PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame safety Zbikowski to box at Madison Square Garden

ALinChainz
04-01-2006, 01:08 PM
By TOM COYNE, AP Sports Writer

March 28, 2006

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) -- Notre Dame safety and amateur boxer Tom Zbikowski will fight his first professional bout June 10 at Madison Square Garden.

A news conference to announce the heavyweight fight is scheduled for Wednesday in New York City, his father, Ed Zbikowski, said Tuesday. No opponent has yet been named.

Zbikowski said the fight will not jeopardize his son's NCAA football eligibility.

"As long as he does no sponsorships or endorsements, he can do it," he said.

Notre Dame did not have a spring football practice session Tuesday and Tom Zbikowski was not available for comment. Coach Charlie Weis also was not available for comment.

Mike Karwoski, Notre Dame associate athletic director who oversees NCAA compliance, said Zbikowski can promote the fight, but can't promote any commercial products. He said Zbikowski is well aware of what he can and cannot say.

"He's in the loop. Coach Weis is in the loop," Karwoski said.

NCAA spokesman Kent Barrett said college athletes can be professionals in one sport and remain eligible to play another NCAA sport. John Elway and Drew Henson both played minor league baseball while retaining their football eligibility. Colorado football player Jeremy Bloom lost his eligibility in 2004 when he refused to give up his skiing endorsements.

Zbikowski, a third-team All-America last season, was fourth on the team in tackles last year with 71 and led the team with five interceptions. The 5-foot-11, 202-pound defensive back also was 13th in the nation in punt returns, averaging 14 yards a return.

His father said Zbikowski, who has a 75-15 amateur record, is excited about fighting in New York.

"There are guys that are tremendous fighters that don't get the chance to fight at Madison Square Garden," Ed Zbikowski said.

The fight will be part of the undercard for a WBO junior welterweight title fight between Miguel Cotto (26-0, with 22 knockouts) and Paul Malignaggi (21-0, 5 KOs).

AP Story (http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpaHJkYzlxBF9TAzk1ODYzOTU2BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-notredame-zbikowski&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Unchainme
04-01-2006, 01:16 PM
I'll bet money thudner posts about him fighting him or Brian Minto planning on fighting him.

ALinChainz
04-01-2006, 01:27 PM
On my site, I keep a boxing thread news going ... but its why I don't do it here.

He's an idiot.