PDA

View Full Version : Firewalls

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 01:38 AM
Ok, I finally bit the torrent, ha ha, (sorry, bad joke).

No, really, I just learned all this bit torrent stuff, but my BT program is giving me a yellow light and i think it is because of a firewall Roadrunner provides for the customers.

Anyway, how do you find out if you are behind one, and how do you make it Bit Torrent friendly?

Thanks!

thome
03-20-2006, 01:46 AM
How many Seeders are there and do you have XP or 98 or what

FORD
03-20-2006, 01:47 AM
Your software firewall should have a listing of the programs that it has open, and the ones that it has blocked.

With most newer software firewalls, you can just set it at the program level and it opens the ports automatically.

Your BT client might ask for a specific range of ports by default, but it will probably let you use whatever ports your firewall has open.

For example, Bit Tornado defaults to ports 6881 - 6889. So if you can configure specific ports in your firewall for each program, then probably best to stick to that range.

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by thome
How many Seeders are there and do you have XP or 98 or what

6 seeders and i'm on XP...

thome
03-20-2006, 01:54 AM
http://www.bittorrent.com/FAQ.html#firewall

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Your software firewall should have a listing of the programs that it has open, and the ones that it has blocked.

With most newer software firewalls, you can just set it at the program level and it opens the ports automatically.

Your BT client might ask for a specific range of ports by default, but it will probably let you use whatever ports your firewall has open.

For example, Bit Tornado defaults to ports 6881 - 6889. So if you can configure specific ports in your firewall for each program, then probably best to stick to that range.

The thing is, I don't even know if i have a firewall. the ISP says it's free, so i imagine it's just there.
I don't know how to open this program to see the stuff you refer to, lol.

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 01:59 AM
Oh, and i'm using Bit Tornado...this stuff is easier than i thought, ceptin' for this firewall issue.
But then again, maybe it's going as fast as it's going to.
it is downloading, just very slowly.

Thanks to both of you for responding by the way. ;)

thome
03-20-2006, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
6 seeders and i'm on XP...

rite mouse on your Internet Explorer Icon

go to the security tab click/ then privacy tab do both

then lower bar to Low

Or go to Start menu

click on Control panel

then click on Network connections

thenclick on change firewall settings

turn firewall off

Mine is like this but i have a security program that
promts me at an incurtion and i click ye

Ally_Kat
03-20-2006, 02:06 AM
The thing is, I don't even know if i have a firewall. the ISP says it's free, so i imagine it's just there.
I don't know how to open this program to see the stuff you refer to, lol.

You do, cuz Roadrunner NYC does and it prevents me from doing a lot with filesharing. It's evil and hates me :(

thome
03-20-2006, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
You do, cuz Roadrunner NYC does and it prevents me from doing a lot with filesharing. It's evil and hates me :(

Its automatic(default setting) but can be turned on or off best to put it back up after you finish torrenting
unless you have a security program like Norton..

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 02:13 AM
ok, i have the windows firewall off already, I need to figure out where the damn controls are for Roadrunner, and their site is not accesible right now.
I'm guessing that is where it is, and that's where i can't get, lol.

All my virus stuff is off until i reboot when i'm done.

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 02:13 AM

Do you know how to access its controls?

FORD
03-20-2006, 02:17 AM
If Road runner sets up their shit like Comcast does, you have to be running Microsoft Internet Explorer and run their proprietary web-based versions of the "security" software.

I won't give up Firefox, so I don't use their shit. Got plenty of my own options.

thome
03-20-2006, 02:18 AM
Click on the yellow light on the torrent file page It will tell you what the lights mean.

I've forgotten its been a while i usually dumped (closed) the file clicked the
X and then go to JTT or whereever you torrenting from and i would reload as i did the first time .

better connection

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 02:33 AM
I know what it means, it's tells me i'm behind a firewall and i should look into routing Bit Torrent through my firewall or proxy server, lol, and there's the sticky point.

It also says that maybe i haven't recieved any incoming connections from others. isn't that for if people are leeching off of me if i were seeding?

I got onto Roadrunner and i never downloaded their free software so i'm not using their firewall it seems.

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 02:35 AM
If Road runner sets up their shit like Comcast does, you have to be running Microsoft Internet Explorer and run their proprietary web-based versions of the "security" software.

I won't give up Firefox, so I don't use their shit. Got plenty of my own options.

I tried that firefox for a couple of days, and it was really slow so i dumped it, lol.
maybe i should try BT with that broswer, huh?

Ally_Kat
03-20-2006, 02:42 AM
Its automatic(default setting) but can be turned on or off best to put it back up after you finish torrenting
unless you have a security program like Norton..

I have Norton. I also have whatever Roadrunner does, and that's with the network, not on my computer. There's not turning it off. I've asked.

thome
03-20-2006, 02:42 AM
I forget so easily when i'm in something i can figure it out quick
and if i stop doing it i forget what i learned almost immediately
but can pick it rite up again.

Lower your fire walls the click off the torrent close it then go reload the file is all i can think of

Some times your pc wont notice a default change unless you turn it off then restart your computer

I may be the wrong person but the BT help page is good and
i'm helping all i can wish i retained better but i have a brain that
is always looking out the window for a different scene to view

Good Luck

Ally_Kat
03-20-2006, 02:43 AM

what ya mean, like the only browster you can use is IE? Cuz I don't think RR limits you to only that. My friend uses one of those weird alternative browsers on her RR connection.

