PDA

View Full Version : Vito Bratta

Gringo
02-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know what happend to Vito Bratta from White Lion?
I know that he was considered a Eddie Van Halen-copy, but he played good guitar...
What do you guys think?

Gringo

jhale667
02-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Didn't he injure his hands somehow, and is/was unable to play guitar for the past few years? Seems like I heard that...:confused:

He was a decent player....that sucks if it's true...:(

Gringo
02-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Have he recorded anything since White Lion?
When you say so, i think i heard that he injured his hands, and yeah, that's a shame! I just saw some White Lion videos on VH1(internet-site) and he was a great guitarist...

POJO_Risin
02-26-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't know if he injured his hands or not...but he's not...to my knowledge...recorded anything with anyone other than White Lion...nor performed with anyone since White Lion broke up in 1991. He's also not in Mike Tramp's new version of White Lion...called...Mike Tramp's White Lion...

POJO_Risin
02-26-2006, 06:44 PM
If I remember right...Vito didn't injure his hands...that was just a rumor...

After he and Tramp essentially said they wanted to kill each other in 1991...

he just gave up the biz to take care of his family...dad was sick...or something like that...

I think Bratta is a real estate agent in New York City now...

Gringo
02-26-2006, 06:49 PM
I can't see why Mike Tramp calls his band Mike Tramp's White Lion.
That's just ridicolous! James Lomenzo doesn't call his band Pride & Glory just cause he was in it.
But what Mike Tramp does is a typical thing to do for a nearly forgotten rockstar i guess :-)

ThrillsNSpills
02-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Here's some stuff from a Vito site. I don't know if it's on the money but some posters (other than the one after this blurb )say the source is guitar magazine.

"In 1995 Bratta stopped playing guitar altogether to take a break from the instrument that had brought him so much success through the late '80's and early 90's. In 1997 he picked it back up again and starting playing Classical guitar 14 hours a day, not taking the time to stretch and build up his strength. One day, he felt something snap on the side of his wrist and he couldn't move his hand from left to right. After years now, thinking time would heal the injury, Bratta can't even bear the pain of touching a string. He is now contemplating surgery."

I believe the article you posted was from and issue of Guitar Magazine. It appears to be a true story. Since Vito has never made anything clear to his fans, it is hard to dispute the story. Eddie Trunk reported that one of the reason for Vito Bratta been out of the music business, was that he had been taking care of his family. His father recently passed away, which must of been dificult for him and his brothers and sisters. One thing that is true is that he was recording some sort of Civil War Project with Lead Singer John Levesque [ex-Wildhorse]. They recorded material together, but it never materialized. You can find this story on the internet if you google "Vito Bratta and John Levesque". I also know that Vito is a huge hockey fan, since I found a post from him on the internet. Yes it even has his email address. I have emailed him a couple of times, but never got a response. God Bless him and his family is all I can wish for the guy. Vito if you are out there reading this, please let us know how your life has been. At least let us know you are OK.

Gringo
02-26-2006, 06:53 PM
A real estate agent?
I'm moving to the states and i'm buying a house...! :-)

I'll use my force and make him play guitar again! :-)

POJO_Risin
02-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Tramp does the White Lion thing...and does the solo thing...

lmfao...

both unsuccessfully...

ThrillsNSpills
02-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Videos of Vito (http://www.vito-bratta.com/videos.htm)

thome
02-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Thanks to all, T&S special thanks i had forgotten what a staight forward great band that was.And will be again

We really need a big reinsugence of this style of Music I feel that if
CVH got out on a years tour it would open so many doors for rock fests

I know these style of bands are still doin it but it would be nice to see
them everywhere and all the time.

Seshmeister
02-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
Videos of Vito (http://www.vito-bratta.com/videos.htm)

Thanks for that!

Bratta was maybe the most melodic rock guitar soloist ever.

Stuff like the solo's to Wait or Little Fighter are unsurpassed and the usual EVH comparisons aren't really correct because he was writing solo's that Eddie could only dream of by that point.

A genius.

That band was ruined by Tramp who was a Europop Idol in hard rock clothing. I think after his abortion of a song, "When the children cry" went to #1 he got too much influence in the bands direction leading to their pussification and swift demise under the first barrage of grunge.

