PDA

View Full Version : Bonds hits 660th homer Goes into thrid place passing Willie Mays

Sarge
04-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Bonds hits 660th homer in Giants' win April 12, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

SAN FRANCISCO -- Barry Bonds hit his 660th home run exactly as he would have scripted it: at home before a sellout crowd to give the Giants the lead.

The San Francisco slugger tied godfather Willie Mays for third on baseball's career list Monday with a towering three-run shot that splashed into McCovey Cove, sending the Giants to a 7-5 win over the Milwaukee Brewers.

Bonds connected in the fifth inning on a 3-1 pitch from Matt Kinney (0-1) for his second homer of the season. The estimated 442-foot blast put the Giants ahead 5-4. It was the 28th time Bonds has homered into the water.

"It was like a weight was just lifted off my shoulders," Bonds said. "I felt a sense of accomplishment in baseball. It's a relief now to be able to stand next to my godfather and finally feel like I've accomplished something in the game of baseball. It was a big way of getting his approval that I've finally done something."

The 39-year-old Bonds was greeted at home by several teammates and he stepped on the plate and raised both hands in the air and pointed to the sky.

Mays, who turns 73 next month, hurried to congratulate the six-time NL MVP, giving his godson a hug and a kiss outside the dugout. Mays presented him with a torch decorated with 25 tiny diamonds, symbolic of the number Bonds wears. They both carried the torch before the 2002 Olympics.

Bonds came back out of the dugout and waved to the fans in each direction as they cheered, "Barry! Barry!" and gave him a standing ovation. The sellout crowd of 42,548 appeared to quickly forget about the steroid controversy surrounding their star slugger and his personal trainer.

Advertisement

Children along the left-field wall bowed to Bonds when he came out to play the field in the top of the sixth. A banner of Bonds was unfurled from the light tower to the left side of the main center-field scoreboard to match one of Mays on the other side.

"I think this is probably the icing on the cake," Bonds said. "I really wish my dad could have been here to be part of it. ... I just really can't believe it, being 4 years old when my dad came up into the major leagues and having an idol like Willie Mays take me under his wing, and now being up in front of all of you people answering questions what it's like to tie the man you respected and honored your entire life."

Mays has been a mentor to Bonds since the slugger's father, Bobby, died last August.

Hank Aaron leads the career list with 755 home runs, followed by Babe Ruth with 714.

Mays hit his 660th on Aug. 17, 1973, as a member of the New York Mets at Shea Stadium off Cincinnati's Don Gullett.

"I don't even recall that. That's many years ago," said Mays, who preferred to focus on Bonds' accomplishment. "I wanted him to get it over with. No. 1, I felt like he was pressing. When Barry swings hard, nothing happens. Today, he made an easy, compact swing and it goes a long way."

Bonds, who set the single-season homer record with 73 in 2001, went five games without a homer after hitting one last Monday at Houston.

"Maybe I'm just too stupid to walk him every time," Brewers manager Ned Yost said. "I'd venture to say there's not another player on this planet better than Barry Bonds."

Bonds has repeatedly said he'd like to pass Mays at home, and the Giants began a 10-game homestand with a three-game series against the Brewers.

When Kinney saw Bonds' ball go over the fence, the pitcher walked backward off the mound and onto the grass, trying to ignore the slugger's historic home-run trot.

Bonds walked on four pitches in the first, then singled in the third. Bonds took three straight balls in the fifth -- and Kinney was booed loudly on each -- then fouled a pitch off before hitting the extra-special shot.

Fireworks went off and it was evident that this indeed was Bonds' day. Even mayor Gavin Newsom, on hand to toss out the ceremonial first pitch, had a feeling this would be the day.

Bonds followed his homer with a bloop double to left in the seventh. He came around to score an insurance run. In the eighth, Bonds made a running backhanded catch on a drive by Lyle Overbay.

Bonds received his latest NL MVP award before the game from nine-time hockey MVP Wayne Gretzky and five-time NBA MVP Bill Russell.

"This is a great honor to have Wayne and Bill here. I watched their careers," Bonds said. "To be honored up here with them is a great honor myself."

And Bonds was greeted by a nice ovation from the home crowd when he was introduced before the game in a special ceremony. A few boos were sprinkled in, but for the most part this crowd seemed to support him despite the constant questions about whether he's boosted his career with banned substances.

Giants starter Jerome Williams (1-1) pitched six innings, allowing four runs on eight hits. Matt Herges pitched the ninth for his fourth save.

Craig Counsell had two hits and Junior Spivey had a hit and two RBI for Milwaukee. Even the Brewers enjoyed watching Bonds' homer.

