PDA

View Full Version : monitor question ?

sagebrush
03-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Ok i have got 4 crate monitors 12s and a horn and there set up with a daisy chaine and i went and got 4 monitors from a friend today for 150$ and there ev/tapco there also 12s with a horn but they have no hook ups my question is does anyone know how to put a volume in a monitor ? is it like the way you wire a guitar ? the reason i ask is my bass player said his monitor drowns hem out . we have tryed to turn hem down with the board but it gets to low when we play live and the sound man kill everyones monitors when he messes with it can any one help ?

sagebrush
03-03-2006, 04:14 AM
Can anyone tell me if this will work ? i guess ill try it and see .

sagebrush
03-03-2006, 04:18 AM

ELVIS
03-03-2006, 12:41 PM
You would need an atteuator to handle the amplifier power, and they are expensive...

You CANNOT just put a volume pot in a line with speaker level current...

BTW, the bass player has bass comming through a monitor ??

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard...

His monitor should be his amp, nothing more...

If he can't hear himself through that, he needs to adjust his frequencies, and/or stand by his amp...

Maybe just get a new bass player...

This guy sounds like a pain in the ass, and he probably sucks...

:elvis:

sagebrush
03-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
You would need an atteuator to handle the amplifier power, and they are expensive...

You CANNOT just put a volume pot in a line with speaker level current...

BTW, the bass player has bass comming through a monitor ??

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard...

His monitor should be his amp, nothing more...

If he can't hear himself through that, he needs to adjust his frequencies, and/or stand by his amp...

Maybe just get a new bass player...

This guy sounds like a pain in the ass, and he probably sucks...

Thank you very much ! He is a big pain in my ass but he is a killer bass player but i am tyring to find another . Hay elvis want a job ?

ELVIS
03-03-2006, 02:33 PM
I'm a guitar player, although I've been playing bass you many years...

ELVIS
03-03-2006, 02:36 PM
And I meant attenuator...

Like, a Marshall power brake, or a Scholz Power Soak...

Those ase attenuators that can safely handle power and can be used in the application you mentioned above, not just for reducing the volume of a guitar amp...

BrownSound1
03-03-2006, 06:06 PM
What kind of bass amp is he using?

Like Elvis mentioned, it sounds like he needs to adjust his eq a bit or just turn up his volume on his amp. That's a big problem in a lot of bands...They have no clue on eq'ing for a live performance. People always want to crank the bass frequencies up...especially on a guitar, and they don't realize that once the drums kick in those frequencies are gone.

ELVIS
03-03-2006, 06:12 PM
And sound like CRAP to the crowd...

I occasionally do sound locally and people look at me funny when I turn the bass almost off!

ELVIS
03-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Not the bass player, of course, the bass on the board, on almost every instrument and vocal...

Steve Savicki
03-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1 once the drums kick in those frequencies are gone.

Is that what leads to separate drum & bass sessions; in order to EQ?

ELVIS
03-03-2006, 07:17 PM
I personally sound check them together...

If that's what you mean...

Steve Savicki
03-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Actually, I was talking about albums/CDs titled "drum & bass sessions" but yes, sound checking is a session! :D

sagebrush
03-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
What kind of bass amp is he using?

Like Elvis mentioned, it sounds like he needs to adjust his eq a bit or just turn up his volume on his amp. That's a big problem in a lot of bands...They have no clue on eq'ing for a live performance. People always want to crank the bass frequencies up...especially on a guitar, and they don't realize that once the drums kick in those frequencies are gone.

He is got a gallien - krueger 700rb-ll head with a 4 10 cab and a 1 15 cab and he runs a digitech pedal i don't know what one he just sets up his tone with it . Im playing drums in this band and when he plays its like i don't have a kick drum . His stack is always right beside me and i try to turn hem down but as we play he just turns up and up . We only run the vocals and the guitars ( not the bass ) in the monitors and he bitchs because he cant hear hisself over the monitors but if we turn down to where he wants it we (the rest of us ) cant heart shit ! Elvis come on to wv and ill give you job we play almost every weekend , you could make some easy money and all the beer you can drink .

ELVIS
03-03-2006, 09:14 PM
I quit drinking beer three years ago and I'm a nurse who works 16hrs every saturday and sunday...

I turned down a band in New Orleans recently...

I would suggest running the bass through the monitors and cutting the low frequency off...

He also needs to play with a much less bassy sound...

I'll bet he sounds terrable from far away...

That, or people complain they don't hear any bass...

sagebrush
03-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I quit drinking beer three years ago and I'm a nurse who works 16hrs every saturday and sunday...

I turned down a band in New Orleans recently...

I would suggest running the bass through the monitors and cutting the low frequency off...

He also needs to play with a much less bassy sound...

I'll bet he sounds terrable from far away...

That, or people complain they don't hear any bass...

Well if you want to play some time stop in and ill get you a coke k . Everyone tells us the sound is good its just we cant hear shit .

