PDA

View Full Version : How much alcohol is bad?

Mr. Vengeance
03-29-2006, 04:19 PM
I always consider myself a moderate drinker. I rarely get wasted to the point where I can't walk/talk/function. I don't get in my car and drive. I don't drink on the job. I've never missed a day of work in over 15 years. Sure, there have been days when I had a few too many and had to go into work with a hangover, but those days are rare.

However no one can really seem to give an answer as to how much drinking will kill you eventually. I'm good for at least 2-3-4 beers a night and have been for many a year. On weekends, I love getting a little toasted with a bunch of rum drinks. Some people would look at my alcohol intake and say, "You're an alcoholic" which is shit in my opinion. I can go without if I wanted to/have to, and have when I haven't had the funds that week to blow on a case of beer.

How much do you drink? How long have you been good for that average? And do you concern yourself with how that amount will affect you in the future?

I got inspired for this discussion by the recent EVH discussions and how badly it seems to affect him.

jcook11
03-29-2006, 04:26 PM
It depends on my mood. usually 3-4 beers a night... however last night I didn't feel like drinking at all. On the weekends I usually get ripped and watch sports.

Mr. Vengeance
03-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Sports is my downfall....watching a game, I get caught up and next thing I know, it's a sixpack later. Playing video games too....

Ally_Kat
03-29-2006, 08:27 PM
i dont think anyone could tell you exactly how many beers or shots or whatnot would kill anyone because there's so many factors to how much someone can hold.

I don't drink often but when there's a party, i drink to excess and I've never had a hangover, i've never puked, and i can remember what i did. But it's always a large amount and i don't even want to test after that. And that's with mixing and the sort. I suppose one day i'll find out.

Seshmeister
03-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
I always consider myself a moderate drinker. I rarely get wasted to the point where I can't walk/talk/function. I don't get in my car and drive. I don't drink on the job. I've never missed a day of work in over 15 years. Sure, there have been days when I had a few too many and had to go into work with a hangover, but those days are rare.

However no one can really seem to give an answer as to how much drinking will kill you eventually. I'm good for at least 2-3-4 beers a night and have been for many a year. On weekends, I love getting a little toasted with a bunch of rum drinks. Some people would look at my alcohol intake and say, "You're an alcoholic" which is shit in my opinion. I can go without if I wanted to/have to, and have when I haven't had the funds that week to blow on a case of beer.

How much do you drink? How long have you been good for that average? And do you concern yourself with how that amount will affect you in the future?

I got inspired for this discussion by the recent EVH discussions and how badly it seems to affect him.

The whole thing is a lottery.

Government health advice is that if you have more than 6 units in a night you are a BINGE drinker. That's 4 European strength beers on a Saturday night.

You have to have less than 28 units as a guy in a week or you will die immediately.

There was a study in Scandinavia 10 years ago that compared people that don't drink any alcohol to people that had 70 units a week and found no difference in how long they lived.

70 units a week is 5 strong beers every night or 3 bottles of vodka a week.

Personally I'm over that some weeks but just thought I would share. It's all about your luck. I could be struck down tomorow and die from liver failure or I could live to my late 80s like Winston Churchill who drank twice as much as me.

Are you good at Blackjack?

There is no answer it's all percentages.

Cheers!

:gulp:

EbDawson
03-30-2006, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
There was a study in Scandinavia 10 years ago that compared people that don't drink any alcohol to people that had 70 units a week and found no difference in how long they lived.

Good enough for me. Bottoms Up!

EbDawson
03-30-2006, 01:25 AM

Eddie's problem is that he weighs maybe 100 pounds, probably doesn't eat and gets no exercise aside from tilting a bottle. Probably smoking like a chimney too.

Coyote
03-30-2006, 02:26 AM
How much do you drink? How long have you been good for that average?

A few pints every now'n'then. Been on that average for a year now.

And do you concern yourself with how that amount will affect you in the future?

No, not really.

rustoffa
03-30-2006, 08:49 PM
New year's eve? Saint Patty's day?

Just another wednesday morning @ casa de rustoffa.

diamondsgirl
03-30-2006, 08:59 PM
I have wine or beer just about every night with dinner. One while making dinner and one while eating. And then I usually have a night cap right around this time. I am having Baileys at the moment.

When I go out with my friends we do the designated driver thing. Usually the person who has to get up the earliest the next day for work, etc.. is the DD. Or we just take turns.

If I am not the DD, I will have many cocktails. I can handle my booze pretty well. The number depends on what I am drinking...how strong it is...what I have had to eat ( or not) etc.

If I am the DD, I will just have a beer or two and then switch to water or diet coke.

jcook11
03-31-2006, 04:37 PM
The only time I've ever puked is the day 5150 came out I bought a fifth of vodka and a twelve pack of beer,By the time my first wife got home from work I was laying in the bathtub with the shower on fully clothed in my own vomit!

Angel
03-31-2006, 04:54 PM
I used to be an extremely heavy drinker, but now I drink a few times a year, and only if I'm super relaxed and comfortable with the people I'm with.

Joints? Well, that's a different story...