Tramp actually went back an rerecorded gay versions of all of their songs and brought it out as a solo album.

I've only heard clips but nearly vomited.

Terry
02-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Never really got into him that heavily when White Lion was at their zenith, because at the time they were just another hair band with a guitar player that couldn't keep both hands off the fretboard...so upon a cursory glance/listen, I'd say he was somewhat of an Eddie clone, but may be an unfair characterization on my part.

Is definitely a severe bummer to anyone who enjoys playing the guitar to be unable to because of physical injury, though.

"Mike Tramp's White Lion"? Gee, thanks for clearing THAT up, Mike!

Seshmeister
02-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Never really got into him that heavily when White Lion was at their zenith, because at the time they were just another hair band with a guitar player that couldn't keep both hands off the fretboard...so upon a cursory glance/listen, I'd say he was somewhat of an Eddie clone, but may be an unfair characterization on my part.

It's not how many hands you have on the fretboard it's what you do with them...:)

Give his solo's another listen.

thome
02-26-2006, 09:21 PM
Go to thrills and spills bratta vids and clik on the video interview
he talks about how eddie opened so many doors

My fingers weren't long enough to reach the whole fret board and i need
this note at the sane time eddie brought that to the surface for him.

He was no clone just apiece here and a piece there..

Terry
02-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Even just the guitar parts for Wait itself weren't too bad in the context of the year it was released and what other bands were doing at the same time...

...Think it was just the timing of White Lion hitting the scene that soured it for me, because by that point they got lumped into the same Bon Jovi/Winger/Warrant/Poison shitball in my mind, probably unfairly...

...although Tramp appeared then like half a fag with a real limp-wristed, pussy style of singing.

I will say that from what I DID hear of the group, Bratta was the standout member.

Gringo
02-27-2006, 04:37 AM
I agree that Vito Bratta was the standout member of the band, and yeah, i don't think he was a EVH-clone... just very, very, very inspired.
Can't really blame him for that, can we? EVH rules, and there's a reason why.
:-)

Seshmeister
02-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Terry
...although Tramp appeared then like half a fag with a real limp-wristed, pussy style of singing.

He sings as though he's looking a picture of a kitten and is about to burst into tears at how cute it is...

Vinnie Velvet
02-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Vito (and White Lion) were right away dismissed as a poor imitation of CVH.

I remember seeing them open for AC/DC, way back in '88.

Vito was a good player and its sad that he's not doing it anymore, as it seems.

Seshmeister
02-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Thanks for that!
That band was ruined by Tramp who was a Europop Idol in hard rock clothing. I think after his abortion of a song, "When the children cry" went to #1 he got too much influence in the bands direction leading to their pussification and swift demise under the first barrage of grunge.

Case in point the 'Cry for Freedom' video on Vito's site.

If I ever have to endure that again I'll sue. If Nelson Mandela had heard that when he got out he would have demanded to be put back in jail.

James Lomenzo said all that soft pap was Mike Tramps fault.

fe_lung
02-27-2006, 08:43 AM
I saw them headlne for their second album and it wasn't a bad show. None of them had a lot of stage presence, but musically they were tight.

Vito had a lot more restraint than Ed has. Listen to their cover or Radar Love. Ed would have junked that all up with his busybody style. Vito lays in the pocket and gives it the right kicks in all the right places.

bru87tr
02-27-2006, 08:58 AM
vito has actually been contacted by Mike Tramp many times. recently as last year or even sooner Tramp wanted to do a reunion. but Vito was not into it, he thought about it but wasnt for it. Tramp hoped and held out for a reunion that the record co wanted but Vito just wouldnt do it. Tramp said he waited and hoped but soon figured he would just do it without vito but it wouldnt be a reunion. ala- Tramps White Lion.

Tramp is only doing it cause people want to hear the music of White Lion. but I belive he has finally retired the name and now will only be doing white lion at his solo shows without the name.

Vito hates the business and is the reason he does not do anything anymore commercially. I dont know why some are slamming Tramp. he wrote some great songs and White Lion never would have had as much success without him. they are a great melodic band and vito had some killer solos. he is missed.

a waste of talent. would have loved to see a white lion reunion.

