PDA

View Full Version : Boston signs Juan Gonzalez to minor league contract

ALinChainz
03-19-2006, 08:31 PM
March 19, 2006

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) -- Juan Gonzalez, limited to one at-bat last season, agreed to a minor league contract with the Boston Red Sox on Sunday.

The Red Sox hope the 36-year-old, oft-injured outfielder can bounce back and show the form he displayed when he had three 140-RBI seasons.

Gonzalez was expected to join the Red Sox for Tuesday's home game against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. He has 434 homers, 1,404 RBIs and a .295 batting average in 17 major league seasons.

Boston has few available roster spots but the right-handed hitting Gonzalez could spell lefty-hitting Trot Nixon in right field.

First, Gonzalez must come back from a torn hamstring that ruined his 2005 season. He was injured on June 1 during his only at-bat with Cleveland. The Indians didn't offer him salary arbitration this winter.

Gonzalez spent his first 11 seasons with Texas and hit at least 39 homers six times. He moved to Detroit in 2000 and hit 22 homers with 67 RBIs in 115 games.

He joined Cleveland in 2001, the year Manny Ramirez left the Indians for the Red Sox, and batted .325 with 35 homers and 140 RBIs.

But in the next three seasons, two with Texas and one with Kansas City, Gonzalez played in just 185 games with 37 homers and 122 RBIs.

Yahoo Story (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AiTYUsBWKJeVtEZEK0Jf7.I5nYcB?slug=ap-redsox-juangonzalez&prov=ap&type=lgns)

POJO_Risin
03-19-2006, 08:35 PM
God...this guy is unbelievable...

all the talent in the world...

and injuries are killing him...

ALinChainz
03-20-2006, 12:58 AM
I always thought this guy was soft though ... wouldn't play with imjuries that many others would have ...

POJO_Risin
03-20-2006, 12:59 AM
but man...does this guy have the stats...before the injuries...that is...

ALinChainz
03-20-2006, 01:12 AM
Oh fuck yeah he does ... thats what makes it such a shame ... I know some injuries he had he, or no one else, could have played with ... but it seemed like there were some that seemd very minor in nature ...

talented as hell ...