PDA

View Full Version : 3 Western Aid Workers in Iraq Rescued in Military Operation

BigBadBrian
03-23-2006, 11:20 AM
3 Western Aid Workers in Iraq Rescued in Military Operation
By EDWARD WONG and CHRISTINE HAUSER
BAGHDAD, Iraq, March 23 — Three Western peace workers who were held hostage in Iraq for four months were rescued in a military operation today, two weeks after their American colleague was killed in captivity.

The three men — James Loney, 41, and Harmeet Singh Sooden, 32, both from Canada; and Norman Kember, 74, of Britain — had been kidnapped last November along with the American man, Tom Fox, in Baghdad while working with the Chicago-based Christian Peacemaker Teams.

Mr. Fox's body was found this month. He had apparently been tortured by his captors before being shot multiple times in the head and dumped on a trash heap next to a railway line in western Baghdad.

"Our hearts are filled with joy today as we heard that Harmeet Singh Sooden, Jim Loney and Norman Kember have been safely released in Baghdad," said a statement from the peace group. "Together we have endured uncertainty, hope, fear, grief and now joy during the four months since they were abducted in Baghdad."

The delegation coordinator for the group, Claire Evans, said by telephone that Mr. Loney, a 41-year-old Canadian, had contacted his family this morning from the Green Zone, the fortified compound in Baghdad where some American military forces, Iraqi government offices and the American Embassy are located.

"He said that they were all in reasonable health," she said, adding that the three men were undergoing medical checks.

The men were freed by multinational forces in a military operation.

The hostages were found when American-led forces raided a house in western Baghdad, acting on information from one of two detainees interrogated late Wednesday night, Maj. Gen. Rick Lynch, a spokesman for the American military, said at a news conference in Baghdad. The kidnappers were not in the house. The men were in "relatively good condition," he said.

In London, the British foreign secretary, Jack Straw, said the mission had included British forces.

"It follows weeks and weeks of very careful work by military and coalition personnel in Iraq and many civilians as well," Mr. Straw said, adding that it involved a number of countries, including Canadian personnel.

Mr. Straw said that Mr. Kember was in "reasonable" condition and that the two Canadians had to have hospital treatment. He said he had spoken with Mr. Kember's wife. "Of course, it goes without saying that she is absolutely delighted, elated, with this news," Mr. Straw said.

The Loney family released a statement today saying that Mr. Loney had been released unharmed with his two companions.

"What a joyful day this is," the family's statement said. "We have just learned that James is coming home." The statement also expressed sympathy for Mr. Fox's family.

The Christian Peacemaker Teams organization promotes peace and human rights in conflict zones.

On March 7, all but Mr. Fox appeared on a tape shown by the Arab television network Al Jazeera. The tape was dated Feb. 28 and showed the three men talking, though the video was silent. Before that, the hostages, including Mr. Fox, were seen on a video released Jan. 28.

The Swords of Righteousness Brigade, an insurgent group, has said it was holding the men and threatened to kill them if all Iraqi prisoners were not released.

In an interview with the Canadian network CBC, Mr. Loney's brother, Ed, said Mr. Loney had told his parents in the phone call from the Green Zone that he was well.

"He was concerned about us, about family and about other people who were worried about him," Ed Loney said. "Which is pretty typical for Jim — put others first before himself."

He said he did not know when his brother would return to Canada but he imagined how they would celebrate.

"Have a meal, and maybe play some cards and just listen to each others' stories, and sit across the table and look at each other, and hold hands and give each other hugs and just do what we can to support each other," Ed Loney said.

Kidnappers in Iraq have taken both foreigners and Iraqis hostage to press their demands for ransom, or often portraying the hostages on videotape pleading for foreign troops to withdraw from Iraq or for Iraqi prisoners to be freed.

Jill Carroll, a freelance writer for The Christian Science Monitor who was kidnapped Jan. 7 in Baghdad, is still missing. Since her abduction, she has appeared in three videotapes accompanied with messages that convey her kidnappers' demands.

Today, at least 18 people were killed in two car-bomb attacks in Baghdad that struck a police patrol and the headquarters of a major crimes unit, according to the Interior Ministry. The casualties included five civilians and 13 police, while 32 police and civilians were wounded.

Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/23/international/middleeast/23cnd-hostages.html?ei=5065&en=544b2c32fb08db4e&ex=1143781200&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print)

Mr Grimsdale
03-23-2006, 03:14 PM
I did find this story a bit ironic when I heard it on the radio. I wonder how these pacifists felt about being rescued by the nasty chaps in flak jackets they were protesting about.

What's also quite amusing is how the UK media said the operation was led by British forces and this story says it was the US in the lead. I dunno, these bloody journos eh? It was probably led by some kid and his donkey.