Seshmeister
02-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by fe_lung
I saw them headlne for their second album and it wasn't a bad show. None of them had a lot of stage presence, but musically they were tight.

Vito had a lot more restraint than Ed has. Listen to their cover or Radar Love. Ed would have junked that all up with his busybody style. Vito lays in the pocket and gives it the right kicks in all the right places.

Second album was by far their best 'Pride', apart from that horrible crapola 'When the Children Cry'. At least it was the last track on the album so easily avoided...

bru87tr
02-27-2006, 10:20 AM
http://www.metalsludge.tv/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=416&Itemid=52

Mike Tramp mentions The Great Roth in this interview.

FORD
02-27-2006, 11:25 AM

Tramp actually went back an rerecorded gay versions of all of their songs and brought it out as a solo album.

I've only heard clips but nearly vomited.

God damn it Sesh!

I had totally forgotten about those abominations and had them buried deeper in the recesses of the subconscious than even VDIII, and then you had to bring them up :mad:

Still have the Pride CD, still listen to it now and then. Never really cared for Tramp that much anyway, but the music was good for the time. Certainly better than Van Hagar. Except for "When The Children Cry", which Sammy could have written himself.

I'd probably give anything Vito released a fair listen, even if it was a classical album. Since he had the Eddie thing down so well, I thought maybe Lomenzo could talk him into joining Dave's band. Of course that might have looked like "White Lion featuring David Lee Roth" and half the people would have expected Dave to sing "Wait". Somehow I don't see that happening.

thome
02-27-2006, 11:41 AM
My prob was Tramp is so damn pritty like Kip Winger those dudes
never had to ask for a date in their life thats what turned me off
in the begging to those two bands... Roth was good lookin i can handle that but those pritty boys seem to direct all their songs just
to the girl their dating and they look like their kissing the camera
BLECK!!! their still a good tight rock band..

Terry
02-27-2006, 04:26 PM
He sings as though he's looking a picture of a kitten and is about to burst into tears at how cute it is...

Oh, man, THAT is fucking classic!

Terry
02-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by bru87tr
vito has actually been contacted by Mike Tramp many times. recently as last year or even sooner Tramp wanted to do a reunion. but Vito was not into it, he thought about it but wasnt for it. Tramp hoped and held out for a reunion that the record co wanted but Vito just wouldnt do it. Tramp said he waited and hoped but soon figured he would just do it without vito but it wouldnt be a reunion. ala- Tramps White Lion.

Tramp is only doing it cause people want to hear the music of White Lion. but I belive he has finally retired the name and now will only be doing white lion at his solo shows without the name.

Vito hates the business and is the reason he does not do anything anymore commercially. I dont know why some are slamming Tramp. he wrote some great songs and White Lion never would have had as much success without him. they are a great melodic band and vito had some killer solos. he is missed.

Not to make fun of you wanting to see that band reunite, but realistically, Bratta probably figured that there aren't really too many people waiting around for that to happen, and even if they did, they'd probably be on a bill with Ratt, Poison and Dokken as the opening act, or some such sad shit, and that's really not the way one wants to go out.

a waste of talent. would have loved to see a white lion reunion.

PHOENIX
02-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Vito is part of the Bonillo crime family. That is why he left Rock N Roll for awhile and said he was taking care of his dads business. The real -estate angle is just a cover.

Diamondjimi
02-28-2006, 05:59 PM

:lol:

Hit the nail with that one......LOL !

Tramp was definately the weakest link...on par with Bret Michaels ..LOL!

Was a pussy assed bitch........

Diamondjimi
02-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Here's one 'ol Trampy would like to forget.......

bru87tr
02-28-2006, 06:21 PM
is that really Mike Tramp ? lol

I think you guys are a little rough about tramp. the band wouldnt have been successful or as successful without him. he may have written some gay songs but he wrote some killer rockers too.

when the children cry is a better thought out slow song than anything sammy did. atleast the lyrics make sense and are true to the song.

sammys lyrcis are just about gay love. this song tramp wrote was about children. I thought it was a good song and has a great vito solo.

