PDA

View Full Version : Any Cult Fans?

The_KiD
03-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Just acquired some tickets to the SOLD OUT Show in DC (930 CLUB) March 24th. In college I think I wore out my copies of "LOVE" and "ELECTRIC". (Yes I am old)

I have seen a few setlists floating around and it looks like a great show. They are apparently doing an acoustic version of "Edie" which is just stellar...

Anyone else caught them on this tour?

KiD

mako_kimura
03-11-2006, 05:36 PM
I am indeed a Cult fan. My two favorite songs are Love Removal Machine and She Sells Sanctuary.

sagebrush
03-12-2006, 12:19 AM
The cult is a killer band ! I think it was in 86 - 87 they were with white snake and they were the show ! It was a non stop rock and roll show till they left the stage ! Love removal machine is just one of those songs that just gets you pumped up when you hear it . Does anyone have anything from when they were '' southern death cult '' ?

Jérôme Frenchise
03-12-2006, 09:04 AM
The Cult are one of my top fave bands. I've got all their albums on CDs, from "Dreamtime" to "Beyond Good & Evil".
The one I dig most is "Electric", then comes "The Cult" ("goat's head"), then "Ceremony" and "Sonic Temple" (ex-aequo).

Since I got the "Music Without Fear" 2001 DVD and Astbury had the band split to commit the "Doors of the 21st Century Crap", I think the singer is a certified asshole, though his studio vocals are really great (on stage, er, ahem! :rolleyes: ).
But I'm glad Billy Duffy hasn't got as big an ego for starting a tour again, because how many would have told Astbury to fuck off? That said, there must have been an agreement between them, of course.
I wonder who are the bassist and the drummer now. Matt Sorum wasn't going to be part of it if I remember well. And what about Billy Morrisson, who played great bass and happened to be excellent on backing vocals (keeping the right key where Astbury sucked)?
Besides, I suppose there's a new album coming. Cool... :cool:

PHOENIX
03-14-2006, 10:37 AM
My whole style back then was based around their Sonic Temple image. Great times indeed.

BruinJer
03-14-2006, 10:40 AM
I love the Cult... Electric is one of the most ROCKIN' CD's EVER. From begining to end it's a rocker.

amadeus
03-14-2006, 10:40 AM
She Sells Sanctuary and Edie (Ciao Baby)!!!!

shaggydoo
03-15-2006, 05:56 AM
"Electric" was an awesome rock'n album! The Cult were at the top of their game back then. I just bought a replacement copy of that CD about 6 months ago. Videos from that era were awesome too!

"Love" has it's moments but I find it very melancholy, not something I want to listen to very often. "Sonic temple" was my second favourite from the Cult, but it's not anywhere near as good as "Electric" imho.

What was the one with no other title, "The Cult"? Didn't like that one but my copy came with a live CD included which was more than worth the money.

So who's in this current tour version of the band? Any boots leaking out?

BruinJer
03-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by shaggydoo
"Electric" was an awesome rock'n album! The Cult were at the top of their game back then. I just bought a replacement copy of that CD about 6 months ago. Videos from that era were awesome too!

"Love" has it's moments but I find it very melancholy, not something I want to listen to very often. "Sonic temple" was my second favourite from the Cult, but it's not anywhere near as good as "Electric" imho.

YOu know... I have never been able to get into Sonic Temple (for some reason). I'm gonna have to listen to it again... I also need a replacement copy of Electric... it's been played so much... and abused... it's scratched.

shaggydoo
03-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by BruinJer
YOu know... I have never been able to get into Sonic Temple (for some reason). I'm gonna have to listen to it again... I also need a replacement copy of Electric... it's been played so much... and abused... it's scratched.

"Sonic Temple" sounds to me like they tried to be more commercial without sounding like they sold out, if that make sense! But for me it also sounded like a big departure from "Electric" which was where it was at for me.

Anyone know any bands playing today sound like "Electric"?

sammysucks65
03-17-2006, 05:50 PM
billy duffy played with the violence of punk but the soul of alternative, and he made the gretsh white falcon a kickass guitar.

she sells santuary and fire woman are classics

Mr. Vengeance
03-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Jesus!!! when they went from that Love-era look and sound, which was okay, to that Electric album...holy shit!!!! That Electric album was a riff paradise! On a level with the Stones and AC/DC in terms of pure riffola!!! They kicked ass!

shaggydoo
03-18-2006, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by sammysucks65
... he made the gretsh white falcon a kickass guitar...

