PDA

View Full Version : 87-Iraqis Found Dead: Execution Style.

Nickdfresh
03-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Iraqis Find 87 Bodies Within 24 Hours
Tuesday, March 14, 2006 11:07 AM EST
The Associated Press (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IRAQ?SITE=NYBUE&SECTION=HOME)
By ALEXANDRA ZAVIS

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) — Police in the past 24 hours have found the bodies of at least 87 men killed by execution style shootings in a gruesome wave of apparent sectarian killing, the Interior Ministry said Tuesday. They include at least 29 bodies stacked in a mass grave in an eastern Shiite neighborhood.

Much of the bloodshed — the second wave of mass killings in Iraq since bombers destroyed an important Shiite shrine last month — followed deadly weekend explosions in a teeming Shiite slum in which 58 people died and more than 200 were wounded.

North of the capital, a roadside bomb exploded Tuesday among Shiite pilgrims headed on foot to the holy city Karbala, killing one person and injuring seven near Baqouba, police said.

With sectarian tension mounting, Iraq's Interior Ministry announced a ban on driving in Baghdad to coincide with the first meeting of Iraq's new parliament Thursday. The ban takes effect at 8 p.m. Wednesday and lasts until 4 p.m. Thursday.

Squabbling over the composition of a new government has delayed the inaugural session since the results of Dec. 15 parliamentary elections were confirmed over a month ago.

Leaders of Iraq's main ethnic and religious blocs began a series of marathon meetings Tuesday in an attempt to break the deadlock. U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad, who has been shuttling between the main factions, joined the session hosted by Shiite leader Adbul-Aziz al-Hakim.

The stakes are high for the United States, which hopes a strong and inclusive central government can stabilize the country so its forces can start drawing down in the summer.

Most of the discarded corpses were found in the capital and three in the northern city of Mosul, police said.

Acting on an anonymous tip, police found a 6-by-8-meter (yard) hole in a empty field. It contained at least 29 dead men — most of them in their underwear — in Kamaliyah, a mostly Shiite east Baghdad suburb, said Interior Ministry official Lt. Col. Falah al-Mohammedawi. He estimated they had been killed about three days ago.

Local residents offered scarves to help cover the bodies, which were laid out on the ground. Police guarded the site as members of a Shiite militia dug for more corpses. An Associated Press photographer took pictures of the grave but was warned not to publish them.

An abandoned minibus containing 15 more bodies was found earlier on the main road between two mostly Sunni west Baghdad neighborhoods — not far from where another minibus containing 18 bodies was discovered last week, said al-Mohammedawi.

At least 40 more bodies were recovered in Baghdad, including both Sunni and Shiite neighborhoods, said al-Mohammedawi.

They included four men shot in the head execution-style and hanged from electricity pylons in Sadr City, where two car bombs and four mortar rounds shattered shops and market stalls at nightfall Sunday, as residents shopped for food for their evening meals.

Scores of frightened Shiite families have fled predominantly Sunni parts of Baghdad in recent weeks, some of them at gunpoint. More than 100 families arrived between Monday and Tuesday alone in Wasit province, in the southern Shiite heartland, said Haitham Ajaimi Manie, an official with the provisional migration directorate. More than 300 Baghdad families are now sheltering in the province, he said.

The violence since the Feb. 22 bombing of the famed golden dome atop the Shiite Askariya shrine in Samarra has complicated negotiations for Iraq's first permanent, post-invasion government. A caretaker government has been in charge since the December elections, and U.S. and Iraqi officials fear the vacuum in authority is fueling the bloodshed.

Under pressure from the U.S. ambassador, leaders of the main ethnic and religious groups agreed Sunday to meet daily until they can unblock the political negotiations.

Among the most contentious issues is Shiite Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari's candidacy for a second term. Kurdish, Sunni and some secular leaders argue he is too divisive a figure and accuse him of doing too little to contain reprisal attacks on Sunni mosques and clerics after the Shiite shrine was destroyed.