Seshmeister
02-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Vito is part of the Bonillo crime family. That is why he left Rock N Roll for awhile and said he was taking care of his dads business. The real -estate angle is just a cover.

Shit I guess I'm going to wake up with a dead horse in my bed tomorrow. Not for the first time...:)

PHOENIX
02-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Shit I guess I'm going to wake up with a dead horse in my bed tomorrow. Not for the first time...:)

LOL

bru87tr
03-01-2006, 03:33 PM
here is some cool interviews with Mike Tramp and James Lomenzo. they have alot to say about bratta. not good.

http://tormentedvhfans.com/interview/

Gringo
03-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
Here's one 'ol Trampy would like to forget.......

That doesn't look like Mike Tramp if you ask me...?

If it is, poor guy! :-)

Mr Grimsdale
03-02-2006, 03:20 PM
in all honesty i'd say vito takes what eddie does/did and moves it up a level

Gringo
03-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale

Hmmm... Vito is great, but EVH plays a lot better, i think.
EVH played very good on the new songs on "Best Of Both Worlds", but Sammy Hagar ruined the songs with his wimpy-gay-choir-singing!

degüello
03-04-2006, 10:02 AM

Perfect. :D

degüello
03-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Gringo
That doesn't look like Mike Tramp if you ask me...?

If it is, poor guy! :-)

It's definitely him; there's lots of pics around of him doing that pop-metal-boy-band thing.

degüello
03-04-2006, 10:07 AM
http://www.metalsludge.tv/main/modules/subjects/pages/ExposedMikeTramp3.jpg

Diamondjimi
03-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Yup , that's pretty GAY !!!!!!

LOL !

Diamondjimi
03-04-2006, 11:25 AM

Maybe some of the tapping stuff . I think he lacked Ed's fire and aggression . Great player though .....

fenway5150
03-04-2006, 11:40 AM
I loved Vito's work...especially his solos. He rarely had a solo that didn't stand out. Really underrated among that era.

fenway5150
03-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Mike Tramp: I have given up on him, and I don't care if I ever see his face or talk to him again in my life. James and Greg will always be friends and we will talk from time to time.

James Lomenzo: I haven't spoken to him in quite some time, I suppose he's living a pretty private life. I understand that Mike had contacted him to go on tour this year but he declined which to me is a shame because from what I hear from the people I meet, they'd really love to see him with Mike again.

degüello
03-04-2006, 11:18 PM
What are some thoughts about Mane Attraction?

I thought it was the shit, at the time. Honestly haven't heard it since, though. Not sure what I'd think of it now.

mako_kimura
03-05-2006, 12:49 AM
Now this is cool. You guys'll hate hair bands, but talk positively about certain members. Anywho, I've never really heard much White Lion, but Cry For Freedom was pretty good

Gringo
03-05-2006, 07:36 AM
I don't think we hate hair bands, just the silly 80's recordingproductions and the silly clothes/hairstyles...

Mr Grimsdale
03-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
Maybe some of the tapping stuff . I think he lacked Ed's fire and aggression . Great player though .....

As much as I like Eddie's playing and his impact on the guitar scene he's only ever done two or three solo's on record where he's demonstrated anything other than fire and agression, Outta Love, Secrets and Push Comes To Shove. The rest of the stuff while very good is just blues scales with tapping/whammy etc to spice it up. In terms of solo composition I'd say Vito leaves him behind.

As for live I find it hard to take him playing essentially the same live solo for the last 20 years or so. OK Eddie, Eruption was pretty incredible in 1978 as was Cathedral in 1982 but if you're so damned amazing PLAY SOMETHING NEW!

Gringo
03-05-2006, 06:31 PM
As much as I like Eddie's playing and his impact on the guitar scene he's only ever done two or three solo's on record where he's demonstrated anything other than fire and agression, Outta Love, Secrets and Push Comes To Shove. The rest of the stuff while very good is just blues scales with tapping/whammy etc to spice it up. In terms of solo composition I'd say Vito leaves him behind.

As for live I find it hard to take him playing essentially the same live solo for the last 20 years or so. OK Eddie, Eruption was pretty incredible in 1978 as was Cathedral in 1982 but if you're so damned amazing PLAY SOMETHING NEW!

