Man this sucks.

My mom took me to the movie theater when I was a kid to see The Reluctant Astronaut. Also The Shakiest Gun In The West.

The effect he had on MILLIONS of people can never truly be explained.

His comedic talent ranks him as one of the greatest comedic character actors in movies & TV.

R.I.P. Mr. Knotts.
:(

http://www.emerchandise.com/images/p/AGS/pzSIAGS0004.jpg

rustoffa
02-26-2006, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by manwiththedogs
Darren McGavin (Night Stalker, A Christmas Story) passed away today as well...

Holy shit. His performance in A Christmas Story is gold.....gluing the lamp back together? The battle with the furnace?

That's one of the funniest movies ever made.

Don Knotts? It's too bad he didn't pull the bullet out of his pocket and blow Andy Griffith's head off. Andy Griffith is a fucking asshole. Remember Ernest T. Bass? That sumbitch ended up working for a freight forwarder here.....Andy Griffith ripped him off. Andy Griffith is a fucking asshole. I saw the sonofabitch throw a temper tantrum at a steakhouse near Kill Devil Hills N.C. It was about not enough ice in his water or something.

Oh yeah, Don Knotts was a comedic genius.

RIP.

Nitro Express
02-26-2006, 03:39 AM
I grew up with Don Knotts. Who didn't watch Andy Griffeth as a kid, then he did those Disney movies you saw at the theater (before home video became available). He was even in a Scooby Doo episode. Then he was on Threes Company that I watched in my teens and still watch in reruns. I think Susanne Summers was the first famouse chick I wanked off to. Then of course Don was in other things after that.

He was a true icon that lasted in the business for most his life.

Terry
02-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Still love that movie The Incredible Mr. Limpett...

..and those brown and yellow polyester leisure shirts Mr. Furley wore...you know, with the big pink rose on the front?

I hope Lana gave him a little piece of tail before he checked out...

Nitro Express
02-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Don Knots screwing is a funny visual. He deserves 72 virgins.

Dan
02-26-2006, 11:46 PM
R.I.P. to a Great Man,thanks for the laughs.

Matt White
02-27-2006, 12:49 AM
An ABSOLUTE AMERICAN ICON...

RIP Mr. Knotts

http://members.aol.com/jeff94100/knotts.jpg

jhale667
02-27-2006, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Still love that movie The Incredible Mr. Limpett...

I wish I were a fish....I wish I were a fish....

Vinnie Velvet
02-27-2006, 08:07 AM
RIP, Don.

:(

Hardrock69
02-27-2006, 01:18 PM
The Love God???

Here is a cool essay on Don Knotts and his career.....

http://www.interestingideas.com/ii/knotts.htm

Hardrock69
02-27-2006, 01:35 PM
And FURTHERMORE......

I discovered this little gem on the net...the original Universal trailer for "The Love God?"

:D

http://rapidshare.de/files/14284401/LoveGod.rar.html

BigBadBrian
02-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Just about anything in life one needs to know could be learned from The Andy Griffith Show.

I'm in mourning. :(

BALLYJUNKIE
02-27-2006, 10:18 PM
what about mr furly ? he was great as ralph furly the kids landlord

RuzDNailz
02-28-2006, 01:22 AM
Here are some good quotes from Three's Company

Mr. Furley: Larry! What are you doing!?
Larry: I'm shampooing my carpet.
Mr. Furley: Why? What, do you think it's got dandruff?

Shows up at the door all burned after cooking at the BBQ

Jack: Oh, my gosh! Furley! What happened? How are the burgers?
Mr. Furley: Well, I lit the damn BBQ and it exploded and flames everywhere! Why? You want your hamburger? Way up in the tree!

BigBadBrian
02-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Trivia for
"The Andy Griffith Show" (1960)
Barney Fife kept one bullet in his shirt pocket and his citation booklet in his cap.

Barney Fife was Andy Taylor's cousin. There were three episodes that mentioned Andy and Barney being cousins: The New Housekeeper, The Manhunt, Runaway Kid.

In the first season, Barney Fife courted several women including Thelma Lou. In "Andy the Matchmaker", Barney courted a woman named Miss. Rosemary, in "Ellie for Council", Barney is seen dating Hilda May, who is again mentioned in "Christmas Story". Juanita, the never-seen waitress at the local diner was also serenaded by Barn in a few episodes in later seasons. Thelma Lou is only seen in one episode of the first season, but appears later as Barney's main squeeze.

The characters of Andy and Opie originally debuted on an episode of the "Make Room for Daddy" (1953) (The Danny Thomas Show). Frances Bavier, who later played Aunt Bee, was introduced as Harriet Perkins.

