PDA

View Full Version : Least favorite Zeppelin tune.

Mr. Vengeance
03-07-2006, 06:26 PM
I would imagine Stairway to Heaven would get a lot of votes so I eliminate that right away.

I did a search and couldn't find a similar thread to this.

I was driving around, listening to my Sirius radio today and D'Yer Mak'er came on and I thought to myself- "Self.....I have to say that of all the Zep catalogue..this tune is the one that does the least for me." A lot of people absolutely love it, but I really can't see why.

So...throw out your least favorite and why.

I find D'yer Mak'er to have that GAY AS HELL "oh oh oh, oh ohh ohhhhhh" part. Ugh! Not to mention I find it to be a horrid end song to an otherwise fantastic Zep album.

Alex Mogilny
03-07-2006, 06:31 PM
fool in the rain, hot dog, all of my love.

Mr. Vengeance
03-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Alex Mogilny
fool in the rain, hot dog, all of my love.

Obviously not a fan of In Through the Out Door....

I personally love Fool in the Rain for the fuzztone solo and All of My Love is beautiful. I can see Hot Dog though...I never dug that tune much at all.

Do you have any reasons why you dislike these tunes?

fe_lung
03-07-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm going to have to go with all of them. Never a Zep fan

katie
03-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Ho Dog

What were they thinking!

Alex Mogilny
03-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Obviously not a fan of In Through the Out Door....

I personally love Fool in the Rain for the fuzztone solo and All of My Love is beautiful. I can see Hot Dog though...I never dug that tune much at all.

Do you have any reasons why you dislike these tunes?

Just dissapointing....you can really hear the absence of Jimmy on this album.

bobgnote
03-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Jimmy was absent after Led Zeppelin I.

You who believed in THAT junky have not been out in nature, feeding critters, LISTENING. You have NO HOPE.

Surveillance in the 70s like that going on today put up all those tunes in the corporate overproducers' bin.

You've been slamming flipped tunes, and GET A HAIRCUT, since that doesn't help you play better, it only leaves you trying not to trip and fall on your face, get buggered, etc.

OfficerJimmy
03-07-2006, 07:49 PM
I would imagine Stairway to Heaven would get a lot of votes so I eliminate that right away.

I did a search and couldn't find a similar thread to this.

I was driving around, listening to my Sirius radio today and D'Yer Mak'er came on and I thought to myself- "Self.....I have to say that of all the Zep catalogue..this tune is the one that does the least for me." A lot of people absolutely love it, but I really can't see why.

So...throw out your least favorite and why.

I find D'yer Mak'er to have that GAY AS HELL "oh oh oh, oh ohh ohhhhhh" part. Ugh! Not to mention I find it to be a horrid end song to an otherwise fantastic Zep album.

I think D'yer Maker is a great song, as is Hot Dog. They're not supposed to be masterpieces, they're just supposed to be funny filler and they are.

The ocean is the last track of HOTH, anyway, D'yer maker is track 6.

I memorized that album.

Mr. Vengeance
03-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Unfortunately...my copy is a cassette and they obviously changed the song sequence to have both sides approximately the same length...

Still, don't like it any more.

And...do you HAVE a submission???

Mr. Vengeance
03-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by bobgnote

You who believed in THAT junky have not been out in nature, feeding critters, LISTENING. You have NO HOPE.

Surveillance in the 70s like that going on today put up all those tunes in the corporate overproducers' bin.

You've been slamming flipped tunes, and GET A HAIRCUT, since that doesn't help you play better, it only leaves you trying not to trip and fall on your face, get buggered, etc.

At what point did you lose the fact that this thread is asking about your least fav. Zep track??? NO ONE CARES about your opinion of the band...just give us a fucking tune...