It's just his playing style that is very recognisable... Just listen to Clapton, Malmsteen, BB King to name just a few... they sound like themselves just like EVH.
Why come up with something new when you have developed a playingstyle that is so admired and copied?
Take Steve Vai for example, he hasn't developed much since Alcatraz and Roth, just plays his instrumental songs on his "theme-albums".
That doesn't impress me much. EVH also write great songs, and together with his unique playing style- killer!

degüello
03-05-2006, 06:59 PM
... In terms of solo composition I'd say Vito leaves him behind...

Well, depends what you like in a solo.

While I think Vito's solos were great, they did sound very planned-out. Like everything was written beforehand, one section leading to another, and he was playing it the exact same way every take. That's fine, but it's a certain approach with a certain effect.

Eddie always espoused the "falling down the stairs and landing on your feet" approach, which gave his solos a much more off-the-cuff, spontaneous feel.

Both are cool, but very different.

degüello
03-05-2006, 07:01 PM
... The rest of the stuff while very good is just blues scales with tapping/whammy etc to spice it up...

Come on, that's a ridiculous statement.

degüello
03-05-2006, 07:02 PM
... As for live I find it hard to take him playing essentially the same live solo for the last 20 years or so. OK Eddie, Eruption was pretty incredible in 1978 as was Cathedral in 1982 but if you're so damned amazing PLAY SOMETHING NEW!

Very true and very well put.

Diamondjimi
03-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Ditto !

Mr Grimsdale
03-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Hooray!

Agreement at last. We're all fookin' sick of hearing THAT same live solo at every concert for the last 20 years!

Mr Grimsdale
03-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by degüello
Well, depends what you like in a solo.

While I think Vito's solos were great, they did sound very planned-out. Like everything was written beforehand, one section leading to another, and he was playing it the exact same way every take. That's fine, but it's a certain approach with a certain effect.

Eddie always espoused the "falling down the stairs and landing on your feet" approach, which gave his solos a much more off-the-cuff, spontaneous feel.

Both are cool, but very different.

I'd agree with you, but my original comment was about composition and by your own admission Vito's work does sound composed while Ed's sounds more spontaneous and to my ears a little less adventurous.

Mr Grimsdale
03-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Come on, that's a ridiculous statement.

You're right, I was kind of taking the piss. He occasionally uses tremolo picking too! ;)

degüello
03-17-2006, 11:37 PM
You're right, I was kind of taking the piss. He occasionally uses tremolo picking too! ;)

And uses it too fucking much... :D.

Mr Grimsdale
03-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Exactly exactly.

You can pretty much set your clock by that, 7 bars into the solo and the next bar will end with ascending trem picking.

degüello
03-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Exactly exactly.

You can pretty much set your clock by that, 7 bars into the solo and the next bar will end with ascending trem picking.

Fuck, tell me about it! The "Beat It" ending.

In the clip where he jams with the SNL band, which I watched again a few weeks ago, he does that fucking trick 3 TIMES in a 4 minute jam... pretty funny.

Matt White
03-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Bratta was good....Liked LITTLE FIGHTER & RADAR LOVE....

The cool little "19th Nervous Breakdown" lick he does before the EVH harmonics in the RADAR LOVE solo still knocks me out......

Seshmeister
03-20-2006, 05:11 AM

Maybe a little but a lot of that is the usual Eddie BS.

He claims he wrote Eruption and all the solo's on VHI on the spot in the studio yet by amazing coincidence they are 98% similar to the solo's he did on those songs in bootlegs beforehand...?

Mr Grimsdale
03-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Exactly exactly.

degüello
03-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Maybe a little but a lot of that is the usual Eddie BS.

He claims he wrote Eruption and all the solo's on VHI on the spot in the studio yet by amazing coincidence they are 98% similar to the solo's he did on those songs in bootlegs beforehand...?

I think 98%'s going a little far...

Regardless, his solos come across far more off-the-cuff than Bratta's. Not saying that's better or worse, again, just entirely different.

Mr Grimsdale
03-21-2006, 03:06 PM
off the cuff, a flick of the wrist

ooh no missus no!