Gretsch White Falcon is a sexy lookin' guitar but did Duffy really use it on the recordings? I think he used Les Pauls, the Gretsch was just for show, but don't know for sure about that! By the way, do I have my guitar history right, Gretsch White Falcon were the most expensive production line model ever made?

Nickdfresh
06-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Going to see 'em this Thursday if all goes well...

sadaist
06-03-2012, 01:42 PM

I saw them on the Sonic Temple tour. OMFG what a show. One of the best of my life. They brought the house down, I forced my way up to 2nd row, and at one point some hot chick grabbed me & started making out with me. AWESOME! Man I miss those days of great concerts.

Have fun Nick. Let us know how it was.

twonabomber
06-03-2012, 01:52 PM
saw 'em open for Billy Idol in '87. i was already a fan, dug Love Removal Machine from the first time i saw the video.

they did a Guitar Center Sessions show on DirecTV last year, that was good too. it may be one of the On Demand offerings now.

binnie
06-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Picked up the new record yesterday, and I've got high hopes for it.

No-one sounds like The Cult - 'Sonic Temple' and 'Love' were deadly, deadly rock 'n' roll records. I dig 'Electric' too, but I've always prefered The Cult at their most expansive....

Jérôme Frenchise
06-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Picked up the new record yesterday, and I've got high hopes for it.

No-one sounds like The Cult - 'Sonic Temple' and 'Love' were deadly, deadly rock 'n' roll records. I dig 'Electric' too, but I've always prefered The Cult at their most expansive....

Picked up "Choice of Weapon" too, last Saturday. I wasn't disappointed with it, wasn't overwhelmed either.
It's better than the last one, pretty close to "Sonic Temple", still powerful but it seems they've achieved their thing for a long time...

I guess this new album will get little by little, listening after listening...

My fave album is still "Electric", then "The Cult" (1994), "Ceremony" and "Sonic Temple" - got all the albums and a few boots.

Ian Astbury has grown cooler, as it seems in the recent videos from current tour - he's no longer the weirdo he used to be during
the "Beyond Good and Evil" tour in 2001/2002.

Jérôme Frenchise
06-04-2012, 12:42 PM

I hope it will, so that you report about it. Enjoy, it Nick!

Here's "Love Removal Machine", from the current tour:

Mr. Vengeance
06-04-2012, 05:31 PM
I grabbed the new album and it was kind of "meh". Not nearly their best.

Nickdfresh
12-07-2013, 11:07 AM
I hope it will, so that you report about it. Enjoy, it Nick!

Here's "Love Removal Machine", from the current tour:

Going to see them again this Thursday, if all goes well. :)

Jérôme Frenchise
12-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Going to see them again this Thursday, if all goes well. :)

:D Well, don't forget to report about the gig this time! Enjoy!

Nickdfresh
12-07-2013, 12:47 PM
They're playing the Electric album in its entirety... :)

Jérôme Frenchise
12-07-2013, 01:43 PM
They're playing the Electric album in its entirety... :)

Lucky you!! It's my fave.

1) Electric
2) The Cult ('94)
3) Sonic Temple
4) Ceremony
5) Love
6) Beyond Good & Evil

(I haven't listened to the last two albums enough to have enough of an opinion)

vandeleur
12-07-2013, 03:09 PM
I have a cult story , I used to see lots of "punk bands" and seen the the cult when they were the death cult and the night the did the tv show the tube they announced on stage at Newcastle they were changing their name to the cult . Them were the days :)

DONNIEP
12-07-2013, 03:25 PM
In the toon for a broon and a tab!

cadaverdog
12-07-2013, 08:28 PM
I forgot about "The Cult". I thought this was a BOC thread. Nevermind.

Kristy
12-08-2013, 04:20 AM
(Yes I am old)

And boring judging by your musical taste.

binnie
12-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Never sure why people prefer 'Electric' over 'Love' or 'Sonic Temple'. I always found The Cult most mesmerising at their most cinematic...........