Alex Mogilny
03-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by bobgnote

You're a fucking idiot.....Presence is ALL Jimmy.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
03-07-2006, 09:48 PM
"Immigrant Song". I know it's an important song in their catalog, a monster riff, a killer performance by the band, and when I was 14 I probably shouted out Plant's scream in the intro more times than I care to count. But it really is Zep at their STOOPIDEST.

Besides, it doesn't really sit well with the rest of Zep III. Totally different vibe.

p.s. D'Yer Mak'Er ranks high up on Zep tunes I never want to hear again too. Come to think of it, "Moby Dick" probably ranks the highest. Always hated drum solos. Charlie Watts Forever!!!

Terry
03-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Never really a big fan of South Bound Saurez.

Hot Dog is as close to throwaway as Zep got. Leaving that tune off In Through The Out Door and replacing it with Wearing And Tearing would have been a better move.

Kinda agree on All My Love, too. With this track, it's not so much on the list because it's subpar, like SBS and HD, but just a little too soft for my tastes...plus it's way overplayed. You'd think Fool In The Rain and All My Love were the only two fucking tracks on ITTOD from what gets radio play. Yeah, Pagey didn't really throw himself into that album, guitar-wise. Then again, ITTOD has always been a Jones/Plant Zep album to me. Pretty much the only stuff I listen to on that now are In The Evening, Carouselambra and I'm Gonna Crawl.

I love Presence, but find myself skipping over Candy Store Rock, Tea For One (which is a little too close to Since I've Been Loving You for my liking, particularly since I've never been that hot over THAt track either, although not quite cool enough on it to say it was one of my least favorites) and sometimes For Your Life, as well.

In The Light is kind of tiresome to listen to these days...feel like I'm being a heretic here, since LZ is one of my all-time fave bands and PG is one of the best albums every from ANY group, IMO.

Was never that fond of Thank You or Your Time Is Gonna come, either.

D'Yer Maker is the weakest track on HOTH, and definitely a way overplayed track far as radio and that album goes.

vheddyrmv8
03-07-2006, 10:06 PM
The Crunge, The Battle Of Evermore, and pretty much all of Led Zeppelin III, that album didn't do much for me.

Mr. Vengeance
03-07-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm always shocked when people don't like Fool in the Rain....I think it's got one of THE understated guitar solos in rock history.

Alex Mogilny
03-07-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm always shocked when people don't like Fool in the Rain....I think it's got one of THE understated guitar solos in rock history.

It's what's around the solo that gets me. Or should I say: doesn't get me!

Alex Mogilny
03-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Never really a big fan of South Bound Saurez.

Hot Dog is as close to throwaway as Zep got. Leaving that tune off In Through The Out Door and replacing it with Wearing And Tearing would have been a better move.

Kinda agree on All My Love, too. With this track, it's not so much on the list because it's subpar, like SBS and HD, but just a little too soft for my tastes...plus it's way overplayed. You'd think Fool In The Rain and All My Love were the only two fucking tracks on ITTOD from what gets radio play. Yeah, Pagey didn't really throw himself into that album, guitar-wise. Then again, ITTOD has always been a Jones/Plant Zep album to me. Pretty much the only stuff I listen to on that now are In The Evening, Carouselambra and I'm Gonna Crawl.

I love Presence, but find myself skipping over Candy Store Rock, Tea For One (which is a little too close to Since I've Been Loving You for my liking, particularly since I've never been that hot over THAt track either, although not quite cool enough on it to say it was one of my least favorites) and sometimes For Your Life, as well.

In The Light is kind of tiresome to listen to these days...feel like I'm being a heretic here, since LZ is one of my all-time fave bands and PG is one of the best albums every from ANY group, IMO.

Was never that fond of Thank You or Your Time Is Gonna come, either.

D'Yer Maker is the weakest track on HOTH, and definitely a way overplayed track far as radio and that album goes.

You just gave me an idea for the next show in the boot of the month club....the guys need to thank you...i was seriously gonna find a waborita show and send it out.....now i'm gonna send out a kick ass 1975 Zep show.

