PDA

View Full Version : George Thorogood

Dirty Duck
03-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Just wondering if anyone else likes George?

Was listrening to some of his CD's the other night...good stuff.

Real rock if you want my opinion.

If you agree please let me know....favorite songs?

My picks:

Madison blues

Willie and the hand jive.

Who do you love?

One scotch..one bourbon...one beer.

Gear jammer.

You better start drinking.

I've always thought it was weird that he never really got credit for his work. I love his stuff....and I recommend it!

Satan
03-15-2006, 07:11 PM
His early stuff on Rounder Records was his best work.

George almost joined the Rolling Stones in 1981, believe it or not. He was opening for the band on some of their stadium dates, and Woody was so coked up he almost got booted from the band in mid tour. Might have been interesting to hear George & Keith play off one another.

PumpedUpMidget
03-15-2006, 07:36 PM
George Thorogood kicks ass--favorite song is 'Night Time' (live version)

blueturk
03-15-2006, 07:38 PM
A one sound wonder...

Mr. Vengeance
03-15-2006, 08:02 PM
I love him! And he is fantastic live!

Madison Blues is my fav.

Terry
03-15-2006, 10:33 PM
I dig him. Still hear MORE than enough of Bad To The Bone on the radio than I need to, but GT rocks.

I remember reading about GT nearly getting the nod from Keith in 1981, and GT was supposedly practicing the Stones setlist in case he got the call...

Woody was freebasing a lot during that period. Also heard Woody was in rough shape in the latter part of the 1980s, and it wasn't a given that he'd rejoin the Stones when Steel Wheels was being put together...fuck, when Keith Richards tells you you've got a coke problem, you know you're doing too much.

DrMaddVibe
03-16-2006, 05:51 AM
Yeah, it was probably draining HIS supply!

bueno bob
03-16-2006, 06:19 AM
He's a constant. If you're looking for a particular sound and a particular groove, heavy blues, George is the man...

Nickdfresh
03-16-2006, 07:01 AM
I do like GEORGE, but he's limited as far as a player and as a writer...

EbDawson
03-16-2006, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Dirty Duck
Gear jammer.

Great tune. Also dig Steady Rollin' Man. George and The Destroyers put on a great show! Catch them if you get the chance.

Matt White
03-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Glad the DELEWARE DESTROYER has cleaned up his act....

He was a mess in the mid 90's....

Hardrock69
03-16-2006, 01:58 PM
That is wild to know about '81 Stones Tour....

I saw their stop in Boulder Colorado. The closest they were coming to Wichita, Kansas.

I hitchhiked to Boulder and back to Wichita just to see that show.

And what a show it was! Thorogood was the opener, followed by Heart, and followed by the Stones.

I went all the way to Boulder as I thought they were getting so old, I might not get to see them if I did not go.

George Thorogood shoulda been the headliner.

He made Heart look like a liefless buncha hacks, and made the Stones look completely irrelevant.

He had 65,000 people going absolutely apeshit.

Heart and the Stones were not able to pull that feat off that night.

Jérôme Frenchise
03-16-2006, 02:37 PM
George Thorogood & the Destroyers... I have "The Baddest of" and "Ride 'Til I Die", a 2003 release (a few tracks are really excellent). GT is a kickass slide guitar player.

One track I particularly dig is "If you don't start drinking (I'm gonna leave)". Pure fun.

Satan
03-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
That is wild to know about '81 Stones Tour....

I saw their stop in Boulder Colorado. The closest they were coming to Wichita, Kansas.

I hitchhiked to Boulder and back to Wichita just to see that show.

And what a show it was! Thorogood was the opener, followed by Heart, and followed by the Stones.

I went all the way to Boulder as I thought they were getting so old, I might not get to see them if I did not go.

George Thorogood shoulda been the headliner.

He made Heart look like a liefless buncha hacks, and made the Stones look completely irrelevant.

He had 65,000 people going absolutely apeshit.

