X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

I just bought Brian Wilsons autobiography

This is a DAMN good read...anybody who hasn't read this and has more than a passing interest in the Beach Boys SHOULD.
    Twistin' by the pool.
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Probably one of the only Beach Boys books I don't own, and it's only because I heard Landy had a major hand in writing it. But that's really hearsay, so if you enjoy it, fantastic!

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Nov 2004

Bob, will you post a few bits and pieces a little now and then? This must be an awesome read...
      posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
      posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Of particular interest to me is the mid 1970s, when Wilson had a sandbox installed in his bedroom and just spent his time eating, sleeping and beating off...

Landy put the guy on too many meds in the 1980s, though. The dude was reduced to a prisoner who couldn't stop drooling from all the psychotropic drugs he was on.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
          Bob, will you post a few bits and pieces a little now and then? This must be an awesome read...
          Absolutely...let me finish it up and I'll post some highlights...
          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• bueno bob
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Terry
            Landy put the guy on too many meds in the 1980s, though. The dude was reduced to a prisoner who couldn't stop drooling from all the psychotropic drugs he was on.
            That might be true. Still, end result...Brian was a fucking mess in the early 80s...350 pounds, doing coke by the boxload...drinking out of control, anything else he could get his hands on...living in filth...

Whatever Landy did, it apparently worked - if Landy hadn't intervened, I've almost no doubt Brian would have been in his grave by 1985. Or earlier.

Just playing devils advocate
            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
              That might be true. Still, end result...Brian was a fucking mess in the early 80s...350 pounds, doing coke by the boxload...drinking out of control, anything else he could get his hands on...living in filth...

Whatever Landy did, it apparently worked - if Landy hadn't intervened, I've almost no doubt Brian would have been in his grave by 1985. Or earlier.

Just playing devils advocate
              Oh, Wilson would have been without Landy, no doubt.

Physically, Landy was good for Brian, but he turned him into a slobbering cultmember by the time it was all over...

Don't know if Wilson would be of much use in telling his own story past about 1966, but I find the whole Beach Boys saga fascinating, even though I'm repulsed by what Mike Love and the rest of them did with the name, 'specially after Dennis died.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• bueno bob
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                Oh, Wilson would have been without Landy, no doubt.

Physically, Landy was good for Brian, but he turned him into a slobbering cultmember by the time it was all over...

Don't know if Wilson would be of much use in telling his own story past about 1966, but I find the whole Beach Boys saga fascinating, even though I'm repulsed by what Mike Love and the rest of them did with the name, 'specially after Dennis died.
                It's interesting reading what Brian has to say about Mike's early years...how he always had to be the center of attention, always thought the world revolved around him...even how he disliked songs like "Girl Don't Tell Me" and "Let Him Run Wild" because they 'Fucked with the Formula'...

What an asshole that guy must be.
                Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

Fuck I remember just a couple of years ago; that old fart Mike Love was on the Faux morning show and was with his Faux beach boys band playing the song "Little St. Nick" TWICE!!!!!

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
                    Absolutely...let me finish it up and I'll post some highlights...
                    Thanks a lot, Bob. I guess it won't be that easy to put it into a nutshell, though.
                    posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• bueno bob
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                      Thanks a lot, Bob. I guess it won't be that easy to put it into a nutshell, though.
                      Ehh, it's cool. I'm right now at the point where it's about 1967/68 and Brian's having REAL problems keeping his shit together...getting pretty hard into LSD...Mike's starting to become even more despotic in his behavior, Carl's acting withdrawn...Dennis is fucking/snorting anything he can get his hands on, Al and Bruce are just kinda there...lol..."America's Band" indeed....

Keep your eyes peeled, I'll probably have it finished inside of two or three days or so...
                      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Despite all their problems, they put out a body of work which surpasses any other American band, not only in terms of overall quantity, but also overall quality. There's also more unreleased stuff than most bands actually release in their careers.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                          Despite all their problems, they put out a body of work which surpasses any other American band, not only in terms of overall quantity, but also overall quality. There's also more unreleased stuff than most bands actually release in their careers.
                          It's hard to define "The Beach Boys" as the best American band ever when the Beach Boys as a band was more illusion than anything.

In the studio you have Brian Wilson, genius though he is, creating great records with a bunch of studio musicians.

On the road you have Mike Love leading an average garage band who happenned to have a decent set of harmonies.

Best case scenario is when Brian appeared live with them, but it didn't happen very often.

And then when Carl Wilson died, any illusion of the touring band's validity went right out the window.

It's a damn shame that the Beach Boys never got to be a real band.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Well, don't let the whole 'Brian with the studio musicians' fool ya. No studio musicians were used until the Surfer Girl album, and used sparingly up until Summer Days, where they played about 50% of the album. After Pet Sounds (which was about 99% studio musicians with the exception of Brian on two cuts, Carl on one, Al on one and Denny on one, it was almost ALL Boys until Sunflower, with some studio guys used sparingly on some cuts (like Ron Brown, a roadie, and Ed Carter , touring guitarist, on bass).

Many of their greatest hits were only Boys: Surfin' Safari, Surfin' USA (possible overdub on the drums, but not documented), Shut Down, 409, Shut Down, Surfer Girl, In My Room, I Get Around (possible overdubs on drums, but not documented), Don't Worry Baby, When I Grow Up (To Be A Man), Wild Honey, Do It Again, Rock 'N Roll Music, Wendy, Little Honda, Little Deuce Coupe, and Catch A Wave, along with many others.
                            Last edited by Warham; 03-20-2006, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• bueno bob
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                              Well, don't let the whole 'Brian with the studio musicians' fool ya. No studio musicians were used until the Surfer Girl album, and used sparingly up until Summer Days, where they played about 50% of the album. After Pet Sounds (which was about 99% studio musicians with the exception of Brian on two cuts, Carl on one, Al on one and Denny on one, it was almost ALL Boys until Sunflower, with some studio guys used sparingly on some cuts (like Ron Brown, a roadie, and Ed Carter , touring guitarist, on bass).

Many of their greatest hits were only Boys: Surfin' Safari, Surfin' USA (possible overdub on the drums, but not documented), Shut Down, 409, Shut Down, Surfer Girl, In My Room, I Get Around (possible overdubs on drums, but not documented), Don't Worry Baby, When I Grow Up (To Be A Man), Wild Honey, Do It Again, Rock 'N Roll Music, Wendy, Little Honda, Little Deuce Coupe, and Catch A Wave, along with many others.
                              Glen Campbell toured for a spell while Al Jardine was back in college...Daryl Dragon was on keyboards in the touring band as well...and there were those two African guys for a while...

Damn, it'd make for an interesting thread to see how many people have actually passed through the Beach Boys doors over the years, either as a studio musician or a touring one...
                              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...