The character of Warren Ferguson (played by Jack Burns) was brought in to replace Barney Fife after Don Knotts left the show. Warren was referred to on occasion as Floyd the barber's nephew. Replacing the classic character of Barney Fife proved to be an impossible task, however. "Warren Ferguson" did not catch on with the viewers, and he was written out of the series after only appearing in 11 episodes. There was no explanation in any episode story line for Warren's departure; he simply stopped appearing.

After Howard McNear left the show, Floyd's Barber Shop became Emmit's Fixit Shop.

The scripts used during Jack Burns's time on the show as Deputy Warren Ferguson were originally written for Don Knotts' Barney Fife.

Thelma Lou's last name and occupation were never revealed.

Milton, Oliver, and the middle initial "P" were all given as Barney Fife's middle name at one time or another during the series.

Andy Griffith originally told Don Knotts that he only wanted to do the show for five years. So they both signed five-year contracts. During the fifth season, Knotts began looking for other work. He then signed a five-year deal with Universal Pictures. Suddenly, Griffith decided to continue on with the series for three more years and offered Knotts a new contract. But Knotts was already bound by his contract with Universal and left the show.

In two episodes of the second season, Andy Griffith's hand is heavily bandaged. Griffith had broken his hand by punching a wall. On the show, the bandage was explained by Sheriff Taylor saying he hurt his hand apprehending some criminals.

The character of Helen Crump was supposed to be a one-shot. That is why they gave the character an unpleasant sounding name. But the producers were so impressed with Aneta Corsaut's performance and her rapport with Andy Griffith that they made her a regular cast member.

The character played by Hope Summers was originally named "Bertha Edwards" in the first season. In the second season, the character came to be known as "Clara" and she referred to her late husband as "Mr. Johnson". Later, she came to be known as "Clara Edwards".

Rockne Tarkington is the only African-American actor ever to have a speaking role on the show. He appeared in one episode as Opie's piano-playing football coach.

Andy and Barney's squad car was a Ford Galaxie. The cars were supplied free of charge by a nearby Ford dealer, and whenever the newest model came out, it was sent to the studio and the old one was returned to the dealer who re-painted it and sold it. Altogether, there were about 10 different Ford Galaxies used throughout the run of the series.

Opie Taylor was named for Opie Cates, a prominent bandleader of the 1930s and 1940s whom Andy Griffith and Sheldon Leonard both admired.

Elinor Donahue decided not to return after the first season because she felt she had no on-screen chemistry with Andy Griffith. Griffith later admitted that it was his own fault because had a hard time showing affection on-screen, and as a result, the relationship didn't appear real or believable.

Mayberry, North Carolina is based on Mt. Airy, North Carolina, Andy Griffith's birthplace.

The final season of the show was pretty much a setup for its replacement, "Mayberry R.F.D." (1968).

The show was shot on the same set as Atlanta from Gone with the Wind (1939), if you were to walk out of the courthouse and look to the right at the end of the street, you can see the old Atlanta train station in many episodes.

Aunt Bee was originally from Morgantown, West Virginia

Josie Lloyd, the actress who plays Juanita, Mayor Pike's daughter in "Mayberry Goes Hollywood", is seen again in "The Beauty Contest" and plays the Mayor's daughter, Josephine. There is no evidence in "Mayberry Goes Hollywood" that Juanita Pike is "the" Juanita that Barney pines for. She also had a recurring role in the third and fifth seasons as Lydia Crosswaithe.

Sheriff Taylor did not routinely appear wearing a necktie or a sidearm. In several episodes, he wears a necktie or a sidearm in special circumstances, such as when a VIP visited Mayberry or if he had to track an escaped convict reported to be in the vicinity. He rarely was shown smoking, but did so in a couple of episodes.

When Howard McNear left the show after years of declining health, his departure was explained by having Floyd sell the barbershop and moving away to be with his daughter.

The series ended while still at the top of the Nielsen's Ratings, one of only three shows to have done so, along with "I Love Lucy" (1951) and "Seinfeld" (1990).

When Don Knotts left the show, his absence was explained by having Barney move to Raleigh, North Carolina to join their police department.

One of the maps used for a period of time behind Andy's desk was simply a state map of Idaho turned upside down.

The character 'Andy Taylor' was ranked #8 in TV Guide's list of the "50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time" (20 June 2004 issue).

When Don Knotts left the show, Jerry Van Dyke was considered for the part of a deputy who would have replaced Barney Fife, and even appears in a deputy's uniform in a fifth-season episode. However, Van Dyke chose instead to star in NBC's "My Mother the Car" (1965), and later said if he had to do it over again, he would have taken the deputy part instead.

Before Aunt Bee moved in with Andy, he had a housekeeper named Rose. Andy performed her wedding ceremony in the first episode.

The theme song for the series was titled "The Fishing Hole". Lyrics for the song were written by Everett Sloane but the producers decided that whistling the tune set the tone for the show, so the words were dropped.