PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court judge says civil rights for Guantanamo inmates 'crazy'

BigBadBrian
03-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Supreme Court judge says civil rights for Guantanamo inmates 'crazy'

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A US Supreme Court judge has said it would be "crazy" to give war on terror detainees rights in civil courts, and has castigated Europeans for criticising the Guantanamo detention camp, media reports said.

The comments attributed to Justice Antonin Scalia were published a day before the Supreme Court starts hearing a key challenge to special military tribunals for "war on terror" suspects at the US naval base in Cuba.

"War is war, and it has never been the case that when you captured a combatant you have to give them a jury trial in your civil courts," Scalia said during a talk on March 8 at the University of Freiburg in Switzerland, Newsweek magazine reported.

"Foreigners, in foreign countries, have no rights under the American Constitution," Scalia said, according to the www.scotusblog legal website, adding that "nobody has ever thought otherwise."

"If he was captured by my army on a battlefield, that is where he belongs," Scalia told the audience.

"I had a son on that battlefield and they were shooting at my son, and I'm not about to give this man who was captured in a war a full jury trial. I mean it's crazy."

The conservative judge's son, Matthew, fought in the Iraq war.

Scalia also said he was "astounded" at the "hypocritical" reaction to the Guantanamo camp in Europe.

Some legal experts said the comments could be a reason for Scalia to withdraw from hearing the case of Salim Ahmed Hamdan --- Osama Bin Laden's former driver -- in which he is arguing that the US administration does not have the constitutional right to order special military trials.

The case may also examine the extent to which the Geneva Conventions protect Guantanamo detainees.

Supreme Court chief justice John Roberts has already withdrawn from the hearing because he ruled on the Hamdan case while serving as an appeal court judge.

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060327/pl_afp/usattacksguantanamo_060327151552)

Seshmeister
03-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Facist

FORD
03-27-2006, 07:37 PM
I'll bet Scalia's kid never saw a day in Iraq. Too bad really. That might just have been enough to make him overturn his worst ever illegal decision.

Warham
03-27-2006, 08:23 PM
They shouldn't have civil rights.

FORD
03-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Who, the Scalias?

Warham
03-27-2006, 08:29 PM
No, terrorists being held by the US.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
03-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Who, the Scalias?

This, actually, is a VERY funny comeback.

Seshmeister
03-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Warham
No, terrorists being held by the US.

Who says they are terrorists?

Who fucking knows?

How many of them are terorists.

1,2, 10, all of them?

How can you possibly know?

Nickdfresh
03-28-2006, 08:29 AM
What about American citizens captured as "enemy combatants" in the US?

And if the inmates at GITMO don't deserve US legal protections, then shouldn't they be held as "EP(O)Ws?"

Why don't we just adopt the Argentine "Dirty War" method?

BigBadBrian
03-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Who says they are terrorists?

Who fucking knows?

How many of them are terorists.

1,2, 10, all of them?

How can you possibly know?

Kill 'em all, let God sort them out.

:gun:

BigBadBrian
03-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

And if the inmates at GITMO don't deserve US legal protections, then shouldn't they be held as "EP(O)Ws?"

The key phrase in your first statement was "American citizens."

The final two statements are just sheer ignorance.

:gulp:

Nickdfresh
03-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Yeah, that always works...

Oh course, there's always more to replace them with, and your just a "Christian Terrorist" then... And your gov't becomes a lawless, fascist state.

Nickdfresh
03-28-2006, 08:38 AM
The key phrase in your first statement was "American citizens."

The final two statements are just sheer ignorance.

:gulp:

My ignorance? You just vindicated everything I said...

Stop calling my tea kettle black, BigBlandBlunder... When should we get Junta together?

Warham
03-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

They don't deserve US legal protections. They should be put up in front of a military tribunal for conviction and sentencing.

Seshmeister
03-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Your government has committed such a terrible human rights abuse on these people that even if a few of them are guilty of a crime then no valid court could convict them of anything.

jhale667
03-28-2006, 07:14 PM
They don't deserve US legal protections. They should be put up in front of a military tribunal for conviction and sentencing.

Wonder if you'd be singing a different tune were YOU to suddenly (hypothetically, of course ;) )be labeled an 'Enemy Combatant'....

bobgnote
06-20-2006, 04:53 PM

Like in the hanging trial of Moussaoui, the USA is GUILTY, for SENTENCE. Since no even enforcement of US law is available, ISLAMIC JUSTICE meted out on special occasions by holy warriors must serve.

With CIA, no reps in US administration or justice, and no standing but as illegally detained, illegally prosecuted defendants, the detainees are being motivated to actually participate in attacks on the USA and to recruit others to attack us, with more dedication than ever before.

kentuckyklira
06-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Yeah, cos

torture ainīt torture

murder ainīt murder

and a massacre ainīt a massacre

as long as Americans are doing it!

jcook11
06-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I'll bet Scalia's kid never saw a day in Iraq. Too bad really. That might just have been enough to make him overturn his worst ever illegal decision.

Wasn't his worst "illegal" decision making Dubya your president?

kentuckyklira
06-20-2006, 05:27 PM

:gun: Well, whatīs so bad about a few toppled skyscrapers then?

After all, if godīs doing the sorting out, most of the victims ought to be fine!

Guitar Shark
06-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
This, actually, is a VERY funny comeback.

I agree, I laughed out loud at that.