PDA

View Full Version : Are the Republicans acting like Democrats?

BigBadBrian
03-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Is Anyone Listening?
For six years, Bush has kept his troops in line. But suddenly, the GOP is looking rebellious, disorganized—in short, a lot like the Democrats.

By Richard Wolffe and Holly Bailey
Newsweek

March 27, 2006 issue - The banner hanging over President George W. Bush read united to victory. But as Republicans listened to Bush slog through his familiar pep talk at a $2,500-a-head fund-raiser last Thursday night, the party faithful knew they were anything but united. Over the last year, they ejected a majority leader, squabbled over ethics and spending, and openly criticized the president on Iraq, port security and a Supreme Court pick. If the Republican guests were hoping for a spiritual revival, they left disappointed. Bush's speech met with tepid applause, and GOP officials shuffled to the cash bar feeling deflated. "It just wasn't as celebratory as it has been," said one House aide who declined to be named when talking about a private event.

For five years nobody needed to blare the word "united" at Republicans; it was their biggest strength. The president handed his agenda to Congress and the party leaders delivered the votes. They twisted the arms of small-government conservatives to pass education reforms and Medicare drug benefits. They held their ranks together even as the Iraq occupation spiraled downward in 2004. And they picked up seats in two election cycles. But now that strategy has fallen apart. Members of Congress, tired of being taken for granted by an overbearing White House, have lost faith in the president's political touch. Social Security, Katrina, Harriet Miers, ports and, of course, Iraq have destroyed the aura of invincibility that once gave Team Bush its swagger.

The stress is starting to show. Republicans are beginning to look and sound like their own caricature of the Democrats: disorganized, off message and unsure of their identity. Fearful of defeat in November, GOP candidates are uncertain how to pull themselves together in the eight months left before the elections. The toughest question: whether to run, as they have in the past, as W Republicans, or to airbrush the president out of their campaigns. "What I've tried to tell people is that a political tsunami is gathering, and if we don't do something to stop it, we'll be in the minority a year from now," says Rep. Ray LaHood from Illinois. "But some people still don't get it."

The president won't have an easy time persuading wobbly Republicans to stick with him. Bush recorded his lowest approval rating in the NEWSWEEK Poll, with 36 percent; congressional Republicans trailed Democrats by 11 points (39 to 50 percent). Second-term presidents often suffer a six-year slump, losing seats for their party at this point in their tenure. But Reagan, Johnson and Eisenhower—who all watched their parties crater in their sixth year—enjoyed approval ratings in the high 50s or low 60s, according to Gallup. Bush has actually been lucky in one respect. He held his party together longer than most two-term presidents. Johnson kept control for just eight months until he suffered defeat on the parochial issue of home rule for the District of Columbia in 1965, when Democrats took him on—and won. "They saw they could vote against the president and wake up alive the next day," says presidential historian Michael Beschloss.

Republicans in Congress had the same revelation when they slapped Bush down on the Dubai ports deal. Even so, the White House and its party operatives still believe they can muscle Capitol Hill back in line. Bush's aides say that it would be suicidal for members to run away from the president. In strategy memos circulated on the Hill, Republican National Committee pollsters argue that disunity will only discourage the base from turning out to vote. But even the party's analysts concede that standing shoulder to shoulder with Bush may not always be the best way to win. In one RNC memo, pollster Dave Sackett argues that incumbents need to demonstrate their "independence" and disagreements with party leaders, but still present "an overall unified front." (The easiest way to project unity: defend Bush against attacks from the other side. That's why the GOP seized on Democratic Sen. Russ Feingold's futile attempt to censure the president over the National Security Agency eavesdropping program.)

In one way, Bush has succeeded in uniting his own party: almost everyone is together in sniping at him. Some are pressing for staff changes at the White House. Sen. Norm Coleman told the Associated Press last week that he wanted to see a new White House team with "fresh political antenna." Others are telling Bush's aides to keep the current team away from the cameras. "You are losing the message," LaHood told one White House session on Iraq last week. "We don't need Don Rumsfeld or the generals or anybody in the military out trying to explain this to the American people." The White House responded tartly that there is no staff shake-up in the works.

Some candidates are happy to stand beside Bush, as long as nobody actually sees them together. Locked in a tight race for re-election, Sen. Mike DeWine chose not to accompany Bush on one trip to his home state of Ohio last month. A week later he attended a private fund-raiser with the president in Cincinnati—out of sight of photographers and reporters.

