PDA

View Full Version : Isaac Hayes Quits 'South Park'

Matt White
03-13-2006, 05:54 PM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060313/capt.c7a5c47322694667baf49feacb7f59db.people_isaac _hayes_nyet125.jpg?x=180&y=264&sig=oZfkSBST6DnNMRgBljl5DQ--

By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer
42 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

fryingdutchman
03-13-2006, 05:58 PM
That's ashame, 'cause Chef could be funny as shit!

But, by the same token, if Hayes is applying a double standard, then fuck him.

Nice to see Matt Stone punch back.

Matt White
03-13-2006, 06:03 PM
"It's all FUN & GAMES until somebody gets their feelings hurt...."

col5150
03-13-2006, 06:42 PM
i saw that episode it was funny as hell.

too bad you wont be hearing ''hello children'' any more

jhale667
03-13-2006, 06:57 PM
That episode WAS funny as hell...who knew he was such a hypocrite?

Rikk
03-13-2006, 07:03 PM
It's amazing how many people are angered by this show. It's brilliant satire. And the best satire pisses people off.

amadeus
03-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Why is that all Scientologists feel this way? You see Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism, etc. made fun of all the time and when these groups protest it, they are seen as religious radicals and should recognize everybody's right to free speech but if Scientology is attacked, it has to be a major deal. Let the hypocrite go if he wants to be that way about things,.

jhale667
03-13-2006, 07:10 PM
So when you convert to Scientology or Islam, do they surgically remove your sense of humor?!?!

RuzDNailz
03-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Sad. Really sad. How can it be truly South Park without Chef? Is
he going to be replaced? South Park targets all faiths and cultures.
Everybody takes a hit somewhere. They even pushed the envelope
on many different topics and inspired other shows to do the same.

LoungeMachine
03-13-2006, 08:18 PM
I love Isaac Hayes.

He had a reocurring role on The Rockford Files as an ex-con named Gandolph [Gandy] Fitch.

He's free to work/not work for whomever he wishes, but this does seem a bit pissy on his part.

Don't watch the show, so can't comment on content. Do they still kill Kenny in each episode?

Loved the SP/Bowling For Columbine connection in the film, though.

Julius
03-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Saw the handwriting on the wall when the Scientology episode aired, I just wonder what took him so long to object.

He was probably on his way out anyway, he didn't appear in any of this season's episodes.

Ally_Kat
03-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by amadeus
Why is that all Scientologists feel this way? You see Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism, etc. made fun of all the time and when these groups protest it, they are seen as religious radicals and should recognize everybody's right to free speech but if Scientology is attacked, it has to be a major deal. Let the hypocrite go if he wants to be that way about things,.

Exactly. He should realize that this being his religion, centered around an alien and an author who said he could create a religion and make people flock to it, is prone to it and what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

bueno bob
03-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Well, he certainly never had a problem with the money.

What Matt and Trey should do is get Samuel L. Jackson...somebody bad ass and have HIM be the new Chef...

I doubt seriously that Isaac Hayes has any rights to the character...and it'd be pretty damn funny hearing Chef bust out with

"GET MY MAH SPATULA!"

"Which one, Chef?"

"IT'S THE ONE THAT SAYS 'BAD MOTHER {BLEEP}ER!"

manwiththedogs
03-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
So when you convert to Scientology or Islam, do they surgically remove your sense of humor?!?!

Yes.

Ally_Kat
03-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Well, he certainly never had a problem with the money.

What Matt and Trey should do is get Samuel L. Jackson...somebody bad ass and have HIM be the new Chef...

I doubt seriously that Isaac Hayes has any rights to the character...and it'd be pretty damn funny hearing Chef bust out with

"GET MY MAH SPATULA!"

"Which one, Chef?"

"IT'S THE ONE THAT SAYS 'BAD MOTHER {BLEEP}ER!"

best idea ever.

Hardrock69
03-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Too bad.....Chef was my favorite character.

Oh well. I have not watched South Park in several years anyway....

Full Bug
03-13-2006, 11:54 PM
"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

OWNED!
What a hypocrite....

jslav06
03-14-2006, 12:14 AM
It's not gonna be too different without Hayes because the past couple seasons, which were still brilliant and funny as hell, barely had Chef in any of the episodes. Chef was a hilarious character, but I think the show will do fine without him.

fe_lung
03-14-2006, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by amadeus

When your religion is a sham you tend to get a little touchy!

ODShowtime
03-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Those scientology people get touchy. I was discussing that episode with my VP (who is or was a SP fan) and later found out that she is married to a freakin Scientology priest! Of course I worked in Clearwater, which is their base or something.

Yep, just got a new job this week! Very happy...