Matt White
03-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Never liked YOUR TIME IS GONNA COME off ZEP I...

BORING comes to mind....

I like aboot every other Zep tune...some more than others...but all of the rest are "Bueno"

Julius
03-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Misty Mountain Hop.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Rikk
03-08-2006, 02:18 PM
At what point did you lose the fact that this thread is asking about your least fav. Zep track??? NO ONE CARES about your opinion of the band...just give us a fucking tune...

Gee, I seem to remember you trying to sabotage every NIRVANA thread in a similar manner, numnuts.

That said, I also love Zeppelin and don't understand people jumping in here to bitch about them. Kind of redundant. This is a thread for least favorite song...not "Do you hate Zep?"

My least-favorite? HATS OFF TO ROY HARPER, the studio MOBY DICK does nothing for me, D'YER MAKER.

By the way, I really like IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR and PRESENCE is my favorite Zeppelin album.

Jérôme Frenchise
03-08-2006, 02:34 PM
"All my love" was unduely mentioned IMO: Robert sang for his dead little son, didn't he?

It would be easy to quote from "In through the out door", but I won't.
I'll say "THAT'S THE WAY", on Led Zeppelin III which is one of my four faves though. It's a beautiful song, yet it lingers so much IMO that I skip it almost every time.
It would sure be easier listening with a chick in my arms, but I've never played Led Zeppelin under these circumstances.
"DOWN BY THE SEASIDE" gets on my nerves too. So limp, even if I realize that it's great quality (LZ... sure the greatest rock band that has ever been, by so far).
:cool:

bueno bob
03-08-2006, 02:42 PM
D'Yer M'aker...barf...

BruinJer
03-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Let's see... anything from the album Coda.

Hot Dog is pretty bad song.

Jérôme Frenchise
03-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by BruinJer
Let's see... anything from the album Coda.

"Coda" isn't an album but a compilation gathering live and studio outtakes.
"Anything"? Would you throw out the dazzling "I can't quit you baby", the paroxystic (that says a fucking lot as Far as Led Zeppelin) "We're gonna groove" or the most amazing "Wearing and tearing"?? I can't believe you. :cool:

Terry
03-08-2006, 03:56 PM
You just gave me an idea for the next show in the boot of the month club....the guys need to thank you...i was seriously gonna find a waborita show and send it out.....now i'm gonna send out a kick ass 1975 Zep show.

Is it gonna be Earl's Court 1975?

Terry
03-08-2006, 03:59 PM

The solo sounds like some kinda Steely Dan outtake...

Page does do a little whizzing around the fretboard on it, but the whole split octave/fuzz tone thing has always kinda irked me...

...not so much what he was playing as opposed to how goddamnawful it sounded

Jérôme Frenchise
03-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Is it gonna be Earl's Court 1975?

Or Dallas, in May in the same year? Awesome concert as well.

OfficerJimmy
03-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately...my copy is a cassette and they obviously changed the song sequence to have both sides approximately the same length...

Still, don't like it any more.

And...do you HAVE a submission???

Ah shit sorry. Battle of Evermore probably

ALinChainz
03-08-2006, 04:39 PM
The Crunge off HOUSE OF THE HOLY ...

"Where's that confounded bridge?"

Always hated it.

Mr. Vengeance
03-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
Gee, I seem to remember you trying to sabotage every NIRVANA thread in a similar manner, numnuts.

That said, I also love Zeppelin and don't understand people jumping in here to bitch about them. Kind of redundant. This is a thread for least favorite song...not "Do you hate Zep?"

My least-favorite? HATS OFF TO ROY HARPER, the studio MOBY DICK does nothing for me, D'YER MAKER.

By the way, I really like IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR and PRESENCE is my favorite Zeppelin album.

Noooo, I jump into Nirvana threads. And when someone posts that Nirvana are the modern Beatles, I tend to have something to say about that shit. If someone asked my favorite Nirvana song, I'd give it. If someone wants to make Nirvana out to be gods, I have something to say about it, numbnuts.

