PDA

View Full Version : Howard Stern Dropped By Clear Channel

Sarge
04-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Howard Stern Dropped After Fine
Apr 8, 10:14 PM EST

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (AP) -- The nation's largest radio chain dropped the country's best-known shock jock Thursday after federal regulators proposed fining it $495,000 for sexually explicit material on the Howard Stern show.

As part of its stepped-up enforcement of indecency regulations, a unanimous Federal Communications Commission fined Clear Channel Communications the maximum $27,500 for each of 18 alleged violations.

Regulators departed from their norm by citing Clear Channel for multiple violations in a single broadcast rather than simply issuing a single fine for an entire show.

John Hogan, president of Clear Channel Radio, said the government's crackdown on indecency has gotten his company's attention.

"Stern's show has created a great liability for us and other broadcasters who air it," said Hogan, who suspended Stern in February from the six Clear Channel stations that carried him.

(Story Continues Below...)

Sponsored Sites

VOOM: HDTV Delivered
VOOM has more high definition programming than any other provider 30+ HD channels. 20+ HDTV exclusives. 100+ channels in all. All the HDTV you want and more. (www.voom.com)
Global Satellite
Authorized DirecTV dealer. Check out our special offers. (www.gblsat.com)

"The Congress and the FCC are even beginning to look at revoking station licenses. That's a risk we're just not willing to take."

Clear Channel has 30 days to contest the fine. The company last month agreed to pay a record $755,000 indecency fine for broadcasts by the disc jockey known as "Bubba the Love Sponge," who was fired.

In a statement posted on his Web site, Stern characterized the fine as furtherance of a "witch hunt" against him by the Bush administration, which he says is punishing him for his criticism of the president.

"It is pretty shocking that governmental interference into our rights and free speech takes place in the U.S.," he said. "It's hard to reconcile this with the 'land of the free' and the 'home of the brave.'"

Stern's nationally syndicated show features graphic sexual discussion and humor. It appears on more than 30 stations — most of them owned by Viacom Inc.'s Infinity Broadcasting unit — and draws millions of die-hard listeners.

Infinity spokesman Dana McClintock said the company has no plans to take any action against Stern.

Last month, the FCC proposed fining Infinity $27,500 for a Stern show broadcast July 26, 2001, on WKRK-FM in Detroit. Infinity paid $1.7 million in 1995 to settle various violations by Stern.

The Center for Public Integrity, a watchdog group, said fines against Stern accounted for almost half of the $4 million in penalties proposed by the FCC since 1990.

Critics who bemoan a growing coarseness of the public airwaves say the FCC and Congress need to dramatically increase fines and enforcement to ensure major broadcasting companies don't see occasional fines as simply a cost of doing business.

The House has voted to raise the maximum fine to $500,000 and to require the FCC to consider revoking a broadcast license after three indecency violations. Similar legislation is pending in the Senate.

"A $27,500 fine to a company that does $27 billion worth of business is less than a mosquito on a windshield," said L. Brent Bozell III, president of the Parents Television Council, a conservative advocacy group. "It is just so insignificant as to be laughable."

Federal law bars radio stations and over-the-air television channels from airing references to sexual and excretory functions between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., when children may be tuning in. The rules do not apply to cable and satellite channels or satellite radio.

A listener complained about Stern's April 9, 2003, show on a Fort Lauderdale, Fla., station. The show contained discussions about sex accompanied by flatulence sounds. The FCC action came at the end of the one-year deadline for it to act.

Previously, when the commission has fined broadcasters it has been for the contents of an entire show. And it normally only levied the penalty against stations mentioned in a complaint.

In this case, though the complaint only involved the Fort Lauderdale station, the commission determined there were three indecency violations during the program and fined Clear Channel for all six of its stations that aired the show for a total of 18 citations.

"Today's decision is a step forward toward imposing meaningful fines," Commissioner Michael Copps said.

Though the commission received no complaints from listeners to Infinity stations, it is looking into fining that company, too.

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=155163

Viking
04-12-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm all for community standards, but the FCC is acting like a drunken bull in a china shop. It reminds me of that silly-assed Tipper Gore/PMRC crusade 20 years ago. The government needs to just sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up.

lucky wilbury
04-12-2004, 04:46 PM
clear channel is a private company and has the right to deciede what to do with the progaming that they have to pay big bucks for. but lets get real howards been going down hill now for a long while. it wouldn't surprise me he WANTS the fcc to come down on him hard that way he has an excuse to quit. every year he keeps saying it's his last year and he's going to retire this will just give him cover to quit. as far as his complaints about the fcc trying to stop his "right to free speech" look who the complaint is coming from. someone who wanted other dj's fired just for mentioning his name! he's not the champion of free speech he makes himself out to be. he's the champion of howard and thats it. before someone says i don't like howard i've listen to him longer then most people. long before he was syndicated and the rest of the country you could only hear him in nyc and jearsy on nbc. that was in the 80's and yes i know about dc and hartford before nyc but i'm talking about when and how howard became howard. back in the days of the afternoon drive and his tv show on channel 9.

Ally_Kat
04-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
. someone who wanted other dj's fired just for mentioning his name!

don't forget the court orders he slammed on certain DJs so that they couldn't mention his name in any part

Sweet Irony
04-12-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Viking
It reminds me of that silly-assed Tipper Gore/PMRC crusade 20 years ago.

HAH!! TIPPER VS DEE!! :D

Sweet Irony
04-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Viking
The government needs to just sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up.

Now THERES a great quote!!

Sweet Irony
04-12-2004, 06:12 PM
And true, Lucky, Howard is not going to just quietly disappear.....if he has burnt out on his show, he will go out with the appropriate controversy/'blaze of glory'....not just do a retrospective and have Bette Midler come and sing....;)

lucky wilbury
04-12-2004, 07:14 PM
who is bette midler? :D

Sweet Irony
04-12-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
who is bette midler? :D

LOL!

Oh no, spare me!!