PDA

View Full Version : More ranting from John Lydon

fryingdutchman
03-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Sex Pistol Lydon Bashes Harassing Fans
By Associated Press
Sat Mar 11, 3:14 PM

Since there's already a Sex Pistols thread in this forum, in which they rail against the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame, I thought I'd throw in this little nugget hot off the wire....

LOS ANGELES - Sex Pistols lead singer John Lydon says harassing fans, such as those who threw bottles at the band at a Danish music festival, are "the very people we hate the most."

Lydon, known as Johnny Rotten in the iconic British '70s punk band, also panned animal activists and the anti-abortion movement during his appearance Friday on bandmate Steve Jones' radio show, called "Jonesy's Jukebox."

"We're Sex Pistols; we ain't fake," said Lydon, reminiscent of the band's snarling late bassist, Sid Vicious.

"And we don't care," Jones replied.

Later on, Lydon reflected on the band's heyday, quick breakup and 1996 world reunion tour, but said he couldn't do it again, citing stage fright and infighting.

"I miss the Sex Pistols. I miss the lot of you," he said. "But if anybody thinks it's a jolly good wheeze, it's not. It's hard work."

So, how is it "news" that the Sex Pistols don't like fans who throw things?

I don't think many bands do...

:rolleyes:

Terry
03-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Lydon bitching and complaining is part of his persona, but after 30-odd years of it, it's gotten to the point where few even bother to pay attention anymore

rustoffa
03-12-2006, 08:32 PM
I remember reading some quote from Joni Mitchell regarding meeting Lydon in the Pistols' heyday. Some shit about him seeming really introspective and loving fashion.

He's never gotten over McClaren exploiting his public image.

The Damned were the first British Punk outfit, and never got exploited. They created fucking Goth...just to piss the genre off.

Rat Scabies would emplore the fans to throw shit, and then go beat the living fuck out of them...occasionally members of his own band as well.

I can't wait 'til they induct The Damned into the HOF....Captain Sensible will gladly accept in a gorilla suit.

mako_kimura
03-12-2006, 11:14 PM
This is the same dipshit who was "utterly offended" over being inducted along with Black Sabbath, Skynrd, Miles Davis, and Blondie. I just think he's losing his marbles

Redballjets88
03-13-2006, 12:03 AM
sex pistols in general are /were fakes

FORD
03-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Guess you had to be there to get it......

Nickdfresh
03-13-2006, 12:04 PM
I like the PISTOLs...

To say they were fakes is a dramatic over-simplification.

The SEX PISTOLs did embellish certain aspects and were huge on the backs of bands like the RAMONES. But no one can deny that the Pistols were influential...

And LYDON is very smart...

Terry
03-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Personally, just never saw the big deal with the Pistols. They weren't the first punk band, weren't the most violent, didn't have the best songs of any punk band ever IMO...John Ritchie aka Vicious was a drug addled doofus...the LA punk scene was way more hardcore than the Brits...

Johnny Rotten is a media-hyped footnote at best, but PIL did some good shit.

FORD
03-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Ironically, PiL's best album is probably the one that's the furthest from Johnny's punk roots as imaginable........

http://www.ginger-baker.com/Images/LPs/GB_PIL_album_big.jpg

The cover might have been a parody of the "generic" marketing common in grocery stores at the time, but the musicians on the record were anything but.

Steve Vai on guitar and Ginger Baker on drums. Not exactly a punk band.

fryingdutchman
03-14-2006, 04:47 AM
I was really into PiL during my college years.

Was in the front row for one of their shows at the Tower Theater in Philly. (For those of you from around these parts who know the venue....it was pretty cool.)

A girlfriend of mine tried to untie one of Johnny's sneakers while he was at the edge of the stage.

He just looked down and wagged his finger "no" at her.

I remember hoping that Johnny would go all Sex Pistols on her and spit or piss on her instead.

She had pissed me off that night...so I wasn't in a great mood....