PDA

View Full Version : hidden gems

stringfelowhawk
03-26-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm curious about something I've noticed lately and now I'm wondering who else has caught on to this.

I was going through some of my mp3 cd's and I found an unmarked cd that a friend gave me. When I say unmarked I mean it didn't have listed what was on it. I remember him scribbling on it so that's how I knew where it came from. But I forgot what was on it so I gave it a listen and something caught my attention. He threw all these 80's songs on it by practically everyone. It had a Crue album on it and since there were no song titles I had to wait for the first few notes to tell what song was playin then I skip to the next song etc. I came across "You're All I Need" and it's been years since I've heard that song. It dawned on me that alot of bands have one song that would be a b side way back when. You know tha one song that is just a kickass song that has a "cult" status with most fans? The one that should have been their "Stariway" or "Freebird". It rarely, if ever gets played live or ends up on a hits cd as a bonus track but is never released as a single or anything. If they're ever put on record it's just one of the album tracks ya know?
Van Halen's "Angel Eyes", Crue's "You're All I Need". Hell, "Freebird" was released but it was the live version that made it a classic. IMO Dave's hidden gem is either "Black Sand" or "Tell The Truth". It made me wonder why bands sit on songs like that. I'm not a hardcore Crue fan but I think that song is a great one. If more bands would have done a ballad like that it would have made the hair band era a little more tolerable. That song is not a cliche' ballad like most every other was back then. Mick Mars is a sloppy guitar player without question but I think this is his moment. It just fits the song perfectly. If you've never heard it before give it a listen. Vince even stays on key and sings it like he means it. Opinions?

FORD
03-27-2006, 04:14 AM
I think "Black Sand" could have been a big hit. Probably "Goin Places" as well. The whole album's great, but those acoustic songs should have been all over the radio, both on the classic rock stations and the "adult alternative" format that plays all the folkie, Lilith Fair kinda stuff.

Mr Badguy
03-27-2006, 06:22 AM
"Ain`t no fun waiting `round to be a millionaire" by AC/DC.

I was just listening to that the other day and I would say it was a hidden gem.

Most of it is one chord chug with only Bon Scott`s dynamic phrasing carrying the song along.

Only the intro and the brief chorus change the pattern.

How many other bands could bash out one chord for 7 minutes and never get boring?

FORD
03-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Hey Howard how's it going friend, my next door neighbor?

Oh yeah...... GET YOUR FUCKIN JUMBO JET OFF MY AIRPORT!!

Classic Bon Scott!

stringfelowhawk
03-27-2006, 04:39 PM
"Ain`t no fun waiting `round to be a millionaire" by AC/DC.

Oh my GOD! I was just listening to that yesterday at work. A guy I work with has over 10 G of music on one of our work computers that's not connected to the net. Between the both of us we have almost everything relevant for the past 50 years. I'm not kidding. We started downloading shit just to make a database so we could both just burn whatever we wanted that the other of us had. I still need to add my heavy case. I hate carrying this F*cker cause it has 300 cd's and liner notes etc. It ways almost 30 lbs according to my bathroom scale. Its full of cds that I bought not burnt so I have ALL the liner notes in there. It's a bitch to zip up. I had planned to just download all my shit from my mp3 player to that computer but I busted my lcd screen so I had to go back to mp3 cd's to save space. I had a Sony with 20G hard drive and practically all but maybe 15 or 20 of my 600 cd collection on it and only took up 11.3 G of its space. Man I loved that thing. Then I found out it was gonna cost $150 to fix the screen and it would wipe my drive clean so I just trashed it. Not worth it now that IPOD is starting to get cheaper and better.

AC/DC-Man that is just coincidence. That song which happened to be playing and its the first time I've heard it, well, I haven't heard it this decade anyway. Go Figure!

Funny how things like that happens.... It's like "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon" or some shit!