PDA

View Full Version : New LCD screen WOOHOO!!!

Hardrock69
03-21-2006, 12:48 AM
I own 3 computers, but only use 2.

One is my workhorse for audio/video processing and gaming. It is currently encoding a Queensryche concert I videotaped in 1995.

The other is to surf the net with when the main one is busy.

So anyways, I went to turn on the monitor Saturday, and it would not come on.

So, today after work I went down to a cool used computer shop I know of.

Got a ViewSonic 17" LCD monitor for $175. Made in June, 2003.

My main machine has a 21" HP Workstation CRT (Sony Trinitron).

This LCD makes it look like shit.

I will wait to convert my main machine to an LCD until I can afford a brand new 19" ViewSonic. You can get them for under 300 bucks easily right now (new).

When I buy one, I will be checking out the specs really heavily beforehand. I like my monitors to last 5 years if possible. And the LCD I buy will be for gaming, so I look forward to getting one later this year.

The only problem with this Viewsonic I got today is that it is so fucking bright...I turned the brightness control to zero, and it still looks great. I could stand to make it a bit darker. But the fucking images are sharp as hell.

The response time is not as nice as I would like, but I did not buy this for gaming and video editing.

Oh well.

Life is a never-ending upgrade.

:cool:

SO when I got home with the LCD, I used the same power cord I had used for the CRT that died.

The LCD did not work.

It worked in the store!
:(

I pulled the cord out of the power strip and plugged it into the wall.

LCD works.

I called the store and told them the CRT I left there will probably work after all.

DOH!!!! Fucking power cord.
OR the power strip.

I di not move the fucking power cord, so I dunno why it quit working like it did.

:rolleyes:

I was gonna blow 200 bucks anyway on something as a bufday present to myself. I was looking at a new 7.1 surround sound receiver.

Looks like the LCD screen is it.

flappo
03-21-2006, 12:58 PM
nice

my imac has a 20 inch screen built in

i'm getting an eyetv dtt on thursday and throwing my normal tv out

Hardrock69
03-21-2006, 01:14 PM
One thing I am gonna do later in the week is hook the new LCD up to my main machine and play Half Life 2 on it.

Seems every time I upgrade my visual hardware, I go play games on it to see the improvement!

:D

Roy Munson
03-21-2006, 01:18 PM
I've been thinking about getting an LCD, too. Are Viewsonics supposed to be "all that?"

I have a Dell Trinitron 17" at the moment.

Hardrock69
03-21-2006, 01:58 PM
ViewSonic is one of the (if the not THE) very best monitor brands on the market.

bastardog
03-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Viewsonics are very high quality. on the hardware and with the image. They are simply good

FORD
03-24-2006, 03:01 AM
Hardrock, did you have any storms or power surges in your area recently? Sounds like the internal circuit breaker in your power strip got flipped over.

If you can't reset it, then it must have been fried. Better that then the computer or the LCD though.

Hardrock69
03-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Well, no real storms. Maybe power surges, but nothing extreme enough to fuck anything else up.

Power strip works fine.

Something weird about that one outlet I guess....I have other stuff hooked up to the other sockets on it, and they all work fine.

I dunno.

Don't matter anyway.

Man...after working on my machine at work with a CRT, I get home and look at the LCD and it blows me away!

The sharpness is incredible!!

What I like about it also is if ya go to the ViewSonic website, they have a link you can click on and they have embedded software that will check out your monitor and optimize the settings automatically!