Full Bug
03-14-2006, 10:52 AM
The Top 15 Least Known Chapters in "Dianetics"

"Getting Chicks To Say Yes: L. Ron Answers the Booty Call"

"Hey, If It's In a Bestseller, It MUST Be True!"

"Travolta 3:16"

"Making Your Own E-meter With Dixie Cups And Duct Tape"

"Chapter 26: In Which Luke Discovers that L. Ron Vader is His Real Father"

"Chapter 5: Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot"

"'Old Mother' Hubbard -- L. Ron, the Transvestite Years"

"Chapter 12: Geez, You're Still Buying This, Aren't You?"

"The Human Mind: That Vast Realm Half an Inch Behind the Forehead (Two Inches Back for Scott Hamilton)"

"When a Lawsuit Hits Your Eye, Like a Big Pizza Pie, That's Scientology"

"He's NOT the Telescope Guy!"

"Chapter 11 - How To File For It"

"Movie Stars -- Are They Gullible, or What?"

"Chapter 3: Post This on the Internet and We'll Sue Your Ass!"
and the Number 1 Least Known Chapter in "Dianetics"...

"Commandment Number One: 'Show Me the Money!'"

Sleeper Cell
03-14-2006, 11:15 AM
it makes you wonder if some of those Scientoligist ass bandits like Cruise and ReVolta put some kind of pressure ol' Ike Hayes. Maybe they threatened him with a demotion in the ranks, or told him that LeBron Hubbard wouldn't have him over for dinner if he kept hanging around heathens like Stone and Parker...

I love hypocrites.

Mr. Vengeance
03-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Yet another case of religious stupidity getting in the way of fun and creativity.

Of course, it was all fair game until they poked fun at his religion.

All religion must end.....

amadeus
03-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Scientology is a very scary 'religion'. I got a book and some of the things that you have to 'agree' to is crazy. They say that they are all about freedom in living your life but I guess they object to Freedom of Speech when you start attacking their people in any way, shape or form.~~~ They are monitoring me now, must go or else Scientologists will eat me!!!!!~~~~

Matt White
03-14-2006, 11:44 AM
They got 'em!!!:eek:

Loons The Great
03-14-2006, 02:54 PM
I can hear,"Jesus Ranch," by Tenacious D right 'bout nah...I'll bet D-Ro would be interested in doin' some voice over...or Animal...

Mr Grimsdale
03-17-2006, 12:56 PM
what i want is another terrance and philip special - to rival their thanksgiving show

Full Bug
03-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Chef's Quitting Controversy
http://www.foxnews.com/printer_frie...,188463,00.html
By Roger Friedman

Isaac Hayes did not quit "South Park." My sources say that someone quit it for him.

I can tell you that Hayes is in no position to have quit anything. Contrary to news reports, the great writer, singer and musician suffered a stroke on Jan. 17. At the time it was said that he was hospitalized and suffering from exhaustion.

It’s also absolutely ridiculous to think that Hayes, who loved playing Chef on "South Park," would suddenly turn against the show because they were poking fun at Scientology.

Last November, when the “Trapped in a Closet” episode of the comedy aired, I saw Hayes and spent time with him in Memphis for the annual Blues Ball.

If he hated the show so much, I doubt he would have performed his trademark hit song from the show, “Chocolate Salty Balls.” He tossed the song into the middle of one of his less salacious hits and got the whole audience in the Memphis Pyramid to sing along.

I can tell you, Hayes was very pleased with himself, was in a great mood and, as always, loved his fans' coming up to him and asking him about Chef.

As recently as early January, before his stroke, Hayes defended the "South Park" creators in an interview with “The AV Club,” the serious side of the satirical newspaper, The Onion.

AV Club: They did just do an episode that made fun of your religion, Scientology. Did that bother you?

Hayes: Well, I talked to Matt [Stone] and Trey [Parker] about that. They didn't let me know until it was done. I said, 'Guys, you have it all wrong. We're not like that. I know that's your thing, but get your information correct, because somebody might believe that [expletive], you know?' But I understand what they're doing. I told them to take a couple of Scientology courses and understand what we do. [Laughs.]

The truth is, Hayes has a sly sense of humor and loves everything about "South Park." It’s provided him a much-needed income stream since losing the royalties to the many hits he’s written, such as “Shaft” and “Soul Man,” in the mid-1970s.

Even though he’s one of America’s most prolific hit writers, Hayes has been denied access to profits from his own material for almost 30 years.

But it’s hard to know anything since Hayes, like Katie Holmes, is constantly monitored by a Scientologist representative most of the time. Luckily, at the Blues Ball he was on his own, partying just with family and friends. He was very excited about having gotten married and about the impending birth of a new child.

Friends in Memphis tell me that Hayes did not issue any statements on his own about South Park. They are mystified.

