PDA

View Full Version : Did you know....?

Cathedral
03-12-2006, 05:42 PM
I stopped in at the new local Speedway last night to pick up a 6-pack of beer and in order to buy it my driver license had to be scanned.

Tha's right, the bar code on my license had to be scanned in order to prove i was of age...this procedure has to be done in order for the sale to complete.

Big Brother is really getting nosey ain't he?
It begs the question, what other info is being collected below the suface?

Am i a terrorist because i drink Michelob from time to time?

Has this practice reached your town yet?

I don't like it, it's just one step away from being branded at birth with a bar code.

Lqskdiver
03-12-2006, 05:47 PM
My guess is it ruins the possibility of a minor purchasing the beer.

Ahh, the good old days when we could walk into any store and purchase beer at the age of 17, so long as you were sporting a mustache.

A lot of you kids in here prolly missed out on a lot of action due to not being able to produe any party favors.

:D

FORD
03-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Another legal application of the technology could be, if a policeman pulls over a suspected drunk driver , runs the plate and/or the drivers license and is cross referenced to a database which says that you indeed DID purchase a 6 pack of Michelob an hour earlier.

Of course the same technology which could be used in this arguably beneficial way could just as easily be used for evil. And eventually will be.

FORD
03-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Lqskdiver
My guess is it ruins the possibility of a minor purchasing the beer.

Ahh, the good old days when we could walk into any store and purchase beer at the age of 17, so long as you were sporting a mustache.

A lot of you kids in here prolly missed out on a lot of action due to not being able to produe any party favors.

:D

I got carded more for beer after my 21st birthday than I ever did before. In the same stores, too. Just happenned to be right about the time that they started cracking down on sales to minors.

Cathedral
03-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Another legal application of the technology could be, if a policeman pulls over a suspected drunk driver , runs the plate and/or the drivers license and is cross referenced to a database which says that you indeed DID purchase a 6 pack of Michelob an hour earlier.

Of course the same technology which could be used in this arguably beneficial way could just as easily be used for evil. And eventually will be.

It already has, i'm sure...

I am not comfortable having my id scanned by poeple who are paid less than minimum wage.
I had a credit card number stolen and used by an Arby's employee several years ago, so this makes me even more nervous being that our social security numbers are on our id's.

Looking at it real fast is one thing, scanning it so you can copy info from a reciept later bothers me.
Especially since i don't actually know what information is being collected.

I got a little pissed when that bitch asked for my ID and then just whisked it through the register as if it was no big deal...it was a big deal to me.

Julius
03-13-2006, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I stopped in at the new local Speedway last night to pick up a 6-pack of beer and in order to buy it my driver license had to be scanned.

Same thing happened to me on Saturday when I picked up a sixer and a pack of fags. Cashier told me it was company policy, and soon would be a requirement under Colorado state law.

Didn't think much of it until this thread though. Now I'm a little pissed off.

Nickdfresh
03-13-2006, 04:46 AM
You know, there were a lot of voices wondering whether things such as New York's E-Z Pass could be used to track movements while paying tolls. For that reason, I objected to it at first. But it's so damn convenient I just have forgotten.

http://www.notbored.org/EZ-Pass.jpg

Warham
03-13-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm not worried about it.

I have e-z pass, and I also pay with many things using my debit card.

Track me all you want, Uncle Sam!

diamondD
03-13-2006, 08:24 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why I get over $20 off for using my grocer's loyalty card, just so they can track my buying patterns. Is it worth that much per trip just to have that info?

FORD
03-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by diamondD
I'm still trying to figure out why I get over $20 off for using my grocer's loyalty card, just so they can track my buying patterns. Is it worth that much per trip just to have that info?

Yeah, the grocery cards are another thing I never figured out the purpose of. What they don't tell their customers is that if you have a card, the paperwork doesn't mean shit (except for cross referencing their database). These cards don't have to be activated like a credit card, just use 'em.

So I got a Safeway card in the mail..... and just used it. Never gave them a shred of info. Of course when I pay for the groceries with my debit card, they can probably track that anyway.

knuckleboner
03-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by FORD

i'm not sure what for. odds are overwhelming that that info would be inadmissible in court. and if the cop used the purchase knowledge as partial justification for arresting the driver, then the entire arrest is in jeopardy.

the fact is that the authorities are going more and more after the establishments that sell alcohol to minors. as alcohol sales, especially for convenience stores are highly profitable, the stores probably wish to protect themselves. the alternative is that they don't check as stringently; get busted by the cops, and now nobody gets to by beer. and THAT'S a tragedy...

Nitro Express
03-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Yeah, but your local drug dealer doesn't scan shit. Maybe that's why more kids smoke pot than drink. LOL!

jhale667
03-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Note to self: Stop paying for weed with debit card...:rolleyes:

I KEED! :D

Nickdfresh
03-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by diamondD

I suppose it keeps you coming back for more, doesn't it?

And they can always just raise the prices so they can give you more off....:o

diamondD
03-13-2006, 06:12 PM
By the same token as the original post, there's a club here that absolutely will not let you in without scanning your driver's license. It's not just to track what you purchase, but where you've been.