PDA

View Full Version : Bill Clinton helped Dubai on ports deal

Roy Munson
03-01-2006, 10:15 PM
*LOL* (http://news.ft.com/cms/s/60414c4c-a95e-11da-a64b-0000779e2340.html)

Bill Clinton helped Dubai on ports deal
By Stephanie Kirchgaessner in Washington
Published: March 1 2006 23:50 | Last updated: March 1 2006 23:50

Bill Clinton, former US president, advised top officials from Dubai two weeks ago on how to address growing US concerns over the acquisition of five US container terminals by DP World.

It came even as his wife, Senator Hillary Clinton, was leading efforts to derail the deal.

Mr Clinton, who this week called the United Arab Emirates a “good ally to America”, advised Dubai’s leaders to propose a 45-day delay to allow for an intensive investigation of the acquisition, according to his spokesman.

On Sunday, DP World agreed with the White House to undertake the lengthy review, a move which has assuaged some of the opposition from the US Congress.

However, Mrs Clinton remains a leading voice against the deal, and this week proposed legislation to block it, arguing that the US could not afford to “surrender our port operations to foreign governments”.

Mr Clinton’s spokesman said: “President Clinton is the former president of the US and as such receives many calls from world leaders and leading figures every week. About two weeks ago, the Dubai leaders called him and he suggested that they submit to the full and regular scrutiny process and that they should put maximum safeguards and security into any port proposal.”

He added that Mr Clinton supported his wife’s position on the deal and that “ideally” state-owned companies would not own US port operations.

Mr Clinton’s contact with Dubai on the issue underscores the relationship he has developed with the United Arab Emirates since leaving office. In 2002, he was paid $300,000 (€252,000) to address a summit in Dubai.

The backlash against Dubai’s takeover has seen some lawmakers in Washington highlight the UAE’s alleged role in helping to finance September 11.

Roy Munson
03-01-2006, 10:16 PM
I like how BillyBob talks from both sides of his mouth. Nothing unusual for him, actually.

Jesus Christ
03-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Oh My Dad...... :rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
03-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Roy Munson
I like how BillyBob talks from both sides of his mouth. Nothing unusual for him, actually.

Um, so? He took their money while "advising" them? The Financial Times? Well, let's see who else carries this...

Funny, you don't have a problem with BUSH's financial ties?

So, it's okay to be a whore as long as the guy that preceded you is?

FORD
03-01-2006, 10:22 PM
NO MORE FUCKING DUBAI THREADS!!!

If you want to repost this in an existing Dubai thread, fine. But we don't need the whole board filled with this shit.

Roy Munson
03-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Jesus Christ
Oh My Dad...... :rolleyes:

That's almost exactly what I said!