PDA

View Full Version : Just Rented War Of The Worlds

Unchainme
03-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Wow, Came in with really low expectations for the movie, It was grate though! I though Tom Cruise would completly ruin it, But he didn't screw it up that badly. Anyone else seen it?

Douglas T.
03-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Good movie .. reminds me of a typical stormy day in FLA when the aliens start blasting themselves into the earth!

Terry
03-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Saw it in the theater.

First twenty minutes were pretty good. Then the thing just kinda dragged on and on. By the time Tim Robbins showed up and they went through that long, boring section in the basement, I lost interest.

Fanning overused that annoying little girl scream within the first 15 minutes of the movie...Cruise was okay in it, far as he goes it was a decent performance.

WOTW was average, IMO. Started off strong then did a slow wind-down, gradually running out of steam.

Cathedral
03-04-2006, 08:50 PM
The original was better, much better, and it was done on less than an 8th of the budget Spielberg had for this one.

My question is this, Why do all families in movies have to be dysfunctional?

The writing sucked, the effects ruled, it was below average for what it cost to make.

Oh, and the ending totally sucked ass, it was a joke how the son, Robby, shows up at the end for the big hug scene.

They should have just offed the little dumb ass as payback for stealing the 'Stang.

Terry
03-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Biggest problem with the ending was that it made it seem like the whole purpose of the aliens coming to earth, and therefore the purpose of the movie, was to make Cruise's character a better father/person in the end. Which is basically the plot of all of Cruise's movies: smug jerk goes through 'soul-searching' ordeal and becomes nice guy/victorious in the end, e.g. All The Right Moves, Top Gun, Far and Away, Born On The 4th Of July, Minority Report, Days Of Thunder, Rain Man, etc.

Cruise was okay in Losin' It, Legend, Risky Business, Color Of Money...or rather, those movies were good despite him being in them. Rest of his stuff is no big deal to me. Guy is a movie star to me, as opposed to an actor.

POJO_Risin
03-04-2006, 10:40 PM
The brother showing up...ugh...

I actually liked the movie up to the point where HE'S the one that starts noticing that the things are dying...

and he notices their shields are down...

I mean...c'mon...

Spielberg copped out at the end...period...

POJO_Risin
03-04-2006, 10:42 PM
7:49 left in the game...

UNC is up 8 points...67-59...

a lot of time left in this game...

ALinChainz
03-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Cat nails it ...

Effects made it watchable ... once ... didn't go to the theatre or buy it on DVD ... PPV'd then burned off TIVO ...

I'll give Cruise's next MI movie a shot ... but otheriwse, not a fan ...

ALinChainz
03-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Terry too ...

movie star perhaps .... actor ... nah ...

Cathedral
03-05-2006, 01:26 AM
The "Making Of" shit on the DVD was just as interesting if not more than the actual feature film.

I normally don't watch that stuff but when i showed it to the residents at the nursing home on movie night a few of the older folk requested it so they wouldn't have to go back to their rooms right away.

Just wait until i take Evil Dead in there, lol....That shit will freak them out.

bueno bob
03-05-2006, 02:59 AM
"LINDA!!!!"

:D

Call me when you do that...I wanna see that reaction...lmao

Hardrock69
03-05-2006, 04:23 AM
LAFF MY FUCKING ASS OFFF!!!

No shit...I wanna hear about this!!!

I refuse to even buy the DVD.

The reason? The week it was released, they also released a killer version of the 1953 version! I walked into Tower, and saw them side by side. It was a no brainer.

They have a kickass documentary also on the making of the original film, with interviews with all of the original cast, lotsa behind the scenes shit.

Dammit...those alien ships were made out of copper...and looked really cool....but after the film was done shooting...eventually some people came around on a scrap metal drive or some such shit, and so some fucking idiot at the movie studio tossed them out...

:mad:

I saw the Spielberg version at the theater.

I agree...the first part of the film is a trip, but the story sucked ass.

Too much of a fucking deviation from the REAL fucking story.

You know, Tom Cruise has made some decent movies, but ya know what?

He is the weak link in ALL of them.

He is a paper actor that just happens to be a handsome dude and can follow direction really well.

But I cannot think of a single film where he showed any true acting ability.

bueno bob
03-05-2006, 04:53 AM
True dat...

DeadOrAlive
03-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Ehhh that pansy Cruise ruins everything he is involved with

Cathedral
03-06-2006, 03:33 AM
I picked up the Evil Dead DVD today and i'm waiting for the approval to show it.

Maybe this Friday or next, i think i'll sneak in the camcorder and get some reactions on video.

I'm known as the Movie Guy, lol.

I showed them the unedited version of Smokey and the Bandit awhile back and people were walking around quoting Jackie Gleason for a few days, You Sum Bitch!

The only problem may be since there was a murder at another home for mentally retarded people recently, they may not want something so graphic being shown.
There is a resident there that is the cousin of the guy who was strangled to death with a belt.

We'll see i reckon, I don't want to create a problem by giving any of them ideas, know what i mean?

I haven't seen the 50's version of WOTW's on DVD yet, but it's a must grab for the collection.

Hardrock69
03-06-2006, 03:37 PM
No shit man. You will dig it.