The Shiite United Iraqi Alliance is itself divided over al-Jaafari. He won the nomination by just one vote last month in large part because of the support of radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr. Al-Hakim favored Adil Abdul-Mahdi, one of two current vice presidents.

Also present at Tuesday's meeting were President Jalal Talabani and Massoud Barzani, leaders of the main Kurdish parties; Dhafir al-Ani, an official with the main Sunni bloc; and former Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, a secular Shiite.

Scorched pavement, destroyed shops, burned out cars and the dangling bodies awaited Shiite residents emerging from their homes Monday in Sadr City.

The scene, although gruesome, was not what many had feared: That the deadly explosions the previous night would ignite all-out civil war.

Radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr — whose stronghold was targeted Sunday — refused to be provoked. With thousands of his Mahdi Army militiamen ready to fight, the anti-American leader called for calm and national unity.

Sunni religious leaders quickly condemned the assault on Sadr City.

Sheik Ahmed Abdul Ghafour al-Samaraie, head of the Sunni Endowment, the state agency responsible for Sunni mosques and shrines, called it "a cowardly and criminal act."

"There are some hands trying to add fuel to the fire for their own benefit," he said on television.

Britain, the United States' largest military partner in Iraq, showed its confidence Monday by announcing a 10 percent — about 800-troop — reduction by May.

"This is a significant reduction which is based largely on the ability of the Iraqis themselves to participate and defend themselves against terrorism, but there is a long, long way to go," British Defense Secretary John Reid said in London.

Bomb blasts and shootings in Baghdad and north of the capital, many of them targeting Iraqi police patrols, killed at least 15 more people Monday and wounded more than 40. They included a U.S. soldier who died in a roadside bombing, the military said. A U.S. Marine was reported killed Sunday in insurgent-plagued Anbar province.

The American deaths brought the number of U.S. military members killed to at least 2,308 since the beginning of the Iraq war in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count.

In Washington, U.S. President George W. Bush said insurgents were trying to ignite a civil war by escalating the violence.

"I wish I could tell you that the violence is waning and that the road ahead will be smooth," Bush said in a speech at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies at George Washington University. "It will not. There will be more tough fighting and more days of struggle, and we will see more images of chaos and carnage in the days and months to come."

———

Associated Press Writers Sameer N. Yacoub and Qassim Abdul-Zahra contributed to this report from Baghdad.

Guitar Shark
03-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Anyone seen Cheney lately?

amadeus
03-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Waiting for FORD to weigh in on this one.

Warham
03-14-2006, 04:04 PM
You already know what FORD is going to say. You can imagine it before he even posts.

Nickdfresh
03-14-2006, 04:12 PM
All partisan rancor aside, no one can be happy that IRAQ is turning into Death Squad land...

kentuckyklira
03-14-2006, 05:58 PM
Mission accomplished!

Angel
03-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Does anybody else shed tears when they watch the news every fucking night? I'm getting tired of it all, myself. Sometimes I wish my Dad had never passed down his compassion. :(

jhale667
03-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Angel
Does anybody else shed tears when they watch the news every fucking night? I'm getting tired of it all, myself. Sometimes I wish my Dad had never passed down his compassion. :(

What really tore me up was a story my best friend who's in the USAF told me when he got back from Iraq this last time...he said they were helping out some Marines who'd just seen some of their buddies eat it (IED)...said he walked up to this kid in his early 20s, the kid was obviously in shock...said he handed the kid a candy bar he had in his pocket, said "It's going to be OK"...and the kid started CRYING...mind you, this is a big tough marine...My friend said he almost cried too when he realized here's a kid young enough to be his or my SON, who's already seen MORE than his share of death....:(

and the situation there is NOT getting any better, obviously...

FORD
03-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Negroponte is back in his true form.......

Hardrock69
03-14-2006, 11:32 PM
The Iraqi government is behind some of the death squads over there...

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/news/world/14083330.htm?source=rss&channel=krwashington_world

Death squads operated from inside Iraqi government, officials say
By Matthew Schofield
Knight Ridder Newspapers

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Senior Iraqi officials Sunday confirmed for the first time that death squads composed of government employees had operated illegally from inside two government ministries.