Terry
03-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
The Crunge off HOUSE OF THE HOLY ...

"Where's that confounded bridge?"

Always hated it.

Yeah, never really warmed up to that one, either.

Liked what Bonham and Jones did for the intro, but not so much Page and Plant with the rest of it.

Mr Badguy
03-08-2006, 04:57 PM
"Boogie with Stu" - What is that stupid percussion insturument that sounds like someone skipping rope in the corner? The only shit idea on PG.

"D`yer Mak`er" - Bad parody of reggae or just bad reggae? Either way it sucks.

The "Moby Dick/Bonzo`s Montreaux" amalgamation from the first box set - I thought Jimmy Page was off the drugs by 1990. These two songs do not fit together.

Rikk
03-08-2006, 06:58 PM
BOOGIE WITH STU does indeed suck.

Big Troubles
03-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Boogie with Stu & Hey Hey (what can i do?) really blow.

blueturk
03-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Anything from "The Song Remains The Same". One of the worst officially released live albums of all time.

Mr. Vengeance
03-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
Anything from "The Song Remains The Same". One of the worst officially released live albums of all time.

I agree. I always though Zep sucked live back then. They couldn't recreate the studio stuff back then. Jimmy was strung out and could hardly play.

Alex Mogilny
03-08-2006, 09:30 PM
I agree. I always though Zep sucked live back then. They couldn't recreate the studio stuff back then. Jimmy was strung out and could hardly play.

Dude...that album was recorded in 1973.

blueturk
03-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Dude...that album was recorded in 1973.

And your point is...?

Terry
03-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Song Remains The Same was just a series of weak gigs at the MSG. Only reason it even came out was because of Plant's car accident, and they had the footage to go along with it...

...yeah, it does pretty much suck. Plant can't get it up, Page transitions from competence to fumble-fingered ineptitude...Jones and Bonham were solid enough...

Led Zep live from 69 to 71 were consitent and excellent. From 1972 onward, they were hit or miss at times in concert. Especially the 1977 tour.

Alex Mogilny
03-08-2006, 10:14 PM
And your point is...?

'73 was one of the best tours...especially the european leg.

JP just fucked up the mastering of the tapes. THAT is why it sounds bad.

bueno bob
03-09-2006, 03:05 AM
Now that I think about it, The Battle of Evermore kinda blows, too...Zep's a grate band to listen to until they diverge into Lord of the Rings bullshit...then it starts wearing a bit thin on me...

FORD
03-09-2006, 04:16 AM
It's gotta be "Carouselambra" or whatever the fuck it's called on In Through The Out Door.

If that song isn't fucking DISCO, it's closer than Led Zeppelin should ever be allowed to get to there.

blueturk
03-09-2006, 06:17 AM
'73 was one of the best tours...especially the european leg.

JP just fucked up the mastering of the tapes. THAT is why it sounds bad.

No amount of studio wizardry could make "The Song Remains The Same" sound good. They were playing like shit.

Mr Badguy
03-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by FORD
It's gotta be "Carouselambra" or whatever the fuck it's called on In Through The Out Door.

If that song isn't fucking DISCO, it's closer than Led Zeppelin should ever be allowed to get to there.

I can`t agree with that one, FORD.

Apart from the muddy mix and not being able to make out what Robert Plant is singing about (post the lyrics if you`ve got `em), I think "Carouselambra" is one of the high points of "ITTOD".

It showed they could still stretch out and try something different and I find it a worthwhile musical journey.

Pretty much everything else on "ITTOD" borrows from other musical styles which they had done before while "Carouselambra" and "In the evening" bring something new to the table.

Alex Mogilny
03-09-2006, 07:51 AM
No amount of studio wizardry could make "The Song Remains The Same" sound good. They were playing like shit.

I disagree....

If you watch the same footage from How The West Was Won, you can see that they were in top form.