Even Hill leaders are substituting their own agendas for the president's. In the Senate, Bill Frist announced his own immigration bill last week that focuses on border security, not the temporary-worker program favored by the president. In the House, new Majority Leader John Boehner is also striking out independently. Boehner has drawn up an eight-week strategy, without White House input, that includes a Higher Education week and Protecting the Homeland week. "This is our plan and our message," says one GOP leadership aide, who spoke anonymously about strategy. "It is our a— on the line."

Republicans once happily attacked Democrats for second-guessing the commander in chief on Iraq and the war on terror. Now they are daring to do the same. Last week House and Senate leaders backed a new bipartisan panel to study Iraq policy and draw up alternatives to Bush's current war plan. A year ago GOP members would have saluted Bush and accused his critics of "undermining the troops." But now they are ready to march in a different direction. The only question is where they'll end up.

Link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11903424/site/newsweek/page/2/)

Nickdfresh
03-20-2006, 10:01 AM
The Republicans are acting like Democrats when they were in power, and controlled most of the Federal Government; with the fracturing pressures of governance and ideological splits, corruption, and the overwhelming absence of a unifying common internal political enemy, which largely no longer exists when you take power of most of the government. They have met the enemy, and he is them...

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." --Pete Townsend

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Wow, what a shock, a politician that acts like other politicians, lol.
There are no party lines, only slaughter lines that run all the way down the hill from the meat market.

They herd us in, tell us what we want to hear, then do what they want to do.

Ever notice how when they do something good for the people it take a year to impliment yet when they do something bad it happens the very next fucking day?

This country need s a fucking enema, like i've said all along.

Nickdfresh
03-20-2006, 11:14 AM
And this country needs to stop voting along party lines. We need to vote for human beings, the best and most competent ones for the job, not Jackasses and Pink Elephants...

Hardrock69
03-20-2006, 12:19 PM
That is my usual plan...I vote for the candidates...not along party lines.

BigBadBrian
03-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
That is my usual plan...I vote for the candidates...not along party lines.

Agreed.

It should be an interesting cast in '06, let alone '08.

ULTRAMAN VH
03-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Their spending like the Democrats, actually they have exceeded the Dems in spending.

Warham
03-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
And this country needs to stop voting along party lines. We need to vote for human beings, the best and most competent ones for the job, not Jackasses and Pink Elephants...

Wow!

Our first day as mods together, and I agree with one of your posts.

What other miracles might happen today? :)

Nitro Express
03-20-2006, 02:48 PM
There's Republicans in here and Democrats in here. Reading the posts I've decided we all really want the same basic thing. A less intrusive govt., more of our own money to keep, and border and port protection.

We may differ on things like gun control, abortion, homosexuals and the same old contriversial topics but as far as the basics go, we want the same thing.

I would say I'm a moderate conservative and I feel fucking sold out by the Republican Party. I voted Independant in the last election and in the local stuff, I vote for the candidate. If anything, I'm sure as hell I didn't vote for Bush.

We live in a country that's for the multinational corporation and by the multinational corporation. Once problem is to become president these days, you need a shit load of money. I guess it's evolved into the best govt. the corporations and special intrest can buy. They buy both parties but it's nice of them to give us a choice.

Nitro Express
03-20-2006, 02:55 PM
We need to start focusing on states rights again. We are giving too much power to the federal govt. and states are too willing to suck on the federal tit.

Why not have gay marriage in the states that want it. Why not have more conservative values in states that want that? Sometimes I think it would be better if the US would split up into two or maybe three different parts.

ct2kc1111
03-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Amen to a return to States rights and less intrusive gov't. However.... there is only ONE way that will happen: TERM LIMITS. Anyone who gives that bullshit excuse that "Go vote the bastards out!" refuses to acknowledge the power of Incumbency and how the special interests - ON BOTH SIDES!- are killing it for all of us!! Give'em 2 terms to show us how much-or little- they can fuck things up and then talk to me about this team or that taem is the answer. I am a Conservative but save a few Real Republicans (and Zell Miller when he was there!) most of the current crop of crap are just a bunch of lawyers on our welfare but what other choicedo we have. Fuck it, I won't give $ to any of 'em!!!

FORD
03-24-2006, 11:13 PM
How about FAMILY limits. If you guys agree to kick those fucking Bush criminals out of your party, I promise I'll never vote for another Kennedy.

I already wasn't voting for Hillary.

