X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cathedral
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Firewalls

Ok, I finally bit the torrent, ha ha, (sorry, bad joke).

No, really, I just learned all this bit torrent stuff, but my BT program is giving me a yellow light and i think it is because of a firewall Roadrunner provides for the customers.

Anyway, how do you find out if you are behind one, and how do you make it Bit Torrent friendly?

Thanks!
  • thome
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Mar 2005

How many Seeders are there and do you have XP or 98 or what

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Your software firewall should have a listing of the programs that it has open, and the ones that it has blocked.

With most newer software firewalls, you can just set it at the program level and it opens the ports automatically.

Your BT client might ask for a specific range of ports by default, but it will probably let you use whatever ports your firewall has open.

For example, Bit Tornado defaults to ports 6881 - 6889. So if you can configure specific ports in your firewall for each program, then probably best to stick to that range.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Cathedral
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by thome
        How many Seeders are there and do you have XP or 98 or what
        6 seeders and i'm on XP...

Comment

• thome
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Mar 2005

BitTorrent is a leading software company with popular torrent client software for Windows, Mac, Android, and more. Download now.

Comment

• Cathedral
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
            Your software firewall should have a listing of the programs that it has open, and the ones that it has blocked.

With most newer software firewalls, you can just set it at the program level and it opens the ports automatically.

Your BT client might ask for a specific range of ports by default, but it will probably let you use whatever ports your firewall has open.

For example, Bit Tornado defaults to ports 6881 - 6889. So if you can configure specific ports in your firewall for each program, then probably best to stick to that range.
            The thing is, I don't even know if i have a firewall. the ISP says it's free, so i imagine it's just there.
            I don't know how to open this program to see the stuff you refer to, lol.

Comment

• Cathedral
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Oh, and i'm using Bit Tornado...this stuff is easier than i thought, ceptin' for this firewall issue.
              But then again, maybe it's going as fast as it's going to.
              it is downloading, just very slowly.

Thanks to both of you for responding by the way.

Comment

• thome
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Cathedral
                6 seeders and i'm on XP...
                rite mouse on your Internet Explorer Icon

go to the security tab click/ then privacy tab do both

then lower bar to Low

Or go to Start menu

click on Control panel

then click on Network connections

thenclick on change firewall settings

turn firewall off

Mine is like this but i have a security program that
                promts me at an incurtion and i click ye
                Last edited by thome; 03-20-2006, 03:06 AM.

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
                  The thing is, I don't even know if i have a firewall. the ISP says it's free, so i imagine it's just there.
                  I don't know how to open this program to see the stuff you refer to, lol.
                  You do, cuz Roadrunner NYC does and it prevents me from doing a lot with filesharing. It's evil and hates me
                  Roth Army Militia

Comment

• thome
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
                    You do, cuz Roadrunner NYC does and it prevents me from doing a lot with filesharing. It's evil and hates me
                    Its automatic(default setting) but can be turned on or off best to put it back up after you finish torrenting
                    unless you have a security program like Norton..

Comment

• Cathedral
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

ok, i have the windows firewall off already, I need to figure out where the damn controls are for Roadrunner, and their site is not accesible right now.
                      I'm guessing that is where it is, and that's where i can't get, lol.

All my virus stuff is off until i reboot when i'm done.

Comment

• Cathedral
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
                        Do you know how to access its controls?

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

If Road runner sets up their shit like Comcast does, you have to be running Microsoft Internet Explorer and run their proprietary web-based versions of the "security" software.

I won't give up Firefox, so I don't use their shit. Got plenty of my own options.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• thome
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Mar 2005

Click on the yellow light on the torrent file page It will tell you what the lights mean.

I've forgotten its been a while i usually dumped (closed) the file clicked the
                            X and then go to JTT or whereever you torrenting from and i would reload as i did the first time .

better connection

Comment

• Cathedral
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

I know what it means, it's tells me i'm behind a firewall and i should look into routing Bit Torrent through my firewall or proxy server, lol, and there's the sticky point.

It also says that maybe i haven't recieved any incoming connections from others. isn't that for if people are leeching off of me if i were seeding?

I got onto Roadrunner and i never downloaded their free software so i'm not using their firewall it seems.

Comment

Working...