PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Spyware Programs List

Nickdfresh
03-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Here's a list of (mostly) free anti-spyware programs you can download.

http://www.download.com/Spyware-Center/2001-2023_4-0.html?tag=dir

Ad-Aware and Spybot work well, but do have their limitations...

Microsoft GIANT Beta Anti-Spyware here: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Roy Munson
03-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Did you try that MS GIANT yet?

Roy Munson
03-17-2006, 10:36 AM
I guess the Windows thing is called Defender. I just downloaded it to my work computer. The cool thing about it is that it is real-time, meaning it will be running when your browser is open. Hopefully, it will work as advertised.

m_dixon1984
03-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Although I don't normally recommend MS products, and would love to tell everyone just to run a Linux OS instead, I have been using Microsoft AntiSpyware/Defender for 6-8 months on my Windows PC and am highly recommending it. I'm also beta testing the upcoming Windows Vista operating system which comes with MS Defender (AntiSpyware's new name since Beta2 was released over month ago) and it's worked flawlessly on all my test hardware.

Updates seem to occur almost daily which gives me the impression (at least) that additional blocks are implemented on a regular basis. The nightly scans also give the impression that your machine is safe and to this point my MS machine remains untouched by ad-ware or spy-ware.

The only problem I've had with Defender is that it has kicked me out of Call Of Duty 2 when an update pop-up comes up. CoD2 was the only game I was playing at the time but I would assume that I would have been kicked out of anything I was doing. Afterwards, I just disabled the Defender updating feature while I was playing any game.

My Defender installation was also done a completely clean WindowsXP Pro build. How this, or any of the other products, works on an already infected computer is still hit and miss. I had MS AntiSpyware installed on my previously add-ware/spy-ware infected machine and it cleaned a bunch of stuff but couldn't clean some others. Subsequent detections always found the problem files but the cleaning process always failed. Defender may do a better job cleaning infected files as MS has had a year or more to make improvements, however, I still recommend starting with a clean build as these ad-ware/spy-ware infestations can quite difficult to remove.

Good luck, everyone.
M

Nickdfresh
03-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Roy Munson
Did you try that MS GIANT yet?

Yup. It's taken about eight "things" out of my computer, even if the files were partially deleted and didn't really work. It will not take out cookies, but BETA2 does work great on malware programs. And yes, it sort of gives you an anti-malware firewall, that seems to be getting better and better since I'm getting fewer and fewer cookies on my 'puter...

Full Bug
03-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Funny, I tried installing that Defender program and Windows says I dont have a Volume License Agreement key, in other words my software is likely stolen, I guess thats what you get when you buy your hard drive from a computer store that also serves as a repair shop, oh well....

Warham
03-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Here's a good list of free utilities, from spyware programs, to firewalls:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

I use Avast anti-virus and it works better than when I had McAfee, which is just like having no anti-virus program on your computer.

flappo
03-17-2006, 03:34 PM
hahah

fuck , you PC guys sure lose your supposed productivity advantage with your incessant virus wars

Roy Munson
03-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by flappo
hahah

fuck , you PC guys sure lose your supposed productivity advantage with your incessant virus wars

pOOp gear!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Nickdfresh
03-17-2006, 04:08 PM
hahah

Nothing feels better than deleting a virus...

Well, a few things do feel a little better...

Cathedral
03-18-2006, 01:26 AM
hahah

I've had zero problems since i got the new system, and i'm hooked up on anti-bullshit software.
This shit is blocking the hell out of a ton of stuff.

I ordered another RAM stick and they sent me a new hard drive with it.
they told me to go ahead and keep it, no charge, which was pretty damn nice if you ask me.

Romeo Delight
03-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Spysweeper and Trojan Hunter are the best.

Even if you just download them as a trial...they can fix your problems and you can uninstall.

snapfiles.com is good for finding trial software (shareware)