PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox get Pena for Arroyo

vheddyrmv8
03-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Sox obtain Pena, send Arroyo to Reds
Right-handed-hitting outfielder, 24, has hit lefties well
By Maureen Mullen / Special to MLB.com

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Finalizing a deal that was in the works for more than a month, the Red Sox traded pitcher Bronson Arroyo and cash to the Reds on Monday morning in exchange for outfielder Wily Mo Pena.
"We were talking to the Reds since the day [general manager] Wayne [Krivsky] took the job [in early February]," said Sox GM Theo Esptein. "[I] called to congratulate, [and we were] talking about fits.

"There was a broader fit they had in position players, specifically outfielders. We had a lot of pitching. They had a need for that. We had a need for an outfielder. Wily Mo Pena, the key for us in this deal, we think he makes sense now and for the future. He's obviously an extremely talented young player who's a work in progress."

According to a Major League source, the Red Sox are believed to have included $1.5 million, the difference between Pena's 2005 salary of $1.25 million and that of Arroyo's $2.75 million.

Despite being in the Majors full-time since 2003, Pena, 24, has just 830 career at-bats, with 54 walks and 288 strikeouts. He has a career batting average of .248. In 2005, he hit .234 against right-handed pitching, .291 against lefties. Over the last three seasons against left-handers, Pena has hit .276 with 18 home runs with 45 RBIs in 250 at-bats.

"[Hitting against left-handed pitchers is] obviosuly a niche that fits for this year's club," Epstein said. "We think his development is still going on. He's a unique case, because of his Major League contract, he was out of options by age 21."

Pena, who is expected to arrive in Fort Myers on Tuesday, said he was initially surprised by the trade.

"It was like when they traded me from the Yankees to [the Reds]," he said. "It's another team. I'll have to focus and be ready for anything.

"I wasn't thinking about [whether I would play the outfield or DH]. I was thinking about this team here [the Reds]. Now I will look at that team [the Red Sox] and see what they have and what I have to do, and where I'm going to play, and everything."

Arroyo could not be reached for comment.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060320&content_id=1356574&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

vheddyrmv8
03-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Didn't see this posted, but feel free to close it if it was.

Personally I think this is a wonderful move, Arroyo to me is overrated.