LoungeMachine
03-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Regardless,

I'd like to acknowledge THIS POSITIVE NEWS OUT OF IRAQ, and for the record commend the brave men who performed this heroic act.

Nickdfresh
03-23-2006, 03:16 PM
I heard that it was an SAS-led operation...

Mr Grimsdale
03-23-2006, 03:54 PM
commonly called sneaky beaky stuff

WACF
03-23-2006, 04:41 PM
An interesting twist...I wonder how our media will handle this.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/03/23/canadian_role060323.html

There have been reports that Canada's top secret commandos, Joint Task Force 2, had been working in Iraq. It's believed they worked in tandem with Britain's elite Special Air Service (SAS).

Nickdfresh
03-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Interesting...

So the Canadian counter-terrorists are RCMP, much like in Germany where the GSG-9 is a unit of the "civilian" Border Guards or Polizei rather than a military special forces unit...

WACF
03-23-2006, 09:09 PM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/story.html?id=e0a4f59f-0cb2-4ffb-ba9c-cae2334f5ba8

Nickdfresh
03-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Aha! Interesting, thanks...

Cathedral
03-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Regardless,

I'd like to acknowledge THIS POSITIVE NEWS OUT OF IRAQ, and for the record commend the brave men who performed this heroic act.

My respect for you just got a well needed shot in the arm, Lounge.
It's not that tough to praise the good while damning the bad, good job my friend.

Thank You!

Cathedral
03-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I heard that it was an SAS-led operation...

Oh well, it's still part of the Coalition Forces is it not?

Just say "Good Job", and then shut the fuck up already.

WACF
03-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Interesting...

So the Canadian counter-terrorists are RCMP, much like in Germany where the GSG-9 is a unit of the "civilian" Border Guards or Polizei rather than a military special forces unit...

At one time the RCMP did handle the counter terrorist stuff...it was decided that the military needed to take more of a role.
That is where the JTF or rather Joint Task Force name came from for the special forces (I think we should of resurected the Canadian SAS...much cooler name...and bound in tradition).
There is little news of what the mounties were doing there...perhaps they are still involved to a degree.

Nickdfresh
03-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Oh well, it's still part of the Coalition Forces is it not?

Who said it wasn't? I was just mentioning this to another poster...

Just say "Good Job", and then shut the fuck up already.

Sure thing stud. I so love it when you're macho.http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Nickdfresh/butch.gif

Nickdfresh
03-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Dupe. This thing is slow today...

Nickdfresh
03-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by WACF
At one time the RCMP did handle the counter terrorist stuff...it was decided that the military needed to take more of a role.
That is where the JTF or rather Joint Task Force name came from for the special forces (I think we should of resurected the Canadian SAS...much cooler name...and bound in tradition).
There is little news of what the mounties were doing there...perhaps they are still involved to a degree.

Actually, I think you have the Special Service Force (http://www.groups.sfahq.com/fssf/), which was a joint US-Canadian unit in WWII modeled on the Rangers...

WACF
03-24-2006, 11:49 AM
The Special Service Force is a pretty cool story...and a nice history.
I believe the 1st Parachute Battalion which became the Canadian Airborne Regiment took over the specialized role with it's Rangers and Pathfinders.
When we lost the CAR those capabilities were lost.
The JTF came about in the early ninties.

We had the Canadian SAS also...they disbanded after WWII.
It would of been nice to see the name come back...it has alot of honour to it earned by it's members during it's short history.

Mr Grimsdale
03-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by WACF
An interesting twist...I wonder how our media will handle this.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/03/23/canadian_role060323.html

There have been reports that Canada's top secret commandos, Joint Task Force 2, had been working in Iraq. It's believed they worked in tandem with Britain's elite Special Air Service (SAS).

That's pretty much what was reported over here, a joint UK/US/Canadian special forces gig.

Nickdfresh
03-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Those guys are often interchangeable...

Now if they could get back that Christian Science Monitor chick...

Angel
03-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Those guys are often interchangeable...

No they're not Nick. Canada is not part of the coalition. JTF (supposedly) was there strictly for this hostage situation. Although, I know they've used some of our special forces in other wars which we supposedly weren't a part of (such as Vietnam).

Nickdfresh
03-24-2006, 02:25 PM
I was speaking of special operators' training...

Canucks, Brits, and Yanks routinely train together...

Angel
03-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Gotcha... give me a break, I AM blonde, y'know. :)

WACF
03-24-2006, 02:55 PM
And a cute one too...

There are some Canuks in iraq...
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1143154016554&call_pageid=970599119419

Our Special Force members do quite often embed themselves with US or British Special Forces teams.
The best training in the world is the real thing.

Like Nick said...these guys are interchangable.