PDA

View Full Version : Pay Off Debt, Homeland Security May Visit

LoungeMachine
03-04-2006, 12:28 AM
PAY A DEBT, SET OFF ALARMS
Friday, March 03, 2006 - FreeMarketNews.com

If you suddenly liquidate your debts, pay off your credit cards, and return to a cash-only life, be prepared for a visit from Homeland Security - at least that's the lesson of Walter Soehnge. According to a story in the Providence Journal, Soehnge, a retired Texas schoolteacher, migrated north to Providence with his wife. As part of their readjustment, they opted to pay down some debt.

They sent a check for $6,522 to JCPenney Platinum MasterCard to make future payments more manageable - and the alarms went off at DHS. As the story says, "They didn't call a suspected terrorist on their cell phone. They didn't try to sneak a machine gun through customs. They just paid a hefty chunk of their credit card balance. And they learned how frighteningly wide the net of suspicion has been cast."

As it turns out, the Penney's folks were required, under the Bank Privacy Act, to notify DHS about the whole transaction due to the large payment, "[a]nd the money doesn't move until the threat alert is lifted." Walter has contacted TV stations, the ACLU and the reporter of the story; he's also been on the Internet, and reportedly says, "The more I'm on, the scarier it gets. It's scary how easily someone in Homeland Security can get permission to spy."

staff reports - Free-Market News Network

Roy Munson
03-04-2006, 12:42 AM
WTF?

Well, I have never owed on any credit card. All I have is 1 car payment which is done next year and my house payment which is done in 10 years. I'm scared.

FORD
03-04-2006, 12:44 AM
I heard Mike Malloy talking about this today, and I thought I heard him wrong at first.

This is fucking insane. On the other hand, maybe it explains some of the weird shit that's been going on with my credit cards.....

Nickdfresh
03-04-2006, 12:45 AM
I've heard that if you deposit more than $10K into a bank account, a report automatically goes to the Feds (DEA)...

Roy Munson
03-04-2006, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by FORD
I heard Mike Malloy talking about this today, and I thought I heard him wrong at first.

This is fucking insane. On the other hand, maybe it explains some of the weird shit that's been going on with my credit cards.....

As in...:confused:

FORD
03-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I've heard that if you deposit more than $10K into a bank account, a report automatically goes to the Feds (DEA)...

That's true. Basically they jump to the conclusion that you must be a drug dealer to need that much liquid cash.

It is a cash deposit though. I don't think the alarms go off if you give them a cashier's check for $10 grand. You can't even get a new car for that kind of money anymore.

FORD
03-05-2006, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Roy Munson
As in...:confused:

I've had one card barely two months, and its already getting "declined" when I try to use it. Nobody's using it fraudulently or anything like that.

Naturally, the so called "customer service" number has ridiculous hours and you can never reach a human being.

Maybe they don't like the fact that I paid the balance in full?

kentuckyklira
03-05-2006, 06:33 AM
"The land of the free!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Remember that student that actually had agents show up because he borrowed Mao´s "Little Red Book" from his library for some research!

Baby's On Fire
03-05-2006, 06:38 PM

America. Home of the Free.

FORD
03-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
America. Home of the Free.

Don't gloat just yet, my hoser friend..... Your country elected Stephen "Chimpy Lite" Harper, so you ain't out of the woods yourselves.

Yeah, I know.... "minority government" and all that. Just make sure it stays that way, because if those assholes get in control up there, you can expect everything that's happenned in this country in the last 5 1/2 years to happen to you.

And all it takes is one staged terrorist attack to get the ball rolling........

twonabomber
03-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

that goes way back to the organized crime/RICO crackdown.

Big Train
03-06-2006, 01:43 AM
THis may help to explain it. I saw a thing I believe on 20/20 not to long ago where they were saying the Feds are worried about large transactions on debit accounts and credit cards, particularly retail branded cards and gift cards. Essentially, they work everywhere but they aren't like a regular bank account, so there is a fear that it is the new way to launder money. You can add money to accounts, large amounts to "replenish" funds on these cards.

It would seem to me the feds have a general trigger in place for large amounts, say 5K or bigger of tranasctions they feel they need to follow up on. Not defending them, or saying what they are doing is a perfect science, but there a logical reason for it. But I suppose it is too "big brother" for some. Might as well wait until after they buy the parts for the nukes.