Heart and the Stones were not able to pull that feat off that night.

Why didn't you go to Kansas City? You could have seen Mick Taylor play with them.

(His only appearance on the 81 tour, and so far his only appearance since officially leaving the band in 1974)

As for Heart, I guess Ann & Nancy must have agreed with your assessment of their performance, since the original lineup wasn't around much longer after that.

Satan
03-16-2006, 04:58 PM
And as a footnote (well, cloven hoof note in my case) I don't have the slightest idea how it is that Mick Taylor just happenned to take the stage in Kansas City that night. Perhaps it was a way to put some direct pressure on Woody to clean up his act? (Since he didn't know about GT rehearsing his parts, supposedly)

Unfortunately, I've heard the bootleg of the KC show, and it's not like hearing the glory days of the 1973 tour. I'm guessing that the whole thing was more or less spontaneous and they didn't rehearse anything as a 3 guitar lineup. And the results sound like it.

Terry
03-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
He's a constant. If you're looking for a particular sound and a particular groove, heavy blues, George is the man...

Who's the lady underneath your post, bueno?

Mr. Vengeance
03-16-2006, 05:55 PM
One story about that Stones tour where Woody was out of it- I think they started to play Honky Tonk Women at one show and Keith's guitar goes out. So he jumps up on a riser trying to get Woody's attention, thinking he'll pick up the riff..but Woody is so fucked up, that he just looks at Keith and laughs....

Keith jumps off the riser and punches Woody in the face out of anger.

Rock n roll, man! Rock n roll!!!!!

Hardrock69
03-17-2006, 02:27 AM
I did not see the Kansas City show because it sold out too fast.

This was before the internet.

Casemeister
03-17-2006, 05:49 AM
I saw Thorogood and the Destroyers last year. Awesome show! I had a great time. The space between his leaving the stage and his encore was huge. I was outside, on the phone to a friend, waiting for my ride home, when I heard music. On the off chance he had returned, I went back in... he'd been playing for like 5 minutes, LOL!

Great performer. Yeah, he really only does one sound... but he does it very well! I remember liking "Get A Haircut" when it first came out. I had the "cassingle" ;) I was pretty young then. 5 or 6, I think (it was like 1992, right?).

Mr. Vengeance
03-17-2006, 11:57 AM
When I saw him in Ottawa years back, he played in this place which is under the Civic Centre. They call it the Civic Centre salons. It's kind of a long room with a bar at the back and long tables that people sit at. Then you have the pit area in front of the stage.

Man, everyone was drunk as hell, up on the tables, dancing, falling off the tables...dusting themselves off and getting back up on the tables....One wild show!

amadeus
03-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Dirty Duck
Just wondering if anyone else likes George?

Was listrening to some of his CD's the other night...good stuff.

Real rock if you want my opinion.

If you agree please let me know....favorite songs?

My picks:

Madison blues

Willie and the hand jive.

Who do you love?

One scotch..one bourbon...one beer.

Gear jammer.

You better start drinking.

I've always thought it was weird that he never really got credit for his work. I love his stuff....and I recommend it!

Gear Jammer is awesome. I really wish that we would hear more of him on the radio than just Bad to the Bone, etc. He is so much more than just that one song LOL. By the way, anyone here like Gary Moore, blues guitarist?

Diamondjimi
03-17-2006, 02:37 PM
George Thorogood?

3 words....

LET'S GET DRUNK !!!!!!

Mr. Vengeance
03-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
George Thorogood?

3 words....

LET'S GET DRUNK !!!!!!

Fuckin' right jimi!!!! Fuckin' right!

I'm popping one of his albums in now, having a strong rum drink, lighting up a Villanova victory cigar and getting drunk!

Loons The Great
03-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Satan
His early stuff on Rounder Records was his best work.

That's the truth nah yez.

Dirty Duck
03-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks for all the great responses!!!

Had no clue about him almost joining the stones!!

What kind of "Rock And Roll Junkie" am I!!!? ha ha