"The deaths squads that we have captured are in the defense and interior ministries," Minister of Interior Bayan Jabr said during a joint news conference with the Minister of Defense. "There are people who have infiltrated the army and the interior."

Also, Sunday, a series of deadly attacks hit the Shiite Baghdad neighborhood of Sadr City, which had recently been relatively safe, initiating another round of sectarian killings and threatening to provoke more.

Seven car bombs were left in markets around the poor Shiite area. Two exploded at 5:30 p.m., another at 5:35 p.m., two at 5:40 p.m. in a different market, and one at 5:45 p.m. Police found and defused the seventh.

The blasts, set off at the busiest time of the day just after poor residents would have returned from their jobs, yet before curfew, killed 46 people and wounded another 204. By Sunday night, the suburb of 2.5 million had been sealed off by police and the private militia of radical cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, the Mahdi Army.

The targeting of Sadr City could provoke a strong political backlash. Sadr City is a bastion of support for al-Sadr, a key backer of Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari's bid for re-election. Al-Jaafari's nomination is strongly opposed by Sunni and Kurdish leaders, although he is supported by United Iraqi Alliance, the Shiite political bloc that is the largest in parliament.

The Mahdi Army was also extremely active in attacks on Sunni mosques in the aftermath of last month's bombing of a key Shiite shrine in Samarra that touched off a wave of sectarian killings.

Elsewhere around Baghdad, a series of roadside bombs and gun attacks killed another 17 people.

Interior Minister Jabr said that investigations into death squads were still ongoing in the Defense Ministry. He said the Interior Ministry had arrested 22 people, and subsequently released 18 as innocent after interrogation, detaining four for further questioning.

"Now we have sent them (the four) to the court because it hasn't been proven that all four were involved," Jabr said. "Although I did not have clear signs (of their guilt) I sent them to the justice ministry so that the law could be carried out."

Although Jabr appeared to confirm the existence of death squads, the scale of the operation uncovered would appear to be far smaller than critics had alleged.

Sunni Muslims have long complained about Shiite death squads that arrived wearing official uniforms and rode in official-looking vehicles to haul away victims.

Knight Ridder first reported the accusation of death squads in February last year, and in June documented many cases in which victims were taken away allegedly by men wearing Interior Ministry commando uniforms were later found handcuffed and executed with a bullet to the back of the head.

The government had long denied the existence of such death squads. Sunnis had accused the Badr Organization, a Shiite militia supported by Iran, of being behind the killings, inside or outside of government ministries. Jabr is a senior leader of the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq, a leading Shiite political party, and has close ties to the Badr Organization.

The investigation that led to Sunday's confirmation of government death squads came after American forces stopped a group of men who were passing through a checkpoint in late January. The men wore official uniforms and said they were preparing to execute a Sunni man in their custody.

The atmosphere of chaos in Iraq has been stoked in part by the failure of politicians to form a new government nearly three months after national elections.

A spokesman for President Jalal Talabani said Iraq's political parties would meet Tuesday to resolve differences and would convene the first parliamentary session Thursday, three days ahead of what had been planned.

At the Saddam Hussein trial, where he is accused of having 148 people from Dujail slaughtered in 1982 after a failed assassination attempt, three of his fellow defendants took the witness stand, although they said little and denied their involvement in the killings.

Two cited faulty eyesight as the reason spoken testimony differed from earlier signed statements.

The trial is expected to progress through the week and culminate with the prosecution examination of Saddam.

After proceedings, the prosecutor said, "Anyone convicted of these crimes could be executed within 30 days."

FORD
03-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Business as usual for the BCE. Just like El Salvador in the 80's.

Nitro Express
03-15-2006, 02:59 AM
We could put Saddam Hussain back in power. Chemical weapons and torture end civil unrest quite effectively.

kentuckyklira
03-15-2006, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
The Iraqi government is behind some of the death squads over there...

Dead innocent civilians seem to be ok as long as it΄s Americans or their pals who did the killing!