DrMaddVibe
03-06-2006, 06:33 AM
Don't gloat just yet, my hoser friend..... Your country elected Stephen "Chimpy Lite" Harper, so you ain't out of the woods yourselves.

Yeah, I know.... "minority government" and all that. Just make sure it stays that way, because if those assholes get in control up there, you can expect everything that's happenned in this country in the last 5 1/2 years to happen to you.

And all it takes is one staged terrorist attack to get the ball rolling........

5 1/2?

to hear you bitch and moan it sounded like it was going to be centuries!

Let's see...he's a "chimp" but yet he can control every facet of the way you think...that would make him brilliant!

Warham
03-06-2006, 07:11 AM
I've sent several checks for over $5K to credit card companies and nothing happened.

I must not be on their terrorist list.

Roy Munson
03-06-2006, 10:30 AM
I've had one card barely two months, and its already getting "declined" when I try to use it. Nobody's using it fraudulently or anything like that.

Naturally, the so called "customer service" number has ridiculous hours and you can never reach a human being.

Maybe they don't like the fact that I paid the balance in full?

How's your credit? I have had a Discover card for many years and I always pay the balance in full and I have never had a problem. Not once.

I also have Visa and MC but don't use them as much. No problems there either.

It almost sounds as if you got your card in a CrackerJack box.

FORD
03-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Roy Munson
How's your credit? I have had a Discover card for many years and I always pay the balance in full and I have never had a problem. Not once.

I also have Visa and MC but don't use them as much. No problems there either.

It almost sounds as if you got your card in a CrackerJack box.

My credit is nearly perfect now, and the credit card/home refinancers/car salesman/etc. never let me forget it. Used to be my junk mail could all go directly to the recycling bin without even being opened. Now I open it, check to see if the offer is better than what I already got, and then shred it if it isn't.

If I'm "guilty" of anything, it's not using enough credit. I might use the plastic to pay for damn near everything, but as long as I pay the tab every month, they don't make the interest.

Hey, the system works for me that way. If it doesn't work for the banks or the BCE, tough shit.

ODShowtime
03-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
5 1/2?

to hear you bitch and moan it sounded like it was going to be centuries!

Let's see...he's a "chimp" but yet he can control every facet of the way you think...that would make him brilliant!

How many times do we have to shoot down that stupid logic for you guys to stop using it?

gw is stupid and incompetent. He's proven it repeatedly and anyone who doesn't concur is themselves mentally deficient.

That doesn't mean his handlers are stupid. That doesn't mean his handlers don't feed him slanted info to send his "decisions" in the direction they want.

Warham
03-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
How many times do we have to shoot down that stupid logic for you guys to stop using it?

gw is stupid and incompetent. He's proven it repeatedly and anyone who doesn't concur is themselves mentally deficient.

That doesn't mean his handlers are stupid. That doesn't mean his handlers don't feed him slanted info to send his "decisions" in the direction they want.

Karl Rove isn't a genius, no matter what you libs here think.

Roy Munson
03-06-2006, 05:35 PM

If I'm "guilty" of anything, it's not using enough credit. I might use the plastic to pay for damn near everything, but as long as I pay the tab every month, they don't make the interest.

That's all I was saying. I do the same. I pay the balance up every month. They make no interest and I am sure the BCE has nothing to do with it. You're just being paranoid again.

BigBadBrian
03-07-2006, 10:10 PM
That's true. Basically they jump to the conclusion that you must be a drug dealer to need that much liquid cash.

It is a cash deposit though. I don't think the alarms go off if you give them a cashier's check for $10 grand. You can't even get a new car for that kind of money anymore.

Not true. My wife used to work at a bank.

Most transactions over 10K that are easily spent, like cash, cashiers checks, certified checks between banks, etc. ARE tracked by the Feds. Been that way for years.

kentuckyklira
03-08-2006, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Why did she lose her job??

http://www.spcservices.com/janitor.gif

ODShowtime
03-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Most transactions over 10K that are easily spent, like cash, cashiers checks, certified checks between banks, etc. ARE tracked by the Feds. Been that way for years.

So let me get this straight. Both Warham and BBB are now so traumatized by gw&friends' actions that they have both reverted to hero worship in the form of ol' Ronnie avatars?

Take a look at yourselves, you guys are in bad shape! :D

FORD
03-08-2006, 01:19 PM
And several ex-Reagan employees are on record as to how much they despise the Chimpministration.

Considering most of those guys were hired by Poppy, that's saying something.

Warham
03-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Reagan was THE man!

:)