“Isaac’s been concentrating on his recuperation for the last two and a half, three months,” a close friend told me.

Hayes did not suffer paralysis, but the mild stroke may have affected his speech and his memory. He’s been having home therapy since it happened.

That certainly begs the question of who issued the statement that Hayes was quitting "South Park" now because it mocked Scientology four months ago. If it wasn’t Hayes, then who would have done such a thing?

Meantime, Tom Cruise may have gotten Comedy Central to pull its repeat of "South Park"'s Scientology spoof last week, but the result is that episode is all over the Web. You can see it for free at http://www.youtube.com/results?search=south+park+Scientology&search_type=search_videos

bueno bob
03-20-2006, 03:42 PM
And the plot thickens...

Ally_Kat
03-20-2006, 09:26 PM
He's Back!!! Chef Returns to South Park

The launch of "South Park’s" 10th season is marked by the triumphant homecoming of school chef, Jerome McElroy. "The Return of Chef!," premieres Wednesday, March 22 at 10:00 p.m., only Comedy Central.
The town is jolted out of a case of the doldrums when Chef suddenly reappears. While Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman are thrilled to have their old friend back, they notice that something about chef seems different. When Chef’s strange behavior starts getting him in trouble, the boys pull out all the stops to save him.

source: www.southparkstudios.com

Full Bug
03-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Now thats interesting....

matt19
03-23-2006, 01:48 PM
he made plenty of money when that show rips on christianity... and to call it bigotry is a joke... what a hypocrite

m_dixon1984
03-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Attention lifeforms inhabiting Teegeeack. All HAIL the mighty Zenu!!

Scientology has in its history issued a sort of Jihad against all those who speak or act against Scientolgy. They used to openly declare their intent to destroy those accused. The open declarations stopped but all church members were still encouraged to abide by the spirit of the previously open declarations. All those who oppose Scientology are meant to be destroyed (destruction in their religion can take on many meanings; it doesn't necessarily mean death). If Isaac Hayes had a mentor then he was likely encouraged to not only leave the show but to openly speak out and discredit it, much like Tom Cruise is doing. Taking action that could have an monetary affect on the offender would count as "destroying" the offending party.

Now if you'll excuse me I have a post dated check to drop in the mail for the Church of Scientology. I've been told that my ten thousand dollar donation will remove some of the "Body Thetans" currently causing me great stress.

M (Operating Thetan Level 1)

Nickdfresh
03-23-2006, 04:14 PM
OOOOOFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!

The Revenge of SOUTH PARK!

CHEF to be roasted on new episode!:D

South Park gets revenge on Chef

Isaac Hayes did not participate in the new episode
South Park has exacted revenge on its former star Isaac Hayes by turning his character Chef into a paedophile and seemingly killing him off.

The opening episode of the 10th series, screened in the US on Wednesday, appeared to be a satire on Scientology.

Hayes, a Scientologist, quit the animated comedy after a different episode ridiculed the religion.

In the new show, Chef is brainwashed by the "Super Adventure Club" - thought to be a veiled reference to Scientology.

The other characters are angry at "that fruity little club for scrambling his brains".

Patched together

Hayes did not participate in the episode but his lines were apparently patched together from previous recordings.

Chef arrives after travelling the world with the Super Adventure Club and repeatedly tells the children he wants to "make sweet love" to them.

The children take him to a psychiatrist and then a strip club, where he remembers his love for women and is cured.

But he is brainwashed by the Super Adventure Club again - before falling off a bridge and being burned, stabbed and mauled by a lion and a grizzly bear.

'Hurt and confused'

At his funeral, one of the children says: "A lot of us don't agree with the choices the Chef has made in the last few days.

"Some of us feel hurt and confused that he seemed to turn his back on us.

"But we can't let the events of the past few weeks take away the memories of how Chef made us smile."

Isaac Hayes
Isaac Hayes was admitted to hospital with exhaustion in January
Soul singer Hayes recently announced he had left the show because of its "intolerance and bigotry toward religious beliefs".

But co-creator Matt Stone said: "In 10 years and over 150 episodes of South Park, Isaac never had a problem with the show making fun of Christians, Muslim, Mormons or Jews.

"He got a sudden case of religious sensitivity when it was his religion featured on the show."

US TV network Comedy Central then pulled a different episode, which mocked Tom Cruise and more explicitly lampooned Scientology.

That prompted rumours that Cruise had demanded that the episode be dropped, which were denied by his representatives.

Hayes, 63, was admitted to hospital with exhaustion in January.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4836286.stm

fe_lung
03-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Return of Chef was awesome. I thought they achieved a great balance of sadness for the end of an era and a healthy fuck you to Scientology.