ELVIS
03-03-2006, 09:29 PM
I might have something in that Coke...;)

That is, after the music...

ELVIS
03-03-2006, 09:30 PM
I still bet the sound is overly bassy, no ??

ELVIS
03-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Oh, and thank you!!!

Where's my manners...

I'm 38 and I want to be playing in a band BAD!

I start back in college in the summer...

Busy busy busy

sagebrush
03-03-2006, 10:01 PM
I know about the busy thing i work 5 days a week and play on the weekends but i do it because i love to play . But if you want to play come on up and you can set in anytime .

jhale667
03-03-2006, 10:19 PM
So do you guys gig in Charleston, Sagey? Where the hell is there to play there these days? Are there any rock clubs anymore? I'm curious...comin' back for a visit in a couple of months....

ELVIS
03-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by sagebrush
and the sound man kill everyones monitors when he messes with it can any one help ?

Doesn't sound like much of a "sound man"...

sagebrush
03-04-2006, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by jhale667
So do you guys gig in Charleston, Sagey? Where the hell is there to play there these days? Are there any rock clubs anymore? I'm curious...comin' back for a visit in a couple of months....

Yea we got lots of rock now ! After all the old farts died you don't have to play skynard or hank jr all the time .In charleston there is a lot of clubs now we did last willies last weekend its a kool place to play .In morgantown there is alot of hard rock / metal clubs and fairmont its a good place to play but right now the hot spot is huntinton if your band is good you can play every night if you want . south charleston has got some good spots but there is still a lot of 70s/pop going on there .Now oakhill has some places that have open mic night ,they have everything set up and you just sit in ,just bring your guitar or bass and go . Jhale just be carefull if you like to drink the cops are dicks here anymore .

jhale667
03-04-2006, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the info. But as for your last statement:

Jhale just be carefull if you like to drink the cops are dicks here anymore .

Uhhh....when weren't they? ;) I don't drink that much these days, but if I decide to get silly I'll designate a driver...:baaa:

BrownSound1
03-04-2006, 01:38 AM
He is got a gallien - krueger 700rb-ll head with a 4 10 cab and a 1 15 cab and he runs a digitech pedal i don't know what one he just sets up his tone with it . Im playing drums in this band and when he plays its like i don't have a kick drum . His stack is always right beside me and i try to turn hem down but as we play he just turns up and up . We only run the vocals and the guitars ( not the bass ) in the monitors and he bitchs because he cant hear hisself over the monitors but if we turn down to where he wants it we (the rest of us ) cant heart shit ! Elvis come on to wv and ill give you job we play almost every weekend , you could make some easy money and all the beer you can drink .

Well that GK of his has active eq...I know because I've got an 800RB. First thing he needs to do is ditch that Digitech shit. Then he needs to set all of his eq to about 12 o'clock, and instead of boosting frequencies, try cutting back. He's running a 15" speaker and a 4x10..nothing wrong with that per se, but he might need to try to just use the 4x10 cab if boominess is a problem onstage. All I ever run is 10" loaded cabs, and you can get plenty of low end out of one of those. Don't believe me, go sit in a room with a good bass amp and an SWR Goliath cabinet. Tight sound...which is what you're looking for.

I had a similar situation when I was helping a band out one night, except it was the guitarists that were the pains in the ass. Both of the guys were using Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier amps, which have assloads of low end, and too much preamp gain. These fuckers were trying to run their amps like they do in their garage at home, and it sounded like soured ass. They kept complaining that they weren't cutting through enough...every five minutes I was hearing them complain in the sound check. I finally said, "look, did you ever think the problem might be the equipment you're using?" One of them says, "what do you mean? This amp costs such and such!" I said, "I don't give a shit how much it costs. That amp isn't going to "cut" like you're expecting it to within a band situation. First you've got too much fucking distortion going, and it is compressing the shit out of the sound, and second it's a freakin' Dual Rectum Frier." (Sorry, just not a fan of Mesa/Boogie) Over doing anything can really screw you in the arse...and it screwed those boys that night.

It's the same thing when guys try to get EVH's old brown sound and they crank the fuck out of the bass. If they would go back and really listen they would see that there really isn't a lot of low end in Eddie's old tone.

ELVIS
03-04-2006, 01:44 AM
LMAO!

I do sound for the youth worship team in church and I always turn their distortion WAY down...

BrownSound1
03-04-2006, 02:23 AM
Well I'm not a big fan of high gain amps anyway, because they usually turn into a buzzy mess before it's all said and done.

sagebrush
03-04-2006, 02:29 AM
Thanks im going to try having hem drop the 1 15 cab and the effects if it don't work his ass is gone ! I would love to play with out his ass yelling in my ear '' i cant hear shit '' . The sound man is a friend of his but hes gone now i called a friend to do sound and now i need a bass player that can go from sabbath to slayer .

ELVIS
03-04-2006, 03:48 AM
Too bad I can't come...

I could pull it off...:D