"For most of us, he's the best player we've ever seen," Counsell said. "You are always amazed at him. It's fun to watch him when he's that good. You don't like it because he beats (you), but there's no question there's an appreciation."
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20040412_MIL@SF

Bob_R
04-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Barry Bonds is a jackass.

High Life Man
04-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
Barry Bonds is a jackass.

Yep.

I hope he falls in the cove and drowns.

Prick.

Satan
04-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Just 6 more.... ;)

Sarge
04-13-2004, 01:26 PM
I don't like Barry Bonds.
It's amazing how some people like the guy..
BUt 10 years ago he was one of the most hated people in sports.

If he gets the record.. good for him.
The guy is nothing but a Jackass and time will tell if he did roids when he dies at the ago of 55 with an enlarged heart..

ALinChainz
04-13-2004, 01:40 PM
It is a nice little story, Mays is his Godfather, and all that. And it is a milestone, but it's pmly 3rd, and another 40 til 700, along with 55 on top of that.

This is a media driven event and now that he's reached 660, I'm glad.

Glad that they might shut up about it. It was something besides steroid talk. That's what baseball wants.

On "Pardon The Interruption" last night, they were making that point, and how unimportant it was at this time, and just then, they cut away from the show when Barry came to plate and hit it.

Like I said, good for Barry, yippee for baseball, but wake me up when he gets to the Babe, or Aaron.

redblkwht
04-14-2004, 12:06 AM
reguardless or not there will be an asterisk after the record if he gets
it bro..

Bob_R
04-14-2004, 06:45 AM
He hit his 661st last night now he's in third all by himself.

High Life Man
04-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
He hit his 661st last night now he's in third all by himself.

I wonder if they gave him another gay-ass dildo...I mean torch.

BITEYOASS
04-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Fuck him, if a player has that good of and hasn't won the world series at least once, then they are not worth a shit in my book!

BITEYOASS
04-16-2004, 12:18 PM
correction: good of a record that is

BITEYOASS
04-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by High Life Man
I wonder if they gave him another gay-ass dildo...I mean torch.

Wouldn't be surprised since he plays in San Francisco. Maybe Steve Perry will sing "Open Arms" to him!!! LOL

High Life Man
04-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
Wouldn't be surprised since he plays in San Francisco. Maybe Steve Perry will sing "Open Arms" to him!!! LOL

Did you see that gay shit when Mays handed him the torch?

At least he could have spit on it before he rammed it up Barry's ass.

POJO_Risin
04-17-2004, 01:40 AM
I'm not a Bonds fan...or a Bonds detractor for that matter...

the interesting thing about this feet is that it's been Aaron, Ruth, Mays nearly since my birth...

Now Bonds moves up another slot...with Ruth in his sights...

steroids or not...when he passes Ruth...that will be a HUGE story simply because of the name Ruth...

funny how Aaron...as great as he was...is still really an afterthought...

he IS the homerun champ...but still not really in the Ruth pantheon...

High Life Man
04-17-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
he IS the homerun champ...but still not really in the Ruth pantheon...

That's because Ruth was this country's first real superstar. His legend will carry on forever.

Like Michael Jordan, 'cept honkey like. ;)

POJO_Risin
04-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Don't kid yourself High Life...

if McGwire had kept playing...and broken Hank Aaron's record...there'd be schools named after him...

much like the Mantle vs. Mays debate...

Mays was the superior player...mainly because of Mantle's injuries and liquid diet...but irregardless...Mays was the better player statistically...

Who's cards are worth more...who is still mentioned with Ruth as far as stature...it's Mantle...a great player for sure...but not Mays...a five tool player who could win a game 27 different ways...

Ruth isn't even baseball's first superstar...let alone this country's...Honus Wagner...Ty Cobb...and a bevy of others that played before Babe's rookie season who were looked upon as superior ballplayers for many different reasons...

Babe TRANSCENDED baseball however...his prodigious attitude...home runs...philandering...and everything else made him MORE famous that hollywood actors....

he was friendly with the media...and all the good shit...

Jordan...well...I don't think he was the first superstar in basketball...;)...

again...because of his media savvy...he transcended basketball...

the similarities end there...

Aaron was a black man...threatening a white record that many thought would stand forever...he was an introvert...he never was truly considered a true power hitter...he was Fred McGriff with a few more homers every year...he played 700 years...was an above average fielder...who started off as a fivetooler...but regressed in any speed or fielding assignment after say...the 60 season (give or take)...

and never is considered one of the greats of all time...

what were we talking about again?