PDA

View Full Version : Us Contractor Fails to Build Iraqi Healthcare Facilities

LoungeMachine
04-03-2006, 07:57 PM
3 April 2006 16:48 Home > News > World > Americas

US project to rebuild health system has run out of money
By Andrew Buncombe in Washington

Published: 04 April 2006

A plan to build 142 health clinics in Iraq has run out of money with only 20 of the centres completed.

The contract, awarded to the US company Parsons, was intended to restore Iraq's healthcare system, once considered the best in the region. Instead the contractor will walk away having completed just 15 per cent of the planned construction, unless emergency funding can be found.

Naeema al-Gasseer, the World Health Organisation's representative for Iraq, told The Washington Post it was a "shocking" state of affairs. "We're not sending the right message."

The US Agency for International Development says that in Iraq "diarrhoea, measles, respiratory infections and malaria - compounded by malnutrition affecting 30 per cent of children under five - contribute to excessive rates of infant and child mortality". Child malnutrition has doubled since the invasion, according to Jean Ziegler, the UN Human Rights Commission's expert on the "right to food", and now stands at around 7.7 per cent.

Brigadier General William McCoy, the US Army commander with control over reconstruction projects in Iraq, said emergency funds were being sought for the clinics from the US military and foreign donors.

A plan to build 142 health clinics in Iraq has run out of money with only 20 of the centres completed.

The contract, awarded to the US company Parsons, was intended to restore Iraq's healthcare system, once considered the best in the region. Instead the contractor will walk away having completed just 15 per cent of the planned construction, unless emergency funding can be found.

Naeema al-Gasseer, the World Health Organisation's representative for Iraq, told The Washington Post it was a "shocking" state of affairs. "We're not sending the right message."

The US Agency for International Development says that in Iraq "diarrhoea, measles, respiratory infections and malaria - compounded by malnutrition affecting 30 per cent of children under five - contribute to excessive rates of infant and child mortality". Child malnutrition has doubled since the invasion, according to Jean Ziegler, the UN Human Rights Commission's expert on the "right to food", and now stands at around 7.7 per cent.
Brigadier General William McCoy, the US Army commander with control over reconstruction projects in Iraq, said emergency funds were being sought for the clinics from the US military and foreign donors.

LoungeMachine
04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

If anyone can point out the "good news" in this, please feel free to to enlighten us.

3 years later and BABIES are dying from dirty water in hospitals?

Perhaps our focus on 14 military bases, as well as THE WORLD'S LARGEST EMBASSEY may have clouded our priorities.

Those brave and hard working men and women fighting over there so that hospitals COULD be built probably have a thing or two to say to this company :mad:

DEMON CUNT
04-03-2006, 08:10 PM
If anyone can point out the "good news" in this, please feel free to to enlighten us.

3 years later and BABIES are dying from dirty water in hospitals?

This ain't about helping the Iraqi people no how much Warham says it is.

People like Warham have to believe that we are over there for altruistic reasons, because anything else is just too terrible to even fathom.

LoungeMachine
04-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
This ain't about helping the Iraqi people no how much Warham says it is.

People like Warham have to believe that we are over there for altruistic reasons, because anything else is just too terrible to even fathom.

He's not the only one wearing blinders...

Catheter, ASSVibe, and even Ally lately seem to believe everything's going swimmingly over there, it's the damn "liberal" media's fault.

There is no slaughter, torture, or civil war.

There are no wasted, unaccounted for BILLIONS

Freedom is on the march.

And it's UnAmerican to say otherwise......

:rolleyes:

DEMON CUNT
04-03-2006, 08:51 PM
He's not the only one wearing blinders...

My Christian supremist Father, who has been a die-hard Bush man all along, is starting to see the cracks in the facade. All he would say is "I am very ashamed of what is going on over there (Iraq)." When I talked to him this past weekend. I was shocked.

So there is hope for all of them. ALL of us need to take our country back.

One thing I figured out during my hiatus is that the left and right really need to learn to compromise with each other. There is room for all of us.

Warham
04-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Why did you go on hiatus anyway?

DEMON CUNT
04-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Warham

Just needed some time away from this. I spent a lot of time arguing with you guys and gals.

Warham
04-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Just needed some time away from this. I spent a lot of time arguing with you guys and gals.

You have more common sense than I give you credit for.

DEMON CUNT
04-03-2006, 10:01 PM
You have more common sense than I give you credit for.

And I can say the same about you. You can articulate your views. I don't agree with you very often, but I understand where you are coming from.

Warham
04-03-2006, 10:05 PM
DEMON,

My worst side comes out on this forum, as far as being seen as some kind of right-wing nut.

I'm far more kind and gentle off the forum, and hardly ever talk about Clinton anywhere else.

It's 25% razzing the libs here and having fun, 25% frustration, and 50% is my actual views on things.

Warham
04-03-2006, 10:12 PM
And I can say the same about you. You can articulate your views. I don't agree with you very often, but I understand where you are coming from.

Don't give me too much credit on articulation.

Several of the other guys here are much better at that than I. I get those brain blocks all the time when I write stuff. I think everything out ahead of time, then when it comes time to write, my mind locks up.

lol

BigBadBrian
04-04-2006, 08:48 AM

He went on hiatus because he got tired of me emberrassing him all of the time. Now he's back for another thrashing.

:D

:gun:

LoungeMachine
04-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

he got tired of me emberrassing him

Oh, the irony...:D

Hardrock69
04-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
He went on hiatus because he got tired of me emberrassing him all of the time. Now he's back for another thrashing.

From who...you?

LMFAO!!!

LoungeMachine
04-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Don't give me too much credit on articulation.

Don't worry.