PDA

View Full Version : Man severs own penis, throws it at officers

FORD
03-18-2006, 02:51 AM
Man severs own penis, throws it at officers

March 17, 2006

BY ERIC HERMAN Staff Reporter

Before cops threw the book at him, Joseph Thunder threw something unusual at them -- his penis.

Thunder, 33, cut off his own penis during a Northwest Side rampage Wednesday morning. When confronted by police, Thunder hurled several knives and his severed organ at the officers, police said. Officers stunned him with a Taser and took him into custody.

"We took him out without any serious injury, with the exception of his own," said Chicago Police Sgt. Edward Dolan of the 16th District.

Doctors at Northwestern Memorial Hospital reattached Thunder's penis Wednesday, sources said. He was listed in good condition Thursday, according to hospital spokesman Andrew Buchanan, who declined to comment further.

Smashing car windows

Thunder, who lives in the 5400 block of W. Berenice, is charged with two counts of aggravated sexual assault of a minor and one count of criminal damage to property, said Officer Laura Kubiak. He told paramedics he was distraught over problems with his boyfriend in Poland, Dolan said.

Police arrived on Thunder's block at 8:20 a.m. Wednesday after receiving reports he was smashing car windows, Dolan said. Thunder then broke into a house down the block. A group of six or seven officers assembled in front of the house, Dolan said.

The occupants were not home, he added.

Thunder was bleeding when the officers arrived and may have already cut off his organ, Dolan said.

"At that point, this guy came running out, naked, with a handful of knives . . . and started throwing knives at the police officers that were 10, 20, 30 feet away," Dolan said.

Thunder threw his penis during the confrontation, too, Dolan said. He then went back into the house and re-emerged with "another handful of knives," Dolan said.

Dolan sneaked to the side of the bungalow's front steps and stunned Thunder with the Taser. Thunder fought back when officers went to restrain him, Dolan said.

"About 10 feet from the front porch, right on the sidewalk, was his penis," Dolan said.

Dr. Greg Bales, associate professor of urology at the University of Chicago, said severed penises are uncommon but surgery usually works.

"As long as the penis is placed on ice and reattached within a few hours, the success is usually pretty good," Bales said.

Contributing: Annie Sweeney

eherman@suntimes.com

Copyright © The Sun-Times Company
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

bueno bob
03-18-2006, 03:18 AM
An amazing story!

Well, I guess now we don't have to worry about Joe sodomizing young boys anymore.

FORD
03-18-2006, 03:19 AM
At least until the stitches come out.

bueno bob
03-18-2006, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by FORD
At least until the stitches come out.

Yeah...I'm guessing he's just going to cut it off again, anyway, so we'll all probably luck out on that aspect.

FORD
03-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Bumping "in memory" of Joey.

Cockney Cant
03-22-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm really lonely .

Please help me .

Terry
03-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Cockney Cant
I'm really lonely .

Please help me .

Get a hobby. That's a cure for loneliness.

My favorite hobby is staring at a loaded gun while simultaneously sighing and crying, all the while wondering if life's worth living...