PDA

View Full Version : ZZ Top re-issues

OfficerJimmy
03-19-2006, 01:59 PM
I just bought reissues of Top's Tres Hombres and Fandango and they're grate.

They have the original mixes that weren't present on the first release of them on CD and they have some live versions of songs as well.

I hope they re-issue the other good ZZ Top albums (the ones before they sold out with Eliminator) too.

Jérôme Frenchise
03-19-2006, 02:38 PM
I do hope so too. I'm expecting the reissue of "Rio Grande Mud" then, it's my fave. Thanks for these excellent news, Jimmy! :cool:

Coyote
03-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by OfficerJimmy
I just bought reissues of Top's Tres Hombres and Fandango and they're grate.

They have the original mixes that weren't present on the first release of them on CD and they have some live versions of songs as well.

Finally! Justice for those classics!

I hope they re-issue the other good ZZ Top albums (the ones before they sold out with Eliminator) too.

They'd better. Those "six-pack" sounds are starting to get dated...

Big Troubles
03-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Classic ZZ Top, Classic Aerosmith, Classic Stones...and Classic Van Halen.

Classic.

degüello
03-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Yes, definitely looking forward to picking these babies up. It's been an oversight for WAY too fucking long.

I'm hoping they'll do the others, as well.

ODShowtime
03-22-2006, 08:33 PM
good, I hate how they remixed their shit!

BTW, as of 2005 they still fucking rock! :cool:

Hardrock69
03-23-2006, 12:28 PM
I just saw an ad for those two albums in the latest issue of Classic Rock magazine last night.

Me wants!!!!!

Are the live bonus tracks from the era in which the album was reocrded?

I REALLY would hope that there are more tunes from the live set that is on Fandango (recorded at the Warehouse, New Orleans, LA).

Hardrock69
03-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Here is the Rhino homepage with clips:

http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=78965&P=upPage

Heard It On The X sounds fucking SMOKING!!!!

:cool:

I know what I am buying this week.....

It was the Fandango Tour stop in Wichita, Kansas Nov. 4, 1976 that FORCED me to buy my first electric guitar exactly one month later and the rest is history.....

Jérôme Frenchise
03-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
It was the Fandango Tour stop in Wichita, Kansas Nov. 4, 1976 that FORCED me to buy my first electric guitar exactly one month later and the rest is history.....

For those who didn't know yet... :p

Thanks for the link, once again, you rule! :cool:

Hardrock69
03-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Yeah I blather on too much about that.

It was a life-changing event for me.

;)

Hardrock69
03-25-2006, 02:02 AM
Got Fandango tonight.

Sounds pretty cool!

Jérôme Frenchise
03-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah I blather on too much about that.

It was a life-changing event for me.

;)

:D

Fandango is my second fave. It seems I'm the only one here who ever mentions Rio Grande Mud. I can't stop repeating it's their best just IMO, but well...
I'll buy these reissues, from First Album to "Fandango", then "Eliminator". I don't care much about what they did after "Fandango" until "El Loco" (I find those albums tasteless as compared to the first four), not to mention what they've released for the last 20 years...
I prefer "Rio Grande Mud" to "Fandango" by an inch, but maybe the latter stands out, as far as fury and originality. :cool:

OfficerJimmy
03-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Rio Grande Mud is the first ZZ Top album I ever bought so its got sentimental value I guess, but its not my favorite. That would probably be Tres Hombres.

I disagree with you on the albums after Fandango, though.. Tejas is a great album, really laid-back, almost country.

Deguello isn't that bad either. There's shit like Manic Mechanic on it, but also there's my favorite ZZ Top song ever "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide" and other good ones like She loves My Automobile and Cheap Sunglasses.

Screw El Loco though, and fuck the song Heaven, Hell, or Houston.

Steve Savicki
03-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Were they digitally remastered like the VH reissues?

Hardrock, yeah... how did I know Rhino's name was going to come up?

PumpedUpMidget
03-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by OfficerJimmy
Screw El Loco though, and fuck the song Heaven, Hell, or Houston.

Tube Snake Boogie and Pearl Necklace? Don't think so.

Hardrock69
03-26-2006, 04:27 AM
Listened to it today again.

The three bonus tracks are cool, but they do not have the intensity of the first side.

Nice to have the extras though.

Man I taped that Fandango show I saw and it turned out great...then it got stolen out of my car...

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
:mad:

Coyote
03-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Got Fandango tonight.

Sounds pretty cool!

Any reverb on the drums?

Hardrock69
03-26-2006, 05:14 PM
I dunno let me check...are you asking about the live set or the studio tracks?

I do notice there is a fade-out on one of the original live tracks that used to not be there.

Hardrock69
03-26-2006, 05:26 PM
No reverb on the snare.

Coyote
03-26-2006, 06:11 PM
No reverb on the snare.

I'm only asking 'cause I listened to the preview tracks on the Rhino site with the original LP (tape-copy specifically) on standby, and I could swear there was a bit of reverb...

Hardrock69
03-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Supposedly these are the original mixes.

I did notice back in the day when the albums were released on cd, the version of La Grange I always heard on the radio had reverb on the snare.

Coyote
03-27-2006, 11:30 AM
It's propably just my ears playing tricks on me...

ODShowtime
03-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Listened to it today again.

The three bonus tracks are cool, but they do not have the intensity of the first side.

Nice to have the extras though.

Man I taped that Fandango show I saw and it turned out great...then it got stolen out of my car...

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
:mad:

ah that fuckin' sucks ass dude. I bet the 'Top totally ruled back then. Ol pearly gates and all...

ODShowtime
03-28-2006, 09:49 PM
hey, why is there two live cuts of Jailhouse rock on Fandango? They couldn't think of any other songs to put on there? Oh well, it'll still beat the original.

Hardrock69
03-29-2006, 10:10 AM
No shit....the bonus version sucks compared to the original one on side one.....

Jérôme Frenchise
03-29-2006, 11:03 AM
Damn true. And well, any band who'd have played "Jaihouse Rock" right after them would have sounded like kiddies! :cool:

Hardrock69
03-30-2006, 02:39 AM
Amen!

ODShowtime
04-14-2006, 10:37 PM
So I get Tres Hombres... and it FUCKIN ROCKS... I'm working in this weird wild west themed town all week and it was bizarre. Man the vocals and the guitar tones are Top notch.