Mr. Vengeance
03-09-2006, 09:57 AM
I disagree....

If you watch the same footage from How The West Was Won, you can see that they were in top form.

SRTS, HTWWW, any Zep live from the 70's all sounds bad to me. They were a fantastic studio band and very boring live. Listen to the crowd in those shows...they're either drugged out of their minds to the point of not being able to stand, or they are bored to death.

Alex Mogilny
03-09-2006, 10:30 AM
SRTS, HTWWW, any Zep live from the 70's all sounds bad to me. They were a fantastic studio band and very boring live. Listen to the crowd in those shows...they're either drugged out of their minds to the point of not being able to stand, or they are bored to death.

I really, really disagree....you need to listen to some audience bootlegs. The crowds...especially in the US were quite rowdy.

I prefer Zeppelin live to their studio stuff any day of the week.

DlocRoth
03-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Candy Store Rock is not so good.

And whoever said earlier that For Your Life is weak, is crazy.

FORD
03-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
I can`t agree with that one, FORD.

Apart from the muddy mix and not being able to make out what Robert Plant is singing about (post the lyrics if you`ve got `em), I think "Carouselambra" is one of the high points of "ITTOD".

From www.led-zeppelin.com, so they should be accurate....
Carouselambra
(Jones/Page/Plant)

Sisters of the way-side bide their time in quiet peace,
Await their place within the ring of calm;
Still stand to turn in seconds of release,
Await the call they know may never come.
In times of lightness, no intruder dared upon
To jeopardize the course, upset the run;
And all was joy and hands were raised toward the sun
As love in the halls of plenty overrun.

Still in their bliss unchallenged mighty feast,
Unending dances shadowed on the day.
Within their walls, their daunting formless keep,
Preserved their joy and kept their doubts at bay.
Faceless legions stood in readiness to weep,
Just turn a coin, bring order to the fray;
And everything is soon no sooner thought than deed,
But no one seemed to question in anyway.

How keen the storied hunter's eye prevails upon the land
To seek the unsuspecting and the weak;
And powerless the fabled sat, too smug to lift a hand
Toward the foe that threatened from the deep.
Who cares to dry the cheeks of those who saddened stand
Adrift upon a sea of futile speech?
And to fall to fate and make the 'status plan'
Where was your word, where did you go?
Where was your helping, where was your bow? Bow.
Dull is the armour, cold is the day.
Hard was the journey, dark was the way. Way.
I heard the word; I couldn't stay. Oh.
I couldn't stand it another day, another day,
Another day, another day.

Touched by the timely coming,
Roused from the keeper's sleep,
Release the grip, throw down the key.

Held now within the knowing,
Rest now within the peace.
Take of the fruit, but guard the seed.

They had to stay!

Held now within the knowing,
Rest now within the beat.
Take of the fruit, but guard the seed...

It showed they could still stretch out and try something different and I find it a worthwhile musical journey.

Pretty much everything else on "ITTOD" borrows from other musical styles which they had done before while "Carouselambra" and "In the evening" bring something new to the table.

Some would say the same about "Hot Dog", but most people seem to hate that one. They hadn't done antyhing so blatantly Nashville before that. Maybe Carouselambra wouldn't have been so bad if it was a 3 minute song, but a 10 minute disco song is just a little much.

Always did like "In The Evening" though.

DeadOrAlive
03-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Bon-Y-Aur never made the cut for me. Neither did Moby Dick. Drum solos that long just suck. No matter who you are.

Golden AWe
03-14-2006, 05:38 AM
anything by WHITESNAKE :)

Mr. Vengeance
03-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
anything by WHITESNAKE :)

HA! I loved it when Robert Plant came out with the David Cover-band blast!!!

Alex Mogilny
03-14-2006, 10:46 AM
HA! I loved it when Robert Plant came out with the David Cover-band blast!!!

That and when he called him David Cover-version