Ally_Kat
03-20-2006, 02:47 AM
Do you know how to access its controls?

I'm sure there's a way to do it somehow if someone with technical knowledge sat down to do it, but of what was explained to me, it's something inhouse with them and not on my computer. I think the Lynksys has something, too, with it, because once we put that in WinMX stopped working for us (before it went closed shop). But now I have Morpheus and that works fine.

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 02:52 AM
I forget so easily when i'm in something i can figure it out quick
and if i stop doing it i forget what i learned almost immediately
but can pick it rite up again.

Lower your fire walls the click off the torrent close it then go reload the file is all i can think of

Some times your pc wont notice a default change unless you turn it off then restart your computer

I may be the wrong person but the BT help page is good and
i'm helping all i can wish i retained better but i have a brain that
is always looking out the window for a different scene to view

Good Luck

Don't sweat it, bro, It's downloading so we're making progress, lol.

Thanks for your help though, i appreciate it. ;)
It is a video file so it's freakin huge. i'm in no hurry though, about to let it run and hit the sack.

Thanks again!

thome
03-20-2006, 02:56 AM
I have Norton. I also have whatever Roadrunner does, and that's with the network, not on my computer. There's not turning it off. I've asked.

I have RR but not thier security programs (so im no help there)

Norton asks me if i want to allow the new thing i'm trying to load

Other than that i just have the standard XP IE firewalls they are easy to turn off.

Norton 2006

No Adware

Spybot

are my three securities and i think spybot is a waste Norton and Noadware catch everthing..

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 02:57 AM
what ya mean, like the only browster you can use is IE? Cuz I don't think RR limits you to only that. My friend uses one of those weird alternative browsers on her RR connection.

Yeah, the Firefox Ford mentioned.
It seemed like a really good browser, but it was slower than IE on my machine so i dumped it after a couple of days.

I'll call Time Warner tomorrow and ask some questions, but i'm getting the file i want so it's not like it isn't working.
i just wanted to get a green light if i could. thought maybe it would be faster.

thome
03-20-2006, 02:58 AM
Don't sweat it, bro, It's downloading so we're making progress, lol.

Thanks for your help though, i appreciate it. ;)
It is a video file so it's freakin huge. i'm in no hurry though, about to let it run and hit the sack.

Thanks again! Are you at JTT and what is the file i may have it and can seed and help the cause?

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 03:01 AM
I have RR but not thier security programs (so im no help there)

Norton asks me if i want to allow the new thing i'm trying to load

Other than that i just have the standard XP IE firewalls they are easy to turn off.

Norton 2006

No Adware

Spybot

are my three securities and i think spybot is a waste Norton and Noadware catch everthing..

Same here, all I have is the Norton programs and i never d/l'd the free stuff roadrunner.
if they have a firewall i can't control in place i'll be pissed though, lol.
norton asked me to allow the connection and i did, so maybe we're on track. it was just the Yellow light issue that bugged me, no biggie.
I already have the show i'm getting, it's just a much better quality one on JTT.

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 03:03 AM
Are you at JTT and what is the file i may have it and can seed and help the cause?

JTT and it's the US festival.

we're down to 5 seeders now, lol.

thome
03-20-2006, 03:06 AM
Same here, all I have is the Norton programs and i never d/l'd the free stuff roadrunner.
if they have a firewall i can't control in place i'll be pissed though, lol.
norton asked me to allow the connection and i did, so maybe we're on track. it was just the Yellow light issue that bugged me, no biggie.
I already have the show i'm getting, it's just a much better quality one on JTT.

Roth On!:cool:

thome
03-20-2006, 03:10 AM
JTT and it's the US festival.

we're down to 5 seeders now, lol.

If its the old #7 DVD i'll seed

Van Halen
May 29, 1983
Glen Helen Park
San Bernadino, CA

Source Information:
Video - Master video (remote truck)>VHS copy>DVD>DVD Decrypter>Nero 6
Video mode: NTSC
Aspect ratio: 4:3
Quality: Standard play (5073 kbps)
Resolution: 720 x 480 (CCIR-601 D1)
Audio – Master video>VHS>CDR>equalization done at WHCN studios using various equipment>Nero 6
Dolby 2.0 Digital

7.51 GB

Yes /No..?

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 03:23 AM
Yep, that's it...

thome
03-20-2006, 03:29 AM
I'm on it

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 03:32 AM
lol, cool, we're down to 4 seeders and it's gone up to 29 hours to finish, lol.
Man, maybe i should just think Morpheus like Ally? lol.

FORD
03-20-2006, 12:33 PM
I tried that firefox for a couple of days, and it was really slow so i dumped it, lol.
maybe i should try BT with that broswer, huh?

That's weird. Firefox should be a lot faster than MicroShit. Maybe your firewall was blocking it?

Unfortunately, if you can't access the controls of your firewall, then anything you install (that requires net access) is going to be slower. It sounds like Road Runner is a bunch of control freaks to me. Granted, I have my own issues with Comcast from time to time, but they have never attempted to tell me what software I can use (aside from their web based software shit)