Hardrock69
03-25-2006, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
There's Republicans in here and Democrats in here. Reading the posts I've decided we all really want the same basic thing. A less intrusive govt., more of our own money to keep, and border and port protection.

We may differ on things like gun control, abortion, homosexuals and the same old contriversial topics but as far as the basics go, we want the same thing.

You hit the nail on the head.

The nutshell version of what I post here is this:

It sure would be nice to have a Government Of the People, By the People, and For The People.

blueturk
03-25-2006, 08:40 AM
The Republican's biggest liability is Bush, and the sooner that they realize that the better off they will be. I think many have already, and look at the next 3 years with trepidation, hoping that Dubya doesn't fuck up too much more. The damage may have already been done...

"I can only speak to myself." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

ODShowtime
03-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
Their spending like the Democrats, actually they have exceeded the Dems in spending.

And instead of spending it American poor people who at least pay some taxes, they spend on killing and then helping worthless Iraqi poor people who think we worhsip the devil.

I say fuck each and every one of them.

Cathedral
03-25-2006, 11:50 AM

This thread actually could have ended with this post, Nick.
It says it all in a nutshell and is 200% true.

I was right to assume you and i shared a common ground, lol, and that's scary in and of itself.

:p

Warham
03-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
And instead of spending it American poor people who at least pay some taxes, they spend on killing and then helping worthless Iraqi poor people who think we worhsip the devil.

I say fuck each and every one of them.

Nice of you to view your fellow human like that, OD.

FORD
03-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Warham

About as nice as the BCE slaughtering thousands of fellow humans, half of them being children.

Cathedral
03-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by FORD
About as nice as the BCE slaughtering thousands of fellow humans, half of them being children.

Yep, almost like aborting them, eh, Ford?

blueturk
03-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral

I'm sure that no Republican and/or conservative has ever had an abortion for any reason.:rolleyes:

FORD
03-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral

I've made my position on that issue more than clear. If everyone followed MY plan, the number of abortions in this country would drop by 99.99999%, leaving only the rare occasion when it's a medical neccessity to save the life of the mother.

The problem with the abortion issue is that most of the idiots who think laws will change anything are the same morons who want to ban birth control.

If any common sense were applied to the situation, everyone would be following my plan on the issue.

But then, that's the case with most other issues as well. :cool:

Switch84
03-25-2006, 07:19 PM

:D I do vote independently; the candidates that I choose just happen to be Republican more often than Democrat. That's because I can't stomach the grandstanding and their grasping of the 'victim' mentality. They cater to the lowest common denominator of people. The race pimpin' of the Dems is quite sickening, too. Nobody owes the Katrina people shit, imo. It's nice that many Americans reached out to help them, but now it's out of hand the demands some of these 'Pookies' are making. Most of the ones here in the Atlanta metro area seem to be the ones shown looting stores and shit! LMAO, I'm SERIOUS! To be truthful, Hurricane Katrina actually helped alot of these motherfuckers. They're living higher on the hog than they were back in the Gulf.

Elvis knows who I'm talking about, and he knows I'm RIGHT.

Cathedral
03-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
I'm sure that no Republican and/or conservative has ever had an abortion for any reason.:rolleyes:

That is not my point, and you know it.
If someone is going to stand up and shout what an outrage it is for children being killed then it would be expected for them to shout what an outrage abortion is.

That was my point, you know, the whole double standard thing.

Cathedral
03-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I've made my position on that issue more than clear. If everyone followed MY plan, the number of abortions in this country would drop by 99.99999%, leaving only the rare occasion when it's a medical neccessity to save the life of the mother.

The problem with the abortion issue is that most of the idiots who think laws will change anything are the same morons who want to ban birth control.

If any common sense were applied to the situation, everyone would be following my plan on the issue.

But then, that's the case with most other issues as well. :cool:

Yeah, i know your position, It is just nice to hear it (or read it) after you make a comment about "our" bombs killing children.

ODShowtime
03-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Warham

What does my opinion matter to them? At least I didn't vote for the incompetent asshole who started the war that has killed some many of them. It was more than you could do.

And yes, pretty much fuck Iraqis. Most of them hate us, and I don't even blame them.

Cathedral
03-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
What does my opinion matter to them? At least I didn't vote for the incompetent asshole who started the war that has killed some many of them. It was more than you could do.

And yes, pretty much fuck Iraqis. Most of them hate us, and I don't even blame them.

Care to show some proof of that or is it just an assumption?